#5 load data for Barnes 160gr copper bullet [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : #5 load data for Barnes 160gr copper bullet

Snapper2
06-07-2014, 20:49
Checking load data from accurate's site it has ....160gr barnes bullet with 9.1gr of #5 (oal 1.254) going 1144fps out of a 5" barrel. For me out of a glock 3.8" barrel it almost reached 1000fps using the same primers(150). This is listed as a 45acp+p load. I had to work up to 9.6grs using 45super brass to even reach 1050fps and don't feel good about going higher as the primers are starting to show signs. I guess the published velocity is impossible to reach safely in a glock compact barrel,but thought I could get closer with this powder.:dunno:

WeeWilly
06-07-2014, 21:53
Checking load data from accurate's site it has ....160gr barnes bullet with 9.1gr of #5 (oal 1.254) going 1144fps out of a 5" barrel. For me out of a glock 3.8" barrel it almost reached 1000fps using the same primers(150). This is listed as a 45acp+p load. I had to work up to 9.6grs using 45super brass to even reach 1050fps and don't feel good about going higher as the primers are starting to show signs. I guess the published velocity is impossible to reach safely in a glock compact barrel,but thought I could get closer with this powder.:dunno:

Barrel length can make an enormous difference, as you have observed.

Snapper2
06-08-2014, 10:06
Barrel length can make an enormous difference, as you have observed.

Didn't realize it could mean 150 fps. :wow:

WeeWilly
06-08-2014, 10:34
Didn't realize it could mean 150 fps. :wow:

That is pretty extreme, but I have seen some close to that with similar barrel length differences. A lot depends on the bullet/powder combination, as well of course, the caliber your are shooting. Other things that can affect relative performance are chamber dimensions, the brass, primers, barrel (some barrels are actually faster than others), etc. Even lot to lot difference in powder can affect results. When you sum all the variables you can get really big spreads with just an inch or so.

Snapper2
06-08-2014, 11:59
That is pretty extreme, but I have seen some close to that with similar barrel length differences. A lot depends on the bullet/powder combination, as well of course, the caliber your are shooting. Other things that can affect relative performance are chamber dimensions, the brass, primers, barrel (some barrels are actually faster than others), etc. Even lot to lot difference in powder can affect results. When you sum all the variables you can get really big spreads with just an inch or so.

Thanks Willy, I guess I'll blame it on the Glock chamber dimension and barrel length. After looking at some of the factory ammo(dpx,bill Wilson) with the 160gr copper bullet, the 1050fps I got with 9.6gr and 45super brass seems in line with 4" barrels. I know I can get more velocity with power pistol or long shot but I like #5 because it burns clean.

WeeWilly
06-08-2014, 13:33
I think we all get kind of hung up on velocity, I know I do, but really at 1050fps that bullet is going to do some serious damage with anything it hits. One of these days, probably sooner than we all know, we will all be scrambling around trying to figure new copper only loads, here in CA I think it will be very near future.

One last thing I thought of is different chronographs. One day some of the usual at a range I was shooting at had three different chronographs all set up testing different rounds. I took one of my best 308 loads (low single digit SD load) and shot it through all three. The ES was over 45fps. So in addition to all the other factors, two different chronographs will rarely come in the same. Did I mention OAT?... ;)

Snapper2
06-16-2014, 19:52
Well I have ordered some Buffalo Bore solid copper ammo that I plan to carry in my G30S. I believe I have come pretty close to their velocity with 10gr of #5 in 45super brass. I worked up from 9.1gr. 9.6, and 9.8gr finally broke 1100fps. I shot 6 rounds with 10gr today but didn't run it through chrony. It is accurate and you can't tell its +p. The 160gr copper bullet is a soft shooter. No bad pressure signs out of the glock barrel. I did use 45super brass with 150 primers though. I will run them both through the chrony when my Buffalo Bore ammo arrives.

WeeWilly
06-16-2014, 20:55
Thanks for the update. I will be interested to see the difference between the BB and your loads. I might buy some of those and give them a whirl, I have a bunch of once fired Starline .45 Super brass all polished up with nowhere to go.

Snapper2
06-22-2014, 15:30
Thanks for the update. I will be interested to see the difference between the BB and your loads. I might buy some of those and give them a whirl, I have a bunch of once fired Starline .45 Super brass all polished up with nowhere to go.

Had a chance to run a few through my prochrono today. Ammotogo didn't have the BB barnes 160gr so I bought the BB barnes 185+p. They use starline +p brass with an OAL of 1.200". FPS of 3 bullets was 1060,1060,and 1067.(buffalo bore advertises 1100fps for a g30) Out of my G30S the felt recoil was like a +p 230gr load. My top load for 160gr all copper hollowpoint was 10gr of #5 in 45super brass with OAL of 1.235. It shot fine out of my gen 3 g30 with factory barrel but out of the G30S barrel it and the Buffalo Bore load are showing high pressure signs(smiley) although the primers aren't that bad. I need to back off to 9.7gr in this barrel. The two I ran through chronograph were 1114fps which did not increase that much over 9.8gr. I'm backing off.

Snapper2
06-22-2014, 16:06
45super brass

WeeWilly
06-23-2014, 10:46
Hard to see the brass in the picture, but you are right, smiles mean you are way over pressure and backing down is required.

IMO, primers can be a good indicator or they can mean nothing, the only way you get to know which one it is takes a lot of experience with the specific guns and components you are playing with to make any determination. I think one of the scariest things I read on these threads is when a newbie says they are watching the primers to determine when to stop...

Thanks for posting the results, helps with starting points a lot.