Almost carjacked yesterday... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Almost carjacked yesterday...

MrsKitty
05-31-2003, 19:14
I have already posted this in GNG and T&T. As somebody suggested, I am posting it here as well. I have no idea why but it didn't dawn on me that this was a women's issue too. I hope somebody can be helped by my experience:

I stopped just before a stoplight yesterday about 3:30 in a very busy intersection in a nice part of a pretty good-sized city, when the doofus in front of me decided to do something really stupid--pratically turn completely around in the middle of about a eight or nine lane highway/intersection. While I am stopped waiting for them to get out of the way, some guy comes up behind me and hits me. Hard enough to scare me, but not hard enough to really hurt my car.

I immediately pick up my phone and call 911. I am watching the guy in my rearview mirror and when he gets out of the car he puts his left hand in his pocket like he is trying to hide something. I reach for my Glock. I have it ready before he gets to my door, but hidden down behind my leg where he can't see it.

I am a single blonde (some would automatically assume that makes me stupid...) female driving a current model car. Yet, I don't assume nothing at this point. After all it is raining, and he could have just slid on the wet asphalt.

The guy asks me if I am ok. I tell him yes, he mainly scared me. He comes closer. I tell him to "back away from the car." He says that I need to get out and look at the car, that he has really messed up the rear end. I tell him later. He insists I look right then since I "have got to fix it right now". I tell him that I don't exactly have a body shop with me nor can I fix it, so I am not concerned until I get an estimate about that since I know insurance will cover it.

He comes closer and I tell him to "back away from the car" again. Well, he then tells me that he will get me his insurance info only if I get out and come back to his car. I tell him that he can go get it himeself and bring it back to me. I repeat my warning to back away from the car. He looks at me stupidly. I ask him "do you understand what back away from the car means?"

He takes a few steps back and calls somebody. I crack the back window enough I can hear him agitatedly telling them "No,no, I can't do that." Then, "No, that won't work." And finally, "No, I don't think she will do that" followed by "I don't think I can" while he is dancing around. Well, while he is on the phone I call back to 911 and tell them that he keeps trying to get me out of the car. The female dispacther immediately tells me not to get out (like I would!!) no matter what and to run if I need to. She asks if I have a way to defend myself. I tell her that I do have a permit and I already have the gun out. She tells me to not to hesitate to protect myself.

He comes back and walks almost right up to the window. I start to raise my gun and tell him to "back away from the car". He comes closer and I tell him, "You really need to back away from this car right now before I feel like I have to protect myself. Do you understand?" He looks at me, quickly takes a couple steps backwards and tells me that he is moving his car off the road into an adjacent parking lot. I tell him "Fine. Then you need to stay in your car until the police arrive. Do you understand?" He says, "You called the police?" I tell him yes, twice. He hauls butt to the car and runs. The last I saw of him was his taillights under the red light he ran.

I feel like he had intentions of carjacking me, but he was either unsure of himself/inexperienced or I suprised him when he got close enough to see a 6-D cell MagLite in my lap and me obviously hiding something else behind my leg. He never did take his left hand out of the pocket. When he was dialing, it was more than obvious that he was left handed but he kept fumbling with his right hand only. I believe he had a weapon of some sort in there, most likely a small gun.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Do you all think that he was going to carjack me? Did I handle things right? What would you have done differently?

Thanks for you input.

flygirl
06-06-2003, 21:25
I think you did the right thing. Were you alone in the car? And did others see this happening to you? I can't say what I would have done, but you kept your head and warned him. Many times it sounds like. In the city that I live in I have never heard of this type of thing happening. But now that I have read your story I will be more aware of the possibilities. Thank you.

agtman
06-09-2003, 18:31
My wife travels a great deal and I worry all the time about just this same carjack scenario. Just a little tap to get you stopped and out of the car. A scumbag isn't too concerned about the condition of his vehicle, but honest working people are. Also, being law-abiding citizens, they're aware about the laws for stopping after noninjury accidents and exchanging insurance info. That's why even after very minor fender-benders honest people stop and exit their vehicles. Carjackers know this and count on it.

My advice: don't second guess yourself.

You were aware of your circumstances and you were prepared to protect yourself. You used verbal warnings and didn't lose your head with the weapon, didn't fall to an obvious ploy to get you out of your car, and immediately called 911 with the incident then in progress. And nobody got hurt - most importantly you. From your description, I'd say you did all the right things.

Especially suspicious, in hindsight, is this guy's high-tailing it from an accident scene when you told him the police had been called. Now, maybe he just had warrants and fled for reasons unrelated to you. Or, maybe he did have an illegal (unpermitted) handgun and was intent on taking your vehicle, or you and the vehicle. But whatever the case, your observations and awareness alerted you to the risk of the greater danger, and you handled it appropriately.

HTH.

forthehalibut
06-09-2003, 21:27
What did the cops do when they finally arrived?

MrsKitty
06-09-2003, 21:36
Originally posted by forthehalibut
What did the cops do when they finally arrived?

Took a report for my insurance, nothing really...

What could they do?

The officer was really nice, great actually but there was nothing he could do.

06-19-2003, 00:15
Sounds like you did everything right to me. My girlfriend drives alot and packs a S&W 908 as her weapon of choice. Glad your ok!

Kolchak
06-26-2003, 12:47
Congratulations on having such terrific instincts and the
ability to keep your cool under pressure. I believe that we
all wish that we would behave the same way. You really proved
yourself on this one.

pizzaaguy
06-26-2003, 13:08
Sounds like you did real good! ;)

Captain
06-28-2003, 11:34
I can only hope that my wife will handle a situation like this as good as you did. She's been carrying for 25 years and has been to several big name defensive shooting schools. Kudos to you for a job well done!

Amelia
07-15-2003, 20:55
Good job, misskitty. It's good to know you are not driving around in condition white all the time like so many people are. Being aware of what is going on around you is the first step in keeping safe and you did just what you should.

Amelia

bvmjethead
07-15-2003, 21:55
Sounds like you handled it perfectly.

Chuck TX
07-16-2003, 17:05
Definitely sounds like someone was trying to pull the old bump-n-jack on you.

Glad you handled the situation appropriately.

TheTam
07-26-2003, 11:19
You did great, Misskitty--didn't overreact and get yourself arrested, nor underreact and get yourself kidnapped. Kudos!

To me, it sound like these guys were amateur, first-time car-jackers. You were fortunate in that regard.

Me, I keep my Glock 30 (with Heinie Straight-8 night sights) tucked into the map pocket of my car door, and I'm left-handed. I honestly thing it's an advantage to be left-handed with carjackers--the gun's right there where you need it.

MrsKitty
07-26-2003, 21:41
Originally posted by TheTam

Me, I keep my Glock 30 (with Heinie Straight-8 night sights) tucked into the map pocket of my car door, and I'm left-handed. I honestly thing it's an advantage to be left-handed with carjackers--the gun's right there where you need it.

I have thought about carrying in the map pocket before but it is way too akward for me since I am right-handed.

I have a velcro-sided holster that I can slap down on the side of the console on my right side when I opt to carry that method which works for me in a similiar way. It also works good to tuck under the floormat since it don't slide around too. Grab the gun, the holster stays.

Tazz10m
07-30-2003, 10:17
You did PERFECT Miss Kitty!

Keep that gun in your RIGHT hand, hidden by your leg, (so you are not "brandishing" it) and the moment you START seeing that jackarse take his hand out of his pocket, pull your gun, point, determine the actual threat, and "handle it" as needed. Be ready to shoot over your left shoulder towards the rear as it is likely that is where a threat will retreat to get a shot at you without getting hit himself. Be ready to hit the gas. Run him over if you have to.

This guy was trying to jack you for sure. All logic indicates he hit you with a stolen car and was trying to get yours so he and his buddy (on the phone) could get to the next victim.

I am SO impressed! I am SO proud of you! You even called 911 first off as soon as you were hit! VERY good!!!

GeorgeAtl
08-13-2003, 13:08
Kudos, MissKitty!!

You did very well, and maintained your cool throughout this thing. I Only hope that if it happens to me, that I can keep my wits about me as you did so well!

Roland O'Gilead
12-07-2003, 19:59
An excellent response to a less-than-excellent situation. If only the entire citizenry would be as aware and prepared as you showed yourself to be.

Melissa Ann
12-08-2003, 19:05
Yes, MissKitty, you done good. As I was told a couple years ago when a bad guy wanted to tangle with me, any time you can walk away - it's a good ending.

Take care and be proud you're not sheep - or food.

Good job,
Melissa

asianthug47
12-16-2003, 23:20
now u need a red or pink or a stainless steel guns so those ******* can recgonize and run away faster.

i would cap his car so that the police got something to search for.

SmartOne
12-17-2003, 01:04
You WERE almost jacked! A very similar incident happened to me at a gun range, several years ago. Same, 'song and dance' routine; same indecisive ambiguous behavior. In my opinion your caution and reserved aggression were warranted. This could, very easily, have turned out bad for you.

In my case I had, just, shot off the cylinder and two belt reloads with my Model 29, when - out of nowhere - this swarthy, well-dressed guy suddenly appears behind me; when I first saw him, he was standing next to my range bag! (He must have been watching me and deliberately staying out of my field of view.) He gave me a weird grin and remarked; 'You shot her dry; didn't you!' That was all I needed to hear; from that moment on, I had no doubt what was taking place. I immediately held the 44 magnum up with my left hand and showed him the open empty cylinder. As he looked at the Model 29 and smiled, I drew a pistol from my right hip, and said; 'Yes it's empty, all right; but this one is ready to go!'

Now this guy had, 'brass'. I could tell he was, 'phased' but not about to give up. (He, actually, made me feel like a, 'pigeon'.) He engaged me in a, sort of, jovial banter while steadily moving toward my gun hand. We, almost, completed a full circle together while he made small talk: He'd move to my right side; I'd shift my gun hand away from him; and he'd continue to move with me. He acted comical; but I could see the frustration in his eyes. I finally put one of the benchrests between us, cocked the hammer, and lay my hand down on the table with the muzzle pointing straight at him. I asked him; 'What kind of game are we playing, here?' His reply startled me. 'All I'm doing, today, is trying to pick up a birthday present for a friend.' Then he walked away from me; and I immediately threw my stuff in the truck and left the range. Shortly thereafter I bought my first cell phone; today, whenever I go out, I am never without it.

Now I'm the kind of guy who crosses every, 'T' and dots every, 'I'; but, in any situation like this, if you wait until that moment when you are absolutely certain, then, in my opinion, it will already be too late! I think you did the right thing. Oh, yeah, this guy had his left hand in his front pants pocket, almost, the entire time he talked to me. When he turned to leave I caught a glimpse of what I believe to have been a little, silver, Raven semi-automatic. I guess he didn't want to match it against the fifteen rounds held in my S&W Model 59. Smart choice! ;)

neon
12-20-2003, 16:57
You did everything just right. NEVER get out of your vehicle, always call the police. Telling him to back away was also the proper way to handle the situation. Infact, you did everything you should.

I worked for an insurance company for many years and saw reports that would scare you to death. Women who were grabbed out of their vehicles and killed. It isn't always car jacking, sometimes they want the lady in the vehicle. Mostly women who were at shopping centers. I believe shopping centers are very dangerous. These men drive up so close to the opposite side of a woman's car that she can't get out. Then they get in the vehicle on the other side. They drove off with one woman and took her to a farm and killed her. They found her body in a field.

Also at Christmas time women will have their hands full and not even notice someone behind them following them to their cars. Always be sure you are not being followed and go back into the store and get help if someone follows you. But, I don't need to tell you, you seem very able to take care of yourself. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Molly:)

Psalm 16 1,2,3
Preserve me O God; for in thee do I put my trust. O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent , in whom is all my delight.

Aaron
12-21-2003, 00:24
Way to go Miss Kitty! Great job staying cool under pressure!

SmartOne -- You too kept your cool and I imagine that is hard to do in that kind of situation (with the adrenaline pumping and all...)

I ALWAYS keep extra ammo for one of my guns when I leave the range for that very reason -- who said you can't be robbed from someone who saw you shooting? Especially out here -- on the lonely, two-lane country roads that lead to outdoor shooting ranges, I like to be prepared for situations I hope I am never in.

Thanks for sharing your stories folks!

Lior
01-01-2005, 11:48
Miss Kitty, I've just read this thread, and I think that you were just awesome! Good work. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe. Lior

Cat91
01-01-2005, 15:23
Well done.

That has all the signs not of an attempted carjack, but an attempted kidnap. I think YOU were the target, not your car. His conversation on the telephone confirms it for me. If you'd got out, he'd probably have tried to get you into HIS car. If he'd wanted the car he'd have rushed you with his gun out from jump.

A woman alone is often a target for this kind of thing. It is one of the reasons I carry. I have about a quarter mile walk from the courthouse to my car every day, alone. Anyone who wanted to try something would have ample time and opportunity to do so. A disarmed woman is a nother term for "victim" in our criminal society. I'd bet that he knew you were armed after what you said to him about backing off the car before you had to protect yourself-that and the police inbound to your location's why he ran.

Miao, Cat

BlondeGlockGirl
01-01-2005, 15:40
Wow, excellent job Ladies! ;+

MrsKitty
01-01-2005, 19:03
Originally posted by Cat91
Well done.

That has all the signs not of an attempted carjack, but an attempted kidnap. I think YOU were the target, not your car. His conversation on the telephone confirms it for me. If you'd got out, he'd probably have tried to get you into HIS car. If he'd wanted the car he'd have rushed you with his gun out from jump.

A woman alone is often a target for this kind of thing. It is one of the reasons I carry. I have about a quarter mile walk from the courthouse to my car every day, alone. Anyone who wanted to try something would have ample time and opportunity to do so. A disarmed woman is a nother term for "victim" in our criminal society. I'd bet that he knew you were armed after what you said to him about backing off the car before you had to protect yourself-that and the police inbound to your location's why he ran.

Miao, Cat

A close friend who is a detective has advised me that she thought he was out to get me too. Possibly a gang initation thing (sp?).

Regardless, it looks like I did the right thing :)

It is scary to think back about what could have happened. When you come that close to a deadly situation it is terrifying later. Then, you don't have time to think--you are going on instinct. You have to rely on your gut and act. No time to weigh the odds. If you spend your life living in a bubble, you won't be prepared to act on a moment's notice... A lot to think about...

flatline45
01-01-2005, 23:10
It doesn't sound like a car jacking to me esp since he wanted you to go to his car. Usually a car jacker will show you the weapon and have you get out. You did better than most men i know would've done. You kept your head, assessed the situation, took control, called the cops (very important) and very very importantly you were willing to use force to protect yourself. Im glad nothign happened to you and that you didn't have to take someones life to preserve your own.

Flatline ^-^-^-^----------

Jaegergirl
01-02-2005, 12:46
wow, what a story! how scary! i'm glad you're ok.

MrMurphy
01-03-2005, 09:44
Just remember if you have to fire, fire at least three..... the first two will shatter the window and not necessarily hit him where you expect.

Assuming he stuck around long enough after he saw the gun.

Good job kitty. I told you about my experience once didn't I?

MrsKitty
01-03-2005, 09:48
Yep, you did. But you didn't tell the other ladies here :)

SouthernGal
01-03-2005, 11:00
Sounds so familiar to me it is eerie.

Were you a total wreck when you got home? I remember I was mess.

MrsKitty
01-03-2005, 16:30
No.

I was still in awe. It didn't really "click" what had happened. I knew something wasn't right the whole time and went with my gut feeling but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

The next morning I was driving up the road and it hit me what had happened. Boy was I pissed. If I could have gotten my hands around that guy's neck...

rlbgfish173
01-04-2005, 06:20
WOW great job, glad things worked out the way they did. I'm going to print this out and give to my wife. I'm also sitting here and wondering what my dumb ***** would have done.:)

SouthernGal
01-04-2005, 07:22
Originally posted by misskitty5077
No.

I was still in awe. It didn't really "click" what had happened. I knew something wasn't right the whole time and went with my gut feeling but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

The next morning I was driving up the road and it hit me what had happened. Boy was I pissed. If I could have gotten my hands around that guy's neck...

Mine experience was a little different. The first guy really wanted in my car and made it obvious. I kept thinking to myself that he was going to go to the cops after I hit him with the car and that really scared me. Now I know how ridiculous that sounds.

Quote from Mel Gibson "I can't be sure, but I got the distinct impression he wanted to do harm to me."

engineer151515
01-04-2005, 07:50
Originally posted by Kolchak
Congratulations on having such terrific instincts and the
ability to keep your cool under pressure. I believe that we
all wish that we would behave the same way. You really proved
yourself on this one.

+1 ;?

Excellent.

I was suprised 911 asked if you had a means to protect yourself and then advised you not to hesitate if necessary to do so!

PC correctness really flies out the window when your butt is on the line!

Congratulations. You may have saved your own life.

MrsKitty
01-04-2005, 10:16
Originally posted by engineer151515
I was suprised 911 asked if you had a means to protect yourself and then advised you not to hesitate if necessary to do so!

I got the distinct impression there had been other complaints about this guy before.

While the officer was taking notes, he looked back to his earlier notes a couple pages up a few times. I felt like the was comparing descriptions as this was while I was describing the guy.

The dispatcher was a woman. As soon as I told her what the guy was doing she asked for what he was wearing. Then she told me to protect myself.

I think he was a well known client ;)

MrsKitty
01-04-2005, 10:18
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Quote from Mel Gibson "I can't be sure, but I got the distinct impression he wanted to do harm to me."

;f ;f ;f

Vic303
01-04-2005, 21:17
MissKitty, I'm wondering if there was ever an arrest & trial of the guy? Hopefully he is not running around loose any more!
--Vic

PilotKitten
01-04-2005, 21:29
Wow MissKitty...you're my new hero! ;? ;W

bachchoy
01-04-2005, 21:39
misskitty

You did everything perfect!

Well done!

That was a carjacking attempt!

More women should be as level headed as you!

Well done!

:)

MrsKitty
01-04-2005, 22:12
Originally posted by Vic303
MissKitty, I'm wondering if there was ever an arrest & trial of the guy? Hopefully he is not running around loose any more!
--Vic

No idea ;g

If he is loose, he best not try jacking me again ;)

pete1953
01-10-2005, 20:05
I'm real happy you were in control of things and you got home safe! I copied your letter and sent it to friends in hopes that they may take your experience to heart and be safe and smart themselves. Unfortunately most of them live in PRNJ (no CCW) and do not have an out of state CCW for when they travel :(
Pete

Reochampa
01-13-2005, 14:11
Very well done, you handled your self very proffesionally and maturly, its more peaple like you, that I want to see w/ccp(concealed carry permitt) thanks for sharing good luck.

Perry F.
01-13-2005, 16:19
Nice job, you could have told them you called th police sooner?

LadyG23
01-19-2005, 22:25
Mine experience was a little different. The first guy really wanted in my car and made it obvious. I kept thinking to myself that he was going to go to the cops after I hit him with the car and that really scared me. Now I know how ridiculous that sounds.

Would you mind posting your experience here or if it's posted already, directing us to it? I think I'd like to read it.

Miss Kitty - thank you for the wake up call! Your actions / reactions were great and actually give others a "plan" if something similar happens to them.

Perry F.
01-20-2005, 05:29
Originally posted by MrMurphy
Just remember if you have to fire, fire at least three..... the first two will shatter the window and not necessarily hit him where you expect.

Assuming he stuck around long enough after he saw the gun.

Good job kitty. I told you about my experience once didn't I?

Thanks for the info on the window thing, never thought I would need to shoot through a window. I did'nt think it would take three rounds.^4

MrsKitty
02-11-2005, 23:25
;d ;d ;d

SouthernGal
02-16-2005, 14:57
Originally posted by LadyG23
Would you mind posting your experience here or if it's posted already, directing us to it? I think I'd like to read it.

Miss Kitty - thank you for the wake up call! Your actions / reactions were great and actually give others a "plan" if something similar happens to them.

It's been a long time since I posted what happened to me.

It was a warm September morning and my dog and I were up early to go to Beale Street for Channel 13's Good Morning Memphis. My dog was to appear in a mock "Running of the Weenies" which would air live so that the station could drum up interest in the event.

We ran our event and spoke to the lady with Channel 13. When it was over, I put the dog on the leash and walked back up Beale. It was about 8:30 in the morning and it was hot already. I had on shorts and a teeshirt.

As I approached the MLG&W building where I'd parked, there were 3 men sitting on the concrete flowerbed barriers in front of the building. I'd already reached into my pocket and unlocked the car doors with the key fob. About the time I snatched the door open, one of the men got up from where he was sitting and approached the car. I shoved the dog in, leash and all.

When I saw him move toward my car, I reached down and locked the car door using the auto-lock. He came over to the driver's side and started beating and pounding on the window. "Hey lady, let down the window, open the door." I told him to get away from the car. He kept on beating on the window. "Open the door!" About the second or third time he beat the window pretty hard, the dog lept into my lap and started barking at him. He didn't back off. He moved his hand down to the door handle and started pulling on it. "Open the door!!"
"Go away!!" I said.

I cranked the car as fast as I could and put it in drive (I was suddenly remembering he had friends with him). Because of where he was standing, amd how I'd parked, my rearview mirror hit him as I screeched off.

Once I was down the street a bit I started thinking about what happened, how quickly things happened, and I was flustered and scared that this guy would go to the cops and claim I ran over him for no reason. There were other people on the street that morning and NONE of them offered me assistance or intervened on my behalf. I also remembered that there are cameras up all over Beale. I remember once I sat in on a talk that Keith Hainey of MPD put on. In that discussion, he told all of us that once someone is in your car with you, you stand a 50% less chance of coming out of the situation alive.

Three months later I signed up with my husband for the concealed carry class. I even relayed my story to the instructor (a former Memphis police officer) who said he wasn't at all surprised.

All I can tell you is that things happen so quickly it's like a flash. One minute you're minding your own business and the next you've got someone up on you with no telling what intention. I have the deepest inner feeling that this man, whoever he was, had every intention of getting into the vehicle with me that morning and that his purpose was to rob, rape or otherwise harm me in some manner.

Now that I carry wherever I can, I'm more aware of my surroundings than I ever was before. It's almost like I've grown a new pair of eyes into the back of my head. Every stoplight I stop at in the middle of the night, I'm looking around, especially for foot traffic. Same way in parking lots and garages.

Be careful out there. I don't know where you live, but Memphis is a very unsafe place and I know that all too well.

okie
02-18-2005, 04:39
Miss Kitty I am so glad you are okie dokie my dear. You did a wonderful job;w

MGomez81
02-18-2005, 09:26
My goodness. Miss Kitty, I'm very glad you're still with us. You made it out ok, which is all that matters.

Just reminds me how necessary having "protection" really is. One handgun is just the minimum, I learned from reading your thread that having another BUG would be even better. And a charged cell phone ready to dial at all times.

Thanks for sharing and the good reminder.

Mr Jody Hudson
02-25-2005, 04:35
Thank you Ladies!

These sort of discussions are excellent mental training exercises for all who read them. Over two thousand people have read this thread.

It is altogether possible that reading this has saved at least one person from rape, robery, kidknapping, car jacking or death!

Thanks again!

BB62
02-25-2005, 17:12
I have just been referred to this thread by a post on another thread.

I told my wife about your story, and repeatedly told her that I seriously doubted I would have been so cool as you, given the circumstances.

You have my earnest admiration.

BB62

sdfhpson
02-28-2005, 17:30

What could they do?

"Hey MK! - Did you get a license plate number? This would have really helped out and given the police something to go on."

MrsKitty
02-28-2005, 18:01
Originally posted by sdfhpson
Well - YOU could have got his license plate number while you were "watching him run the red light" Or pulled ahead far enough while you were talking to the dispatcher and read them through your rearview mirror to her. This would have also put more distance between the two of you.

Explain to me how to pull up further when you are sitting pratically on top of the car who cut me off ;Q

If I could have gotten his license plate numbers I would have. There are no front license plates in this state and I did not see a plate on the back. The officer did not think there was one as he knew exactly who I was describing.

Thank you for being the first person in over 200 (in close to two years) that I talked about this with to accuse me of not doing everything I could.

Oh wait, I could have just stayed in bed that morning and it not have happened at all. Then I couldn't be accused of not having done more ;)

It is people like you who stop people like me from wanting to share with others so they may learn :(

pete1953
02-28-2005, 19:42
Please keep posting Miss Kitty and don't let those who engage their mouth or fingers before nthey put their brains in gear bother you! You did great in a lousey situation and lived to warn others without getting hurt yourself. In keeping your cool you were not a victim!^c

TravisABQ
02-28-2005, 20:04
Hi Misskitty

I see that your original post was quite a while back.

Scary situation.

Besides demanding that he back up,
he kept his HAND in his pocket....
plenty suspicious.

You said he was talking on the phone with someone,
is it possible the person in front of you was in
cahoots with him?

--Travis--

Chopper Dad
02-28-2005, 20:24
Thank you, Miss Kitty, for a very worthwhile thread!

I very much appreciate your post, and have printed a couple of copies for my wife and daughter, both of whom are a few weeks out from their CHP courses. Your story is an eye-opener, and I appreciate you taking the time... and caring enough... to let the rest of us share it. As one of your previous respondents noted, you may very well have saved someone elses life by having posted your story. THANK YOU !

And please don't pay any attention to the fools out there. As PT Barnum noted, there's one born every minute. And unfortunately, they don't all congregate around the circus tent; a few of them troll GT. Fortunately, the vast majority of GTers very much appreciate you taking the time to tell your story. YOU ARE A#1 IN MY BOOK!

Mmalesic
02-28-2005, 20:34
Well - YOU could have got his license plate number while you were "watching him run the red light" Or pulled ahead far enough while you were talking to the dispatcher and read them through your rearview mirror to her. This would have also put more distance between the two of you.

You know, I think we should all realize that's it so much easier to critique someone on what they could or should have done after reviewing the entire situation. Try putting your situation with an adrenaline rush + everything other possibly traumatic circumstance and you see if you can cross every t or dot every i. I doubt most of us would. I think the *most important thing was that she was able and ready to protect herself.

Getting the license plate would have been great yes. I think misskitty5077 did a fantastic job on a spur of the moment.

Good for you :)
-Matt

sdfhpson
02-28-2005, 21:14
I guess the 911 service here's a little different. They stay on the phone with you. They don't just say, "don't be afraid to defend yourself, bye." They'll ask for a discription of the guy (so you don't have to think about it yourself), they'll ask for a discription of the vehicle, including plate (so you don't have to think about it yourself), and they'll get someone to your location (so you don't have to shoot them yourself). Maybe it's just a little different here. Maybe it's better to live in a less crowded part of the nation...

MrsKitty
03-01-2005, 14:53
Originally posted by TravisABQ
Hi Misskitty

I see that your original post was quite a while back.

Scary situation.

Besides demanding that he back up,
he kept his HAND in his pocket....
plenty suspicious.

You said he was talking on the phone with someone,
is it possible the person in front of you was in
cahoots with him?

--Travis--

Hi Travis,

Yeah, I think the other car was in cahoots with him. I will never know, but I think he was...

Ya'll, I am by no means getting discouraged from some "flaming" although it was totally uncalled for. I put this here so that it may help someone and I hope it does. Thanks :)

MGomez81
03-02-2005, 09:08
I guess the 911 service here's a little different. They stay on the phone with you. They don't just say, "don't be afraid to defend yourself, bye." They'll ask for a discription of the guy (so you don't have to think about it yourself), they'll ask for a discription of the vehicle, including plate (so you don't have to think about it yourself), and they'll get someone to your location (so you don't have to shoot them yourself). Maybe it's just a little different here. Maybe it's better to live in a less crowded part of the nation...

