How do females you know feel about guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do females you know feel about guns?

AmmoBabe
07-09-2003, 14:25
If you are a female on here, most likely you are not against guns, but maybe so! Tell me about your friends and family. Guys, what about your wife's views?

pizzaaguy
07-09-2003, 14:58
My wife, pizzaagrrl, is behind my owning and carrying 100%.

JeepDriver
07-09-2003, 17:32
My wife isn't anti gun or pro gun. ;Q

She's anti me spending loads of money on them though. :(

She had never been around guns until she met me (She's from England) She had never seen a gun other then the one's carried by the guards in the air ports. She was kind of amazed that I owned so many firearms and that I kept one loaded next to the bed at all times.

MoonMan
07-10-2003, 11:09
My wife does not like guns.

On some level, she understands why I carry. She has accepted that I carry, and encourages me to get more training-- it makes her feel better. There seems to be a subtle change in the wind... Give me three or four more years, and I think I may get her to the range!

We have a mutual friend who is female. She is aware that I carry, but has never seen it. We have an unspoken don't ask/don't tell policy among us.

G Man .40
07-10-2003, 14:23
Originally posted by pizzaaguy
My wife, pizzaagrrl, is behind my owning and carrying 100%.

Same here! Mrs G Woman.40 never handled or fired a handgun until I taught her. Now she wants to shoot magnum sized calibers. She won't practice though unless I'm with her. Her confidence level isn't good yet. But at least she was opened minded about it.

nigneil146
07-10-2003, 16:40
I pretty much have the same situation as GMAN. My girlfriend said she would have never even thought about shotting a gun until she met me. She started shooting about a month and a half ago with a .22, now she shoots my glock 30. She understands that I carry for our protection and eventually wants to get her CCW. She also can't wait to get a Kimber Ultra.

alaskaal
07-10-2003, 16:52
My wife is 100% supporter of the 2nd Ammendment and all it entails. She owns a Ruger Mark I auto pistol and a Glock 26 which is her carry pistol. She is a great shot. She really came full circle behind gun use in a practical sense due to an frightening experience on Memorial day this year. Everything turned out well for her and she really appreciates the security that firearms can provide.

xena
07-11-2003, 00:23
Some of my women friends are totally anti gun but I've managed to get a few of them to the range and they had to admit they enjoyed the experience. Speaking for myself, I've always been interested in guns; as a child I found them far more interesting than dolls........Dad would take me out once in a while to plink at targets........did the M-16 range in the Army ..best part of basic. Exposure and education is everything. Hey, I'm fairly liberal but that doesn't preclude me from understanding the value of our second amendment rights!

RH45
07-11-2003, 03:16
My x wife desested guns, but put up with them for 25+ years.

My girlfriend seems to like guns. She went on her first bear hunt with me last year, and harvested a bear. She also owns a Kimber pro elite that I gave her for Christmas.

Amelia
07-15-2003, 20:47
Neither of my sisters have guns, but they respect that i do and seem pleased by that and the fact that i do get periodic training. My mother seems supportive as well. Some of my female friends who know that i have guns think it's a bit weird and others think it's cool. My female coworkers would disapprove, i'm sure, therefore they do not know about it.

hk40lbuddies
07-18-2003, 07:10
My Exwife had no problems with guns and liked going to the range.

My current GF was scared to death by them - but over time I have slowly gotten her used to them. She let me get her son a BB gun for christmas - and I even got her to go to the range and shoot -she actually enjoyed it. One step at a time

Sotex
07-22-2003, 11:25
My wife's only experience with guns prior to meeting me was her brothers handing her a 12 guage loaded with magnums and having her touch one off. Yeah, great fun;Q

I started her off with lite .38s in a S&W M10, and she thouroughly enjoys shooting. She prefers my Glock 23.

Kilroy
07-25-2003, 23:26
I give up four weekend days a year to run a range for the local Second Amendement Sisters. This free shoot is for new shooters. It brings out many that are curious and willing to learn more.

A very worth while project. We have about 40 per event, four times a year and give away a number of guns.

confused
07-29-2003, 03:25
Ex wife was very pro gun. Had a CCW though rarely carried. Ended up taking a bite out of my firearm collection in the divorce :-(

I am currently single. Had a few dates with a woman last month. The first 2 dates went very very well. Brought up guns on the 3rd date. She basically said that if she knew that someone owned guns she could not even be friends with them. I was extra careful the rest of the evening to make sure that I did not print or accidently let her touch me "there." After dropping her off, I declined the invitation to come in for a drink and as you can guess, that was the last date.

Since then, I have had a couple of dates with another woman. We have a date later this week and she has asked me to surprise her. I was going to take her for a sight seeing flight, but my plane will not be ready from it annual inspection by then. So, she does not know it, but we are going to an indoor pistol range. She is definitely in for a surprise, I hope I am not in for one as well.

