230g XTP & Power Pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 230g XTP & Power Pistol

Kentguy
05-19-2014, 11:08
Greetings,
Just came back from the range, playing around with some 230g Hornady XTP bullets over Power Pistol. Today is a sunny and 65 degrees with almost no wind.

Just for comparison – some factory ammo;

Hornady .45 AUTO “Custom” Factory Ammunition
230g XTP HP +P
Velocity –Box Listed @ 950 fps/my 6 shot average = 887.6 fps
Standard Deviation = 6.58027
OAL – 1.230”

Primer - Federal Large Pistol Primer #150
Bullet - 230g XTP (Hornady)
Bullet length/DIA - .637”-.638”/.451”
Powder – Alliant Power Pistol
Powder range – 5.5g up to 7.1g (Hornady Reloading Manual 9th edition)
Powder burn rate - #33 (Hodgdon)
Test charges - 6.9g – 7.1g – 7.3g
Bullet seating OAL - 1.230"(Hornady factory ammo length)
Test gun - .45 ACP Glock G21 w/4.60” barrel

Velocity numbers; (6 shot average)
6.9g = 844.83 fps
Standard Deviation = 10.57967
7.1g = 870.3 fps
Standard Deviation = 9.93311
7.3g = 897.83 fps
Standard Deviation = 6.04704

Accuracy tested at both 7 & 15 yards from both a seated/gun rest & standing free hand position.
All rounds fired without any problems, the velocity numbers tell the story about the feel of each round. The accuracy of all three was very good especially the 7.3g test charge (at 7 yards) but this was a round that I would not want to shoot very many of at the practice range… very firm kick!
Taking all things into consideration I have to give the nod to the 6.9g test charge as the best all around load. This was a close call in many respects but in feel with respect to feel, reacquisition of target and accuracy, the test charge of 6.9g was the best.
Power Pistol sure lived up to its name during this test. A very strong performing powder in these tests (but not over-powering), it burned very clean in all test charges with very little sigh of over/under burn in and outside of the spent brass casing.

Just wanted to post my results from a day at the range.

Be safe out there

WiskyT
05-19-2014, 19:53
Cool. You could get that 844 with Bullseye and might have less muzzle blast. That is, if you can find Bullseye. I don't have my data right in front of me but I got right around 850 or so with a max (book) load of BE and 230 XTP's.

I always thought Hornady's listed velocity for their 230 XTP load was a bit optimistic but I never got my hands on any to try out. I don't think they would run any faster out of a full size 1911 either. FWIW, I think the XTP would do it's job at the 844 you got.

Kentguy
05-20-2014, 06:01
Thanks WiskyT,

I went back over my note book and the only work I have done with .45 & Bullseye is with a FMJ bullet and not the XTP. I ran a test using both small pistol primer vs large pistol primer loads using bullseye just to see if there was any "real" difference.

I like Power Pistol in other calibers, always gives me an clean burning, accurate load. Just when you start pushing the top end the "bump" you get starts to get your attention... :supergrin:

I'll tell you another bullet I really like is the Rainier 230g PHP;
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050158548/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-230-grain-plated-hollow-point?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I have run these over HS6 (8.0g)
Velocity - 839.3 fps/my 6 shot avg
Standard Deviation – 10.5767

Another nice clean burning powder that delivers an accurate round.

Have fun and be safe out there

SDGlock23
05-20-2014, 06:32
Nice results, I like Power Pistol too. I tried the book (Alliant) load of 8.1gr and got an average of just under 1,000 fps with a 230gr FMJ loaded to 1.240". At first I thought your data looked a little low, but maybe Alliants is a bit high.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 11:01
I like PP, does well in all the service rounds, but the blast is just ridiculous compared to other powders delivering sim vel. If I want +P vel levels, it's a good choice in 9mm & 45acp, also for top end, safe 40 loads. For target stuff, I prefer something that is more economical & has less blast. Thx for the report.

vtducrider
05-20-2014, 12:58
Nice work! I have only used PP for 9mm.. Your data will come in handy for me when I run my next batch of 45ACP, if I can find PP... down to a little over 1/2 pound.

Kentguy
05-22-2014, 10:17
Thanks folks,

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/power_pistol.aspx

I have tested Power Pistol in 380, 9mm, 38 special & 45 acp with very good success. Some rounds got your attention more than others but you can tone them down a bit for more enjoyable round, however I do agree with fred's point "...but the blast is just ridiculous compared to other powders delivering sim vel."

With Power pistol I have tested FMJ, XTP HP, and LSWC bullets and found that it does burn clean and delivers plenty of punch without being "too" stout for most loads.

Burn rate puts it right in the ball park with Unique & Universal two powders I have done quite a bit of testing with;
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I'd better end this post... I'm beginning to sound like a commercial for these folks. :supergrin:

Good powder - give it a try... if you can find it. :whistling: