C6vetter
06-13-2014, 19:14
Have extreme 230 gr hp, cci LPP

powders: power pistol, wst, wsf, unique

Recommendations and speeds?

Kentguy
06-14-2014, 05:38
C6vetter "Recommendations and speeds?"

I have used Power Pistol & WST in .45 ACP never tried WSF in this caliber. With both powders I used Hornday's XTP HP bullets in my tests but I'll give you what I came up with.

Test gun - Glock G21 w/4.60" barrel

Bullet - 230g XTP HP (Hornady)
Powder - WST @ 4.7g
Powder range - 4.1g up to 4.9g (Hodgdon reloading annual)
Final test charges/velocity -
4.5g = 708 fps
4.7g = 738 fps
4.9g = 753 fps
OAL - 1.230"

WST meters very consistent, is clean burning and delivers a smooth controllable firing round. Accuracy in all rounds was very good, but not sure about expansion (didn't run test on that).

Powder - Power Pistol @ 6.9g
Powder range - 5.5g up to 7.1g (Hornady 9th edition)
6.9g = 845 fps
7.1g = 870 fps
7.3g = 897 fps
OAL - 1.230"

Power Pistol sure lived up to its name during this test. A strong powder (but not over-powering), it burns very clean in all test charges with very little sigh of over/under burn in and outside of the spent brass. Accuracy was outstanding and at these speeds I'm sure expansion would be more than satisfactory.

It really depends on what you are ultimately going for with your loads. Both of these powders will produce and excellent cartridge/results for you whether you are looking for a target load or an EDC type of round.

Good luck and be safe

Kwesi
06-14-2014, 07:58
My Power Pistol load:

6.6 grains
CCI LP
1.260 COAL
835 FPS (my chrono)
G21
230 gr FMJ Precison Delta

BTW: this load worked flawlessly in my buddy's Mac-10 full auto.

C6vetter
06-14-2014, 13:46
C6vetter "Recommendations and speeds?"

I have used Power Pistol & WST in .45 ACP never tried WSF in this caliber. With both powders I used Hornday's XTP HP bullets in my tests but I'll give you what I came up with.

Test gun - Glock G21 w/4.60" barrel

Powder - WST @ 4.7g
Powder range - 4.1g up to 4.9g (Hodgdon reloading annual)
4.5g = 708 fps
4.7g = 738 fps
4.9g = 753 fps
OAL - 1.230"

WST meters very consistent, is clean burning and delivers a smooth controllable firing round. Accuracy in all rounds was very good, but not sure about expansion (didn't run test on that).

Powder - Power Pistol @ 6.9g
Powder range - 5.5g up to 7.1g (Hornady 9th edition)
6.9g = 845 fps
7.1g = 870 fps
7.3g = 897 fps
OAL - 1.230"

Power Pistol sure lived up to its name during this test. A strong powder (but not over-powering), it burns very clean in all test charges with very little sigh of over/under burn in and outside of the spent brass. Accuracy was outstanding and at these speeds I'm sure expansion would be more than satisfactory.

It really depends on what you are ultimately going for with your loads. Both of these powders will produce and excellent cartridge/results for you whether you are looking for a target load or an EDC type of round.

Good luck and be safe

GREAT info! Thank you, Kentguy!

Kentguy
06-15-2014, 05:56
C6vetter,

No problem, glad to help.

I'm not sure if you already do this or something like this but I'll toss this out there anyway.

When it comes to "speed" thoughts/recommendations I will purchase a box of factory made ammo that I like to shoot and run tests on them first. Than you will have at least a base line of data to start with and having already fired this ammo you already know what you are getting into.

Test gun - Glock .45 G21 w/4.60" barrel

For general .45 ACP target rounds;
Federal "American Eagle" ammo
230g fmj - box listed at 830 fps/my 6 shot avg = 798 fps
Remington "UMC" ammo
230g fmj - box listed at 835 fps/my 6 shot avg = 823 fps
Winchester "white box" ammo
230g fmj - Winchester lists at 835 fps/my 6 shot avg = 823

For more "social work" :whistling:
Hornady "Custom" ammo
230g XTP HP +P - box listed at 950 fps/my 6 shot avg = 888 fps

Next hit your load books and decide where you want to start testing and go from there.

If you start off a test with the most data you can get your hands on, the better decisions you will make, you will cut down the excess tests (starting way too low or too high), and your results are less unpredictable and quite a bit safer as well.

Good luck and keep testing.