Wow, you really ARE an idiot. I guess the educational system is a little different there, too.

And it's spelled description. And we can "think about it" ourselves.

sdfhpson
03-02-2005, 11:17
Originally posted by MGomez81
Wow, you really ARE an idiot. I guess the educational system is a little different there, too.

And it's spelled description. And we can "think about it" ourselves.

http://home.comcast.net/~stormkatt/Portfolio/Logos/GrammarPolice.gif
http://members.aol.com/chaosbs452/spellingpolice.jpg

I think it's really funny that you use my spelling in an attempt to attack me. Who's the idiot?

Women are fighting to be equal. I will give the same criticism regardless of the sex. Just because I'm the only one that didn't go, "wow! great job" because she's a female, you take offense?

All I was doing was comenting on her comment (or criticising), and if she wants to contest what I say, fine. But it's really stupid; you sitting here fighting for her.

"Think about that."

MGomez81
03-02-2005, 11:40
Not just your spelling, your whole train of thought. Idiot. No one is saying "Great Job" because she's a female. We would have said "Great Job" to anyone in that circumstance. Get out of the Women's Issues and back to your GNG. Troll.

sdfhpson
03-02-2005, 12:04
Originally posted by MGomez81
Not just your spelling, your whole train of thought. Idiot. No one is saying "Great Job" because she's a female. We would have said "Great Job" to anyone in that circumstance. Get out of the Women's Issues and back to your GNG. Troll.

It seems as if your vocabulary's quite limited. You sure like to use the word 'idiot.' And then when someone doesn't agree with you after you attack them, you call them a "troll."

You're right (in only one respect), its seems as if I don't belong in the Women's Issues, especially if you're in here. Sure a different crowd over here.

LadyWayan
03-02-2005, 13:27
It seems like someone who is overly sensitive about grammar police came here looking for a fight. fortunately, misskitty was able to think clearly enough to protect herself well. If she didn't have the presence of mind to look at the license plate, I think she can be readily forgiven!! Anyone who doesn't think so, well... ;5

HiddenEyes
03-02-2005, 13:51
It seems as if your vocabulary's quite limited. You sure like to use the word 'idiot.' And then when someone doesn't agree with you after you attack them, you call them a "troll."

You're right (in only one respect), its seems as if I don't belong in the Women's Issues, especially if you're in here. Sure a different crowd over here.

Sir, you got a reaction because of what you said.

Truth is no one ever does a perfect job of anything. But in this case MK came very close. You stepped in and started nitpicking details of the story without any first hand knowledge which is foolish in the extreme.

Your critical comments were not only unwarranted they were also devoid of common sense or practical experience. Your attempt to elevate the status of the dispatchers in your area is perhaps your most pathetic mistake. If MK was dealing with sub par dispatchers then it makes her actions even more commendable. Further, dispatchers are human and they will make mistakes, I have listened to hours upon hours of 911 tapes and no call taker ever follows procedure one hundred percent.

I don't really expect that you will respond positively to my critique of you. Some people can dish it out but then can't take it when their serving comes to them. To be quite honest MGomez picking on your grammar was no different then you picking on MK, I hope you notice how you reacted and learn from it. MK dealt with a very tense situation under the pressure of life and death decisions and you are critical. You make a post in the comfort of your chair under no pressure and mess up on some grammar and spelling and you feel justified in being indignant?

I hope you see the irony of what you are doing.

HiddenEyes:cool:

RussP
03-02-2005, 14:56
...You're right (in only one respect), its seems as if I don't belong in the Women's Issues, especially if you're in here. Sure a different crowd over here.

First, MissKitty, you did good and I know you learned from it. I was around back then, guess I just missed this thread.

I am sending it to "my girls" so they will have the advantage of your experience.

Now, sdfhpson, I look around at those in this thread and don't see many "different" people in the crowd. Just a bunch of caring, supportive, positive folk who really are concerned about MissKitty.

If that is "different" in your mind, wow, you need to get over it.

sdfhpson
03-02-2005, 16:07
Originally posted by HiddenEyes
Sir, you got a reaction because of what you said.

Truth is no one ever does a perfect job of anything. But in this case MK came very close. You stepped in and started nitpicking details of the story without any first hand knowledge which is foolish in the extreme.

Your critical comments were not only unwarranted they were also devoid of common sense or practical experience. Your attempt to elevate the status of the dispatchers in your area is perhaps your most pathetic mistake. If MK was dealing with sub par dispatchers then it makes her actions even more commendable. Further, dispatchers are human and they will make mistakes, I have listened to hours upon hours of 911 tapes and no call taker ever follows procedure one hundred percent.

I don't really expect that you will respond positively to my critique of you. Some people can dish it out but then can't take it when their serving comes to them. To be quite honest MGomez picking on your grammar was no different then you picking on MK, I hope you notice how you reacted and learn from it. MK dealt with a very tense situation under the pressure of life and death decisions and you are critical. You make a post in the comfort of your chair under no pressure and mess up on some grammar and spelling and you feel justified in being indignant?

I hope you see the irony of what you are doing.

I have been trying to agree with some of what you said - but you got me all wrong. I wasn't picking on MK, and nothing I orriginally said should have lead to this. And it wasn't what I said, it was the way I said it, I admit.

But, I think you missed out. So, I'll go back and show you the play by play. First off, MK stated "What could they do?" when talking about the officers who responded to her call. I responded to that. Then she did. (I didn't realize they don't have front plates where she's from.) Fine. (I thought things where done here.)

Then, Mmalesic takes the defensive. - I stated how our dispatch service is here. (Could have been done here, too.)

Then Mmalesic takes the offensive and calls me names. ??? I respond his his comment, and he goes on to call me more names. WTF?!

Oh, then you get on here and explain to me what I did to get the reaction here... ? - The only person that reacted to me and I "reacted to" here is Mmalesic, and now you. I "can take" anybody's comments, as long as they don't start calling me names. - And how do you know that I wasn't in a hurry ("under pressure") when I made a speling mistake? -- And I happen to personally know the dispatch service here; I wasn't elevating them, I was putting hers down (so, yes, it wasn't her fault!). But, as with tunnel vision, you seem to only see things one way. (But that's OK - it's only a "pathetic mistake.")

I tried walking away many times, then someone had to drag me back here and start throwing punches.

Are we done now?

Originally posted by RussP
If that is "different" in your mind, wow, you need to get over it.

I already am. But thanks for your post, though...

proguncali
03-02-2005, 18:25
Wow....this was a good thread...

I am constantly amazed at the fact the people on this interweb thingy are always right and they always have more experience or have always been through worse.

The level of communication on this site is starting to drop far below the levels of retardation.

Here I stand, mouth agape...;Q ;g

G30Jack
03-02-2005, 18:44
Originally posted by proguncali

Here I stand, mouth agape...;Q ;g

I know the feeling...

MrsKitty
03-03-2005, 03:32
I have been trying to agree with some of what you said - but you got me all wrong. I wasn't picking on MK, and nothing I orriginally said should have lead to this. And it wasn't what I said, it was the way I said it, I admit.

I tried walking away many times, then someone had to drag me back here and start throwing punches.

Are we done now?

First of all, you attacked with your fist post. Now you have went back and edited it but your intent is still clear with the rest of your posts in this thread.

Secondly, nobody is draggin you back here. You did not have to reply to anybody's comments. Yet you chose to do so. You are the one that is looking for a fight. Clearly you do not understand that you are the one who is in the wrong here so you are trying to justify your posts by saying he picked on me, he called me out. Grow up.

Third, you have gotten most posts in this thread out of everybody who has posted in it with the except of myself--who was responding to questions. How can you say that you were not attacking when each of your posts is? The evidence speaks for itself.

Fourth, your attitude is condenscending. You do not know these guys here who are talking to you. You are not taking back to them, you are are are the one who is trying to throw punches.

And before you ask, no I did not ask a single one of them to rush to my defense. If you will notice, they came in a couple days after my previous post to you. Several of them do know me and have known me for a long time. With each of them, it is a relationship built on respect. Respect that was not the product of posts such as the ones you have made here, in this thread.

Throughout the history of GT, some of us have shared stories from our lives in the hopes that another person could learn from our experiences, our mistakes and out triumps. In almost each and every one of those threads, some guy comes along and tries to attack at least one of the posters and then attempts to justify what he has done.

And finally, HE, Jack, MGomez, Okie, Rees and Russ, welcome to the wimmen's forum. And thank you my friends ;)

reinbeau
03-03-2005, 03:55
The juvenile attacks are why I've stopped reading GNG. I was hoping this forum would be better, and for the most part it is, but every once in awhile one of the children crawl in here and lower the bar.....;g

I'm sad to see Miss Kitty's thread disintegrate like this.

MrsKitty
03-03-2005, 04:13
Originally posted by reinbeau
The juvenile attacks are why I've stopped reading GNG. I was hoping this forum would be better, and for the most part it is, but every once in awhile one of the children crawl in here and lower the bar.....;g

Not as sad as I am... :(

Eagles1181
03-03-2005, 04:25
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/3359/pirate.jpg

HiddenEyes
03-03-2005, 09:00
Originally posted by reinbeau

Don't feel that way just yet, for the most part you all get along well down here. ;f

HiddenEyes:cool:

MrsKitty
05-25-2005, 23:31
;d

I don't want to loose this :)

JaketheSnakeOO7
05-26-2005, 19:39
I still just have to say this.

Good for you Miss Kitty god bless you and all others that will benefit from just reading this thread. Glad you're safe and still with us.

AggiePhil
05-27-2005, 17:54
Great stories, Kitty and SouthernGal! Thanks so much for posting them.

MrsKitty
08-31-2005, 10:05
Bump again to keep from loosing this.......

sharpstick
08-31-2005, 11:45
Would you have killed him if he got closer to the car?WHat was your tu=rue feeling at the time?were you scared enuff to kill him?

You did very good,I read it to my GF so that she would raise here awarness as well.I think he wanted you not the car.

One last thought.where was your target?it was possible he had on body armor?

Good job,stay safe.

joker1
08-31-2005, 11:50
Don't ever doubt your gut feelings. They're there to keep you alive.
Way to listen to yourself MissK!

MrsKitty
09-01-2005, 08:57
Originally posted by sharpstick
Would you have killed him if he got closer to the car?WHat was your tu=rue feeling at the time?were you scared enuff to kill him?

You did very good,I read it to my GF so that she would raise here awarness as well.I think he wanted you not the car.

One last thought.where was your target?it was possible he had on body armor?

Good job,stay safe.

In NC, you have to shoot to stop the threat. I would have only been trying to stop him, if he got killed in the process.....

My feeling was that he was a major threat to me--but I don't think he wanted to kill me THEN. I don't know how far it would have gone and thank God I didn't find out. I have spoken with several friends about the incident, many have told me that he was not after my car---that he intended to abduct me. If he had tried, damn right I would have done my best to kill him.

Oddly, I wasn't scared at all. In the past, I suffered from panic attacks and sought counseling for them. Part of that included learning to relax from near hysteria to total calm in less than a second. That came in awful handy that day as I was pretty close to panic when he hit me---panic attacks occured after a wreck where I was rear-ended so you can imagine the reaction I had.

I doubt he had on any armor at all. He had on an orange t-shirt. I can still see him in my head crystal clear. He was a very thin fella... No bulk at all to him...

Target would have been what I got clearly in my sights first. However, close as he was, I could have reached out and touched him....

sharpstick
09-01-2005, 10:21
Thanks miss kitty,I just wonderd what processes were going in your head.I know its one hell of a situation to process.Good job and thanks

MrsKitty
09-01-2005, 11:13
Any more questions, just ask and I will try to answer them :)

AggiePhil
09-01-2005, 13:09
Oddly, I wasn't scared at all. In the past, I suffered from panic attacks and sought counseling for them. Part of that included learning to relax from near hysteria to total calm in less than a second. That came in awful handy that day as I was pretty close to panic when he hit me---panic attacks occured after a wreck where I was rear-ended so you can imagine the reaction I had.
Good for you! ^c

4TS&W
09-01-2005, 14:19
HEY! Alex Knight told me there were peep-holes installed in the Wimmin's forum changing rooms..... er... um.. and I was just here to uh.. un-install them! Yeah... thats it! *UN*-install them!

Would have been a good shoot coming, glad you were prepped for it MK. I hope my wife is as prepared should she encounter a similar sitch-a-mikayshun..... ;)

obxprnstar
09-01-2005, 18:06
Ok, but what about the Zombies?

Montana Jack
09-02-2005, 20:16
misskitty5077,

Your original post was made a couple of years ago, but I have not read it until now and the lessons learned from it are still valid.

You handled the situation very well. I am glad that you refused to become a victim.

I printed your story for my 15-year-old daughter to read. I want her to learn from the actions you took, and for her to learn to trust her own instincts. Many others have no doubt benefited from your posting.

Thanks for sharing your story.

MrsKitty
09-25-2005, 22:58
Originally posted by obxprnstar
Ok, but what about the Zombies?

I ran over three....

obxprnstar
09-26-2005, 09:02
I ran over three.... atta girl

MrsKitty
09-26-2005, 21:59
Originally posted by obxprnstar
atta girl

;K

SouthernGal
10-19-2005, 11:06
Bumpin for Gunwolf...

mitchshrader
10-24-2005, 17:00
thank you.

for MissKitty. We owe you one.

the only time i ever had to deal with a serious wierdo up close and personal I got away intact by IMMEDIATE 'gut feeling' and refusal to ignore it. (25 years ago) ..

and scared me bad enough i second guessed myself for months.

you done good. REAL good.

parsing the what ifs includes the what if it was just an idiot who had no particular bad motives (don't sound plausible, i'm pointing at a hypothetical)

and what if it was a serial killer who happened to have an incompetent day.. (mighta been, dunno)..

or more'n likely it was just what you thought it was. and yeah, i'da preferred the net result of him dead, it's convenient, but that's not to say i woulda done it, or that i think you SHOULD have..

you used appropriate response, protected yourself, and survived intact. way i figure it, you get a score of 100% on the smart enough to keep breathing test.