Amelia
07-29-2003, 05:37
confused,

good luck! Let us know what happens!

;a

hk40lbuddies
07-29-2003, 06:20
[i]So, she does not know it, but we are going to an indoor pistol range. She is definitely in for a surprise, I hope I am not in for one as well. [/B]

Having been there let me give you a couple of suggestions.

1) if she balks at the idea when you get there - don't try to force it.
2) Please don't hand her a desert eagle 50 on her first run thru.

These assume that she isn't already into guns.

Good luck

Amelia
07-29-2003, 06:26
Good advice! ;f

A nice easy 22 would be a good place to start, in fact.

;e

confused
07-29-2003, 07:05
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no point in forcing things; either on the guns issue or on any other issue for that matter. People are who they are and if you try and force a change upon them, it is not going to work in the long term. Any change has to happen because the person wants to change.

I have taken men, women and friends' kids shooting before. I have always started them with a 38 special revolver and if things went well, moved on to something bigger. However, this is the first time I am taking someone who I have no clue where they stand on the gun issue. She asked for a surprise -- that much I will deliver.

TJ in PA
07-31-2003, 12:50
Originally posted by AmmoBabe
If you are a female on here, most likely you are not against guns, but maybe so! Tell me about your friends and family. Guys, what about your wife's views?

Mrs DA in PA is fine with it. I taugh her how to shoot, carry, maintenance, and safety. She is now considering gettting her CCW.

LewisQ
07-31-2003, 16:22
Funny, my wife was the one who got me into guns. I didn't even had a gun before I met her and now I teach CCW!

I was not in the anti group but I just didn't know how much fun it was...

dgg9
07-31-2003, 16:29
In my professional office-type circles, mostly liberal, it's about what you expect -- mostly reflexively anti. But I have been surprised a fair amount of the time. Many liberal yuppie type women accept gun ownership and carrying, on the self defense premise. On further examination, invariably there's some catalyzing event: either they, or more usually someone they know, were either attacked or much more usually simply scared by an intruder or a similar event where it became clear that not having a gun hindered THEM a whole lot more than the male criminal.

As for girlfriends, most were interested in finding out, and once I brought them to the range where they could shoot for themselves (and all shot gratifyingly well), that desensitized the issue. None went on to buy a gun, but the whole gun issue became a "so what" sort of thing.

Lew-G17
07-31-2003, 21:40
My wife is not bothered by guns and actually likes to shoot smaller caliber pistols and rifles. She is a very good shot, like most women seem to be. She is tolerating me getting a CCW and has been supportive about a loaded pistol in the house, she bought my fast access safe. I have not found the words yet to get her over her dislike of a CCW, but I'm sure with time she will see the reasoning.

geminicricket
07-31-2003, 22:22
My wife hates guns.

My wife hates my guns.

My wife hates knowing that I have a gun.

My wife won't discuss guns around the kids.

My wife hates that I receive a couple of gun magazines in the mail.

And she says she loves me.

hk40lbuddies
08-01-2003, 06:18
Originally posted by confused
I have taken men, women and friends' kids shooting before. I have always started them with a 38 special revolver and if things went well, moved on to something bigger. However, this is the first time I am taking someone who I have no clue where they stand on the gun issue. She asked for a surprise -- that much I will deliver.

I would second Amelias suggestion of starting with a .22.
If she likes it let her ask you to try someting "bigger"

Vic303
08-10-2003, 16:19
Me'n the hubby are just biding our time to garner $$ to take our CHL classes here in TX! My preferred carry will likely be a .45, or a .357, FWIW.

Glock-o-matic
08-13-2003, 20:27

Mrs Glock-o-matic has more guns than I do. I am the envy of every married man I shoot with (the unmarried ones, too).

norton
08-18-2003, 16:32
Mrs. Norton tolerates my firearms. I think she probably wishes I wasn't as interested in them as I am.
She is a wonderful woman and wife. Couldn't ask for better.
But over the years I have found she really isn't interested in "guy things" like-
Motorcycles
Firearms
Woodworking
She has gotten deeply into NASCAR. Never thought that would happen, but at least we have one passion in common.
And by the way, I don't generally talk to people I work with about firearms. Most folks have strong feelings one way or the other-I don't need anymore problems at work. Besides, the fewer people who know how many guns I have the better-

Vic303
08-21-2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Glock-o-matic
Mrs Glock-o-matic has more guns than I do. I am the envy of every married man I shoot with (the unmarried ones, too).

;f ;f
My husband likes to joke that he married me for MY gun collection!
Hmm...maybe he wasn't joking.

