Lead Removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead Removal

attrapereves
05-17-2014, 13:18
I've been shooting up some 185gr LSWC rounds that I have left over from my 1911 days out of my Glock 21. I noticed that there is just a little bit of leading forward of the chamber. Luckily, the rest of the barrel is perfectly clean.

Only reason I'm shooting them is just to shoot them up.

My local stores don't carry Chore Boy, but they do carry Scotch Brite copper pads. Will these work for removing the lead?

These: Amazon.com: 3M Scotch Brite Scrubbers & Sponges (Copper Scrubbing Pads 2Pk): Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y0uTFHctL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Y0uTFHctL

On a side note, is leading near the chamber a sign of too much velocity or too little? These loads had no leading in my 1911.

unclebob
05-17-2014, 13:22
If they are 100% copper? Yes.

norton
05-17-2014, 13:35
I've been shooting up some 185gr LSWC rounds that I have left over from my 1911 days out of my Glock 21. I noticed that there is just a little bit of leading forward of the chamber. Luckily, the rest of the barrel is perfectly clean.

Only reason I'm shooting them is just to shoot them up.

My local stores don't carry Chore Boy, but they do carry Scotch Brite copper pads. Will these work for removing the lead?

These: Amazon.com: 3M Scotch Brite Scrubbers & Sponges (Copper Scrubbing Pads 2Pk): Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Scrubbers-Sponges-Scrubbing/dp/B00JVXZB2O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1400353763&sr=8-7&)

On a side note, is leading near the chamber a sign of too much velocity or too little? These loads had no leading in my 1911.

Don't use them unless you are sure they are 100% copper.

attrapereves
05-17-2014, 13:36
I've been reading some negative things about them on the cast boolits forum. I think I'll try to locate Chore Boy.

Mangomike
05-17-2014, 13:46

SJ 40
05-17-2014, 14:00
I've been reading some negative things about them on the cast boolits forum. I think I'll try to locate Chore Boy.Chore Boy states that the composition of there pads is 99.9 Copper.
I know Ace hardware stores carry them. SJ 40

WiskyT
05-17-2014, 14:01
I used to work at a indoor gun range in south Florida years ago and we used to rent handguns to the public and they would shoot lead semi-wad cutters through them and they would really lead up the barrels after a few thousand rounds, the way we used to get "the lead out" was to shoot six or seven full power copper jacketed bullets through them and it would clean out all the lead everytime! You might want to give it a try can't hurt.

That is purported to be very bad. Supposedly it packs the lead into the rifling and makes it near impossible to get out. My Beretta armorers' manual even warns against it.

That said, I used to do it for years before I "knew better". Frankly, I still do it now and then on the rare occasion that I have a load that leads. Based on Beretta's warning, I won't advise anyone to do it, but, I have found that it works very well.

attrapereves
05-17-2014, 14:46
Chore Boy states that the composition of there pads is 99.9 Copper.
I know Ace hardware stores carry them. SJ 40

Exactly where I found them. It took quite a bit of arm work, but I was able to get the lead out.

I'll be glad when these bullets are used up! I think I've got only about 300 left.

unclebob
05-17-2014, 15:00
Everything that I have read also is donít shoot jacket bullets out of the gun after shooting lead in, trying to get the lead out.

Three-Five-Seven
05-17-2014, 19:09
Walmart carries chore boy.

PCJim
05-17-2014, 19:49
Deleted

PCJim
05-17-2014, 19:50
I used to work at a indoor gun range in south Florida years ago and we used to rent handguns to the public and they would shoot lead semi-wad cutters through them and they would really lead up the barrels after a few thousand rounds, the way we used to get "the lead out" was to shoot six or seven full power copper jacketed bullets through them and it would clean out all the lead everytime! You might want to give it a try can't hurt.

Copper on top of lead doesn't sound like an easy removal in your future. I'd avoid the procedure if possible. Then again, after using the Chore Boy, there is still some minute lead particulate left in the barrel of my Sigs. Guess the ultimate cleaner is some mercury.

Not all of them. Here in S FL, the store I frequent doesn't (or at least we haven't found them in the store yet).

fredj338
05-17-2014, 19:52

Yeah, an old shooters tale. As WT notes, you are only ironing the lead into the rifling & worse, plating copper over the top. This only makes lead worse when shooting ear again.
Chore boy, a bit of kroil oil, 4-5 passes with that, oiled patch done.

attrapereves
05-17-2014, 22:17

Mine doesn't. Apparently people use them as filters in crack pipes, so they are getting hard to find. My local Ace hardware keeps them behind the register so that people don't steal them.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 05:07
Just like there is steel wool, there is copper wool. Home Depot should have it near the other abrasives. There's also brass wool which might work better.

Bren
05-18-2014, 06:26
I've been reading some negative things about them on the cast boolits forum. I think I'll try to locate Chore Boy.

