Reloading room [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading room

RustyL
05-19-2014, 14:15
vtducrider's thread got me to thinking.

Our house is going up for sale soon. I was thinking that I did not want people looking in this room; so I came up with the idea of dismantling my press and such as to not give the impression that this room is full of guns and reloading equipment. Then I figure hell I can't hide it, an agent will be showing people every closet in the house.

What would yall do with your reloading materials and guns?

Three-Five-Seven
05-19-2014, 14:32
I'd either lock the room or move everything to a storage facility for the duration.

Probably, the later.

Get a few months ahead on your loading and clean the place up, and out.

CarryTexas
05-19-2014, 14:34
I would box it and store it. Hide everything that screams "Gun" that have. Whether it's to prevent future theft or just to keep the buyers fears at bay...

You don't want anything that might spook a buyer if you can help it.

I think to the average person, someone that reloads is a certified gun nut who hoards hundreds maybe <shutter> THOUSANDS of rounds ready to overthrow the government.

You want to see your house not make a political statement.

Colorado4Wheel
05-19-2014, 14:38
Move it off site.

Kentguy
05-19-2014, 14:52
RustyL,

If you can't just lock the room and call it off limits (make up an excuse), than I agree with C4W - box it all up and move it off site for this time being. :dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
05-19-2014, 14:57
If you lock the room the prospective buyer will imagine a much worse reason why you made that room off limits. That will kill more prospective deals and you will never know it and always wonder. That is why I said just move it off site. Even just boxing it up will work fine. I doubt people will pay much attention to the boxes. You should be boxing stuff up anyway as your gonna be moving. They say ever box you pack adds a lot of value to the price of the home. So start packing.

BTW, I sold my home with my full reloading room out. I said screw it.

SJ 40
05-19-2014, 15:10
If you lock the room the prospective buyer will imagine a much worse reason why you made that room off limits. That will kill more prospective deals and you will never know it and always wonder. That is why I said just move it off site. Even just boxing it up will work fine. I doubt people will pay much attention to the boxes. You should be boxing stuff up anyway as your gonna be moving. They say ever box you pack adds a lot of value to the price of the home. So start packing.

BTW, I sold my home with my full reloading room out. I said screw it.Agreed, I'd box it or move it. SJ 40

Angry Fist
05-19-2014, 15:25
I don't have a room, so I already have to break everything down. Press is mounted to a short 2x6, and I clamp it to the table out back. Everything fits in a large plastic foot locker, and the tumbler/seperator and media all go in 5 and 2 gallon buckets. Claussen square pickle jars hold all the componets, and store neatly.

judgecrater
05-19-2014, 15:58
I just put sheets over my loaders. They see the room, windows, floor. That's all they care about. They don't care about the rest.

norton
05-19-2014, 17:18
I just put sheets over my loaders. They see the room, windows, floor. That's all they care about. They don't care about the rest.

Probably few people who are not re loaders would know what the stuff under the sheets is used for. Sounds like good advice to me. I would not lock the room, prospective buyers will think you are trying to hide a leaky roof, mold or Lord knows what else.

Jack Ryan
05-19-2014, 17:45

Our house is going up for sale soon. I was thinking that I did not want people looking in this room; so I came up with the idea of dismantling my press and such as to not give the impression that this room is full of guns and reloading equipment. Then I figure hell I can't hide it, an agent will be showing people every closet in the house.

Put them all in unmarked boxes in storage along with a lot of other stuff that has nothing to do with making people want to buy the house.

fredj338
05-19-2014, 18:12
I've thought about this for the day I do sell & leave Kommifornia. I have to remove my game mounts form the walls, so removing my reloading stuff, no problem. I'll stow it at one of the kids house, at least presses & such. The rest can be moved later. You can also sell w/o doing an open house, by app only. At least you weed out the potential thieves just stopping by to see what they can steal.

mj9mm
05-19-2014, 18:25
I've thought about this for the day I do sell & leave Kommifornia. I have to remove my game mounts form the walls, so removing my reloading stuff, no problem. I'll stow it at one of the kids house, at least presses & such. The rest can be moved later. You can also sell w/o doing an open house, by app only. At least you weed out the potential thieves just stopping by to see what they can steal.

this:agree:or, rent a POD if you have no one close by

Photoman642
05-19-2014, 18:54

Off site storage or boxed and out of sight until you move gets my vote.

