Jackpot mining the berms today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot mining the berms today

norton
06-07-2014, 12:32
Early on this fine Saturday morning, I made my weekly visit to the outdoor club where I shoot. The local Sheriff's dept. had been using the pistol range last week.
I was surprised the bay I normally shoot had few bullets to be had.
Before leaving I noticed one of the bays that gets very little use had obviously been fired on.
Bullets everywhere. And nice big jacketed .45 acp bullets with lots of lead inside.
Hardly anyone at my club shoots jacketed bullets. Too cheap like me I guess. We are mostly lead and plated bullet shooters.
Not the local gendarme. They fire that expensive store bought stuff. :supergrin:

SJ 40
06-07-2014, 14:10
The only thing better than a big pile of scrap range lead is the big pile of shiny cast bullets it will provide you with. SJ 40

njl
06-07-2014, 15:06
But you missed out on their brass?

ranger1968
06-07-2014, 15:09
But you missed out on their brass?

That's what I was wondering....

That good, once fired Federal/ Speer /Winchester LE brass....

Colorado4Wheel
06-07-2014, 15:11
I would take lead over brass any day

ranger1968
06-07-2014, 15:14
I would take lead over brass any day

Yeah but on the LE qualification days you can usually score on both.

dkf
06-07-2014, 16:08
The only thing I really like about the .45acp is finding the big chunks of lead from them in the berm. Finding the cast boolets are my favorite but the plated are more than fine. Mixed in with a load of jacketed lead, the cast and plated make the lead hard enough to use as is.

norton
06-07-2014, 18:35
They either "policed" their brass, or somebody else got it. .45 acp brass is almost never left on the ground at my range.

Angry Fist
06-07-2014, 18:41
I need to get in on this action. My range is a 45 minute drive, though. Norton, are you still using that red mesh metal trash can thing to seperate the dirt?

fredj338
06-07-2014, 19:11
Good score. I mine the berm as often as I can, best after rainy days.

norton
06-07-2014, 21:20
I need to get in on this action. My range is a 45 minute drive, though. Norton, are you still using that red mesh metal trash can thing to seperate the dirt?

No, that was someone else. I use a three prong garden cultivator and drop them in a kitty litter jug. We are warned not to "dig" into the berms, so I just scrape dirt along the top.

marvin
06-07-2014, 21:51
Now I know why I'm not finding as much lead. Norton has it all.

free men own guns slaves dont

norton
06-08-2014, 06:23
Now I know why I'm not finding as much lead. Norton has it all.

free men own guns slaves dont

We must be the only two looking for lead in the berms. I never see anyone else doing it.

fredj338
06-08-2014, 08:56
We must be the only two looking for lead in the berms. I never see anyone else doing it.

There is so much lead bs around, many are afraid to shoot them, Even more afraid to cast them. Get as much as you can, it gets tougher to find free every year. If I had 2000#, it would not be enough, Jack would have backed me up on that.:supergrin:

SJ 40
06-08-2014, 09:37
There is so much lead bs around, many are afraid to shoot them, Even more afraid to cast them. Get as much as you can, it gets tougher to find free every year. If I had 2000#, it would not be enough, Jack would have backed me up on that.:supergrin:Yes Jack would have, so in his honor I will. SJ 40

fredj338
06-08-2014, 09:42
Yes Jack would have, so in his honor I will. SJ 40

Seriously though, the way the EPA is going, getting lead will become harder & harder. The lead ww is becoming extinct, lead roofing & plumbing, pretty much gone. So I collect where ever I can, but don't waste a lot of time or gas doing it. Keep your ears open, ask when you meet someone that may have a connection. Almost any lead based alloy can be made into bullets.if it dents/scratches, it will cast.

marvin
06-09-2014, 22:23

well to tell the truth i only give a good looking over when i have the kids with me. my back just doesn't like it

Gunnut 45/454
06-10-2014, 00:56
My brother did some hard core mining at a very well used public range a few years back. It yielded after a few DAYS of smelting, 500 plus pounds of casting lead- nice little Lee 1 lb ingots! And $90 of copper! The copper went to the recycler for the cash and all those ingots reside under my reloading bench! I now have all the lead I'll need for casting . Problem now is getting enough powder to send them back down range! And I cast for EVERY firearm I own!:supergrin:

fredj338
06-10-2014, 01:13
My brother did some hard core mining at a very well used public range a few years back. It yielded after a few DAYS of smelting, 500 plus pounds of casting lead- nice little Lee 1 lb ingots! And $90 of copper! The copper went to the recycler for the cash and all those ingots reside under my reloading bench! I now have all the lead I'll need for casting . Problem now is getting enough powder to send them back down range! And I cast for EVERY firearm I own!:supergrin:

500# is good start, but never enough, especially if you are shooing big bores.

ejs54
06-10-2014, 21:05
Very nice score indeed! I don't have minable berms where I shoot, or those that do are usually FMJ's but I can appreciate the thrill of the find. I don't cast my own either. My best score so far was ~250 once fired PMC .223 brass....with the boxes laying off to the side too. As if they knew I was coming.