KrisLady
08-25-2003, 06:42
Pretty much the only experience I had ever had with guns at all was my ex-husband's -- he kept a .22 (for small game) and a 12-ga. (for deer). I was never terribly thrilled about the whole thing. I don't even like game meat. ;Q

Then, several years later, I met a guy who eventually moved here (to upstate NY) from New Jersey and wanted US to apply for our pistol permits. Ah, togetherness. So, to humor him, I went along. After all, what could it hurt?

So he subscribed to Guns and Ammo and we waited. And waited. Then we waited some more. After 11 months, the permits finally arrived in the mail. He DRAGGED me out the very next day to go buy guns. (He chose a Beretta 92 and I got the G19, since the impression I had gotten was that Glocks are pretty much idiot-proof.) And he called and set up an NRA safety course for the next weekend.

Then we went out shooting.

Now I carry the 19 every day, and I out-shoot him, and I've been campaigning very seriously to get him to come over to the "Glock side" ;j

In fact, I think Santa's going to be bringing a G22 for him this year. Just to keep G27 I've been drooling over company, of course. ;w

I love my Glock. ;3

Kris

APOLLO
08-28-2003, 13:23

My wife is cool with it, but I think 80% of women are shakey around the gun issue, due to lack of education of the subject and from what they see on TV.

Blue Nunn
09-03-2003, 18:38
My husband and I are both Law Enforcement Officers in New York City! I'm more into the competative aspect of firearms and he teaches! It's a Great Relationship!

I'm NEVER at a loss of what to buy him! There are always : Holsters - Magazines - Rounds - New weapons - Etc! I Love to Surprise him!

Even if I wasn't a L.E.O. I'd still be a firearms enthusiast! My counterpart would also have to be a part of this interest otherwise I'd be Suspicious of his background!;P ;a

melissamius
09-04-2003, 08:48
Most of my female friends are more or less ambivalent abt guns. I took my best friend shooting last year and she did great. Not a total convert, won't run out and buy a Glock anytime in the near future but she atleast enjoyed doing it. The rest of them, like Apollo says just don't have any knowledge of it or haven't been exposed to it.

stiletto raggio
09-06-2003, 06:27
Originally posted by geminicricket
My wife hates guns.

My wife hates my guns.

That will never happen to me. Liking guns (or at least beign neutral/convertable) is pretty much a prerequisite for marrigae for me. Not that htis is an issue that I will be delaing with any time soon.

I have always been amazed that so few women have a genuine interest in guns, if for nothing more than personal security. I have found that a lot of women are afraid of guns because they know they are powerful and potentially very destructive. Once they learn for themselves that a) there is a reason to own weapons and b) that they control the gun, not vice versa, they are generally much more open to shooting, if not downright enthusiastic. I have taken four girls to ranges on "dates" of sorts, and all of them really enjoyed it. I think that the fact that they would agree to go to the range is a good clue that they are potential gun-lovers.

Unfortunately, all the girls on here are married/much older than me. I suppose I just have to find 'em young and convert them myself.

jeremy54b
09-06-2003, 11:04
I have made a few observations lately...

1. Most, if not all, the females who have been in my life LOVE to shoot.

2. The most recent one fought me for my G21 on several occasions;)

3. Aformentioned female gave more a** chewings for selling a gun than I got for doing bad things;)

4. I will never again let a significant other shoot a gun I love, lest I lose it to them:D

hitecrednek
09-11-2003, 16:31
Help-
every girl I've dated has hated guns....very depressing..

Mairsil
09-23-2003, 11:57
My wife and I only started shooting a few weeks ago (shooting guns is a rather uncommon hobby in the Netherlands, as carrying a gun is prohibited here), and we both like it a lot. Even though we have to be shooting for a year before we can buy a weapon, she already picked hers. She wants a .357 Desert Eagle, no less, so I'd say she's pretty much into it. Though it remains to be seen if she'll actually manage to lift it =)

I've got my mind set on a Glock 34 myself, thus my hanging around here.

Most other girls (and guys, for that matter) are mostly surprised when we tell them about our new hobby ("you mean actual shooting? With guns? Real guns, with bullets? Why'd you want that?"), but so far we've had no negative reactions, even though this is a country where most people have never even seen a real gun (including me, up to a month or two ago).

Chicklet
09-24-2003, 09:02
(I'm female)

I've always been pro gun and I wanted to start with what would be my constant weapon. After much research I decided on the baby glock. It was comfortable for me to hold and would be the easier of Glocks for me to conceal. The first bullet from a handgun I ever shot was with my baby and I have to say I love it. Yes the recoil is hard but practice, practice and I got use to it. I shoot once a week if possible and truly appreciate this fine gun.

Ghosty
09-24-2003, 09:11
My wife hates guns.

My wife hates my guns.

;T How disappointing...

I feel for you...

rlbgfish173
09-29-2003, 19:12
My wife has her own guns, loves to shoot and does her own reloading
and I am a lucky man!

