Picking Up Brass at the Range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picking Up Brass at the Range

BrentC
06-13-2014, 15:10
When I shoot at the range, I shoot .40, .45 and some 9mm. Because I will probably buy a reloader , I have started picking up my brass. The problem is my brass is mixed with other's brass and I doubt the range appreciates me taking brass that is not mine since they sell their once used brass.

What are your thoughts? Make an effort to pick up only what is yours even if that means leaving some of yours behind? Pick up what's around you and if you pick up others brass oh well,it makes up for any you may have left behind? One person I asked said he felt if it has not been swept and dumped in the brass bucket, it is OK to pick up.

What are your thoughts.

Hoochrunners
06-13-2014, 15:41
IMO unless there's a posted/communicated policy anything left behind is all fair game. A rule I teach my kids is to leave it like you found it if not better.

I will not visit any range that at least doesn't let you pick up your own brass. You bought it, you own it. Shooting events excluded.

BrentC
06-13-2014, 15:56
I can't imagine ranges being opposed to you picking up your own, I was just referring to when picking up, how far should you go to make sure you don't pick up more than what you shot since your brass will be mixed with other brass left behind.

G36_Me
06-13-2014, 16:40
Really? Time to understand that u are on the verge of an incur able disease. Don't fight it. It starts innocently, then your polite "ma'am / sir, are u going to pick up ur brass? Oh. May I have it?"

Soon you will be staring at the floor hoping the person leaves so u can grab the brass. You will be glaring like a rabid dog at anyone who trys to swoop in on ur claim.

Worrying about fairness is the least of ur issues. Soon you will be digging in the garbage muttering "I cannot believe that fool through some brass in here."

If your not bragging "Oh ya, I have x number of 5 gallon buckets full of brass" then u feel inadequate. Soon u will be old and telling ur wife and kids... " this brass is valuable, don't just give it away or throw ( oh my God! ) throw it away. They will look at u strange and then you'll start repeating yourself. You'll feel as if u haven't made a strong enough case so u go to the internet and pull up sites that sell brass and show your spouse, see, see, see, I told u this was valuable.

BrentC, you are in trouble. It's too late. You are one of us!

njl
06-13-2014, 18:28
If you want to be reasonably sure you only pick up your brass, when you open a box of factory ammo, remove the tray, use a fat tipped sharpie or similar marking pen to mark a stripe down each row of bullets across the headstamps/primers. This mark will survive being run through your gun...it may even survive being tumbled when you eventually start cleaning your brass. When you go to pick up brass, if it's got the stripe, odds are, it's yours.

fredj338
06-13-2014, 18:42
I try & leave with the same amount I came with, regardless if it is the brand I brought. Seems fair to me, but some range owners are dicks. There are ranges that will tell you that you can't pick up your brass. I won't shoot at such places, unless they would like to pay me for the brass?

motorcyclist
06-13-2014, 18:59
All 3 indoor ranges here have the same policy, only pick up your brass and leave everything else. They have you mark your cases with a sharpie but it's really an honor system. The outdoor public range has no policy. I always ask if they're picking up their brass before hand. Some days everybody is picking up and your telling people to leave yours, other days I'm the only one picking up brass. Last time there I came home with 200+ 9mm, 50+ .380 and a bunch of 38spl. cases and was shooting 45acp and 357mag.

sciolist
06-13-2014, 19:59
The key is to start teaching people to shoot. Of course they will generally be pretty green, and shooting factory ammo. Lay down a few fast runs and they'll probably even pick up the brass for you.

SJ 40
06-13-2014, 21:19
Brass is too valuable to leave laying around. SJ 40

Kentguy
06-14-2014, 05:06
BrentC,

I feel the same way as Hoochrunners "...IMO unless there's a posted/communicated policy anything left behind is all fair game..."

Now in some ranges up here they do have signs posted and I certainly abide to there rules and leave the brass. However if you are going to start into the wonder world of reloading the one thing you had better start collecting is BRASS! Please DO be respectful about other shooters around, no one likes someone sweeping up brass too close to you when you are firing live ammo down range! I have had someone do that to me - Definitely not cool/not safe!

