Lee Deluxe [Pistol calibers] Die Care [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Deluxe [Pistol calibers] Die Care

C6vetter
06-12-2014, 16:32
have had for 12 mos ... seeing light surface rust on outside of dies. Are Lee's prone to this? What steps do you take to minimize rust? They are indoors in cool, dry HVAC environment.

Bren
06-12-2014, 17:05
Mine have been untouched in a very damp basement for about 4 or 5 years, until I recently decided to do some reloading. No rust issues. Maybe you should try that.

WeeWilly
06-12-2014, 18:03
Because of where I live (very near the ocean), I get more rusting in general than most other places I have lived.

I have quite a few Lee dies, some rust pretty easily, others never seem to show any rust. I don't worry about the outside on the ones that seem to pick up surface rust. On all my Lee dies, I keep a coat of oil inside and clean before/after use and re-oil before putting away.

southernclimber
06-12-2014, 20:20
after my first use mine started doing some surface rust as well. Mine are kept in a outdoor shed that its insulated and stays cool as well as sealed so very little moisture gets in. I took a brass brush to knock most of it off and am waiting for my rcbs die cleaner to get here, don't think it will hurt my lee dies, but will find it

Kentguy
06-13-2014, 04:12
C6vetter "have had for 12 mos ... seeing light surface rust on outside of dies. Are Lee's prone to this?"

The short answer from my experience is no. Mine are kept in my basement shop (cool/dry environment). I do from time to time swab them out with a Q-Tip and a touch of Hoppies on the threads so perhaps this may prevent any type of corrosion from starting? :dunno:

PCJim
06-13-2014, 06:52
Here in a hot, humid garage in S FL they will develop surface rust if not taken care of. When I'm cleaning firearms and happen to see some developing, I'll give them a quick shot of Rem Oil. I've never given any thought to doing so on the insides. Maybe I should check. If you don't like the looks of the surface, take some 0000 steel wool and give them a quick rub. It will remove any surface rust that is there.

RonS
06-17-2014, 20:02
http://boeshield.com/

Last I read, still the champion. Also if you store your dies you could get some boxes and VCI paper.

I laid off reloading and shooting for nearly ten years and one set of my dies had rusted out of five or six.

blastfact
06-18-2014, 19:04
Some of my Lee dies get a tad of surface rust from time to time. It's always in the knurling where my fingers work them when adjusting. Any light oil and a tooth brush takes care of it never to return again.

Charlie026
06-19-2014, 18:09
Can't put a time duration on the dies, but have had several sets for years and years with no rust to date. Keep them in the utility room with the HVAC and washer and dryer.