Tvov
09-29-2003, 19:51
My wife and I both shoot, me more than her, it is difficult to get range time with busy schedules. One family we know well has guns, so that is no problem talking guns with them (I tell my son that that family is the only other people we can talk about guns with).

Friends up the street - the wife's father had guns in the house, she got a varsity letter on the rifle team in college, and will not allow the mention of guns in her house with her kids around. Not even toy guns. Go figure.

Sister - my family grew up with Winchesters mounted over the fireplace, and going to shooting ranges because my Dad worked for Winchester for a few years. We had a gorgeous M-1 Garand "display" gun (barrel filled) in the gameroom (one of my other sisters has it now :( ). So... my "middle" sister has a fit last year when she realized that I had (gasp!) handguns in the house with kids. This same sister also won a varsity letter on the rifle team in college. Doesn't matter to her that the guns are very securely locked up. They are EVIL. ;Q

Another friend does not like guns, but I was able to talk calmly with her about them, and interest her in possibly going to the range.

So, the reaction to guns runs the gamut.

This post came out a bit longer than I realized!

Chicklet
09-29-2003, 20:20
wow that is really sad about the 'taboo' to the kids. Ignorance in kids, proven over and over can kill accidentially. She needs to read up on the Eddie Eagle program for kids.

It's a shame to hide such an important life saving subject from children. Just like 'safe sex' is taught in schools, what to do and not to do, when a child finds a gun should be mandatory since a peice off ass without contraception doesn't cause instant death but a fired gun can.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/index.asp

The Eddie Eagle GunSafe« Program teaches elementary school children four important steps to take if they find a gun. These steps are presented by the program's mascot, Eddie Eagle, in an easy-to-remember format consisting of the following simple rules:

If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

Shoeless
09-29-2003, 21:34
Shockingly, almost every woman I meet is either intrigued or at least isn't hysterical when they find out that I am a shooter and instructor. I think it's because I am sooo matter-of-fact about it. I treat it like it's no big deal and it's something that everyone should do. I'm also surprised at how many women tell me that they either own or carry a gun after they find out that I'm into it too.

Shoeless

BikerGoddess
09-30-2003, 07:47
I get a lot of interest from women, as well. Of course, my friends are kinda like me - I don't hang out with the whiny, scared-of-their-shawdows type to begin with.

Part of the good reaction is due to my overall personality, too. I'm quiet (really ;)) and polite and most people are surprised to find out I like guns, because I'm "not that type." So, they aren't too worried that I'll flip and start shooting up churches or schools.

And I also think that some women attribute my confidence to carrying a gun, and they think they can get the same by doing the same. People are afraid to stand up for themselves, and might see carrying as a way to give them the boost they need. That's not what gives me the confidence to do what is right, but it may be what they need and I'm all for that. I do think that knowing how to defend yourself gives you confidence that will carry over into other parts of your life.

Sorry for the rambling, I think I need some more sleep...

Laura

NYSOM@42
09-30-2003, 08:43
How do females you know feel about guns?

My wife is totally cool with it.;)

lakersfan16
10-01-2003, 12:25
When I first started going out with my girlfriend, she wasn't against guns, but she didn't know much about them either. Since that time, I have taken her out shooting with my Glock 21 and my Remington 870 Wingmaster. Now, she absolutely loves guns. Not only shooting them, but now she wants to own one herself. She also wants to go Phesant hunting with me this fall....I am so excited!

G29 Man
10-01-2003, 19:29
This is Mrs.G29Man and I love guns.I've never shot a gun until I met my hubby.We just came back from the GSSF shoot in GA. and I had the time of my life there shooting. I think it's important for a woman to learn how to shoot and handle a gun. Any kind of gun including shotguns(i recommend this for house defense for a woman if they won't handle handguns)

Toml
10-01-2003, 20:36
My girl friends and sisters are serious, and slightly amused that they have the P O W E R.

Melissa Ann
10-02-2003, 13:07
I've been shooting now for a couple of years - I shoot IDPA and bullseye, RO at GSSF matches, been to a couple USPSA matches, SO IDPA matches. I took a class with Amelia back in Oct 2001. (Very nice gal BTW, and a good shot!) I LOVE SHOOTING! (more than that, I love being able to defend myself, should the need arise ever again.)

My mom isn't anti - dad shoots and she supports that. She doesn't understand why I want to, or why I want to carry, or why I want to move out of NJ so I CAN carry.

My sisters - we agree to not discuss the subject. ;Q

My girlfriends - 1 owns a revolver, has never shot it. We keep talking about going to the range, but she always finds a reason not to go. She is totally cool with me shooting tho. Another friend owns a few semi-autos but doesn't go to the range either. Most all others are pretty anti. :(

My boyfriend and I run a couple of IDPA matches in the area. We've worked a couple ladies day events. We're always trying to find ways to encourage other women to come out and at least give shooting a try. We reload as a team, including casting our own bullets. Much fun! It's great having a partner who's into the same things I am. Guns, reloading, woodworking. :D

Stay safe all....
Melissa :cool:

jchast
10-07-2003, 06:41
My wife hates guns.