Doesn't matter what caliber you collect, you never know if at some time in the future you may pick up a gun in that caliber or not? You can always use it to trade with other re-loaders for what you may need.

I keep a scrap bucket on hand for rejects or .22's and when I collect enough I turn them in to a scrap place near by and get a few dollars for them.

Good luck and be safe out there

sig357fan
06-14-2014, 21:00
Really? Time to understand that u are on the verge of an incur able disease. Don't fight it. It starts innocently, then your polite "ma'am / sir, are u going to pick up ur brass? Oh. May I have it?"

Soon you will be staring at the floor hoping the person leaves so u can grab the brass. You will be glaring like a rabid dog at anyone who trys to swoop in on ur claim.

Worrying about fairness is the least of ur issues. Soon you will be digging in the garbage muttering "I cannot believe that fool through some brass in here."

If your not bragging "Oh ya, I have x number of 5 gallon buckets full of brass" then u feel inadequate. Soon u will be old and telling ur wife and kids... " this brass is valuable, don't just give it away or throw ( oh my God! ) throw it away. They will look at u strange and then you'll start repeating yourself. You'll feel as if u haven't made a strong enough case so u go to the internet and pull up sites that sell brass and show your spouse, see, see, see, I told u this was valuable.

BrentC, you are in trouble. It's too late. You are one of us!

so true....so true!

G36_Me, you forgot the part about having a large quantity of brass you don't currently own a firearm for....but, ya know....maybe you'll pic one up sometime soon and will need that brass. :thumbsup:

fullmetal1911
06-15-2014, 01:06
Big +1 on picking up stuff for calibers you don't shoot...YET

My fiance is a much more friendly person than I am, and she is usually the one to ask the people next to us as they start to sweep up their brass if they reload. When they almost always give that answer, "No." she is back quick with the "you mind if we have it?"

She used to ask me if it was a caliber we shoot, I finally decided a while back to just start taking everything. Well, I started shooting 40S&W a while back and I already had about 3K tumbled brass because I have been collecting so much of it. Sure a lot of it was "Glock'd up" but I have a die set up to de-bulge the cases.

IMHO though, you picked a horrible time to get into reloading. Prices are still artificially inflated, like 22lr ammo and powder seems to be harder to find than 22lr ammo. My theory is all these fly-by-night ammo "remanufacturers" that have sprung up in the post-Sandy Hook era.

Good luck to you. Reloading becomes a separate hobby in and of itself.

ezdaar
06-15-2014, 03:05
Tripod and a pool net. Position it to catch brass.

johnson8861
06-15-2014, 03:37
Take the kids to the range, they will pick it clean of any brass.

Kentguy
06-15-2014, 06:01
johnson8861 "Take the kids to the range, they will pick it clean of any brass."

That's a great idea! Only in my case it would have to be my grand-kids... :supergrin:

RustyL
06-15-2014, 06:19
I always kick left over brass out of my way, left by the previous shooter. I retrieve as much as possible of my own.

And yes as stated above, when your wants and needs increase with reloading, it turns into an illness. You will enjoy reloading. There is a lot of knowledge in this forum.

d123gaw
06-15-2014, 06:50
I guess I'm the odd one out and prolly shouldn't say this but I ended up buying 5lbs of brass from my range. I know some of it was mine that I had lost. It was mostly federal and Winchester.

JBnTX
06-15-2014, 06:58
I steal brass from my range...:whistling:

Kentguy
06-15-2014, 07:22
d123gaw "...I guess I'm the odd one out and prolly shouldn't say this but I ended up buying 5lbs of brass from my range..."

I have had to buy brass in the past as well. I remember when I was looking for .357 mag brass and couldn't find any, no matter where I went! One day I went to one of the ranges in my area and low & behold there on the shelf was a bag of just cleaned .357 mag brass - just staring at me. :wow:

What can I say... I just had to buy it.:supergrin:

Schrag4
06-15-2014, 09:00
I try to shoot on private property as often as possible, but when I'm at the indoor range I've had decent results politely asking those shooting next to me if they're keeping their brass. The last time, the couple to my right actually put their brass into the ammo box they had just emptied and handed it to me when they left.

