Neighbors can see me playing with reloader. Problem? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors can see me playing with reloader. Problem?

vtducrider
05-17-2014, 19:22
I finally got my reloader going again at the new house today! Having no basement, I naturally set up the bench in the garage. It was a beautiful sunny day in Austin, not too hot, a little breezy. It was quite nice and comfortable playing shop in the garage. Having a jolly old grand time, until some neighbors were out walking by, with kids, dogs in tow... That got me thinking, is it cool to play with the garage door open? It hadn't occur to me until today, that some people might know what I am doing, and feel uneasy about it. What do you guys think?

Photoman642
05-17-2014, 19:27
Some will. Some wont. There was a guy in the neighborhood that would walk his dog and always stop by and talk about my old car. One day he walked by and realized what I was doing at the reloading bench... Never heard another word from the guy... He walks by and will not even look. I don't take it personal. You never know what's happened in a person's life and why they feel so strong about guns.

I prefer that the whole neighborhood not know that I have guns so I try to keep a low profile but I don't live like a hermit either.

lefty60
05-17-2014, 19:30
I would be more worried about stories starting that you have valuable "stuff" in your garage/house.:wow: :dunno:

Stay safe:supergrin:

fredj338
05-17-2014, 19:48
Up to you, but I don't want unknown people knowing my business & what I own & do. It's an invite for trouble, but your decision. I reload in my garage too. I just never have the door up more than 1/3 when doing it. Keep in mind all manner of people drive by your open garage too.

cfrye11
05-17-2014, 19:51
Why not stop the door about two feet from the ground . That way you get some air and no one can see exactly what your doing.

They will just figure your doing drugs.

cftye11

vtducrider
05-17-2014, 20:02
I will try partially closing the garage door... It's only going to get hotter here, for the next 5 months :( Probably will have to change play time to early morning or at night.

PCJim
05-17-2014, 20:02
I, too, don't want the world to know that I reload. Seems that every reloader I know also has a nice cache of firearms. Why advertise?

Kind of like back in the 60's and earlier, you'd often find a gun case in a home - a windowed showcase where a hunter would show off his prized collection. You don't see them much any more as folks have learned that advertising only brings undesirables.

I reload in the garage, four presses and a major collection of brass, tools, bullets and what nots. While there is a double window at the bench, the front yard is well landscaped to keep the general public at the street from seeing in. I get nervous anytime I have to have a repair mechanic come to the house. Sometimes, I'll try to cover up what I can, but it's near impossible. I was quite joyed when the pool repair man saw the equipment, took an interest the hobby and has now become a fellow reloader and shooter. BTW, king sized sheets help a bit. Let their imagination run rampant; those sheets are for keeping dust off of the bench. :supergrin:

Beanie-Bean
05-17-2014, 21:37
You are in the libturd capital of TX...there will be some anti-gun idiots close by. Shoot...one of my neighbors still has his 0bama/b1den sticker on his cars. Just be careful about turning your back to the street if you leave your garage door open--you never know who will be passing by.

I usually load late at night or early in the morning, and have a box fan close by to help out. You'll get used to the heat after a while, and you'll soon figure out that the best times to hit the range in the summertime are in the early morning hours just as the range opens.

LASTRESORT20
05-17-2014, 22:25
~ "That got me thinking, is it cool to play with the garage door open?" ~

*To each their own....
......But one never know`s how big of a can of worms a nosy...`Gossippie` neighbor can open...many enjoy privacy and never tempt chance...

BobbyS
05-17-2014, 22:58
I will try partially closing the garage door... It's only going to get hotter here, for the next 5 months :( Probably will have to change play time to early morning or at night.

Exactly why I just ordered a mini split ac system today for my garage. Gonna do a whole lotta reloading this summer. I'm in NM so it gets warm here too.

Three-Five-Seven
05-18-2014, 07:04
You can be the nicest guy in the world, have no bad intentions, smile at your neighbors, always say "hi", and some assclown who knows nothing about guns will ask you "whatchadoin?". Next thing you know, the story will be circulating in the neighborhood about the terrorist who has evil gunz and enough ammo to supply an insurrection.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but eventually someone who knows nothing about our culture -- and who is phobic about guns -- will ask you what that contraption is. The consequences will affect the freedom you think you have in these matters.