My wife hates my guns.

I know what you are going through... My girlfriend of 4-1/2 years absolutely HATES guns. She is totally against me hunting and owning any type of gun. I basically told her that I've been shooting and hunting looooooooooong before I knew she existed and that would NOT change regardless of how she feels. She knows that firearms and hunting are what I do and she was alright with it for awhile, but lately she has been giving me 4x the trouble since I've been carrying my new G23. I finally had enough the other day and told her that if she don't like it, she can get out of my life and find herself an anti like herself and leave me alone. She is a great woman, but as long as she understands what I stated above, we will be fine. I've never known a woman that liked guns... bummer :(

Ghosty
10-07-2003, 06:48
Originally posted by jchast
I know what you are going through... My girlfriend of 4-1/2 years absolutely HATES guns. She is totally against me hunting and owning any type of gun. I basically told her that I've been shooting and hunting looooooooooong before I knew she existed and that would NOT change regardless of how she feels. She knows that firearms and hunting are what I do and she was alright with it for awhile, but lately she has been giving me 4x the trouble since I've been carrying my new G23. I finally had enough the other day and told her that if she don't like it, she can get out of my life and find herself an anti like herself and leave me alone. She is a great woman, but as long as she understands what I stated above, we will be fine. I've never known a woman that liked guns... bummer :(

;Q Sorry to hear it, dude. Kick her to the curb if she keeps ranting on about it. Then go find yourself a "real" woman, like the ones that hang out on here.

My wife is indifferent about guns. Doesn't really want anything to do with them herself (unless something scares the crap out of her)...but has no problem that I have them or carry them.

I'm slowly working on getting her to go shooting though. I need to get a Keltec 32 or something small for her to start with. My 9mm scared her. She pulled the trigger, and she freaked so bad she almost dropped my Glock in mud. ;T

Skyhook
10-07-2003, 06:55
My bride is a NRA member, CCW holder, Deer hunter, target shooter of respectable accomplishment. She also belongs to the Second Amendment Sisters and has a nice, small, gun collection.

Her profession demands she be deadly accurate with numbers and her bullseye work reflects that.

And, she is cuddly!

jchast
10-08-2003, 05:50
Originally posted by Ghosty
;Q Sorry to hear it, dude. Kick her to the curb if she keeps ranting on about it. Then go find yourself a "real" woman, like the ones that hang out on here.

My wife is indifferent about guns. Doesn't really want anything to do with them herself (unless something scares the crap out of her)...but has no problem that I have them or carry them.

I'm slowly working on getting her to go shooting though. I need to get a Keltec 32 or something small for her to start with. My 9mm scared her. She pulled the trigger, and she freaked so bad she almost dropped my Glock in mud. ;T

I would have been a little more than a little upset if that would have happened to my Glock. I tried to get my girlfriend to shoot a Browning Buckmark Camper .22 target pistol that I have. Basically, it was a waste of time as she said if I handed the gun to her, she would throw it as far as she could. I was like... you gotta be kidding me?┐?┐?┐?┐?┐ ;Q I was thinking to myself.... ya, throw my gun and I'll throw you right after it to pick it up... thats the first thing I thought, not the first thing I said! LOL I don't know why she wasted my time even going out with me that day to do something like that. I don't think there is any hope for her with guns... We'll have to see what happens... Man, now I need a beer to undepress myself...
;c :(

cliffw2000
10-11-2003, 18:58
My wife was against it untill her "best friend's" husband got one. Now she is okay with it. Go figure...

:cool:

Skyhook
10-12-2003, 06:10
One of my shootin' buds married a lawyer woman! , and she positively hates and despises anything to do with guns. Talk about walking in a minefield! Whenever I go to his place- infrequently, I might add- I get the 'dastardly gun-lover' look at least once and I know she thinks I am leading her man down the primrose path to moral decay.
I admire this guy's ability to hide his pro-gun activities and his guns from that woman and I find myself wondering how much longer that pair will be able to endure such a 'problem difference'.
Sounds like something for 'Dear Abby' or something, doesn't it?

Harlequin
10-12-2003, 08:39
My ex-wife hated guns. She isn't an ex because of it though. My new gf had a bad experience with an abusive ex of hers shooting himself and then trying to blame her for it. Punk. Anyway, I had to convince her that guns aren't so bad, since she'd have to get used to it if we were going to stay together.

When I'd decided how to go about doing this, I asked her to give me 5 minutes and an open mind. Unlike my ex-wife, she's very open minded which has helped our communication greatly.