Kudos!

ps. an advantage to crimes prevented is that the aspiring criminal is likely to share the experience with others similarly inclined. people talk, even if the crime succeeds.. no reason to think they don't talk about the ones that failed. you may well have not only saved lives, but saved lives of people who would have otherwise chosen a criminal path ..

you'll never know.

AnimalK
10-28-2005, 11:53
'Nother Bump for MissKitty...

MrsKitty
10-28-2005, 18:14
Originally posted by AnimalK
'Nother Bump for MissKitty...

Welcome to the wimmens' corner ;f

SouthernGal
11-21-2005, 11:57
I'm bumping this and adding a copy of an email I got yesterday (not one of those "chain" emails, I traced this one back two levels to its original sender who works at a local church). Apparently in Memphis they're getting a little more creative at the stuff they try.

I should mention that this incident happened just across the parking lot from where guy #2 tried to get into the car with me.

Read on:

"I just wanted to let you all know of something that happened to me
Today in the Target parking lot. be aware of this and let everyone you
know aware so this does not happen to anyone else. I was at Target today to return something which only took a couple of minutes. when I pulled into the parking lot a man in a car pulled in a couple spaces down from me. He started to go into the store about the same time as I did, then turned back around and went back to his car. I went into Target returned my items and walked back out to get into my car. As I walked out he was walking away from my car carrying a small gas can. I noticed there was fluid on the side of my car and a puddle beside it. got into my car not sure of what happened, wrote down his license plate # and left. He followed me out of the parking lot and onto 40 I was only able to drive about a half a mile and my car started Acting funny. It died on me as I was driving and I was able to pull into an area business along the highway. He continued to drive by the business watching me. I called the police who came and took a report and said he had poured sugar water into my gas tank which is what made my car stall. It was a great way to get a woman by herself to be stranded on the streets. Luckily for me I was able to stop where there were People around. The police know where the car came from and are working on this now. Not sure what will happen but my car is now in the shop not running, but it could have been much worse for me. Just be aware that this is happening and always be aware of your surroundings. It certainly scared me and I am grateful that nothing else happened."

Bruce Foreman
11-21-2005, 23:59
Miss Kitty:

The next to the last class I taught was all women (I limit class size to 3) and I wish I had read your description of what you went through beforehand so I could have passed it on to those ladies.

I'd like to print out your experience and include it as a handout to each of my students if you don't mind, I think it is perfect to raise their awareness and for them to share with other family members.

I also plan on mailing a copy to each of the women I have a record of having trained.

If you would rather I not, let me know.

Bruce Foreman
Defensive Handgun Instructor

TechGal
11-22-2005, 00:09
I'm bumping this and adding a copy of an email I got yesterday (not one of those "chain" emails, I traced this one back two levels to its original sender who works at a local church). Apparently in Memphis they're getting a little more creative at the stuff they try.

I should mention that this incident happened just across the parking lot from where guy #2 tried to get into the car with me.

Read on:

"I just wanted to let you all know of something that happened to me
Today in the Target parking lot. be aware of this and let everyone you
know aware so this does not happen to anyone else. I was at Target today to return something which only took a couple of minutes. when I pulled into the parking lot a man in a car pulled in a couple spaces down from me. He started to go into the store about the same time as I did, then turned back around and went back to his car. I went into Target returned my items and walked back out to get into my car. As I walked out he was walking away from my car carrying a small gas can. I noticed there was fluid on the side of my car and a puddle beside it. got into my car not sure of what happened, wrote down his license plate # and left. He followed me out of the parking lot and onto 40 I was only able to drive about a half a mile and my car started Acting funny. It died on me as I was driving and I was able to pull into an area business along the highway. He continued to drive by the business watching me. I called the police who came and took a report and said he had poured sugar water into my gas tank which is what made my car stall. It was a great way to get a woman by herself to be stranded on the streets. Luckily for me I was able to stop where there were People around. The police know where the car came from and are working on this now. Not sure what will happen but my car is now in the shop not running, but it could have been much worse for me. Just be aware that this is happening and always be aware of your surroundings. It certainly scared me and I am grateful that nothing else happened."

;P

I am so happy I have a locking gas cap already, or I would be getting one first thing in the morning.

SouthernGal
11-22-2005, 13:01
Originally posted by TechGal
;P

I am so happy I have a locking gas cap already, or I would be getting one first thing in the morning.

Obviously some of the new cars don't have locking gas caps. The girl who forwarded the email to me says hers doesn't have one and that she'd be purchasing one after reading the email.

Today the stats came out on crime rates (metro areas) and Detroit was #1, New Orleans was #2 and Memphis was #3. I'm not surprised at all.

Blitzer
11-22-2005, 13:48
Great work! ^c

I am now 50.

At the time I was 25 and going home around 11:00PM. I am a guy, and was driving through a little town that rolls up the streets after 9:00PM. This was the pre-pocket Cell phone era.

A Ford mini-van runs up to my bumper at a traffic light, and just taps my car. Not enough to damage it. It is very dark and I can only see the windshield of the van not the driver, the headlights were glaring in my read window. I moved ten feet forward and stop, the other vech moves up to nearly touch my car! I keep getting this little voice repeating, "Stay in the car!" We sat there for what seamed like forever and I kept resisting the desire to run the light and play Lemans derby with the asshat. I kept my cool and drove off as soon as the light changed; the other driver made a quick left and sped off fast.

It can happen to anyone.

Keep that GLOCK close! ;P

TechGal
11-22-2005, 14:23
Obviously some of the new cars don't have locking gas caps. The girl who forwarded the email to me says hers doesn't have one and that she'd be purchasing one after reading the email.

Today the stats came out on crime rates (metro areas) and Detroit was #1, New Orleans was #2 and Memphis was #3. I'm not surprised at all.

Mine didn't have it when I got it, but I got a cap right away.

MrsKitty
11-23-2005, 00:32
Originally posted by Bruce Foreman
Miss Kitty:

The next to the last class I taught was all women (I limit class size to 3) and I wish I had read your description of what you went through beforehand so I could have passed it on to those ladies.

I'd like to print out your experience and include it as a handout to each of my students if you don't mind, I think it is perfect to raise their awareness and for them to share with other family members.

I also plan on mailing a copy to each of the women I have a record of having trained.

If you would rather I not, let me know.

Bruce Foreman
Defensive Handgun Instructor

Please do :)

I posted it to maybe help somebody :)

DevilGirl
11-23-2005, 15:18
I've gone through all 5 pages and read every reply/post and I just have to say thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences. I would like to say that I am pretty good about being aware of my surroundings and have pepper spray attached to my keys... but these days one cannot afford to let their guard down... esp women walking alone in the dark.

I don't carry yet because I am waiting on a good friend of ours to help me with getting aquainted with my 19 (hurdles I have to get over first...) But we'll see.

Thank you and thank goodness all of you that have had confrontations are safe!

~D.

MrsKitty
01-27-2006, 21:19
Been two months, so bump :)

vote Republican
01-28-2006, 08:06
Originally posted by DevilGirl

I don't carry yet because I am waiting on a good friend of ours to help me with getting aquainted with my 19 (hurdles I have to get over first...) But we'll see.

~D.
Is there an NRA instructor in your area, or maybe a gun range that teaches classes? Sometimes they do women's defensive classes or similar.

LadyG23
01-29-2006, 16:31
Miss Kitty,

Even though I read and commented almost a year ago, I just read this post again, and it was a good reminder. I just finished my nc ccw, which made me aware of several things that I hadn't thought of, but your story was one that I should keep in my mind - I only hope that I can remain as calm as you did!

So again, thanks!

AnimalK
02-05-2006, 10:41
Bump to top...

Mrs. VR
02-08-2006, 19:13
FYI, MK asked me to sticky this, but I was gonna PM her this morning to ask if she wanted me too, anyway. ;a

MrsKitty
02-08-2006, 19:18
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
FYI, MK asked me to sticky this, but I was gonna PM her this morning to ask if she wanted me too, anyway. ;a

~hg ~hg ~hg

Mrs. VR
02-08-2006, 19:19
~hg ~hg ~hg ~ks ;f

MrsKitty
02-09-2006, 11:21
;J

EL COLONEL
02-10-2006, 11:07
You did great. Some people just don't understand that no means no!:)

RussP
02-11-2006, 11:15
Well, glad this timeless post is now a sticky.

:cool: :cool:

Mrs. VR
02-11-2006, 11:17
Originally posted by RussP
Well, glad this timeless post is now a sticky.

:cool: :cool: me too ;a

alphacat
02-11-2006, 12:35
Wow! You done good...

^6

Please tell your story to anyone that will listen it is a lesson learned.

MrsKitty
02-13-2006, 14:06
Thanks, I try :)

And gorgeous avatar ;)

jm_usmc
02-13-2006, 21:24
MK,

I just now saw this thread. Scary stuff, there. I'm glad you were able to take care of yourself. Good job.

PoweredByGlock
03-14-2006, 23:27
Great story - I made the wife read it too.

Thanks to the California gun-nazis I can't carry my G17, but I sure could have used it when I was carjacked at gunpoint 5 years ago...

Similar situation, "bumped" from the rear while at a red light. Just as a previous poster said, they wanted the CAR and passenger came out with gun drawn. Ran up to my passenger window and screamed "GET THE F--K OUTTA THE CAR". Needless to say I took the bus for the next few days.

I went down to the local PD and asked to apply for a CCW permit - they just laughed at me.

Bluestone
03-30-2006, 17:35
Originally posted by Tazz10m
You did PERFECT Miss Kitty!

Keep that gun in your RIGHT hand, hidden by your leg, (so you are not "brandishing" it) and the moment you START seeing that jackarse take his hand out of his pocket, pull your gun, point, determine the actual threat, and "handle it" as needed. Be ready to shoot over your left shoulder towards the rear as it is likely that is where a threat will retreat to get a shot at you without getting hit himself. Be ready to hit the gas. Run him over if you have to. In my opinion, we worry too much about brandishing. If someone comes up to my car under such circumstances, and puts me on alert for some reason, insists I come out, won't hear my commands to back away, the gun is coming out. My guess is he didn't have a gun in his pocket, or he would have shown it to get you out. My guess, a stun gun, asp, sap, spray or something he would have used up close, given the chance, perhaps to kidnap you. If he wanted a car, carjacking with a gun is easy enough to do.

Munchkinglocker
04-10-2006, 02:59
thanks MK, this is my first time to the site and i'm hooked for life now.

i work nights (11p-7a) at a holiday inn about 30min. from my house, and this is a real eye opener!

i just hope if i get in any similar situation that i have enough wits about me to act sensibly like you did!

nickusa13
04-18-2006, 22:01
Wow!!! You did great!! I had an incident with road rage, and I had the kids in the car!! This woman and her friends decide to try to play a game. She first started to tailgate me and I moved over to let her pass, she than got in front of me and slammed on her breaks. She put me in a position to go around her. Than the light in front of me turned red, I thought it was safe because she backed off, I was wrong she got out of her car and started walking up to my car. Luckily the light turned green, so I went. Than she followed me, waving her hands and screaming out the window. I called the police, when she saw me on the phone, she did a u-turn and drove off. I am thankful I didn't need to use my 38. I'm not sure the effect it would've had on the kids. It was sure nice knowing I had it and knowing she could've had a much worse day.;)

lastsonofgilead
05-02-2006, 12:21
Kitty.

I copied your story and emailed it to my girlfriend. She is one of those 'trusting' types that all too often winds up as a victim.

I think your story will help her be more careful and keep herself safe.

So, THANK YOU very much for posting your story, hopefully it will help her understand that we all need to be careful.

Glad you handled yourself so well.

Chris.

Nephilim
05-11-2006, 21:53
I'm replying to this a little late in the thread... but just wanted to say that you did a great job :)

Your post actually reminded me of when an exgirlfriend of mine almost got car jacked/killed by a crazy bull dyke. She got rear ended/bumped by a large masculine woman driving a pickup truck (the girlfriend was driving a miata convertible.) The lady in the truck came out with a revolver blazing, lit the whole intersection up. Amazingly didn't hit my ex or her car and my ex kept her head together and managed to pull off some serious defensive driving to get out of there.

We live in a crazy world. Joy is definately getting her ccw after reading this :)

bcAddy
07-19-2006, 10:13
MK,
Thanks so much for sharing. I immediately thought to copy this and share it with my friendly, trusting wife (I do love her for that, and she takes many cautions, and I want her to be more aware). When I read NC in one of your responses I thought I had better share this quick since we are probably in the same neighborhood. Thanks again and maybe this will convince her to let me get her her own gun.

katz_enge
07-31-2006, 14:49
+1 for intuition! I hope to never have an experience like that, mainly because there is no such thing as a ccw, or open carry up in Canada anyway. Your experience will have me thinking twice about how I will interact if an 'accident' ever occurs again.

