PDA

View Full Version : New SNS 9mm 147gr in the works

J Lee
05-31-2014, 11:07
I'm pretty excited. No grooves.

http://www.snscasting.com/bullet-pictures/

Boxerglocker
05-31-2014, 14:03
I really don’t understand the appeal of powder coated LRN bullets. When you factor in shipping, especially with bulk buys. Plated bullets like Xtreme still appear to be the better value these days

J Lee
05-31-2014, 14:26
I guess we just like what we like.

I like the profile/design as much as anything.

SJ 40
05-31-2014, 14:31
I'm one of those old clingers and besides the Bible and my guns I'll also stick to my traditionally lubed lead bullets. SJ 40

jmccauley
05-31-2014, 19:53
I'm one of those old clingers and besides the Bible and my guns I'll also stick to my traditionally lubed lead bullets. SJ 40

I used to feel the same way until I tried Bayou bullets 200 gr SWC, Just as accurate as lead but little to no smoke no blue lube stock in my seating and crimp dies and no leading to deal with after shooting.

njl
05-31-2014, 20:43
I really don’t understand the appeal of powder coated LRN bullets. When you factor in shipping, especially with bulk buys. Plated bullets like Xtreme still appear to be the better value these days

My range doesn't allow jacketed bullets to be shot at steel. :(

Boxerglocker
06-01-2014, 07:35
My range doesn't allow jacketed bullets to be shot at steel. :(

Really? We have a 7 yard minimum distance rule for handguns. All our club steel is AR500. I have my personal 1/3 scale USPSA target in AR500 that I use for handgun training and hanging out up to 200 for rifle work.

njl
06-01-2014, 08:48
Really? We have a 7 yard minimum distance rule for handguns. All our club steel is AR500. I have my personal 1/3 scale USPSA target in AR500 that I use for handgun training and hanging out up to 200 for rifle work.

My club doesn't supply steel (except for the SASS subclub, and I suspect what they shoot, they provided). I have my own steel that I have to transport back and forth when I want to shoot it.

I guess they're trying to be as safe as they reasonably can. Member-supplied steel could be any grade. My current hanging plate rack is AR500 (at least the plates), but I'm sure some people bring out targets made from whatever scrap steel they got their hands on.

IMO, my rack is as safe with jacketed bullets as any steel target. The plates are 3/8" AR500, hung with chain now from about half an inch behind, so they angle downward.

I'll post a pic next time I have it setup with good lighting.

So, to keep from getting in trouble with my club, I have to shoot non-jacketed when I shoot the steel...and I'm pretty sure they consider plated to be jacketed.

J Lee
06-01-2014, 08:59
Amen brother.

I'm so knew at this, maybe I still haven't decided which bullet I prefer over the other. Definitely will try them and if they work well, probably stick with them.

rv4driver
06-01-2014, 18:31
If they consider plated to be jacketed, there may be no hope for them.

unclebob
06-02-2014, 12:19

X-Treme 147GR RN are 39.77 for 500. or 238.62 for 3000. Plus shipping.
Bayou Bullets 147gr. FP 3000 for 241.00 includes shipping.

Boxerglocker
06-02-2014, 13:08
X-Treme 147GR RN are 39.77 for 500. or 238.62 for 3000. Plus shipping.
Bayou Bullets 147gr. FP 3000 for 241.00 includes shipping.

My statement wasn’t based on price alone. I’ve successfully used both. However in my experience, Xtremes are much more consistent in shape and coating. Being plated they are a lot more versatile regarding the types of powders you can use, especially if you want a hot fast powder load for minimizing PF.

We have a Xtreme distributer here locally where I get my Xtreme 147s for $76 a thousand local pick-up. Though primarily I use 124 RNs which I get for $72

njl
06-02-2014, 18:55
My statement wasn’t based on price alone. I’ve successfully used both. However in my experience, Xtremes are much more consistent in shape and coating. Being plated they are a lot more versatile regarding the types of powders you can use, especially if you want a hot fast powder load for minimizing PF.

Have you actually tried Hi-Tek coated bullets? AFAIK, they don't have the same issues lubed lead or even moly/poly coated lead has with smoking.

Boxerglocker
06-03-2014, 08:30
Have you actually tried Hi-Tek coated bullets? AFAIK, they don't have the same issues lubed lead or even moly/poly coated lead has with smoking.

Yes, I have several brands… get sample packs all the time at matches. I wouldn’t call powder coat as being “Hi-Tek” actually that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that.
In my experience they are no different regarding smoking, depends on the powder and just like LRN or Moly using fast powders they still smoke.

unclebob
06-03-2014, 10:40
Yes, I have several brands… get sample packs all the time at matches. I wouldn’t call powder coat as being “Hi-Tek” actually that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that.
In my experience they are no different regarding smoking, depends on the powder and just like LRN or Moly using fast powders they still smoke.

Powder coating is not the same. I don't care for the powder coated bullets. I do like the Bayou Bullets that are HI-TEK.
When i shot the powder coated bullets chunks of the powder coating would fly off after the bullet left the barrel.

Boxerglocker
06-03-2014, 10:52
Bob not wanting to get in a pissing match with you. In my opinion it’s all the same. Whether it be a moly or coated by P/L HI-TEK-LUBE it’s still coated. Plated is still the most superior in my opinion. I’ve run through a few thousand Bayou Bullets and Black and Bullets International as well, they all a sensitive to powder speed in regards to smoke.
Oh and by the way the process of application is still called "powder coating"

Jim Watson
06-03-2014, 11:09
Hi-Tek is the brand of coating, made in Australia and used by Bayou, SNS, and BBI. Probably some others since Bayou is selling the coating. Falcon says they make their own.

I am liking BBIs now that they have gone to Hi-Tek. (The old stuff is pretty sad, though.) It does not smoke over HP38, although my partner at the chronograph session said it smelled bad. I will be trying some with Bullseye shortly, being that I have a lot more Bullseye on hand than HP38.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a Ransom Rest available. It would be instructive to compare plated and coated for accuracy. If the price and availability are close, what else is there to judge by?

The one sure advantage of plated bullets from Xtreme and Berrys is their 147 grain roundnose. I do not know why the casters cling to the flatpoint. Some guns do not feed it well.