Taterhead
05-19-2014, 19:33
Good advice. Move the gun stuff. People get weird about gun stuff, but that is no reason to not take their money. Don't give them a reason to get turned off.

As a general rule, move all of the "personal" stuff too. Photos, personal memorabilia, trophies, certificates, personal interests, all that crap on the fridge, etc. As much as possible, remove the things that give those the feeling that they are moving into someone else's home. Think staged and generic. Leave only bare essentials. That makes your place look more spacious and uncluttered. You're going to be moving anyway, so might as well get a head start on the packing.

When my in-laws recently moved to the area, they brought some 30 something firearms and reloading gear for me to store. He kept what he needed for home defense purposes and the rest went on hold. His reloading man-cave was re-staged to look like an office. Good call on his part.

WiskyT
05-19-2014, 20:50
Realtors tell you to even remove your family pictures from the house because people want to see the house as "theirs", not yours. Reloading equipment would definitely be a deal breaker even if they don't know what it is.

Staging as they call it makes a big difference in how fast a house moves. It seems stupid and superficial, but it's just the way it is.

RustyL
05-20-2014, 03:14
Thanks fellows. Yeah I have a place to move my stuff too, good advice. The good thing about my reloading bench is it's all screwed together and to the wall. That will be easy to break down. My main concern is that I really didn't want anyone seeing my stuff, not even a real estate agent. You just don't know how people will react.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

norton
05-20-2014, 14:59
Realtors tell you to even remove your family pictures from the house because people want to see the house as "theirs", not yours. Reloading equipment would definitely be a deal breaker even if they don't know what it is.

Staging as they call it makes a big difference in how fast a house moves. It seems stupid and superficial, but it's just the way it is.

Ever watch those hidden camera shows where people walk through a house and comment on what they like, don't like? More then once I have heard a moron say - I don't like that light fixture, or the carpet. Really dumba##? You can't figure out how to change the fixture or the carpet if you buy the place?

WiskyT
05-20-2014, 15:10
Ever watch those hidden camera shows where people walk through a house and comment on what they like, don't like? More then once I have heard a moron say - I don't like that light fixture, or the carpet. Really dumba##? You can't figure out how to change the fixture or the carpet if you buy the place?

Yeah. Two things about that. People really are that shallow, and, even if those particular people on the show weren't that shallow, I'm sure they've been instructed to BE that shallow or their episode won't air and they won' get asked back. Such is the "reality" in reality shows.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 17:54
HA! My wife works re estate out here. I could not do her job, people are that stupid. They can not look beyond paint or carpet. So if you have fugly carpet or wall colors, change them to neutral. The idea is to appeal to the broadest market. Why game heads & a garage full of reloading stuff isn't likely to sell your house sooner.:rofl:

Gpruitt54
05-21-2014, 11:10
I would be concerned about future theft as well as having people in your reloading room and around your guns and ammo when you are not there.

I am having work done in my basement. This is where my reloading gear is. I took everything down and boxed it up. I do not want anyone thinking (humm... Reloading gear, therefore guns in this house).

Do whatever it takes to make your house as appealing as possible for sale. Now is not the time for political statements. This is business. Don't make your house the Gun house when buyers recall your property after a day of house hunting.

But, that's just me!

RustyL
05-21-2014, 19:49
Well it is to the point that I have to have advice. I had an agent over to look at the house and advise me on what needs to be done. I know the agent only by me going to school with his kids. He's 82.

Anyway, I felt comfortable with him being inside my home. I showed him my room. He says box it up and get it out of the house. He was pleasantly surprised by my organization and was not shocked. This is not the same world I grew up in.

Anyway, I'm packing up within the week and moving it. I more shocked that him.