Laurie Hughes
08-11-2006, 16:54
I'm new to this forum too but I'm so glad I found this thread. I intend to show it to anyone who will read it. You trod the dangerous path with excellent skill... a perfect 10. I've spent the last several years trying to convince other women that being slaughtered for sport by scumbags is not destiny and that superman is not going to swoop down and save them. I've been menaced twice in my life, the first time was a purse snatcher at a wally world. The second time I surprised 2 punk car thieves at a lake boat ramp. I used to depend on martial arts skills but age finally convinced me to get a permit and carry my G-19 or G-36. So far, no further incidents but I hope I will be as cool and calm as you were. You know of course the car in front was in on this too. That's who scumbag #2 was on the phone with. You were the target and I shudder to think.... Godspeed to all.

keith56
08-11-2006, 17:03
Originally posted by EL COLONEL
You did great. Some people just don't understand that no means no!:)
+1000
This is the exact reason my wife carries a G29 with her 24/7. Glad it turned out for the best :)

Cop Pop
08-11-2006, 20:38
Are you sure you haven't had defensive training? That was a textbook response to a dangerous situation that had the potential to escalate to violence very quickly. You kept your cool and acted reasonably under the circumstances. My only constructive criticism is that you should have kept an open line with the 911 operator, and tried to transmit a description of the person (and his vehicle and license plate number,if possible)to the police. Nevertheless, you survived and that's the bottom line.

MrsKitty
08-12-2006, 07:57
Originally posted by Cop Pop
Are you sure you haven't had defensive training? That was a textbook response to a dangerous situation that had the potential to escalate to violence very quickly. You kept your cool and acted reasonably under the circumstances. My only constructive criticism is that you should have kept an open line with the 911 operator, and tried to transmit a description of the person (and his vehicle and license plate number,if possible)to the police. Nevertheless, you survived and that's the bottom line.

I kept an open line with 911 when I called the second time. The first operator was male and blew me off but at that time, I was simply reporting an accident. The second call I got a female who immediately went on full alert. She advised me that she would be on the line and to not worry about occupying my hand with the phone and to defend myself as necessary. I did give a description the with second call of everything but the plates.

Let's see... I needed a credit one semester so I took self-defense in college. I have three AAS degrees in variations of criminal justice, a BS in cjc and an additional 18 grad hours in cjc. But no true defensive training.

Everybody who knows me thinks I am paranoid because I am so observant of my surroundings. I have always been overly observant tho. It is just my nature. :supergrin:

mr00jimbo
12-12-2006, 12:19
You did the right thing! It's awsome that your right to carry a firearm could have quite possibly saved you. I wish in Canada we could have the same right to do so, but sadly even a knife concealed is illegal. :upeyes:

When I was way too young, like 6, my mom was rear ended. She got out, and the guy who got out was with a couple of other people. They physically threatened her to say she was at fault. When she did not comply, they called some more guys to come. :upeyes:

I'm sure those ****s must have felt proud of themselves, trying to intimidate a hard-working mother of two who was going to the money machine at night to take out some cash and buy her kids dinner. :upeyes:

In Canada, sadly, you cannot carry pepper spray (unless you lie and say its for dog protection) or a knife, or a tazer, or a gun. Criminals can, and they do. And people who are unarmed, physically intimidate others with either sheer size or "safety in numbers" where they will come with a pack of people and 10 on 1...never ends good.

In Canada, the "crimeless country" (i'm so sure) self-defense seems to be illegal.

I took my mom out shooting and she loves it, was understandably shaken up but agrees that the laws about self-defense are absurd.

AZ DBLTRBL
01-22-2007, 11:21
misskitty, I am so glad you are alive to tell this story to all of us! I just found this thread, and after reading your story, I KNOW that your quick thinking, and listening to your gut instincts saved your very life. I have printed this for my daughter as well,,,,

This is a happy ending story only because you listened and trusted your instincts and reacted with intelligence and quick thinking.....Thank God we will never know what they had planned for you that day, but it was NOT GOOD! Thanks so much for sharing this....it may very well save someone's life in the future:thumbsup:

billdo82
05-26-2007, 00:01
where you in mexico? it sounds like a kidnapping... good job. keep safe.

sdsnet
05-26-2007, 00:58
Miss Kitty, thank you for posting this. I forwarded a copy of your story to my wife and plan to discuss it with her in detail. You really handled things well.

Thank you.

DESERTDUDE
06-04-2007, 15:34
Young lady, you are an example for all to follow...Excellent job...Because of how you handled yourself..Your here to tell the story. I personally would have taken the keys....and my G30 and gotten out putting the vehicle between myself and the *other*. I was in LE you dont want to get caught in the Coffn with wheels...VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU......:))

MrsKitty
06-04-2007, 17:57
Thank you.

I really need to rewrite this. I read it again the other day and was mortified at my grammar :shocked:

I am glad people are still learning from it! That is why I posted it :wavey:

donquixote1955
06-05-2007, 11:50
Misskitty,
I hope you don't mind my saying this as I haven't read all the responses to your incident but...Gotta love a woman who carries a gun and knows how to use it! That individual should have gone to church or whatever rock he crawled out from under and thank the diety of his choice that he survived that encounter. One thing I might have done that I didn't notice if you did or not is if you used your mirrors to check the passenger side of his vehicle to see if he might have had a friend with him to flank you. Of course if that happened I'm thinking that was time to simply drive away. Otherwise, you done real good!

MrsKitty
06-05-2007, 16:53
Yeah, I am always scanning all my mirrors! I didn't mention it but it is a in-the-driver's-seat-habit for me.

I hope I never find myself in a similar position again. Knowing what kind of decision and action I was going to have to take in that spot is a very unnerving feeling. I am ready and willing to defend myself but at the same time I do not want to be backed into that corner...

As for loving women with guns, there are a few of us around here :supergrin: :hearts: :supergrin:

Ballyhoo
09-04-2007, 11:22
Awesome!! I can only hope that I would be that quick-thinking. I was just thinking how thankful I am that my firearms instructor taught me how to shoot out of my car (and through glass in necessary).
:yourock:

adamg01
09-27-2007, 16:08
Originally posted by Cat91
Well done.

Miao, Cat

When I read the story I was thinking the same thing. I don't think they were after her car either. They were trying to get you close to their car. I think she saved her life and not her car.

AshWilliams
10-13-2007, 23:09

annielulu
10-14-2007, 01:13
Miss Kitty:

You are the cats meow!!!!

D-GLOCK17
10-30-2007, 00:03
Yes you kept your wits. I don't know if I could have remained that cool and calm. It could have been a carjacking but I suspect a robbery and or worse...You are a female alone and they saw it as an opportunity. Glad you are safe. Kind of sounds like the scene off of Stallone's COBRA movie.

Paul7
02-16-2008, 07:43
:popcorn:

mithuth
02-22-2008, 02:44
OMG, that was you? See, I was driving along in the rain and i hit this car and the woman tried to murder me, so I ran.... :tongueout: no, I'm just kidding. (little humor to lighten the mood...)

Thank you for not being a victim!

I am going to show this story to my wife in the morning. I've been trying to explain to her the importance of carrying a firearm and knowing how to recognize when to use it. She's not exactly anti-gun, but she's not very willing to come learn either.

If this story helps get her to the range with me one day, I'll owe ya big time!

MrsKitty
02-22-2008, 11:56
OMG, that was you? See, I was driving along in the rain and i hit this car and the woman tried to murder me, so I ran.... :tongueout: no, I'm just kidding. (little humor to lighten the mood...)

Thank you for not being a victim!

I am going to show this story to my wife in the morning. I've been trying to explain to her the importance of carrying a firearm and knowing how to recognize when to use it. She's not exactly anti-gun, but she's not very willing to come learn either.

If this story helps get her to the range with me one day, I'll owe ya big time!

Dude, you really gotta work on your pick ups! :tongueout:

If it works for her, just make sure she passes it on. :)

Lone_Wolfe
03-15-2008, 21:41
Miss Kitty, I've never posted in this thread although I've read this story many times. Fist of all I'm glad you weren't hurt or worse. You handled the situation perfectly in my opinion. I could take a lesson...

I've also pointed other people that need more awareness to your thread and I think it's help in a couple of cases.

Thank you for posting this and stay safe!

Averon
03-30-2008, 13:13
This is the first time I've read your story.
I think you did a great job.

Swattie's Wife
05-22-2008, 19:47
Always listen to your gut! It will never steer you wrong. Good job in thinking fast!

petalpusher
06-02-2008, 19:23
He takes a few steps back and calls somebody. I crack the back window enough I can hear him agitatedly telling them "No,no, I can't do that." Then, "No, that won't work." And finally, "No, I don't think she will do that" followed by "I don't think I can" while he is dancing around. Well, while he is on the phone I call back to 911 and tell them that he keeps trying to get me out of the car. The female dispacther immediately tells me not to get out (like I would!!) no matter what and to run if I need to. She asks if I have a way to defend myself. I tell her that I do have a permit and I already have the gun out. She tells me to not to hesitate to protect myself.

I'm haappy the dispatcher told you don't hesitate to protect yourself! that's awesome!

G2145
07-10-2008, 23:39

Am I jumping to conclusions? Do you all think that he was going to carjack me? Did I handle things right? What would you have done differently?...

Just three words: "You Done Good!" :yourock:Great job of evaluating and handling a bad situation. Perps use the old "accident" trick quite often to get people to jump out of their car unprepared. You were obviously (from your detailed description of the event) in a bad situation.
It's similar to perps doing the home invasion thing: When you hear someone beating down your door/window, what do you do; (1) jump out of bed and go see what the ruckus is while yelling at the noisemaker, or, (2) Grab your Glock-21 (or whatever), cycle a round into the chamber (if one isn't already there), get your family barricaded, dial 9-1-1, and engage the perp with hot lead if necessary? Answer number two of course. You attended to your security first (Glock and door locks) and engaged the perp rather politely. I won't tell you what my wife would have told him, there are rules against words not acceptable in polite company. :supergrin: Good Job.

SCmasterblaster
10-03-2008, 23:23
My sincerest congrats go out to you for being ready for those animals.

txgunguy
10-07-2008, 01:10
Awesome. Always trust your instinct and that little voice. You know when someone's intentions aren't good.

wjv
10-07-2008, 14:47
What scares me is that 70% of the time, my wife has one or both of our young daughters in the car with her. Someone carjacks her, how does she get our daughters out! Lately she's been driving the 2500 series Suburban a lot more. 6,000 lbs of rolling steel! Not as prime of a target for the car jackers.

I have to agree with a previous poster that it almost sounds like he/they were more interested in YOU, than the car. That's a scarier thought!! Glad you were armed and reacted appropriately!

I have had two occasions where I had to "display" a firearm to prevent becoming a victim. At the time it all happens very fast. In both cases I did a lot of things right, and a couple of things wrong. But I learned from my mistakes. People who whine that you didn't do everything perfectly probably haven't been in a similar situation. You do what you think is right, and if you get to go home unharmed, all is good!

adroc
10-07-2008, 14:49
Great alertness and instinct. You did what you are suppose to do. Cheers.

Misty02
10-12-2008, 10:41
I just found this post. Thank you so much for sharing what happened to you! I believe you did beautifully and I sure hope that if faced with the same situation I do as well. From what I have read in your story and what Iíve heard happened in other car-jacking I think you saved yourself from more than just a car-jacking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>, have never been a victim of a car-jacking myself but there was a lady in the office that was. She was driving with the driverís window down since she was smoking at the time. A man walked up to her door, she didnít notice him until he was standing right by her side, he punched her on the face, unlocked and opened the car door and pulled her out. She received several additional blows while struggling with the guy to keep him from opening her door. He finally got her out of the car and drove off. Luckily he was after the car and not her. Believe it or not, this all happened during the day, there is no such thing as low traffic hours in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. There were plenty of witnesses all around but no one came out to help her and no one stayed around to give any details to the police when they arrived either.<o:p></o:p>
We have even heard of cases where someone in front backs up so that it appears you hit them from behind. In spite everyone being able to tell it is a set up many people, instinctively, get out of their vehicle to see what damage was done. Everyone knows the vehicle in the back will be charged with the accident and criminals bank on our fears to get us out of the car. When the word on those got out and people stopped getting out of their cars in those situations, they employed the aid of a second vehicle behind the victim to sandwich them in between the two cars so they couldnít maneuver out to safety.<o:p></o:p>
We all learn from the experiences of others. From what happened to the lady in our office I learned to not drive with the window down. I am aware that the criminal only has to break the window to place me at the same disadvantage, but it will take one additional step on his part. From what happened to you I learned how to handle the situation while armed. All these stories have a way of staying in our subconscious and prepare us for what can happen. <o:p></o:p>
These things have a tendency to happen extremely fast and I commend anyone that can keep a clear head through it all to do as well as you did. <o:p></o:p>
I have one question thoughÖ. Iím glad you didnít have to because that would have been another ordeal on itself, but how close did you feel to actually pulling the trigger? I can only wonder (and hope I never have to find out) how long I can stand a threat on my life before I do. <o:p></o:p>
To any LEO reading this thread Ė what kind of trouble would one face if the gun is made visible to that other person after telling them more than once to back off from the car? Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that we are not able to drive off at the moment because we are either sandwiched in between two cars or our vehicle isnít operational. Yes, I do know that if it is ever shown I am to be the one to let 911 know that I feared for my life and took my gun out. Just wondering what the consequences thereafter would be. Obviously, this is assuming the other person runs out after seeing the gun and I donít have to use it. <o:p></o:p>

MrsKitty
10-12-2008, 13:32
Hi Misty. I've not seen you posting before. :wavey:

I made the decision to shoot when I got the gun. Thank God I didn't have to but if he had even tried to get thru my window, or a second person come up, I would have started shooting. That glass was the line I had just drawn in the sand...

It all seemed like slow motion.

I was amazed when I checked my phone afterwards and noted how long the 911 calls were and how close together they were. It seemed like hours when it happened.

Some day I am going to get around to rewriting this and editing it. It is very rough but when I wrote it I was more concerned with getting it down and out than it being purdy. It has more than served it's purpose as far as my intentions were then. :)

Misty02
10-12-2008, 13:58
Hi Misty. I've not seen you posting before. :wavey:

I made the decision to shoot when I got the gun. Thank God I didn't have to but if he had even tried to get thru my window, or a second person come up, I would have started shooting. That glass was the line I had just drawn in the sand...

It all seemed like slow motion.

I was amazed when I checked my phone afterwards and noted how long the 911 calls were and how close together they were. It seemed like hours when it happened.