I placed an electric drill on the table. I looked at it for a minute or so, walked around the table, and observed her reaction. When I noticed that she may be getting a little annoyed, I told her "This is a drill. It is a mechanical tool designed for a specific purpose. However, without a person to use it, it's completely worthless. You could leave it on this table until the end of time and it wouldn't do anything."

Then I took the drill away and placed a big kitchen knife on the table. I looked at it for a minute or so, walked around the table, and observed her reaction. When I noticed that she may be getting a little annoyed, I told her "This is a knife. It is a tool designed for a specific purpose. It can be used to hurt or even kill someone. However, without a person to use it, it's completely worthless. I could leave it sitting there until the end of time and it would never hurt anyone."

I then removed the knife and place my gun in it's place. I looked at it for a minute or so, walked around the table, and observed her reaction. She already knew what I was going to say, so after giving her the tool being worthless without someone to use it, I said "There's no reason to be afraid of a tool, and that's all a drill, a knife, or a gun is. It's the criminal using the gun that needs to be feared. I wouldn't want to defend us against a mugger using a gun with a kitchen knife or a drill. Would you?"

Discussion over. I've never heard anything since about carrying. She even mentioned once or twice about maybe getting one for herself. It might not work for everyone but it did for us.

LVSOCOM
10-20-2003, 16:25
<- Not married, 19yrs old, living at home while working full time for a family business. That said, my mother is afriad of guns and is unwilling to even handle or learn about them. She had a bad expeirence during her childhood (step father was a drunk and threatened her alot with one) and is still running from it. I've tried to talk to her about it, to get her to see that he was a piece of **** and it wasn't a product of the gun. Haven't gotten very far on the outside of her (the way she acts about them), but I know at least I put that thought in her head and maybe one day she'll to be able to let go of her fears. On the other hand, niether of my grandmothers have never been afraid of them, and it probably has something to do with the times they grew up in. Poissbly due to a simpler way of life and/or less glorification of gun violence on TV (didn't exist).

I dono, I'm done rambling tho.. lol

EDIT: Harlequin: I like the tact you used. Wish I had such an open minded audience all the time.

Lupine
11-15-2003, 14:58
The ones I'd think would be most opposed are the most excited at the prospect of going to the range with me.

Those who I'd think would be more open-minded have always thought my archery and plinking hobbies were stupid.

Go figure.

Amelia
11-15-2003, 19:56
I have found that is true for most of my hobbies (quilting, swimming, travel, etc.). Some folks think it's cool, others think it's a waste of time and money. I figure everyone is entitled to their opinions, as long as they don't infringe my rights.
:)

Tombstone
11-16-2003, 12:25
My better half doesn't mind my guns at all. In fact, if I've been really good she'll let me shoot her guns to, since she has just a many as I have.

Roland O'Gilead
12-07-2003, 20:28
Four experiences with women in my life are worth relating.

My mother, recently retired, took up pistol shooting as I found an interest in it. She used to shoot handguns and rifles a lot in her youth but now sticks to her S&W Airweight (which she likes for its weight and not its kick). She wants it mostly to go hiking alone in the mountains and not worry about animals or human animals.

One ex-girlfriend is indifferent. I was going to buy her a revolver for a graduation present but I decided not to since she did not indicate she would actually carry it or practice with it. Actually, judging from her cavalier behavior around an unloaded pistol in my apartment I think she may not be up to the responsibility. I had initally promised her a caliber equal to her MCAT score, whatever that may be. Thank goodness she got a 38!

Another ex-girlfriend despises them. Several fights came from mentioning that I was going to the store to buy some .22 ammo. This is not a rational distaste, however - it is probably totally due to the fact that her father (whom she hates to an extreme) kept guns and once fired one to scare away two strange men approaching her on their country property (she might have cause to be thankful). She wants to be a mother and says that she will not allow guns anywhere near her children (how she will enforce that without a gun I am not sure).

My current girlfriend is great. I took her shooting on an early date and she got hooked on it (she likes my Colt .380 Government for its size) despite witnessing a minor (but very stupid) accident resulting from a hangfire*. I will have my CCW soon and she is open to practicing what she would do if we were together and I had to exercise my permit. I think I will take her back to the range and rent some full-autos for us to have fun with on a future date. And she is a good shot.

*The Colt .380 is SA like its identical but bigger brother the 1911. I had told her that if she got any sort of malfunction she should calmly hand the gun to me while keeping it pointed downrange. After waiting about 45 seconds I decided to re-cock the hammer (STUPID) and fire again on the inactive cartridge. As I had the hammer halfway back the bullet (range reloads which I will never use again) finally ignited, crushing my thumb between the recoiling slide and the hammer. This managed to jam the gun pretty well (try this on your Glock if you cannot get it to jam!) but I had the sense of mind to unload and secure the gun before asking the rangemaster for a bandaid. This would be the second time in as many months that I managed to cut myself on a firearm.