(it's a small/ slow range and was there for hours before visiting that bay; wanted to make sure said shooter wasn't intending to claim)

fredj338
06-10-2014, 21:40
Very nice score indeed! I don't have minable berms where I shoot, or those that do are usually FMJ's but I can appreciate the thrill of the find. I don't cast my own either. My best score so far was ~250 once fired PMC .223 brass....with the boxes laying off to the side too. As if they knew I was coming.

(it's a small/ slow range and was there for hours before visiting that bay; wanted to make sure said shooter wasn't intending to claim)

A 230gr 45 fmj has a 200gr lead core, worth salvaging for the scrounger.:supergrin:

norton
06-11-2014, 05:19
A 230gr 45 fmj has a 200gr lead ore, worth salvaging for the scrounger.:supergrin:

Yes sir. Even full metal jackets are salvageable, as long as they have a crack in the jacket somewhere.

fredj338
06-11-2014, 13:26
Yes sir. Even full metal jackets are salvageable, as long as they have a crack in the jacket somewhere.

Well the FMJ are open at the base, no problem. Plated though, you need to smash them to get a crack. If not, bad things can happen during smelting. I have had one pop before, not good if the lid isn't on.
I don't bother with FMJ smaller than 40 though, not enough lead core to really matter & I can't sell the scrap jackets around here, so it's just trash.

norton
06-11-2014, 15:11
My favorites are the big lead slugs on the backstop of the rifle range. Guys who shoot blackpowder cartridge. They eventually work their way to the surface. I also find a lot of steel core bullets, probably from .50 cal. I toss them back.

fredj338
06-11-2014, 17:21
My favorites are the big lead slugs on the backstop of the rifle range. Guys who shoot blackpowder cartridge. They eventually work their way to the surface. I also find a lot of steel core bullets, probably from .50 cal. I toss them back.

Oh yeah! Everyone once & awhile, the local 50yd range gets a few 45-70 guys tossing 500gr LFP. Those are really nice to add to the scrap bucket! Kinda sad we are reduced to things like berm mining. I used to get all the free lead ww for the asking. That is gone in Kalif & more states to follow. If the Obama EPA gets it's way, lead ww will be banned across the country. AS it is, many states are converting just because the Kalif car/tire market drives the ww manuf. Kalif has more cars than 10 other states combined.:dunno:

nixpap
06-11-2014, 18:17
I do pretty good at the tire shop I get my oil changed at.

fredj338
06-11-2014, 18:28
I do pretty good at the tire shop I get my oil changed at.

It varies a lot by state. If you have access, I suggest getting all you can, stack it deep, it never goes bad, takes up little room. How much is enough? If I shoot 10K rds a year, a ton of lead only gets me 6-7 yrs shooting my 45acp.:crying: I wish I had seen the ban on lead ww here, I would have done a lot more scrounging.:whistling:

norton
06-11-2014, 18:41
Right now I have less then 100 pounds processed. I too wish I had a lot more. :crying:

fredj338
06-11-2014, 20:15
Right now I have less then 100 pounds processed. I too wish I had a lot more. :crying:

Yeah, about 3k 45s, a good start.:supergrin:

k7ant
06-13-2014, 11:01
I still have lead from the old days. I have a cast iron corn
bread skillet that is evenly divided into little wedges I pour
my lead into to make ingots. I have over 500# of them in
a sack in my storage area. Mostly wheel weights.
My son is a LEO and when they qualify he picks up the brass
as no one else wants it. .40, 45acp, 9MM and .223 by the
hundreds. He splits it with me.:supergrin:

fredj338
06-13-2014, 11:49
I still have lead from the old days. I have a cast iron corn
bread skillet that is evenly divided into little wedges I pour
my lead into to make ingots. I have over 500# of them in
a sack in my storage area. Mostly wheel weights.
My son is a LEO and when they qualify he picks up the brass
as no one else wants it. .40, 45acp, 9MM and .223 by the
hundreds. He splits it with me.:supergrin:
You are in a very good spot. My pop was LEO, used to bring me home Win factory 223 brass by the bucket, I didn't even have a 223 at the time, gave most of it away.:crying: