Loading Cleaner Lower Velocity Ammunition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading Cleaner Lower Velocity Ammunition

ShaneS
05-27-2014, 21:29
Theoretically, if you have been loading ammo at near maximum velocities but want to load lower velocity ammo, you should use a faster burning powder at higher pressure rather than lowering the charge of the slower burning powder, right? Lowering the charge of the slower powder will result in lower pressure and more soot and unburnt powder?

I'm working with 10mm Auto handloads. I've been loading heavy hunting loads. Now I want to load some lower velocity self-defense type loads to avoid over-penetration. So, I figure I should change to a faster burning powder that will burn cleaner at a lower velocity.

Am I on the right track?

Revvv
05-27-2014, 21:40
If it's for home defense I can clean the gun later.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

fredj338
05-27-2014, 22:00
Your thinking is correct. No reason to run your 10mm at max all the time, only beats the gun to crap. Any medium burner, from unique up thru power pistol, will give you softer 180gr loads in the 900-1000fps range.

Colorado4Wheel
05-27-2014, 22:09
Why would you want to load SD loads at reduced power. Your worrying about over-penetration is not warranted. Load SD loads using PP or AA7 or similar speed powder will run a 180 gr bullet at 1150fps. There is nothing wrong with that.

nitesite10mm
05-28-2014, 00:35
why would you want to load sd loads at reduced power. Your worrying about over-penetration is not warranted. Load sd loads using pp or aa7 or similar speed powder will run a 180 gr bullet at 1150fps. There is nothing wrong with that.

^ this

Colorado4Wheel
05-28-2014, 07:26
Never mind if you actually shoot someone you don't get to keep the gun. The police will take it. Plus a PP/AA7 run plenty clean at midrange loads in 10mm.

Colorado4Wheel
05-28-2014, 07:57
You can't tell but that is a KKM Stainless Steel Barrel (it looks black in pic). I was going to shoot the last match with this gun exactly like this. Been kinda busy. Just add a drop of oil on the slide and it's good to go. Powder will never come close to the amount of fouling a Lead Bullet will cause.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/20140528_0743041_zpsb0678f01.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/98sr20ve/media/20140528_0743041_zpsb0678f01.jpg.html)

WeeWilly
05-28-2014, 09:11
Theoretically, if you have been loading ammo at near maximum velocities but want to load lower velocity ammo, you should use a faster burning powder at higher pressure rather than lowering the charge of the slower burning powder, right? Lowering the charge of the slower powder will result in lower pressure and more soot and unburnt powder?

I'm working with 10mm Auto handloads. I've been loading heavy hunting loads. Now I want to load some lower velocity self-defense type loads to avoid over-penetration. So, I figure I should change to a faster burning powder that will burn cleaner at a lower velocity.

Am I on the right track?

Yes.

Like everything, there are exceptions (to a degree). I found the old formula of AA #9 downloaded pretty well for a magnum powder. #9 had the added benefit of a very low flash signature. The bad news is Accurate changed suppliers for #9, so I don't know if it performs as well in this respect. One of these days some will pop up and I will get to re-run my #9 tests.

As others have indicated, #7 can be a good choice (although I don't think it downloads as well as #9 did), it too has a low flash. Power Pistol is good except the flash.

If you want to go way down in velocity, there are any number of great choices, all the usual gamer powders.

Colorado4Wheel
05-28-2014, 09:21
Accurate #7 and #9 are a good comparison. There is about a 50fps swing in the data from top and bottom loads between those two. Hardly a big deal. If you using Longshot or #9 or something that slow I would step it down one notch to #7 or WSF/Unique. But nothing slower. #7 is probably the best choice I know for that speed powder. I would not use PP. Not for something I was going to carry. Once you get past 1150fps in a STOCK G20 the gun is operating outside of it's comfort zone. It opens to fast, the ES goes way up. It's a waste of energy on a stock gun. Hence my love for #7 speed powders in 10mm for a stock gun. And a SD gun should be basically stock.