Some day I am going to get around to rewriting this and editing it. It is very rough but when I wrote it I was more concerned with getting it down and out than it being purdy. It has more than served it's purpose as far as my intentions were then. :)

Funny you mention that, it is exactly what I have heard from people that have been faced with life-threatening experiences. It all went down in a matter of minutes yet those minutes seemed to last forever.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
In my opinion, mental conditioning is as important as practicing and knowing how to use your weapon well. Stories like yours and that of others I read in the thread do help in forming a frame a mind before-hand; I can only hope that I will react the same way. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I am kind of new to the forum and even newer to gun ownership, got my first (and only so far) on 9/9/08. Calling myself a newbie would be an understatement. I have not even carried outside the house or car yet. The main reason I am carrying while at home all the time is to get everyone here used to the idea, we are not totally there but continue to work on it. :) Will be able to carry outside once I receive my CWL, sent the application in on 8/22/08, they cashed my check on 9/9/08 (oddly, the same day I actually bought the gun) and I am tapping my fingers here waiting.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the welcome!:wavey:<o:p></o:p>

Rager
10-12-2008, 15:05
To any LEO reading this thread Ė what kind of trouble would one face if the gun is made visible to that other person after telling them more than once to back off from the car? Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that we are not able to drive off at the moment because we are either sandwiched in between two cars or our vehicle isnít operational. Yes, I do know that if it is ever shown I am to be the one to let 911 know that I feared for my life and took my gun out. Just wondering what the consequences thereafter would be. Obviously, this is assuming the other person runs out after seeing the gun and I donít have to use it. <o:p></o:p>
I'm not an LEO. You are going to carry to stop a perpetrator. Not scare them.

Misty02
10-12-2008, 18:16

The day I pull out a gun on another person it will be because my life or that of a loved one is in danger. It will also be pulled with the intent to use it. Having said that, if the person runs away at the sight of the gun, I donít believe I can shoot them in the back as they ran away. They would not be posing a threat to my life if they are running away from me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Clyde in CO
10-12-2008, 20:59
I've heard stories where someone pulls a gun on an attacker and the perp just smiles and says "like I've never had a gun pointed at me before" or "you don't have the guts"

I'd post what I'd do in that situation, but knowing my luck it'll happen tomorrow... so y'all can just use your imagination.

Dean
10-13-2008, 04:13
Am I jumping to conclusions? Do you all think that he was going to carjack me? Did I handle things right? What would you have done differently?
Thanks for you input.

He wasn't going to carjack you. That was more likely an abduction attempt. He was going to kidnap you, and worse. You might have driven to the nearest police station - that's the only thing you could have done better. Good work and congratulations on surviving an encounter with a dangerous criminal.

Did you get the plate? Hit and run is a good collar. The police will pursue that.
:drillsgt:

MrsKitty
10-13-2008, 20:29
No, I didn't get the plate. Actually, I don't think they had one. I would have gotten it but I don't remember even seeing one.

I have been told by several that it was probably more than a car jacking.

Shadow Heart
10-13-2008, 22:22

if showing the gun stops the actions, without using deadly force, hey so be it. all signs pointed to disaster and she did the right thing, she also got informed by the dispatcher to protect herself, so in the unlikley even he pressed charges on her for him seeing the gun, the 911 tape would get her off the hook as she was instructed to do so.

Rager
10-14-2008, 02:30
if showing the gun stops the actions, without using deadly force, hey so be it. all signs pointed to disaster and she did the right thing, she also got informed by the dispatcher to protect herself, so in the unlikely even he pressed charges on her for him seeing the gun, the 911 tape would get her off the hook as she was instructed to do so.Miss Kitty did not reveal the gun.

In Misty's post, Misty is suggesting that if she were in the same situation what if she revealed the gun, would that be a no-no? I'm saying that you shouldn't even consider that sort of thinking. It's a fine line but it's not good thinking.

April
10-14-2008, 07:50

The day I pull out a gun on another person it will be because my life or that of a loved one is in danger. It will also be pulled with the intent to use it. Having said that, if the person runs away at the sight of the gun, I donít believe I can shoot them in the back as they ran away. They would not be posing a threat to my life if they are running away from me.

Ragner has the right idea on this. If a situation ever escalates to the point that you feel in fear for your life or the lives of the innocents in your care, there shouldn't be time for the attacker to run away. Draw and fire should be a continuous movement. Once a would-be attacker has the time to identify a weapon and make a choice about what to do about it, he's also had the time to take it away from you.

The commitment to draw should also be the commitment to fire. If it isn't, it's time to consider more training and perhaps reconsider your intent in carrying a firearm.

Doc Blase
10-18-2008, 18:02
A couple of reactions to recent posts in this thread:

According to many eyewitness accounts and my Patrol procedures instructor, "You haven't got the guts" is one of the most popular last things people have said. The other was, "Go ahead and shoot me."

I agree completely with your choice to have your weapon in your hand but hidden. This is the ultimate state of readiness without putting you at the disadvantage of allowing your opponent to realize how ready you are.

The only time the assailant would get an opportunity to see the weapon would be when it's coming up to shoot, not to intimidate or threaten.

Police sometimes use their weapons differently than civilians, occasionally using the drawn pistol to enforce compliance. I wouldn't advise that tactic for civilian use unless the civilian is trained and equipped to use the escalating force continuum and know with certainty they can follow through with lethal force if the attack escalates.

Just ask "what will happen if I don't shoot" and if the answer is you are in fear for your life or someone else's being taken, then shooting is probably justified.

Misty02
10-19-2008, 01:28
Ragner has the right idea on this. If a situation ever escalates to the point that you feel in fear for your life or the lives of the innocents in your care, there shouldn't be time for the attacker to run away. Draw and fire should be a continuous movement. Once a would-be attacker has the time to identify a weapon and make a choice about what to do about it, he's also had the time to take it away from you.

The commitment to draw should also be the commitment to fire. If it isn't, it's time to consider more training and perhaps reconsider your intent in carrying a firearm.

Thank you for the explanation, FF Wife. Iíve been a gun owner for about a month now and currently waiting for my CWL. You have clearly illustrated how it could be deadly to reveal a gun for longer than the second it would take to bring up and shoot. I do have to become faster at drawing though. :)

nestrapez
10-19-2008, 23:33
paranoid..

FrogWithAGlock
11-20-2008, 11:13
THANK YOU for posting this, Miss Kitty. I need to print it out, and email it to my extremely liberal, anti-gun sisters, who think "it'll never happen to me, and if it does, the cops can protect me".

WINGS
12-30-2008, 12:32
Great thread. I read all of the posts and sdfhpson in a new addition to my 'ignore' list. :faint:
I passed this thread on to some women on my email list. Have a safe and Happy New Year, MK

narine2541
12-30-2008, 19:59
car jacked, hell! Miss Kitty, you may have just saved your life! A women should never get out of the car if hit like you were from behind. It's an old trick and car jacking is the least harm he could have done you.

narine2541
12-30-2008, 20:04
paranoid..

What if she were your wife, girlfriend, or daughter? Being unaware of your situation is the first step in having a crime perpetrated on you. If she were not aware, she would be oblivious. Better paranoid than oblivious!

carabidus
01-21-2009, 11:30
Now that was smooth handling of a serious situation! I will bet my last dollar that guy was going to jack your car AND possibly you as well. Makes me think about what I will do if a similar situation were to happen to me. Thank you for posting this!

Shoeless
03-29-2009, 15:27
MAJOR MAJOR KUDOS to both MissKitty and SouthernGal!!!!

Shoeless, who has missed all her GT peeps!

dugo
05-06-2009, 08:38
Great, great thread, Miss Kitty! You did fine! If you're still checking in, thank you much for the gift of your experience. Thanks to Southern Lady too, and all the good posts here. Gotta get my wife to read this. Wish I had seen it before.

One thing about people saying you're paranoid: Don't want to sound too "new-age" but I think we are ideally talking about expanded awareness and real intuitive connection with the environment we are in. It might start with a desire to stay safe, but we are not talking about paranoia.

Most of us walk around slightly "asleep" a lot of the time. I have asked friends how much they think some people miss in life by failing to notice the potentials that are always unfolding in the world around them. Usually shuts them up while they consider it.

But then, my brother always says: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you." He's the smart one in the family.

Blitzer
05-06-2009, 12:41
Bravo lady kitty you did good!

:supergrin: :pepper: :perfect10: :wave: :yourock:

We could have used one less defective gene in the resource pool, too bad he ran away like the punk coward he is!

Blitzer
05-06-2009, 12:42
paranoid..

You are a real wonder. :whistling: :upeyes: :dunno:

MrsKitty
06-13-2009, 18:02
Great, great thread, Miss Kitty! You did fine! If you're still checking in, thank you much for the gift of your experience. Thanks to Southern Lady too, and all the good posts here. Gotta get my wife to read this. Wish I had seen it before.

I still check in from time to time.

Pass it on! I posted it hoping it might help somebody someday.

jdavionic
06-13-2009, 18:25
Excellent OP and thanks for posting it. Yes, I think he was up to no good. Not sure you were a target for carjacking. His intentions may have been worse than taking your vehicle.

I haven't read the 8 pages that follow the OP. But I assume they include kudos for a job well done. I can't think of anything you could have done differently.

Cody Jarrett
06-13-2009, 19:58
Hindsight is 20/20 vision. It's hard for us to feel what you felt or understand your fear. Evolution gave you 10,000 years of instinct and I beieve you followed them correctly. Trusting your instincts can be then difference between life and death and you followed this to the note... and went home to your family unharmed. Good job.

FireForged
06-14-2009, 11:34

What could they do?

I think you did great! I am glad you stayed in the car and stayed cool. The guy will probably never know how close he came to looking at sky.

Well.. sometimes its the small bits of info that allows a inv that is already working a case, to solve it. It may have been better if they had taken a detailed case report and forward it to the division that could already be investigating these guys. It sounds like they just worked up a accident report.

LApm9
06-27-2009, 13:38
One other strategy for someone who feels they MUST approach your drivers side door: Keep your motor running. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right. Shift into reverse. Keep one foot on the brake.

If trouble starts, take your foot off the brake and hit the gas. The front wheel will take the front of the car over the bad guy. Test this in a parking lot to see how it works.

Keep in mind that this action can be lethal...so employ it appropriately...not on irritations like panhandlers, etc.

Gray_Rider
06-30-2009, 20:02
Miss Kitty,

Let me be one of the many to personally congradulate you on your unbelieveable courage and self control in this harrowing experience. I think you handled things masterfully. Those tud balls had more on their minds than exchanging insurance papers. And +100 for being smart enough and ahead of the curve enough to be armed!!! I would wager not one woman in 300 carries. Most just can't be bothered. Even when its their lives in the balance! How many will fill unmarked graves because of it?

I was on the verge of getting my wife to get her carry permit till one evening at a friend's house I brought up CCW and our host laughed at me for being so paranoid. (We live in Jacksonville Fla., the 'murder capitol' of Fla., yep real cause for "paranoia" there) Now she can't be bothered to even think about carrying, (someone may laugh at her about it I suppose) I could see from the look on her face all the imploring and reasoning I had done, (including a then recient incident on a lonely mountain road when she loaded and racked her Glock 26 w/o so much of a word from me. She spotted potential trouble and carried through.) just flew out the window on gossamer wings. She has no problems with me carrying or keeping loaded Glocks at home on the night stand, but thinks nothing of going out at night to the most dangerous part of town unarmed for her college classes.....

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

Hi Ball
07-14-2009, 12:39
Now here is how I see things from your post OK! First of all, I am letting those would be "car-jacker" know I got my GLOCK in hand ready for whatever he attempts to pull out of his pocket the second time you had to tell him to back away from the car understand.

Now once you hear those 2 would be car-jackers discussing the situation, behind your car, that is time for real alert. NO hiding your weapon, use your car as a ram if need be and get the hell out of DODGE period. There is also such a thing as a citizen's arrest in my state, don't know about yours.

I would think by know the person in front of you, would have already made there turn and traffic was flowing once again.......you never stated one way or another. How long did the entire incident take? You are lucky these were real amature car snatchers or you may have been shot and drug out of the car. The bad boys don't wait and discuss what they are going to do with you in the car OK. They know what they are going to do as soon as they come up to a vehicle.

LApm9
07-14-2009, 16:17
A couple of reactions to recent posts in this thread:

According to many eyewitness accounts and my Patrol procedures instructor, "You haven't got the guts" is one of the most popular last things people have said. The other was, "Go ahead and shoot me."

My LEO CCW instructor fielded that question in my last CCW refresher. He said that in our area those statements would qualify as a threat of lethal force. He was careful to qualify "in our area", so check with the local LEOs in your area.

MrsKitty
07-17-2009, 17:04
How long did the entire incident take?

It seemed like eons but it was only a few minutes. 2-4 maybe? I looked at my cell phone records then and added the times but I can't remember now...

Traffic, except for the lane I was in, never even slowed down. I remember thinking "if I do draw down on this guy, and he runs, there is no way he'll not be run over..."

Car in front of me...I want to say it stayed, but I cannot be sure now. My focus was on the guy at my window.

smt1013
09-16-2009, 21:45
Miss Kitty, just read the entire posting. WOW - no way I would have done that well, I would never have thought it was a carjacking - I've learned by your experience. My wife and I just got our MN carry permits, and she will be reading this tomorrow.

Thank-you for educating us all!

VaporLock24
10-20-2009, 22:51
Amazing story! Im happy that you stayed put in the car and dialed 911, im also glad you were armed and not afraid to protect yourself! happy to have you around! :)

GreyEclipse
05-05-2010, 14:48
You did well, you should have said the F word a lot more though...Would have made the story much kooler and you would have sounded tougher. :tongueout:

Cody Jarrett
05-06-2010, 17:02
Very smart behavior on your part. Never let the opponent control the situation and always summon the police. Perhaps God was watching over you as many times these things end badly.

