New brass trimmer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New brass trimmer

Atomic Punk
06-03-2014, 14:00
got a new L.E. Wilson brass trimmer in the mail the other day, finally got a chance to play with it a bit. easy and pretty quick to adjust, cut well, and i like the bushing setup.

just using it for .223 right now, went through a small pile of lake city and fiocchi brass. for some reason almost 1/4 of which were 1.763 - 1.769 long. have everything all trimmed and nice now, final trim length stayed within 0.0005 of my setting. according to my admittedly cheap franklin arsenal caliper anyway.
would be rather tedious doing a large pile of brass. at some point i may get one of the spendier motorized brass trimmers at some point, but i cant shoot enough to the time/money difference.

PCJim
06-03-2014, 21:02
I have a Wilson lathe type brass trimmer that I use for 243, 308 and '06 brass. In those rifles, I want consistency which the trimmer is definitely capable of. For feeding an AR with a voracious appetite, its just too slow and labor intensive. The Dillon electric is the most efficient for that task, and is just about as consistent.

Atomic Punk
06-04-2014, 11:33
Was thinking of a dillion ( AP, and trimmer ) when I have the funds and time to shoot more often. I plan on picking up a 30-06 or .308 before I get more reloading devices.

NavyVet1959
06-04-2014, 11:39
I bought one recently in anticipation of a future need to trim .308 damaged neck brass down for .45 SUPER +P / .460 Rowland cartridges. I tired it out the other day on an old pieces of .308 that I had picked up and it worked well enough even though the rough cut was done was a grinder.