Stay on the best possible terms with all your neighbors. Keep your garage door closed.

unclebob
05-18-2014, 07:49
A friend of mine was loading in his garage quite a few years ago about 2 in the morning with the garage door open and the radio on but not load enough for the sound to leave the property. A Sheriff’s deputy pulls up and tells him that his radio was too loud. So then my friend asked the deputy what he really was there for. It seems someone either drove by or walked by and seen a bottle of Nitro 100 sitting on the table with the label facing the road and thought he was building a bomb.
If I had to load in the garage I would build me a reloading room that had heating and air. Something I’m thinking about doing. So we can turn my reloading room in the house back into a guest bedroom. Or I would at least install a window air conditioner.

FLIPPER 348
05-18-2014, 08:11
I finally got my reloader going again at the new house today! Having no basement, I naturally set up the bench in the garage. It was a beautiful sunny day in Austin, not too hot, a little breezy. It was quite nice and comfortable playing shop in the garage. Having a jolly old grand time, until some neighbors were out walking by, with kids, dogs in tow... That got me thinking, is it cool to play with the garage door open? It hadn't occur to me until today, that some people might know what I am doing, and feel uneasy about it. What do you guys think?

This America, reload in your front yard if you want.

I do it and build/fit 1911s with the garage door fully open and there is plenty of pedestrian traffic as my house is at the base of a popular hiking trail.

Three-Five-Seven
05-18-2014, 09:39

I do it and build/fit 1911s with the garage door fully open and there is plenty of pedestrian traffic as my house is at the base of a popular hiking trail.

One wonders how many lists you're on.

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2014, 10:07
I prefer that the whole neighborhood not know that I have guns so I try to keep a low profile but I don't live like a hermit either.

:agree:

Obviously if they see you reloading (and know what you're doing) they will know their are guns in the house. Personally, I just don't like my neighbors knowing that sort of thing.

unclebob
05-18-2014, 10:24

Even though you may have the legal right to do whatever you want on your property. With this terrorist threat climate we live in now. Why would anyone want to draw attention to one self? Then one day you have a Liberal cop show up and have to explain on what you are doing to someone that thanks that only cops should have guns. Just because you can does not mean that you should.

fredj338
05-18-2014, 11:25

Yeah I understand the thought, but you are asking to have your home burglarized when you are away, foolish. Same reason I don't put nra stickers on my car, leave my front door unlocked, etc. yeah you have the right but doesn't make it smart.

blastfact
05-18-2014, 12:26
I do as I want. I set on the front porch and trim brass, sort brass, clean weapons. I have a old Carver The Receiver and a pair of Bose 101's I fire up. The audio equipment has been on the front porch for 15 years. The town and county I live in is largely democrat at the local level. And the blacks love Obummer. But everybody is a 2A supporter and owns firearms. The number of firearm owners is amazing.

The Cops, DA and Judges are big time 2A supporters. And stand your ground has been the norm here long before it was law. The trash in town has ended up in one of four places. Dead, Long Term Prison, within one of three area's in town were they can steal and rob from each other. Or down the road.

unclebob
05-18-2014, 19:25
I do as I want. I set on the front porch and trim brass, sort brass, clean weapons. I have a old Carver The Receiver and a pair of Bose 101's I fire up. The audio equipment has been on the front porch for 15 years. The town and county I live in is largely democrat at the local level. And the blacks love Obummer. But everybody is a 2A supporter and owns firearms. The number of firearm owners is amazing.

The Cops, DA and Judges are big time 2A supporters. And stand your ground has been the norm here long before it was law. The trash in town has ended up in one of four places. Dead, Long Term Prison, within one of three area's in town were they can steal and rob from each other. Or down the road.

What a revelation blacks are for Obama. What I can’t understand is if people are pro 2A why they keep voting for Democrats. A Politician will say anything they can to get elected. They also may believe in the 2A. But once they get to Washington they will vote the way Harry Reed and Nancy Pelosi want them to vote. Democrats are not pro 2A no matter what they say.