MKEgal
05-20-2010, 21:04
I've heard stories where someone pulls a gun on an attacker and the perp just smiles and says "like I've never had a gun pointed at me before" or "you don't have the guts".

I understand those are among the most popular last words, right up there with "hey watch this!"

Krysta

-

powder86
06-21-2010, 15:57
this a reference for what my wife should know when she gets her cc permit! way to go!

crsuribe
08-01-2010, 21:09
We need more stories like these around here!

Or does anybody know where I can find more? I'm learning from this.

Lone_Wolfe
08-02-2010, 03:00
We need more stories like these around here!

Or does anybody know where I can find more? I'm learning from this.

Go to these threads...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115506

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131983

Great Googly Moogly
08-02-2010, 03:17

What could they do?

Hit and run is a felony in most places.

Burn
08-03-2010, 10:44
I wish more women could read this....but some cry baby will monday morning quarterback you and say somethings to the lines of

He was a good guy and you over reacted

Or he would have just taken your gun away from you....

I am glad you protected yourself...

crsuribe
08-04-2010, 23:51
Go to these threads...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115506

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131983

Thanks!

MrsKitty
08-05-2010, 08:13
Hit and run is a felony in most places.

Requires bodily injury in NC to be a felony.

Cody Jarrett
08-05-2010, 10:37
Don't ever doubt your gut feelings. They're there to keep you alive.
Way to listen to yourself MissK!
Evolution has provided us with 10,000 years of instincts. When the hair on your neck is standing up... believe it.

When you're lying in bed and hear that floor board squeak in the other room or a noise at the window... believe it. When you get the willies about someone... believe it.

Instincts are your first line of defense. They should kick you from yellow to orange (alert).

grizman
08-05-2010, 18:22
Bravo! Well played Mrs Kitty. Kept calm, aware and ready. It does sound more like a snatch n grab abduction attempt than a carjacking. I didn't catch if he was alone in the car? If he was it wasn't a simple carjacking!
I would suggest the same to anyone reading this, get a hi lumen output led light and keep it in you door pocket next to the seat or somewhere handy on the drivers side. Something like a coast L7 from lowes its 190+ lumens 70 bucks and even in broad daylight will momentarely blind a person. Blast'em in the eyes as you kick open the door or draw your weapon, they won't see it coming.
Also on the call to 911 leave the phone on so the operator can hear whats going on and it is being recorded for your witness so to speak!

Again Well Done! You took command of the situation and avoided being more of a victim!

PATRICE
08-06-2010, 04:34

grizman
08-06-2010, 11:16
:sadangel:
:quiet: Your disturbing the adults!

Great Googly Moogly
08-06-2010, 11:26
Good job.
I wish someone would try to carjack me while I have my 2 GSDs in the truck. There's nothing like the sound of grown man screaming.

Misty02
08-06-2010, 11:57
I learned a lot in this thread and others like it. Sharing your experiences can be good learning tools for the rest of us. Thank you! :)

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

M&P Shooter
10-21-2010, 16:53
I wonder if this dude will ever realize how close he came to appearing on True ER Stories as the next gunshot brought in:supergrin: Don't F with the Kitty, good job:wavey:

dan1902
10-21-2010, 21:12
you did much better hen most would have done..well done.
and who cares if he really was going to carjack you..if thats the feeling you were getting from him the obviously you mind was warning you somthing wasnt right and you just can take chances

Grantspastor
02-08-2011, 14:39
I would say that the fact he took off when he found out the police had been called tells everything one needs to know about his intentions.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-17-2011, 10:55
... He says that I need to get out and look at the car, that he has really messed up the rear end. I tell him later. He insists I look right then since I "have got to fix it right now". I tell him that I don't exactly have a body shop with me nor can I fix it, so I am not concerned until I get an estimate about that since I know insurance will cover it.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Do you all think that he was going to carjack me?

I've read all your posts in this thread, and have not seen a particular piece of information that would really "objectively" assess his intentions. That is, after you got home to look at it, and later had a repair person look at it, exactly how messed up was the back of your car?

If it was just a small dent, and given that you probably remembered the spirit of his consversation to you pretty well, then that would be some solid evidence that he was trying to trick you. What I mean is, lack of much damage would be evidence to confirm that he wasn't telling you the truth. From that conclusion, we can all speculate his probable true intentions (car jacking, abduction, etc).

So, how bad was the back of your car?

Let me clarify what I'm getting at. Your OP seems to almost doubt yourself, almost unsure if you can verify the guy's bad intentions. Well, since he was making such a big deal of the damage to the back of your car, and that you had to get out right now to fix it or look at it, was there in fact such extensive damage? If there was not, then clearly, absolutely, beyond a shadow of doubt, the guy was full of it and likely up to no good.

kyletx1911a1
02-17-2011, 14:24
ya did good

MrsKitty
02-21-2011, 22:57
I've read all your posts in this thread, and have not seen a particular piece of information that would really "objectively" assess his intentions. That is, after you got home to look at it, and later had a repair person look at it, exactly how messed up was the back of your car?

If it was just a small dent, and given that you probably remembered the spirit of his consversation to you pretty well, then that would be some solid evidence that he was trying to trick you. What I mean is, lack of much damage would be evidence to confirm that he wasn't telling you the truth. From that conclusion, we can all speculate his probable true intentions (car jacking, abduction, etc).

So, how bad was the back of your car?

Let me clarify what I'm getting at. Your OP seems to almost doubt yourself, almost unsure if you can verify the guy's bad intentions. Well, since he was making such a big deal of the damage to the back of your car, and that you had to get out right now to fix it or look at it, was there in fact such extensive damage? If there was not, then clearly, absolutely, beyond a shadow of doubt, the guy was full of it and likely up to no good.

There was very little damage. Where the dirt laid on the paint, it was rubbed and made some light scratches. You could barely see them although you can feel them. It was light enough that I didn't bother having them buffed out and the car was only a few months old at the time. They were so light that I had to point them out to the responding officer because he didn't see them knowing that he was looking for damages to go on his report.

jack76590
02-24-2011, 18:50
Any thoughts on where the second guy on the other end of the telephone line was located and how he planned to get involved?

MrsKitty
02-24-2011, 19:33
Not a clue. :dunno:

jack76590
02-24-2011, 20:53
Not a clue. :dunno:

It is possible that the second guy was needed to drive the car behind you. My guess is the guy you saw planned to take you and your car. The guy on the other end of the line was hiding in the car that struck you ready to drive away, once the first guy forced his way into your car.

To me this would support the idea of a potential kidnapping. Leaving one car in the street would result in the police going to investigate, clear up the traffic jam.

Naturally, if they planned on leaving you in the street, they could figure on you calling the police.

I think they may have planned to get away with you and both vehicle (ditching one of the vehicles along the way). This they hoped would buy them time and the police would not be alerted until your friends, relatives, etc reported you missing.

You did good and may have saved your life.

SpitFyRRe
04-15-2011, 13:43
I had almost the same thing happen to me last fall which prompted me to immediately get my butt in gear and get my permit.

I drive a 2009 Subaru WRX Sedan. It's red and before I got the windows tinted, I received a lot of unwanted attention because I'm a female and I drive a performance car. I was on my way home, in the left turn lane, and there is a white, 4 door Mazda Speed 3 in front of me with three passengers in it. As the light turned green, they started to go then immediately slammed on their brakes, I can only assume, in an attempt to get me to rear end them as there was nothing in front of them and they had been staring at my car the entire length of the red light. Fortunately, I have good brakes and there was no one in the lane next to me so I proceeded to start to go around them.

Apparently they weren't okay with that and started to go as well and got in the middle of the two lanes so I couldn't get around them. I backed off and they went into the right lane. At this point, I assumed they wanted a race (I didn't) so I continued to drive normally. Once I had a gap, I decided I was going to try to pass them again because I didn't want to be next to them or behind them because they were being very unpredictable and that hinkey feeling was starting to creep up on me. This was also apparently the wrong move as they proceeded to speed up and cut me off.

They blocked both lanes again and decided to stop in the middle of the road. At that point, the hinkey feeling I had earlier had now turned into a state of panic as the three men opened their doors and proceeded to exit the vehicle and start walking towards me in my vehicle. As soon as I saw the big guy in the back open his door, I immediately put the car in reverse, backed up, put it in first and they had left me just enough room to get around them so I got the heck out of Dodge. They rushed back into their car and started to follow me.

I was about 4 minutes from home and I called my boyfriend and told him to get his gun and meet me in the driveway and told him what happened. I didn't want to drive straight home and let them know where I lived, so I went a back way and ended up losing them. The entire time this was happening, I was cursing myself for not having my CCW and my gun in the car. I got my permit the first week of December and every time I'm driving the car, my gun is with me.

It's possible that I misinterpreted what happened in that scenario and they were just trying to race but the second they stopped and I saw those doors open, I was absolutely terrified.

Lone_Wolfe
04-15-2011, 13:52
You didn't misinterpret anything.

You did handle it well, glad you got away OK.

wjv
08-03-2011, 16:03

I understand what your saying, BUT. . . In both situations that I was in (Street robbery, Motel room invasion), displaying or brandishing or whatever you want to call it, caused the BGs (multiple assailants each time) to instantly cease their behavior and run away as fast as they could.

So while I didn't help "clean the gene pool", I also didn't have to: be handcuffed; interviewed by 300 cops; spend a fortune for an attorney; put my life on hold for 3 months until a DA or Grand Jury cleared me; lose sleep because I had killed someone.

agtman
08-13-2011, 18:53
I understand what your saying, BUT. . . In both situations that I was in (Street robbery, Motel room invasion), displaying or brandishing or whatever you want to call it, caused the BGs (multiple assailants each time) to instantly cease their behavior and run away as fast as they could.

So while I didn't help "clean the gene pool", I also didn't have to: be handcuffed; interviewed by 300 cops; spend a fortune for an attorney; put my life on hold for 3 months until a DA or Grand Jury cleared me; lose sleep because I had killed someone.

Which proves that a little restraint in accomplishing the immediate goal (detering the threat with your own threat of lethal force and surviving) goes a long way, ... and is often hassle-free to boot.

:cool:

Dexter88
01-04-2012, 21:58
Wow, thanks for sharing, there are some crazy stories here. I am a strong believer in following your intuition and think you absolutely made the right decision.

tactical556
01-11-2012, 09:31
Excellent work! You did everything right in my book. Kept a cool head (hard to do under stress like that), you made intelligent decisions, you moved to your gun very fast, were apparently very aware of your surroundings and you kept talking to the guy buying yourself and the police more time. I am glad it all worked out well for you.

Good guys 1, scumbags 0.

Vietboy1st
01-18-2012, 02:23
wow this is an interesting story. I believe the guy was trying to kidnap you but maybe he is a rookie. lol Did you get to write down his license plate ?
Thank you

BonnieB
08-20-2012, 14:23
I was debating whether I really needed a CCL. Due to this thread, I have no further doubts.

I am applying this week. It'll take a while, but I'm applying.

Well done! to the OP and all the others who contributed.

BonnieB
09-07-2012, 12:55
Everybody reviewed this thread lately? If not, please do. Carjacks are still happening and jackers see women as especially vulnerable.

This thread is the main reason I'm going for my CCW.

The Fist Of Goodness
09-07-2012, 13:06
I came to this thread late, and haven't read every post, so if this has already been mentioned, I apologize.

There was a serial killer in Philadelphia in the late 90's who would use the accident ruse to abduct his victims. He would use a honda civic that belonged to his first victim (who went missing). He kept it in a garage and only took it out when he was looking for victims. He has several unsuccessful attempts where the girl refused to pull over. (One of them was my girlfriend at the time, who was able to get a partial plate before he ran).

His name was Arthur Bomar. He was eventually caught after his fat ass got stuck while he was trying to climb through a window of a girl he was stalking.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Skeet732
09-07-2012, 13:13
Just found this thread, didn't think about an "accidental" rear-end collision being used as a ruse to steel a car. Thanks, I'll have a talk with my wife tonight.

BonnieB
09-21-2012, 12:46
Helooooo ! Anyone out there? <<< crickets >>>

Did all the women go on vacation?

B

MrsKitty
09-21-2012, 20:47
Helooooo ! Anyone out there? <<< crickets >>>

Did all the women go on vacation?

B

I'm sorry...I couldn't hear you over the crashing waves :wavey:

MrsKitty
09-21-2012, 20:51
wow this is an interesting story. I believe the guy was trying to kidnap you but maybe he is a rookie. lol Did you get to write down his license plate ?
Thank you

No, didn't even noticed the plate. Several cops in the area I talked to thought it was not only a kidnapping but gang-related, possibly being an initiation. Guess he didn't get in that day. :supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
09-24-2012, 18:22
I was debating whether I really needed a CCL. Due to this thread, I have no further doubts.

I am applying this week. It'll take a while, but I'm applying.

Well done! to the OP and all the others who contributed.

This thread has cause several people to rethink their own protection, and that's the best reason to share a story like this. :thumbsup:

vtducrider
09-25-2012, 09:18
I was rear-ended once, in stop and go traffic on a busy road. Low speed impact, but it was surprising nonetheless when it was not expected. I wasn't hurt or anything, from the rear view mirror, I saw the guy who hit me was already out of his car, and looking at my bumper. I got out to look at the damage. Car was fine, just a crack and couple scratches. He apologized profusely, asked me if I was hurt, and gave me his license and insurance card. We exchanged phone number as well, after which we both drove off. The next day, I called my insurance company and his to file a claim. Car was fixed by the end of the following week. No big deal, life goes on. It was no more nuisance than having to pick up an acquaintance from the airport.

I am in the minority to think that you over-reacted. If this accident happened in a secluded part of the town, late at night, without many people around, then you were spot on to do what you did. But what do you think he was going to do, in the middle of the day, with many cars/people around, having no accomplice? What if you shot him, and found out later that he was just a regular guy, wife and a couple of kids, elderly parents, etc... Could you live with yourself?