The indoor range I occasionally shoot at doesn't have a "no pickup" policy, but they do sell once-fired brass so of course I don't rummage through the buckets :supergrin: I tend to agree that anything not yet swept into the buckets is fair game, though.

colin1230
06-15-2014, 10:11
At the range I frequent the RO doesn't care about brass left on the floor until it's in the bucket, then it is off-limits. I try to leave with about what a brought, sometimes more sometimes less. Politely inquiring about my neighbors brass has been a great way to meet other shooters. Occasionally I will run into someone that scarfs every piece that hits the floor. When I realize the guy next to me is quick to pick up my brass I switch to a revolver or .22 autoloader.

Yellowfin
06-15-2014, 18:22
I pick brass before and after I shoot as a matter of obsessive habit. It's kind of a zen exercise to help me clear my mind and add relaxation value to the trip. I shoot at a large outdoor club so it's all fair game, and what I pick up undoubtedly equals what I pay in membership dues so I consider it like cash back rewards on purchases. I stocked WAY ahead on 9mm and now have a 34 that's going to need to be fed with it. .40 brass is unusually scarce right now for some reason, seeing far less of it on the ground proportionally to other calibers, and that's putting a bit of a damper on my .40 shooting right now--seems to parallel a lot of .40 guns on the used market right now in considerably greater abundance than 9.

IndyGunFreak
06-15-2014, 19:47
I can't imagine ranges being opposed to you picking up your own, I was just referring to when picking up, how far should you go to make sure you don't pick up more than what you shot since your brass will be mixed with other brass left behind.

If it's left behind, pick it up.

Now, if you're shooting, and you're shooting near some other shooters, then I would use discretion and try to make sure I didn't pick up their brass....

However, more often than not, at the range where I'm a member... I'll see people grab the dustpan to sweep their brass into the trash can, and I just tell them not to worry about it, I'll clean all the brass up when I'm done shooting. Then I just use my broom and dustpan and sweep it all into a 5gal bucket. Go home, keep what I can use, toss the rest. If it's a slow day at the range and there's a lot of brass, I'll sort out there what I can't use, so my bucket only has brass I can use.

IGF

wct097
06-16-2014, 05:58
My local indoor range doesn't have a posted policy. I will pick up my brass and any other brass that happens to be close to me and my brass, including anything left in the stall I'm using. Out of respect, I don't pick up other people's brass to keep (though I will clean it up and toss it in the bucket) unless the people leaving the brass offer it to me.

I figure that's a fair deal. It's in my best interest for the range to be profitable so that it stays in business. Besides, I have plenty of brass for the calibers I load. I can't even remember the last time I actually had the components to load all of my empty brass.

Outdoor range with no RO is a different deal all together. I'll grab anything and everything. I have a bucket at home where I sort out all of the brass I don't currently use.

fredj338
06-16-2014, 08:16
Brass is too valuable to leave laying around. SJ 40

You would think. I shoot at small a private range. There is always 9 & 40 on he ground, a lot of Leo shoot there. I got lucky Sunday, some guys left out 100/223, 50/45 & 50/357mag.:supergrin:

itstime
06-16-2014, 09:11
I simply start sweeping around me and work my way out to the point I feel I'm collecting others shooting around me.

If they left or nobody else is there, the area becomes much larger.

Bluescot
06-17-2014, 23:17
I shoot outdoors in the desert but at places where a lot of other shooter also go. It's easy to find these places because there usually is a bunch of trash left by the shooters.

I've had days when I've found 500 cases and others when the total was 40. Usually the calibers we find are limited to 9mm, .40, .45, and .223/5.56. My guess is that over the past 5 years I've probably picked up 5,000 cases.

Kentguy
06-18-2014, 11:27
fredj338 "...There is always 9 & 40 on he ground..."

