Lee Deluxe [Pistol calibers] Die Care [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Deluxe [Pistol calibers] Die Care

C6vetter
05-26-2014, 17:11
do these need periodic cleaning/lubricating (Qtip with very light coating of oil on all dies except powder drop?

dkf
05-26-2014, 17:23
I clean all my dies periodically. Steel dies that need case lube more often than carbide dies I don't use case lube with. I never oil them (unless storing long term) I usually use Hoppes #9 to clean them and then wipe off the excess.

Colorado4Wheel
05-26-2014, 17:37
I never do anything special. Especially to the outside. But this is Colorado and things don't rust here very easily.

SJ 40
05-26-2014, 21:48
If it's rust you are worried about lightly oil the exterior. SJ 40

mboylan
05-27-2014, 08:13

Kentguy
05-27-2014, 10:36
C6vetter,

With Carbide die sets, just swab em out with a dry Q-Tip, remove any loose powder, brass that just might be in there. You won't find much but not a bad practice to keep up on.

As far as lube... :dunno: As a general rule of thumb, keeping any threaded surface clean from dirt or grim is always a good thing. Just wipe down the threads with a clean rag.

That's about it.

PCJim
05-27-2014, 20:29
I've noticed in the past a very light sheen of rust developing on my Lee dies. I took to giving them a quick infrequent shot of Rem Oil. Seems to keep the rust at bay. I've never done anything to the insides unless it was to remove lube build up in the seating die.

WeeWilly
05-27-2014, 20:53
I agree with PCJim, where I live, my Lee dies will get surface rust if not kept oiled. I clean them before use with acetone and then oil them up before putting them away.

This process ensures they are otherwise clean when using. It is a pain, but when you can throw a rock and hit the Pacific Ocean, things get rusty right quick when left unattended.