Questions about removing military crimp from brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about removing military crimp from brass

G23
06-01-2014, 15:32
A friend gave me some .223 military brass. The brass is mostly Lake City although I found a few pieces stamped PMC. I'm doubtful that PMC makes military brass, but if I'm wrong please let me know. It appears that most of the Lake City brass has had the military crimp removed, but I did find some that look to be crimped. They don't match any photos I've found on the web. The brass is stamped LC 12, and it has four straight lines stamped into the brass on the four side surrounding the primer and the primer pocket looks to be almost square now. Could anyone fill me in on the military crimp thing? I'm guessing that the four lines stamped around the primer is just an alternative way of crimping the primer. Any info will be appreciated. I have an RCBS decapping die and a small primer pocket reamer. Thanks!

dkf
06-01-2014, 16:00
LC 12 = Lake City made in 2012 and should be crimped from the factory. All the LC brass I have was crimped. The PMC 5.56 is crimped, at least all I have is. The .223 PMC brass I have is not crimped.

Taterhead
06-01-2014, 21:17
There are many swaging options out there. One thing to look for too is that FC 223 brass has a light crimp too. I did not know this, and attributed tight primer seating to it being a tight pocket. Then I found an instruction video from one of the ATK reps where they mentioned a lot of FC brass is lightly crimped.

I have this, and like it more than I expected to. It is a great value for the money. It fits certain single stage presses. I have done a few thousand with good results. When you get a feel for it, you can go quickly. I use it on a Rock Chucker.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

A step up from that would be the Dillon Super Swage. Many around here speak very highly of it.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600

Beyond that, you can get a Dillon Super 1050 with a primer pocket swaging station. Some day, some day...

The benefit of a swage type of tool is that it does not remove brass like a reaming device does.