Stick powder in a Lee Pro 1000? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stick powder in a Lee Pro 1000?

glockandgroovin'
05-18-2014, 09:50
Was watching a Youtube video on setup of a Lee pro 1000(which is the press I will be using) and noticed that the guy said stick powder does not work real well on this press and that ball or flake powder work much better. Anyone have experience with this? Also,is ball powder harder to find than stick?

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 10:04
Ball and flake powder will pretty much always meter better, in any measure, than stick powder. But, you have to determine if this actually matters. First of all, what caliber will you be reloading? Typical Pro1000 calibers don't use much stick powder anyway.

Second, any small metering differences don't generally matter anyway. People get worried over stick powder being cut by the measure and it just doesn't matter in terms of ammo performance.

I have only loaded a small batch of 357Mag in my Pro1000 using stick powder and i never noticed a problem.

glockandgroovin'
05-18-2014, 10:16
Thanks for the reply,I will be loading 9mm and .45ACP.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 10:27
Thanks for the reply,I will be loading 9mm and .45ACP.

I don't think there is a single stick powder that is suitable for 9mm and 45ACP.

I have a Pro1000. It's a great press that does a lot for the money. BUT, it can be cantankerous and frustrating. I suggest you do two things. First, get a reloading manual. It seems to me that since you aren't aware of the various powders and their uses, you probably don't have a manual yet. A manual is the first thing that all reloaders need to get.

Second, after you have read through the manual several times, consider the Lee turret press instead of the Pro1000. It is almost as fast, a little lower in price, and ten times easier to use and change calibers on.

WeeWilly
05-18-2014, 11:13
I don't think there is a single stick powder that is suitable for 9mm and 45ACP.

I have a Pro1000. It's a great press that does a lot for the money. BUT, it can be cantankerous and frustrating. I suggest you do two things. First, get a reloading manual. It seems to me that since you aren't aware of the various powders and their uses, you probably don't have a manual yet. A manual is the first thing that all reloaders need to get.

Second, after you have read through the manual several times, consider the Lee turret press instead of the Pro1000. It is almost as fast, a little lower in price, and ten times easier to use and change calibers on.

The VV powders are stick and they work pretty well (N320-3N37), but in general, I agree, most others are flake and ball.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 11:15
The VV powders are stick and they work pretty well (N320-3N37), but in general, I agree, most others are flake and ball.

I guess I need a newer manual:embarassed:

WeeWilly
05-18-2014, 11:26
I guess I need a newer manual:embarassed:

Well, and they are pretty small sticks, so they meter more like ball than say something like 4064... :)

tom mac
05-18-2014, 11:36
Not to mention, reguardless of the type of powder, the Auto dispenser for powder usu runs +/- .2 grs on good powder. So stay off the high end of loads unlees you measure each.

glockandgroovin'
05-18-2014, 12:34

I have recently obtained a Lyman manual. I have only thumbed through it quickly at this point. I intend on reading through it shortly.I will take your advice and check into the Lee turret.I really like the idea of switching between 9mm and .45 on the same press. Thanks again for your advice,I appreciate it greatly.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 12:44
I have recently obtained a Lyman manual. I have only thumbed through it quickly at this point. I intend on reading through it shortly.I will take your advice and check into the Lee turret.I really like the idea of switching between 9mm and .45 on the same press. Thanks again for your advice,I appreciate it greatly.

The Lyman is an excellent manual. They are all good really. You can switch calibers on either press. It takes about 10 minutes, maybe less, on the 1000 and it takes about 1 minute on the turret. You can make about 300 rounds per hour on the 1000, about 200 on the turret. The speed difference is the difference of 40 minutes on the 1000 vs one hour on the turret.

If you shoot 200 rounds a week, it's an hour of reloading with the turret. That is more than fast enough for 99% of the shooters out there and the press is so stupid simple and cheap it's hard to argue against it.

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2014, 13:44
Ball and flake powder will pretty much always meter better, in any measure, than stick powder. But, you have to determine if this actually matters. First of all, what caliber will you be reloading? Typical Pro1000 calibers don't use much stick powder anyway.

Second, any small metering differences don't generally matter anyway. People get worried over stick powder being cut by the measure and it just doesn't matter in terms of ammo performance.

I have only loaded a small batch of 357Mag in my Pro1000 using stick powder and i never noticed a problem.

Pretty much totally agree.

The only caveat I'd add, is make sure you get the Lee CLASSIC Turret. It's a way better press than the standard Lee Turret.

Angry Fist
05-18-2014, 13:51

The only caveat I'd add, is make sure you get the Lee CLASSIC Turret. It's a way better press than the standard Lee Turret.
I wish I had. Still no problem, because I won't be loading rifle and will be using it as a SS. SDtill need to try out this Autodisk Pro and Safety Prime. No, I'm not going to practice with sugar! :rofl:

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 16:33

No doubt the classic is stronger and worth the extra $, but, my buddy got the standard turret and I gotta say it is plenty strong enough. I haven't used or seen a classic, but if money were real tight, or I had a good opportunity on a standard, I would be happy with it.

blastfact
05-18-2014, 17:28
No measure deals with true stick power very well. Some make claims, but fall short IMHO. Stick powder is a waste in pistol ammo.

As for your press. Don't get a Pro1000. Lee makes three very good press's at a wonderful price point. The Challenger single stage, The Classic Cast single stage and the Classic Turret. Any of those three will load match grade ammo if the user does there job right.

Colorado4Wheel
05-18-2014, 17:42
Classic is much nicer. Same goes for the Pro version of the powder measure. The regular of both work just fine for their intended purposes.

WiskyT
05-18-2014, 17:47
Classic is much nicer. Same goes for the Pro version of the powder measure. The regular of both work just fine for their intended purposes.

The pro powder measure is worth every nickle of the increased price, especially if you change loads often. As to changing loads, you would be surprised at how many loads will work well in many cartridges. I can load 9, 40, and 45 with the 5.2 Unique or 4.0 Bullseye.