fredj338
05-18-2014, 22:40
What a revelation blacks are for Obama. What I can’t understand is if people are pro 2A why they keep voting for Democrats. A Politician will say anything they can to get elected. They also may believe in the 2A. But once they get to Washington they will vote the way Harry Reed and Nancy Pelosi want them to vote. Democrats are not pro 2A no matter what they say.
Because they are confused or dishonest with themselves. You can not in honesty call yourself a progun democrat, they are diametrically opposed. Every time you vote for your union job or some other liberal cause, you are voting against your gun rights! Confused or stupid, just give up your guns & let the govt save you, leave the rest of us alone.
We'll face this soon in nov. go vote, vote sart, vote for a rep, regardless of your libertarian convictions. Sometimes it's about winning the war not a single battle.:whistling:

LASTRESORT20
05-18-2014, 22:52
Yeah I understand the thought, but you are asking to have your home burglarized when you are away, foolish. Same reason I don't put nra stickers on my car, leave my front door unlocked, etc. yeah you have the right but doesn't make it smart.

exactly ...and well said..

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2014, 23:14
Because they are confused or dishonest with themselves. You can not in honesty call yourself a progun democrat, they are diametrically opposed. Every time you vote for your union job or some other liberal cause, you are voting against your gun rights! Confused or stupid, just give up your guns & let the govt save you, leave the rest of us alone.
We'll face this soon in nov. go vote, vote sart, vote for a rep, regardless of your libertarian convictions. Sometimes it's about winning the war not a single battle.:whistling:.

Hopefully this thread will not turn into political mayhem.. but I totally agree with this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

norton
05-19-2014, 05:32
I load in a spare bedroom on the second floor of my house. I am careful about who I let in my reloading room, I don't talk to the neighbors about my hobby. When I head to the range every Saturday I try to be careful about guns I transport in my Jeep, keeping my handguns in a satchel I got from work. I cast in my garage, but the door is usually down to keep the dog from escaping.

Bren
05-19-2014, 05:34

I think you've been living in the city/suburbs too long.:upeyes: From birth, I'd assume.

Bren
05-19-2014, 05:42
We'll face this soon in nov. go vote, vote sart, vote for a rep, regardless of your libertarian convictions. Sometimes it's about winning the war not a single battle.:whistling:

Within my lifetime - prior to Ronald Reagan, Democrats in the south were still the party of the Confederacy. In Kentucky, it is still like that. All of our pro-gun laws were written, sponsored and passed by Democrats and there is no state more pro-gun and pro-self-defense than Kentucky (including the "constitutional carry" states). Kentucky has voted overwhelmingly Republican in every presidential election after Carter won in 1976, but our state government is always overwhelmingly Democrat (2, 1-term Republican governors since WW II, 8 ever). Only 2 or 3 counties of 120 have significant numbers of national-style Democrats.

I realize that may not be true of Texas Democrats.

You people talk as if the alleged change in the Democrats happened long ago - it wasn't the 1860's when the KKK was last all Democrat - it was the 1960's.

Note: I realize that, on the national level, the Democrats may still be pro-slavery and anti-black, but they hide it behind a screen of left-wing fake social issues.

Photoman642
05-19-2014, 05:56
Well.. it has been a thought provoking thread for sure. I think I need to be a little more confidential with my reloading.

jmorris
05-19-2014, 06:48
Austin is a pretty Liberal city but your still in TX. Hell my neighbors can see me shooting.

Only reason I might be worried would be if your neighbors were thieves.

vtducrider
05-19-2014, 09:19
I think you've been living in the city/suburbs too long.:upeyes: From birth, I'd assume.

Ha! Yep, been living in the suburbs all my life. I am not sure if you were insinuating negativity, or simply a cause and effect.

I had lived in Vermont since I was 16, been a shooting enthusiast since 19. I lived in my previous home for 15 years, a lot of neighbors there are also shooters, I have invited a couple of them over and taught them how to reload. I had a full basement with a shop built in it. So those concerns never crossed my mind until now. I also just downsized from a 3400 sqr ft house to just over 1700, single story. Loving the simpler living, but there is no room in the house to setup the reloader.

Neighbor next door is also a shooter, he actually stopped in on Saturday when I was in the garage. We made plans to reload a batch of 40's for him when he gets some bullets. My house has a security system, which I never had any experience with until now. I don't care for it, but I think it does provide some peace of mind. Neighbor across the street is a single mother, and is dating an ex-con, who has come over soliciting business for lawn care. I politely declined (before I even learned that he was an ex-con).

I didn't expect this thread would turn into political. But you can't talk about the mindset of some people without bringing up politics. I need to be more discrete, and careful about who I share my hobbies with in the neighborhood, or befriend in general... I may have been too complacent in a brand new place.