Lone_Wolfe
09-25-2012, 10:33
........He takes a few steps back and calls somebody. I crack the back window enough I can hear him agitatedly telling them "No,no, I can't do that." Then, "No, that won't work." And finally, "No, I don't think she will do that" followed by "I don't think I can" while he is dancing around. Well, while he is on the phone I call back to 911.........................

....................... But what do you think he was going to do, in the middle of the day, with many cars/people around, having no accomplice?.......................

:headscratch:

Sounds like an accomplice to me. And she had no way to know whether or not that person was nearby.

vtducrider
09-25-2012, 10:53
:headscratch:

Sounds like an accomplice to me. And she had no way to know whether or not that person was nearby.

He could be on the phone with his insurance company, or a friend, or a sniper hiding in the bushes, or the president. MrsKitty called someone too, 911 no less, right? You also have to realize that there are at least 3 versions of this encounter - OP's version, the alleged bad guy's, and what actually happened. Not counting potential witness' account of the events. And let me remind you the conclusion of the story, which was nothing. OP's instinct would have been spectacular, if the police officer discovered that the guy was driving a stolen car, had lengthy criminal record, in possession of a firearm illegally, drugs in the trunk, etc...

I am glad MrsKitty was fine. Although she while not wrong, over-reacted. Common sense would have sufficed.

billkill
09-25-2012, 11:02
He looks at me, quickly takes a couple steps backwards and tells me that he is moving his car off the road into an adjacent parking lot. I tell him "Fine. Then you need to stay in your car until the police arrive. Do you understand?" He says, "You called the police?" I tell him yes, twice. He hauls butt to the car and runs. The last I saw of him was his taillights under the red light he ran.

This leads me to believe her instincts were spot on.

Lone_Wolfe
09-25-2012, 12:08
He could be on the phone with his insurance company, or a friend, or a sniper hiding in the bushes, or the president. MrsKitty called someone too, 911 no less, right? You also have to realize that there are at least 3 versions of this encounter - OP's version, the alleged bad guy's, and what actually happened. Not counting potential witness' account of the events. And let me remind you the conclusion of the story, which was nothing. OP's instinct would have been spectacular, if the police officer discovered that the guy was driving a stolen car, had lengthy criminal record, in possession of a firearm illegally, drugs in the trunk, etc...

I am glad MrsKitty was fine. Although she while not wrong, over-reacted. Common sense would have sufficed.

She used common sense. She stayed in her car, she called 911, she had a way to protect herself at the ready. She also told the guy to back off instead of shooting him or anything like that. The fact that the guy ran when she said she'd called the police is a pretty good indicator that he was up to no good. Other wise he'd have stuck around until they got there.

The conversation she heard on the phone doesn't sound like one she'd have with her insurance company either, so the smart thing to do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

BonnieB
09-25-2012, 14:34
I understand that some people may think the OP over-reacted. But I have to say, for women especially, there is no such thing as too much caution in such situations.

JuneyBooney
09-25-2012, 22:33
No, didn't even noticed the plate. Several cops in the area I talked to thought it was not only a kidnapping but gang-related, possibly being an initiation. Guess he didn't get in that day. :supergrin:

In most scenarios it was gang related. If the kid was Latino he may have run off because he was illegal..because even though people think differently..most are illegals.

Then if he was Black he was probably a gang banger too. Lastly, if he was White he may have been a gangbanger nowadays too. In the old days the races were separate for gangs but now they sometimes untermingle and make things very difficult.

Good job though.

Mrs.Cicero
09-26-2012, 18:58
The problem with telling yourself that you are overreacting and should just use "common sense" is that it means you are ignoring your instincts. Women are trained to ignore their instincts in the face of danger, in favor of NOT OFFENDING anyone. That's why they make easier victims. I'd rather offend a few thin-skinned people who do not understand the world as it is for the women in it, than be kidnapped, raped, and/or dead.

Even if the OP was actually NOT the man's intended victim, she still made the right call.

That is all.

tacdriver22mk2
09-29-2012, 12:02
You WERE almost jacked! A very similar incident happened to me at a gun range, several years ago. Same, 'song and dance' routine; same indecisive ambiguous behavior. In my opinion your caution and reserved aggression were warranted. This could, very easily, have turned out bad for you.

In my case I had, just, shot off the cylinder and two belt reloads with my Model 29, when - out of nowhere - this swarthy, well-dressed guy suddenly appears behind me; when I first saw him, he was standing next to my range bag! (He must have been watching me and deliberately staying out of my field of view.) He gave me a weird grin and remarked; 'You shot her dry; didn't you!' That was all I needed to hear; from that moment on, I had no doubt what was taking place. I immediately held the 44 magnum up with my left hand and showed him the open empty cylinder. As he looked at the Model 29 and smiled, I drew a pistol from my right hip, and said; 'Yes it's empty, all right; but this one is ready to go!'

Now this guy had, 'brass'. I could tell he was, 'phased' but not about to give up. (He, actually, made me feel like a, 'pigeon'.) He engaged me in a, sort of, jovial banter while steadily moving toward my gun hand. We, almost, completed a full circle together while he made small talk: He'd move to my right side; I'd shift my gun hand away from him; and he'd continue to move with me. He acted comical; but I could see the frustration in his eyes. I finally put one of the benchrests between us, cocked the hammer, and lay my hand down on the table with the muzzle pointing straight at him. I asked him; 'What kind of game are we playing, here?' His reply startled me. 'All I'm doing, today, is trying to pick up a birthday present for a friend.' Then he walked away from me; and I immediately threw my stuff in the truck and left the range. Shortly thereafter I bought my first cell phone; today, whenever I go out, I am never without it.

Now I'm the kind of guy who crosses every, 'T' and dots every, 'I'; but, in any situation like this, if you wait until that moment when you are absolutely certain, then, in my opinion, it will already be too late! I think you did the right thing. Oh, yeah, this guy had his left hand in his front pants pocket, almost, the entire time he talked to me. When he turned to leave I caught a glimpse of what I believe to have been a little, silver, Raven semi-automatic. I guess he didn't want to match it against the fifteen rounds held in my S&W Model 59. Smart choice! ;)

wow i have never heard of this kind of method for robbery the bump and jack or the waiting till your empty thing although i always thought it would be a good idea to have something ready but rarely have thank you OP and who i am quoting you very well might have saved my life

in the OP's case i think you responded perfectly as long as your car was still in drive or your foot was on the clutch with the gearshift in first the whole time although after the first back away from the car i would have been brandishing all over the place and have already told him the cops were on their way but then i tend to be more aggressive and in a different circumstance that very well could put ME in the back of the cop car

as far as the quote goes i would have shot him about when 182 degrees of the first circling had been covered or if not certainly he would be admiring the hp cavity on a 127gr ranger t +p+ but again thats me and i tend to not take chances and your response obviously made the problem go away

Texas357
10-17-2012, 14:05
Staged car accident was used in my city a while back, looks like a hired hit on a local business man (construction industry). Bumped his car at a stop sign on rural edge of town, and then shot him when he got out of his car.

For any behavior you see, consider if something was accidental and what could have caused it, or if it was intentional and what someone might be after. Same with what people tell you: is it the truth or what they believe, or could it be false (and what motivations would they have for lying to you).

Sometimes accidents happen, sometimes coincidences hapen, but sometimes be ready if things aren't what they appear. Attackers take advantage of victims assuming, ignoring, or believing what they hope is happening.

TK-421
10-17-2012, 14:21
Yes the posts are a bit old, but I really don't understand why people are claiming the OP over-reacted, and that she should've used common sense. SHE DID USE COMMON SENSE. She listened to her instincts, and she absolutely did the right thing. I do not see how she could have done any better than what she did. I think everything she did was spot on. If you feel uncomfortable for any reason, don't do stupid things that make you feel even more uncomfortable.

She didn't feel comfortable leaving the car, so common sense would tell you to remain in the vehicle, which she did. And yet a few people are making it seem like common sense would dictate you leave the vehicle, even though you're not comfortable doing so. Which I really think is pretty damn stupid.

OP did the exact right thing. Stay in the vehicle, call the cops, let the insurance companies handle it. Who cares how much damage is done? It's not like you can fix it right there on the side of the road, so there's no use worrying about it. Stay in the car, especially if the other person is very insistent that you get out of your vehicle, even more so since the guy had his dominant hand in his pocket. Call the cops, and wait for them to arrive and sort it out, it's what they're paid for, let them deal with it.

The fact that she did the right thing is proven even more so by the fact that the guy fled after being informed that the police were called.

Disco Hamster
04-06-2013, 08:15
You most certainly did NOT over react. I would have done the same thing, given the circumstances. NEVER allow control of the situation to shift to the other person. The fact that he wanted you out of the car so badly, is a clear sign that he wanted you to be exposed. How he reacted when you told him to back away, hand in pocket, and freaking out when you informed him you called the police, confirm that you did the right thing.

Situational awareness is not something to be ashamed of. If something does not seem right, go with your gut - it may be a perfectly legit situation, but why take the risk?

My husband told me how he, his cousin and his uncle were in NY years ago - all on their bikes. His uncle is a former Seal, and always carries. A group of sketchy guys started walking towards them as they were stopped in heavy traffic. These guys had been watching the bikes all the way down the street, waiting for a chance to approach them. There was no reason for them to be walking diagonally across the street, weaving through stopped cars. Hank (the uncle) realized something was odd, so he opened his tank bag, removed his handgun and very casually rested it on his thigh. The first guy slinks around a car, sees the gun and freezes. He then signaled to the other guys in the group to turn around. No incident, everyone got home safe. Now, I think Hank did the right thing. It could have been perfectly innocent, but regardless - he felt threatened, and reacted properly. The simple act of showing the gun was enough to make the group think twice about targeting them.

You have to use YOUR judgement. Nobody else is there to protect you.

wjv
04-24-2013, 11:53
There was a serial killer in Philadelphia in the late 90's who would use the accident ruse to abduct his victims. He would use a honda civic that belonged to his first victim (who went missing). He kept it in a garage and only took it out when he was looking for victims. He has several unsuccessful attempts where the girl refused to pull over. (One of them was my girlfriend at the time, who was able to get a partial plate before he ran).

His name was Arthur Bomar. He was eventually caught after his fat ass got stuck while he was trying to climb through a window of a girl he was stalking.

One of his victims was Aimee Willard, a star lacrosse player at her college. Now I don't know much about lacrosse, but it seems to me that you have to be pretty physically fit to be a "star lacrosse player". Yet she was overpowered by Bomar. . . There is a reason why guns were called equalizers. .

The Fist Of Goodness
04-24-2013, 17:47
One of his victims was Aimee Willard, a star lacrosse player at her college. Now I don't know much about lacrosse, but it seems to me that you have to be pretty physically fit to be a "star lacrosse player". Yet she was overpowered by Bomar. . . There is a reason why guns were called equalizers. .

I remember her. If I remember correctly, she was hit from behind on the Blue Route (I476) and they found her car empty and running on the side of the road. They found her body in North Philly.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Kessler
10-14-2013, 15:55
My wife went to JAIL this morning.................mainly because of this thread.

NO, she didn't get put IN jail, the jail is where you have to be fingerprinted for your CC permit. She was fingerprinted and then we got all her documents ready for the mail tomorrow.

Great thread and it should awaken a few of you to what could happen, and it could! Stay alert!

Gray_Rider
10-19-2013, 20:33
If this thread doesn't wake someone up, they deserve the consequences...

But I'm sure it won't faze hundreds.

Gray_Rider

Lone_Wolfe
10-20-2013, 07:51
If this thread doesn't wake someone up, they deserve the consequences...

But I'm sure it won't faze hundreds.

Gray_Rider

But nothing like this could ever happen to me.......

Or so many people seem to think. Good thing MK wasn't living in that fairy tale that day.

Astanax
01-17-2014, 03:07
I was rear-ended once, in stop and go traffic on a busy road. Low speed impact, but it was surprising nonetheless when it was not expected. I wasn't hurt or anything, from the rear view mirror, I saw the guy who hit me was already out of his car, and looking at my bumper. I got out to look at the damage. Car was fine, just a crack and couple scratches. He apologized profusely, asked me if I was hurt, and gave me his license and insurance card. We exchanged phone number as well, after which we both drove off. The next day, I called my insurance company and his to file a claim. Car was fixed by the end of the following week. No big deal, life goes on. It was no more nuisance than having to pick up an acquaintance from the airport.

I am in the minority to think that you over-reacted. If this accident happened in a secluded part of the town, late at night, without many people around, then you were spot on to do what you did. But what do you think he was going to do, in the middle of the day, with many cars/people around, having no accomplice? What if you shot him, and found out later that he was just a regular guy, wife and a couple of kids, elderly parents, etc... Could you live with yourself?

I Googled "Woman raped in subway" and got a few stories with varying years, including one from 4 days ago, about rapes in the New York Subway system. Middle of the day, people around, yet these women still got raped. The worst part is that New York has made it near impossible for women to carry guns to protect themselves. Sure tasers and pepper spray are probably still legal, but tasers have a one shot hit/miss, and pepper spray can be ineffective on an aggressive attacker. If police have to keep up the fight after being pepper sprayed to successfully subdue the suspect, pepper spray becomes much more ineffective to a suspect with a high tolerance for pepper spray.

Astanax
01-17-2014, 03:25
Alright, stun guns and electronic "weapons" are illegal in all parts of New York, according to handgunlaw.us. So self defense sprays are the only thing allowed in New York City, and only if the purchaser fills out a registration form and does not buy more than two self defense sprays at one time. I have read one story from Massad Ayoob on his Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry First Edition how a rapist killed two women after raping them because one of them sprayed him with a "Mace like substance."

mc1911
04-19-2014, 17:04
Good job Mrskitty!!!