What I Learned:
1 - Wait at least a minute or longer on hangfires, preferably longer.
2 - Exactly what dried blood looks like on stainless steel.

My mother decided after this incident that guns were once again dangerous. I pointed out to her that I had made a bigger wound on my hand playing acoustic bass the previous weekend that I had in my minor accident. She returned to reason.

Melissa Ann
12-07-2003, 21:46
guns arent' stupid. guns arent' dangerous. PEOPLE are stupid. PEOPLE are dangerous. at least some of them are.

glad you weren't badly hurt. glad your girlfriend wasn't scared away by the incident.

FWIW, i know of an incident similar to what happened to you - only the fella was shooting a rifle. when he fired the second round, blew the receiver into the back of his skull. another fella had an obstruction in his handgun and tried to blow the obstruction (bullet) out of the barrel with another round. gun blew up and buried the extractor in his face. when you have a malfunction, clear the weapon. that's all. clear the gun. and practice malfunctions and clearing your gun. have your girlfriend do the same. and both of you could benefit by taking a class by a reputable firearms instructor.

above all else, be safe.

Roland O'Gilead
12-08-2003, 13:57
Well, I certainly would not try to clear an obstruction with another bullet - which I knew was not the case in my instance. But I understand the point and appreciate the grisly reminders for proper safety.

I also think that the next time that I introduce someone to handguns I will use my father's revolver instead of a semiautomatic.

python1340
12-08-2003, 14:00
Once you take them out and let them shoot for themselves, they become fans.

Melissa Ann
12-08-2003, 14:29
I wasn't saying you would use another bullet - just pointing out the sort of mistakes I've seen and/or heard about. FWIW, the dude with the rifle wasn't a newbie to firearms - he was well-seasoned and worked with firearms professionally and daily. FWIW, I had the story a bit wrong, IIRC, he fired one round and the case came out very deformed. His buddy witnessed as the shooter said "that shouldn't be like that" and promptly loaded another round and pulled the trigger. That's when things went from bad to worse. He was someone who should have known better. It was a sad and tragic mistake that could have been avoided - sometimes we dont' think or get distracted or don't feel well or whatever - even the most experienced people. I just wouldn't want to see or hear about it happening to anyone else. We had friends on the range when it happened who administered first aid as best as they could considering the wound. When I got to the range, I saw folks with buckets, mops and bottles of bleach. Not a good sign on a shooting range. ;T

be safe

Jarhead
12-12-2003, 23:30
my wife being a Deputy Sheriff is comfortable with firearms but is not too pleased that i choose to carry all the time but does not give me much grief about it. She refuses to carry off duty or any other time unless specificly required to do so.

example:
we were walking through the mall the other day and i told her i would not go into the GAP with her because they had a sign posted in the window not allowing guns. She told me it was compleatly un-neccessary that i carry, even as we walked by a couple of horns that recognized both of us from work, and were making some disparaging commments. I don't know how to get though to her that our career choice is a dangerous one both on and off the job but she does not see it that way. The battle continues....

Melissa Ann
12-13-2003, 15:43
when there examples like this Luby's (http://www.geocities.com/jermil.geo/lubys.html) I don't understand how anyone could possibly think the average citizen shouldn't be carrying every day. it's not only our right, but it's our duty to protect ourselves and our loved ones. good luck people and be safe.

4GunsNow
12-13-2003, 21:06
When I first started posting here.. I wasn't much for Guns... Still have no desire to carry, but enjoy going to the range (when time permits)... ;g

hippy john
12-14-2003, 01:17
I honestly can't imagine dating someone who wouldn't at least tolerate guns. She wouldn't have to see them, but would know that they are with me, and in the house. It is so much better to date someone who goes with you to the ranges, shows, and has at least a passive interest in the things you are interested in. I take girls I date, and girls from work just about any time that I can. They have always had a good time doing it. A little fear at first from the mother of my girlfriend, but time seemed to work wonders on her too. She never went with, but didn't mind that her daughter did. Good times.
Whoever is with me for the long-haul, will be one who enjoys firearms. I just can't see myself trying to put up with the rolling eyes, sighing, and carrying on whenever a gun would be mentioned. Life is too short.

neon
12-20-2003, 17:23
My husband had to go on a business trip and I was afraid of being alone. He took me to a place to shoot and we rented a .45. I took to it right away. I loved it and talked him into buying one. We have been shooting ever since. We shot in matches together for years and both competed together. In those days they didn't have a womans class.

We took several classes at Gunsite. We took classes for the handgun, rifle, and shotgun. We both love to shoot all three. This has really brought us closer together as we spend so much time at the range.