Bren
05-19-2014, 09:47
Ha! Yep, been living in the suburbs all my life. I am not sure if you were insinuating negativity, or simply a cause and effect.

I was saying that only city people would even wonder, for a second, whether somebody might objecting to reloading ammunition. The thought had never crossed my mind, prior to reading your thread.

vtducrider
05-19-2014, 10:23
I was saying that only city people would even wonder, for a second, whether somebody might objecting to reloading ammunition. The thought had never crossed my mind, prior to reading your thread.

Well, when in Rome you can't ignore Rome, right? In your neck of the woods, it's probably perfectly normal to see folks with hunting rifles slung across their shoulders in the field.. You remember what happened just a couple of weeks ago in TX (Houston?) when people called the cops on the open carry Texas demonstrators at Jack-N-Box... It's not that far fetched that the same people might call cops because their neighbor is producing ammunition in the garage. I am not worried if cops show up since I am not breaking the law in any way, but I don't want to see the neighbors being tense and feel compelled to call the police.

fredj338
05-19-2014, 13:04
Within my lifetime - prior to Ronald Reagan, Democrats in the south were still the party of the Confederacy. In Kentucky, it is still like that. All of our pro-gun laws were written, sponsored and passed by Democrats and there is no state more pro-gun and pro-self-defense than Kentucky (including the "constitutional carry" states). Kentucky has voted overwhelmingly Republican in every presidential election after Carter won in 1976, but our state government is always overwhelmingly Democrat (2, 1-term Republican governors since WW II, 8 ever). Only 2 or 3 counties of 120 have significant numbers of national-style Democrats.
.[/I]
Then I submit they are confused voters. All I am saying is pick a frickin side. Otherwise the libs win, like in 2012. If you are pro union, pro abortion, anti religion, fine, be antigun & stop the madness. No reason for Obama to get re elected, he was worse for this country than Carter. The indep & consrev need to wake up before it's all gone to crap.

judgecrater
05-19-2014, 16:02
Why not stop the door about two feet from the ground . That way you get some air and no one can see exactly what your doing.

They will just figure your doing drugs.

cftye11
That is what I do. Air but no visibility.

FLIPPER 348
05-20-2014, 08:19
One wonders how many lists you're on.

I don't care. I don't hide my reloading and shooting hobby. I clean guns on my front deck.

FLIPPER 348
05-20-2014, 08:34
........Then one day you have a Liberal cop show up and have to explain on what you are doing to someone that thanks that only cops should have guns.

I would not so politely tell the 'liberal cop' to kiss my entire ass and leave me alone. I shoot ocasionally with one of the local Police, the cute blond one, so I don't think it's a problem. Things are different here in the West is seems, we don't hide our 2A rights.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 10:55
I would not so politely tell the 'liberal cop' to kiss my entire ass and leave me alone. I shoot ocasionally with one of the local Police, the cute blond one, so I don't think it's a problem. Things are different here in the West is seems, we don't hide our 2A rights.

HA! Maybe in Bend but certainly not in Portland! I am not afraid of being on a list, I am sure that has already happened, many times. No, my concern is the opportunistic thief. Many will drive neighborhoods looking for potential lucrative targets. Freely giving such info is just foolish, no matter how much bravado you throw at it. Can't be a tough guy if you are away from home when they hit it.:dunno: As always, to each his own. Just no crying when you get burglarized.

unclebob
05-20-2014, 11:37

I have lived in all four corners and in the middle of the United States. What goes on in Bend Oregon may not be or is the same in like California, Chicago, and most of the North East. Or even different parts of the same state.
Just about all of my neighbors that live around me know that I have guns, reload, and my wife tells a lot of her friends. That I have guns and reload and shoot competition. The people around here are mostly military or retired military or has something to do with military. For the most part there is very little crime in this area.

aerod1
05-20-2014, 12:18
I reload in my garage with the door open all the time. I don't give a rip if the neighbors see. This is MY house and I do what I want !

jmorris
05-20-2014, 18:27
I was playing with my bowling ball cannon when I first finished it out in the hay meadow. The next week my "next door neighbor" was picking up her mail as I came in and I stopped and talked to her.

