Lead free reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead free reloading

finfoo
05-20-2014, 15:35
I would like to reload lead free with new brass. 9mm, .38 and .45. Someone said I needed special brass with small primers? Very new at this so not sure what to do. :shocked:

Kentguy
05-20-2014, 17:37
finfoo,

One tip is to watch closely the velocity you are trying to achieve. basic rule of thumb is the higher the velocity the more heat you generate and the more lead collects inside your barrel.

Experimentation and close observation is key with respect to this.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Angry Fist
05-20-2014, 17:39
Do you mean solid copper bullets? And watch out for .45 brass that takes small primers. They're out there, but the vast majority use large primers.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 17:46
If you mean totally lead free, aint gonna happen unless you buy lead free, "green" primers. If you are just talking bullets, then you'll need solid copper or lead free frangibles.
https://www.sinterfire.com/Default.aspx
FWIW, vel & leading have little to do with anything. Little if any of the bullet "melts" as it travels down the bbl. If it does, it's microscopic because you can't see it in recovered bullets.

finfoo
05-20-2014, 19:07
I am new to this, but wanted to make my own bullets similar to Remington's leadless bullets.

WeeWilly
05-20-2014, 19:12
I am still a little confused, are you talking solid copper (i.e. no lead inside the jacket)?

If you are talking totally lead free rounds, including lead free primers, I don't think the so-called green primers are available to reloaders.

For reloading lead free bullets (like Barnes, Nosler, etc.) that are all copper, there is a fair amount of load data available for the Barnes bullets. There is no special requirement for those primer wise.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 20:41
I am new to this, but wanted to make my own bullets similar to Remington's leadless bullets.

Rem, fed, etc lead free are also loaded with green, non lead primers. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but you have been given enough info to start.

finfoo
05-20-2014, 22:23
Thanks all - didn't know the difference between bullets and primers - will figure it out.

Photoman642
05-21-2014, 07:19
Yep. I think most of the lead exposure from shooting is from the primers and lead free primers are not available to the public (as far as I know).

fredj338
05-21-2014, 12:43
Yep. I think most of the lead exposure from shooting is from the primers and lead free primers are not available to the public (as far as I know).

PMC used to make some, but I haven't seen them for years.

Colorado4Wheel
05-21-2014, 13:14
Maybe explain WHY? and we can help you understand what to do. Are you just worried about Lead Exposer? Are you shooting at a place you have to use Lead Free? Whats the deal?

fredj338
05-21-2014, 18:06
No I love guessing. Like charades; 3 words, first word sounds like.........:whistling:

pmcjury
05-21-2014, 23:11
Rem, fed, etc lead free are also loaded with green, non lead primers. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but you have been given enough info to start.

Most of those still use a standard fmj projectile, just lead free primers. At least the green and yellow box of Remington does.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

finfoo
07-04-2014, 20:58
I was interested because I had my blood checked for lead about 6 months ago and it was 3x too high. Since then I use delead before I leave the range and am more careful and it has come down.

njl
07-04-2014, 21:14
Do you primarily shoot indoors or outside? Do you wear gloves (nitrile seem to work best) when cleaning your guns? How are you cleaning your brass? Do you eat/drink at the range? I suspect high lead levels are more about some habit that can be changed rather than shooting primers that have some lead and exposed lead base bullets. Otherwise, we'd all have high lead levels.

happie2shoot
07-04-2014, 21:15
Today I loaded and shot some wolf/pmc sp n/t lead free primers,
got them for 16.00 pr. 1000 5 years ago.

If I learn how to take a picture of them I put it on here I will,
they shoot super with the right load.

WeeWilly
07-04-2014, 21:19
I was interested because I had my blood checked for lead about 6 months ago and it was 3x too high. Since then I use delead before I leave the range and am more careful and it has come down.

As Photoman642 pointed out, most of the lead from shooting comes from the primers.

Are you shooting indoors?

dkf
07-04-2014, 21:26

What was the actual number of your test? Some of these doctors go by what an infant or childs lead level should be and apply it to adults. That just don't work.

Anyway using small pistol primers (get small primer .45acp) and a total metal jacket bullet or frangible "green" bullet should help your numbers. Of course if you shooting at an indoor range shooting outside is better. My parents taught me that outside is where you shoot.

Today I loaded and shot some wolf/pmc sp n/t lead free primers,
got them for 16.00 pr. 1000 5 years ago.

If I learn how to take a picture of them I put it on here I will,
they shoot super with the right load.

If you send me the picture I can post it for you if you can't get it figured out.

finfoo
07-04-2014, 21:34
Yeah I changed my habits - washing up right after, use delead cleaner in my car, have range shoes, etc. I also go to a newer place now with better ventilation. I don't have a lot of outdoor ranges in this area and I like the indoor leagues and bowling pin shoots. My number was 30 but now 18 so changing habits helps. Yes I use nitrile gloves when I clean my guns.

WeeWilly
07-04-2014, 21:48
If you shoot indoor you are going to get exposure from lead styphnate (from the primers), it gets everywhere, you also breathe it. So called "green" ammo will help, but unless the range has everyone shoot it, you are still getting it from the guy next to you.

Sounds like you have a handle on the inputs. Awareness is half the battle. Good advice from dkf on a few other strategies. Finding a place outdoors will help the most.

finfoo
07-04-2014, 21:52
Thanks I will look, will have to join a club and not many around here. I used to go to an old range almost everyday, now maybe every two weeks if that.

njl
07-04-2014, 22:22
Yeah...when I was shooting indoor matches, I had dedicated range/yard-work shoes and would generally put my clothes (at least shirt) directly into the laundry when I got home.

I hardly ever shoot indoors now though.

WeeWilly
07-04-2014, 22:38
Thanks I will look, will have to join a club and not many around here. I used to go to an old range almost everyday, now maybe every two weeks if that.

That will make a big difference. Not to be Debbie Downer, but lead is only one of the really bad things that come out of a barrel when you pull the trigger. Primers are full of all sorts of nasty things, some of which are Group 1 carcinogens. Lead is usually just the most obvious and easiest to test.

happie2shoot
07-05-2014, 20:36
What was the actual number of your test? Some of these doctors go by what an infant or childs lead level should be and apply it to adults. That just don't work.

Anyway using small pistol primers (get small primer .45acp) and a total metal jacket bullet or frangible "green" bullet should help your numbers. Of course if you shooting at an indoor range shooting outside is better. My parents taught me that outside is where you shoot.

If you send me the picture I can post it for you if you can't get it figured out.

I am at the ranch now but when I get back to Boise I will
try to get some pictures, thanks.:wavey:

We have internet but phones don't work up here, good place
to shoot, can shoot a 1000yds if I want to.