At the range I shoot at they are like flies - just all over! The only brass that seems to be a rare find is .357 mag brass. :dunno:

ptmccain
06-18-2014, 11:38
I actually once considered shooting a brass hound who was actually walking up right behind me picking up my brass as I was shooting it, in a combat pit that I had to myself. I turned around and said, "Would you come back after I'm gone?" He gave me a look like "What am I doing wrong?" Then I said, "I mean, I'd had to have to shoot you to make you stop" followed by a quick laugh.

He left.

fredj338
06-18-2014, 13:21
fredj338 "...There is always 9 & 40 on he ground..."

At the range I shoot at they are like flies - just all over! The only brass that seems to be a rare find is .357 mag brass. :dunno:

Yeah, the only place I usually find ample 45acp is the idpa club. Still a lot of guys shooting factory. Unfortunately, much of it is the sp stuff.:steamed:

fredj338
06-18-2014, 13:24
I actually once considered shooting a brass hound who was actually walking up right behind me picking up my brass as I was shooting it, in a combat pit that I had to myself. I turned around and said, "Would you come back after I'm gone?" He gave me a look like "What am I doing wrong?" Then I said, "I mean, I'd had to have to shoot you to make you stop" followed by a quick laugh.

He left.

Happened to me several times, really rude range behavior. I had to tell the guy to leave my brass alone. Like dude, I am shooting here, loaded gun, hello!! There are a lot of range scrounges taking the brass for scrap. That is just brass abuse.

Kentguy
06-18-2014, 14:18
fredj388 "...Still a lot of guys shooting factory. Unfortunately, much of it is the sp stuff.":steamed:

I know we have discussed this in previous posts but your point is worth mentioning here again. A month or two ago I picked up a pretty good amount of .45 ACP brass from the range. I now inspect .45's because a fairly large amount of that brass will be small pistol primer brass... sucks I know!

Made mostly of "Blazer" brand brass which currently runs from $20-$24 for a box of 50, it's "fairly" inexpensive (for .45's) to shoot. Federal also makes .45 ACP in spp as well.

If you are just starting to reload and are not aware of this already - when you pick up brass at your local range, specifically .45 ACP brass, be aware that you will find large pistol & small pistol brass mixed together. Doesn't mean much until you start running them through your turret/progressive presses.

Then you'll understand fred's - :steamed:

fredj338
06-18-2014, 15:52
Also Winchester NT, so lots of sp culprits out there. SOme foreign brands as well, maybe S&B? I found some sp 45acp brass that was berdan! Ouch, try decapping those.

srd
06-20-2014, 13:25
I went to an indoor range with a friend of mine. As I was talking to the guy behind the counter to sign up for a lane..I saw the sign for their rules. ALL empty brass is property of the range. So I asked. Does this mean you are paying people for the brass ? Talk about a dirty disgusted look !! I said..I take that as a NO. I walked out !!

fredj338
06-20-2014, 13:29
I went to an indoor range with a friend of mine. As I was talking to the guy behind the counter to sign up for a lane..I saw the sign for their rules. ALL empty brass is property of the range. So I asked. Does this mean you are paying people for the brass ? Talk about a dirty disgusted look !! I said..I take that as a NO. I walked out !!

Been there, I just picked up my brass. When the guy called me on it, I told him tough, my property, I still do it on the rare occasion I go to that range. They are free to refund my $$ & I will leave. Uh, yeah, right.

PaulMason
06-20-2014, 15:30
When I shoot at the range, I shoot .40, .45 and some 9mm. Because I will probably buy a reloader , I have started picking up my brass. The problem is my brass is mixed with other's brass and I doubt the range appreciates me taking brass that is not mine since they sell their once used brass.

What are your thoughts? Make an effort to pick up only what is yours even if that means leaving some of yours behind? Pick up what's around you and if you pick up others brass oh well,it makes up for any you may have left behind? One person I asked said he felt if it has not been swept and dumped in the brass bucket, it is OK to pick up.

What are your thoughts.

Take a black marker and just mark the primer area with it. You can then identify your brass if anyone asks.

If you are going to reload, this is important.