She said she was scared for a few minutes "awhile back" that I might have dropped a sheet of steel on myself, until she heard the same sound again a few minutes later and figured everything was ok.

Video
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bbc/th_2bbc.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bbc/2bbc.mp4)

Just depends on who you have living around you.

PCJim
05-21-2014, 08:43
Morris, you've some cool contraptions!

vtducrider
05-21-2014, 10:03
I was playing with my bowling ball cannon when I first finished it out in the hay meadow. The next week my "next door neighbor" was picking up her mail as I came in and I stopped and talked to her.

She said she was scared for a few minutes "awhile back" that I might have dropped a sheet of steel on myself, until she heard the same sound again a few minutes later and figured everything was ok.

Just depends on who you have living around you.

That's AWESOME!

jmorris
05-21-2014, 16:14
Our farm is a lot further out from the city limits than our house, so we play with a bit more noisy stuff but from the calls to the Sherrif that are listed in the county paper, a few have called in over the years on some stuff. Never have seen any LEO's unless there has been a county wide burn ban in effect and whatever we might be doing makes fire.

Turn the sound off, if you have kids around, because of the potty mouth in this one.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/th_175bottle-1.jpg (http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/175bottle-1.mp4)

It's tannerite under a 55 gallon drum held up by 3 "soda" cans.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/barrel.jpg

What the bottom looked like after it hit the ground.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/lid.jpg

Hard to hide stuff if it makes much noise and you want to have fun.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/th_mglock18.jpg (http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/mglock18.mp4)

***DON'T DO EITHER OF THEM AT HOME***, unless you can do them legally, safely and far enough away.

jmorris
05-21-2014, 16:43
If you don't have a burn ban in effect, old clogged paint cans can be cool.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage11.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage9.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage12.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage10.jpg

Again objects appear closer than they are and I know I am melting the ice caps but the methane the cows put off everyday does more harm than I do all week.

PCJim
05-21-2014, 21:22
What did you use for ignition?

jmorris
05-22-2014, 05:43
Set the can on a paper towel and lit it. In the 2nd photo you can still see a bit of it still setting on the plate.

Maine1
05-22-2014, 23:13
Never, never, NEVER again will i live, at least long term, in an urban environment. And if i do, it will have to be a DAMN cool reason for me being there.

I reload, buck ass nekkid, or in my baler twine thong, with chicken blood all over my face, in my driveway at midnight..

That's right i'm RURAL!

seriously, I have a shop i reload in. if you see me reloading, you damn well better be invited. the neighbors know i shoot and have guns, just like i know they like to drink and shoot into the woods at night...

I forge knives, use chainsaws, load ammo, chrony ammo, my wife rides her horses, i train in martial arts, with weapons, build things, exersize, my son digs holes, plays with the hose, chases the cats, dogs, chickens, and my wife has 9 horses on the property.

I'd keep the door cracked, as has been mentioned. or, dedicate a house room to it- AC, right? :)

with discretion, i made knives in my apartment in CA, worked kydex, ect. No one ever said anything. its just how you do it.

WAIT- isn't it REQUIRED that you reload twice a week in Texas? :)

Angry Fist
05-22-2014, 23:30
Never, never, NEVER again will i live, at least long term, in an urban environment. And if i do, it will have to be a DAMN cool reason for me being there.

I reload, buck ass nekkid, or in my baler twine thong, with chicken blood all over my face, in my driveway at midnight..

That's right i'm RURAL!

seriously, I have a shop i reload in. if you see me reloading, you damn well better be invited. the neighbors know i shoot and have guns, just like i know they like to drink and shoot into the woods at night...

I forge knives, use chainsaws, load ammo, chrony ammo, my wife rides her horses, i train in martial arts, with weapons, build things, exersize, my son digs holes, plays with the hose, chases the cats, dogs, chickens, and my wife has 9 horses on the property.

I'd keep the door cracked, as has been mentioned. or, dedicate a house room to it- AC, right? :)

with discretion, i made knives in my apartment in CA, worked kydex, ect. No one ever said anything. its just how you do it.

