Brass not chambering [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass not chambering

attrapereves
05-20-2014, 18:03
A friend gave me some Remington brass that was fired in his Garand. I'm reloading it to use in my Marlin XL7. The brass will not allow the bolt to close.

I tumbled, full length sized/deprimed, trimmed, chamfered, and deburred all brass. About 80% of it will not chamber in my rifle. All brass is trimmed and is below max length. No primers were inserted.

It looks as if the brass is rubbing on the breech face as there are rub marks at the end of the brass.

Any causes for this? I'm considering this brass toast as sizing won't even get it to function in my rifle.

Here's a pic of one of the culprits (the red markings are my dud indicators):

http://i.imgur.com/4unYlCs.jpg?1

F106 Fan
05-20-2014, 18:12
I don't know anything specific about the Garand but the 30-06 is a bottle-neck cartridge and it headspaces on the shoulder.

So, if the shoulder is in the right place, the distance between the shoulder and base should fit in the chamber and probably not hit the breech.

If you have a headspace gauge, it is simple to check the results of resizing. If you don't have a headspace gauge, you should have. The shoulder needs to be in the right place + or - very few thousandths. It is a precision location.

My guess is that you haven't sized the brass to bump the shoulder down enough. That would imply that the die isn't really hitting the shell holder. I usually set my dies so that the press actually cams over. In other words, the die is a bit too deep and all of the slack is taken out of the press.

Richard

attrapereves
05-20-2014, 18:30
That seemed to do the trick. The sizing die was touching the shell holder, but I guess it wasn't enough to push the shoulder back. Thanks!

Three-Five-Seven
05-20-2014, 19:32
It has been a regular event in my reloading history that I've had to take material off the bottom of a sizing die in order to move the shoulder of a bottle-necked cartridge back far enough to permit chambering. This has, particularly, been a problem with RCBS dies in my experience.

Get out the grinding wheel and have at it.

fredj338
05-20-2014, 20:38
Loading for my ar, I have to get a light cam over with the sizing die firmly pushing on my 550 shell plate. Only way to get mixed brass to chamber fully in most rifles.