Same here - I found those when I was grocery shopping, but after a little reading I'm going to Walmart for the ones that say "Pure Copper" on the label.

unclebob
05-18-2014, 07:24
Copper on top of lead doesn't sound like an easy removal in your future. I'd avoid the procedure if possible. Then again, after using the Chore Boy, there is still some minute lead particulate left in the barrel of my Sigs. Guess the ultimate cleaner is some mercury.

If you have a stainless steel or Glock barrel you can mix 50/50 of vinegar and hexagon peroxide, and let the barrel soak for no more than 10 minutes. Then rise real, real well. This will get rid of the lead in a barrel also. A lot safer than using mercury.
Remember 10 minutes is max. So donít put it in then walk off and forget about it. Unless you would like to buy a new barrel.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 07:41
If you have a stainless steel or Glock barrel you can mix 50/50 of vinegar and hexagon peroxide, and let the barrel soak for no more than 10 minutes. Then rise real, real well. This will get rid of the lead in a barrel also. A lot safer than using mercury.
Remember 10 minutes is max. So donít put it in then walk off and forget about it. Unless you would like to buy a new barrel.

I wouldn't go more than 3 minutes and use it only as little as possible unless you consider a barrel a wear item. My buddy pitted his SS barrel pretty bad with that solution when he let it go too long (longer than the 10 minutes you caution about). The 50/50 solution works great, but it can be bad voodoo on steel and should not be considered a solution to a leading problem.

F106 Fan
05-18-2014, 08:35
I don't have time to fool around trying to see if there is any lead and, if so, removing it.

I use the Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Richard

garander
05-18-2014, 09:20

I was getting the same ring of leading forward of the chamber in my glock 30.
Switching from bullseye to unique solved that problem.

fredj338
05-18-2014, 11:39

I was getting the same ring of leading forward of the chamber in my glock 30.
Switching from bullseye to unique solved that problem.
Often the throat is a little large & the bullet too hard/small or both. Faster powders exploit this. Often switching powders to something a bit slower helps. For me, casting my own, just don't make them harder than something like 10bhn, 0.452" min for the 45acp. It's more a pressure issue than vel, another old shooters tale.

PCJim
05-18-2014, 20:49
Fixed the "minute particulate" problem. I double wrapped the bronze brush with Chore Boy today, greatly expanding the diameter of the old worn out brush. Barrel is now whistle clean. Guess I didn't have enough diameter previously to really let the copper scrub the barrel. Then again, that brush may have been a 9mm brush and I was using it in a 40. Regardless, the barrel is definitely clean now.

Jason D
05-19-2014, 19:40
I don't have time to fool around trying to see if there is any lead and, if so, removing it.

I use the Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Richard

I was wondering when someone would mention the Lewis.
Lewis is the definitive way to mechanically clean lead from a chamber, barrel, and forcing cone.

I used one this morning after my range trip.

fredj338
05-19-2014, 21:47
I was wondering when someone would mention the Lewis.
Lewis is the definitive way to mechanically clean lead from a chamber, barrel, and forcing cone.

I used one this morning after my range trip.

They work great, but really no better than a bronze brush & ChorBoy.:dunno:

DWARREN123
05-20-2014, 06:35
Try a Tornado brand bore brush, works very well on cleaning bores, all brass.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 10:57
Try a Tornado brand bore brush, works very well on cleaning bores, all brass.

The issue with those is they are ss. Putting a steel brush in your bore isn't helping it, puts micro scratches in the steel that attract & hold copper or lead fouling. IMO, stop using them, go to a bronze or nylon. If you need something stubborn removed, ChoreBoy or a Lewis is safer than ss in any bore.

PCJim
05-21-2014, 08:07
They work great, but really no better than a bronze brush & ChorBoy.:dunno:

:agree:

Samuel_Hoggson
05-24-2014, 03:37
Here's the poor man's Lewis. For .45s, take a .35 jag and wrap a piece of Scotch-brite pad around it - enough so it is somewhat snug in the bore. Then take a glob of Copper wool and tightly wrap that around the Scotch-brite. The wool imbeds in the SB. You want a very snug fit to remove all the lead.

Geez, people worry about Pb toxicity. Mercury is way more toxic.

Sam

PhantomF4E
05-24-2014, 17:56
Please take note . Shooting copper out of a leaded bore is not done without some level of risk . Sure a Ruger redhawk is going to be fine . All guns are not the same . If you have a heavily leaded bore and you shoot copper through it you will increase your pressure . While I have not personally heard of kabooms because of it , take some time and scrub the bore with a chore boy before you change over . No need to play Russian roulette with pressure .
Walmart has them And I have even found them at Winn Dixie if you live in the south . Amazon sells them . I just said nuts to the intermittent availability and did what the .22lr hoarders did . I bought up a lifetime supplyall at once . Copper is not going to get cheaper in the future . Guess I can always use them to scrub pots when my eyes get too bad to shoot !!