WAIT- isn't it REQUIRED that you reload twice a week in Texas? :)
Quoted for awesomeness... sans baler twine thong. I thought that was a Missouri thang. :rofl:

kendric98
05-22-2014, 23:59
How about a big new air conditioner that way the door can be closed?

novalondon
05-23-2014, 18:05
To my neighbors of 30 yrs. reloading ought to be common place, cleaning a weapon or just having one on me when out and about is something I have always thought as the norm for them. My wife and I were both police officers, I was a motor officer and it came home every night and parked at the ready in my garage.
For 25 yrs. the neighborhood knew we were both in law enforcement so it stood to reason they all knew we carried and owned a weapon or multiple weapons.
Now that we have both retired the neighbors still think we are "cops" as when ever a siren passes by within ear shot we are ask where it is going and why it headed that way, "as if we really knew"...
As for reloading My reloader is both on the bench in the garage with a double car garage door open in the nice weather. I also have a small 4 legged grinding wheel bench I bought at Harbor Freight I have put a thick wooden top on and mounted my reloader equipment on so when we travel I can take it with us and reload out of our RV.
My only instance was when a lady walking her dogs in the RV park we were in saw me cranking out 5.56/.223 rounds. She saw the tub full (near 5000 rounds) and got nervous and went to the office and told the managers I was maybe doing something wrong. They told the lady about the wife and I being retired law enforcement and that was all it took to settle her down.
Where you reload or clean a weapon or do anything associated with weapons it will draw "someone's" interest for all the wrong reasons. What you need to do is figure out what is comfortable for you and legal. The reason I say or added legal is so when the law shows up because the person offended calls them is that your stuff stays with you at the place you are at the time your doing it....and not in evidence at the office.! PS: thx for letting me join your site !

blastfact
05-23-2014, 19:16
I was just out on my porch and threw 500 rounds of under charge in some 10mm brass I'm going to trickle up for more nuke loads. Was setup on one of my sandstone pillars with a simple Lee powder measure, 5 bags of new prepped Winchester Nickle brass. A 4lb jug of 800X and five loading trays. With my G20 on my hip.

A buddy was setting on the porch cleaning his brand new M1 Carbine he picked up for dirt cheap. Sweet shooter.

We had the tunes going. People going about there afternoon. Cops driving by, waving with a smile. A small city park next door. Kids of all ages playing. Heck four of them were my grandchildren.

Both of us nursing a Bud Light.

I some times wonder WTH I'm Doing in OK. much less Okmulgee. Drive 80 to 90 miles a day round trip to Tulsa for work. Live in a old neighborhood. In a old Craftsman style house. That really is a Craftsman/Sears kit house from 1921 that needs a ton of work. Get paid half what I'm worth at work. But over all play by my rules at work. Between the wife and I and our youngest daughter. We own the east side of our block.

Then I remember. I do what I want here. :)

fredj338
05-23-2014, 21:26
I was just out on my porch and threw 500 rounds of under charge in some 10mm brass I'm going to trickle up for more nuke loads. Was setup on one of my sandstone pillars with a simple Lee powder measure, 5 bags of new prepped Winchester Nickle brass. A 4lb jug of 800X and five loading trays. With my G20 on my hip.

Both of us nursing a Bud Light. .

Then I remember. I do what I want here. :)
Drinking while reloading & carrying a gun. Yes you sure do what you want there, it does raise questions though.:whistling:

blastfact
05-23-2014, 23:32
Drinking while reloading & carrying a gun. Yes you sure do what you want there, it does raise questions though.:whistling:

What questions. I was nursing a Bud Light. Not slamming them or drinking them after being used in a bong. Or would it have been better drinking blonde bean coffee and jacked on caffeine at levels most cut crank can't match. Or should I have been drinking water throwing short charges.... OOO I bet your worried about the nuke loaded G20 on my hip. Damn drunk with a gun. :tongueout:

deputy1199
05-24-2014, 14:56
I have room inside the house where I set up my reloading bench but I clean my guns in the garage because my wife doesn’t like the smell of powder solvent or gun oil. And I usually have one garage door open for ventilation, which leaves me in full view of anyone walking or driving past my house as I field strip, clean and reassemble my several Glocks. Many of my neighbors are gun owners who do not consider my actions unusual.

fredj338
05-24-2014, 18:20
What questions. I was nursing a Bud Light. Not slamming them or drinking them after being used in a bong. Or would it have been better drinking blonde bean coffee and jacked on caffeine at levels most cut crank can't match. Or should I have been drinking water throwing short charges.... OOO I bet your worried about the nuke loaded G20 on my hip. Damn drunk with a gun. :tongueout:

I won't lecture a grown man, they should know better. If I feel I need to carry a gun, I never drink, not even light beer. Isn't going to end well in court if there is a shooting. Reloading & booze, equally foolish. I never met a drinker that believed they werent impaired, even after blowing a 1.0. Your life as you said. Good luck with it..:whistling:

unclebob
05-24-2014, 20:02
I have room inside the house where I set up my reloading bench but I clean my guns in the garage because my wife doesn’t like the smell of powder solvent or gun oil. And I usually have one garage door open for ventilation, which leaves me in full view of anyone walking or driving past my house as I field strip, clean and reassemble my several Glocks. Many of my neighbors are gun owners who do not consider my actions unusual.

Try M-Pro7 as a cleaner. works great with no smell. I have not used oil on a gun in a long time. Oil runs, there are a lot of better products out there for lubing a firearm.

FLIPPER 348
05-24-2014, 21:37
Reloading & booze, equally foolish.

....for you perhaps

I've been known to have a cocktail on the bench when reloading.

jmorris
05-24-2014, 22:50
Guns and beer don't mix. Always make sure your cans don't hit them, and keep them off the binary explosives too.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/7409/HPIM0327.jpg

C6vetter
05-25-2014, 06:08
Bad idea.

1. Burglary target as mentioned.
2. Labeled resident 'nutjob' by libtards
3. Humidity
4. When Obama comes to take stuff, you will be first on his list
5. Did i mention, burglary target?

fredj338
05-25-2014, 11:07
....for you perhaps

I've been known to have a cocktail on the bench when reloading.

For anyone with a quarter brain. As always do as you like, some people drink & drive too. It's all good until the accident.:dunno:

jmorris
05-26-2014, 21:09
For anyone with a quarter brain. As always do as you like, some people drink & drive too. It's all good until the accident.:dunno:

Used to be a sport, not a good idea these days.

I was squadded with Jerry Miculek at nationals a few years ago and he talked about "The old days, shooting "wet"." some would shoot their groups and take a drink before the next round....

Angry Fist
05-27-2014, 12:11
If guns make you nervous, pound a half-pint of whiskey before hitting the range. :whistling:

fredj338
05-27-2014, 13:12
Used to be a sport, not a good idea these days.

I was squadded with Jerry Miculek at nationals a few years ago and he talked about "The old days, shooting "wet"." some would shoot their groups and take a drink before the next round....

To each his own, I don't want to be around anyone drinking & shooting, not even Jerry M. Booze never made anyone better.:dunno:

FLIPPER 348
05-28-2014, 23:35

I will have a drink or two and drive, no worries as I am an adult. I will not have more than two thou.

vikingsoftpaw
05-29-2014, 00:06
Up to you, but I don't want unknown people knowing my business & what I own & do. It's an invite for trouble, but your decision. I reload in my garage too. I just never have the door up more than 1/3 when doing it. Keep in mind all manner of people drive by your open garage too.

This ^. There are less the a dozen people that I trust with the full knowledge of my firearms involvement.

vtducrider
05-29-2014, 17:55
Update:

I reloaded twice with the garage door half open. First night, it was in the low 70's, and it was quite comfortable. Last night, it was still in the 80's at dusk.. sure worked up a sweat in less than an hour. Had some more tubes full of primers, but decided to call it quits.

This summer is going to suck for reloading, as I will also be getting acclimated to Texas. My garage doesn't have any windows. I think I will have to pay someone to do some duct work to install an AC. Not sure if that will be worth it. Getting up early is cheaper :)

jmorris
05-30-2014, 06:26
Welcome to TX. Its been cool this year and yes your going to get hot loading in a garage during the summer, door open or closed.

BobbyS
05-30-2014, 18:05
Getting ready to install my mini split ac in my garage.

PCJim
06-02-2014, 15:12
Buy a cheap window shaker a/c unit, 110v and set it on the floor under your garage door. Use leftover plywood, plastic, quilt, tarp or similar to block off the rest of the opening. it should provide enough cooling to make summer reloading bearable.

It gets hot and muggy loading in the garage in S FL. I have an expensive upright floor fan mounted on a 3' pole that I use to circulate air when reloading. Just having the air movement really helps with making it comfortable. You just can't have the air moving when using a scale. It WILL cause any decent reloading scale to drift.