Molly:)

John 4: 16,17,18,19
Jesus saith unto her, go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: for thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou are a prophet.

Tvov
12-20-2003, 17:30
Okay, neon, that is a heck of a signature. Is there a story behind that?

(If you have answered this before, I apologize, but this is the first time I've seen it...)

Aaron
12-21-2003, 01:01
My wife grew up with a father and brothers that hunted so I didn't have much to do to convince her how necessary guns are. I carry/take in vehicle(s) a gun almost anyplace that I travel. My wife at first was a little taken back with my concealed carry but then she got on-board as I am consistent in carrying when we go anywhere.

Before our son was born she would go plinking with me but she hasn't shot in a couple of years. Although she did get a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP about 18 months ago because she said "it looks cool". ;a However, I know that she won't hesitate to send some .357 Magnum 125 grain HydraShoks in a BG's direction should someone pose a threat to her or our child(ren) at home.

My mom, and both sisters (one is an M.D.) all dislike guns which is consistent with where they live -- California. The sad thing is that I took both sisters to an indoor gun range about 8-9 years ago where they each were able to shoot my Browning Hi-Power (quite well for 1st timers I might add) and yet they still don't like guns. ;Q Mom's a 60's liberal and bless her heart she'll never change.

I've had several opportunities to teach women at work (over the past 5 years) how to shoot guns as well as basic gun safety for pistols, shotguns, and rifles. Also, I taught the president of a campus sorority (when I was in college) how to shoot my Browning Hi-Power as well as gun safety. (Understand that was my ONLY handgun as I was a poor college student :)) Besides, I believe women can use the Browning Hi-Power very well due to it's narrow stock and that it's a good "pointing" gun.

It is always an honor to be "trusted" with this responsibility because IMHO too many men come across with the macho/"little lady" attitude and that turns women off from learning about guns. (At least from what I've been told by women...)

However, I had an EX-fiance that suggested that I store the gun safe in the garage of our house -- well that idea got overruled and I was happy to get out of that relationship! I'd rather be single than be in a relationship with a hoplophobe.

If I'm not mistaken, (LADIES...) don't many of the traditional women's magazines/media frown upon gun ownership? (i.e. Oprah, Rosie, Ladies Home Journal...)

Melissa Ann
12-22-2003, 08:14
Aaron,

If your wife hasn't shot in a couple years, would she be able to make those rounds do more than just fly in the BG's direction?? Would she be able to stop the threat? Hopefully, just seeing a gun drawn and pointed at him, or hearing a bullet whizz by his ear would make him turn and run, but it might give him confidence in her marksmanship, or lack thereof. Now that you have children, I would think it'd be even more important for her to go to the range to do some plinking or practice. I know that's how I'd feel if I had kids. I'd be even more adamant about going to the range. It's my duty to know that I can protect not only myself, but my babies as well. Just an idea. I'm glad she's for guns tho, and self-defense, tho I hope she never has need to use them for anything other than plinking and fun.

If I'm not mistaken, (LADIES...) don't many of the traditional women's magazines/media frown upon gun ownership? (i.e. Oprah, Rosie, Ladies Home Journal...)
Maybe that's why the only magazines you'll find in my house are filled with 9mm, 40s&w, or 45acp. ;f (well, I also have several issues of NRA's First Freedom, NRA's Women's Outlook, and Weekend Woodcrafts - and a few very old copies of LHJ that I bought for the crafts and recipes)

Melissa ;e

pck50
12-22-2003, 10:55
If My Wife Said Pete Don't Carry I'd Dump her not the Guns.
So obviousely she is totally with it when it comes too that.

Pete

Originally posted by MoonMan
My wife does not like guns.

On some level, she understands why I carry. She has accepted that I carry, and encourages me to get more training-- it makes her feel better. There seems to be a subtle change in the wind... Give me three or four more years, and I think I may get her to the range!

We have a mutual friend who is female. She is aware that I carry, but has never seen it. We have an unspoken don't ask/don't tell policy among us.

Aaron
12-22-2003, 12:41
Melissa,

Excellent point. My wife is pregnant so loud noises, lead, and Hoppes #9 are all out of the question for a while.

If she does deal with a BG, I figure that her New Jersey roots will kick in and she'd make Tony Soprano pround! ;f

Besides I just don't think my 15-month old quite has the motor skills to wield the .357 quite yet, but his screams could deafen the BG at about the same level of the gunshot itself.

Melissa Ann
12-22-2003, 22:49
ahhh... Aaron, point well taken. No, if she's pregnant - guns and such are good for her to stay away from. But when the kids are a bit older, would be much fun to get everyone shooting together. :) Best of luck to you and your growing family. :)

Aaron
12-23-2003, 15:27
Thank you. :)

bit_o_sweets
12-27-2003, 01:27
i use to be really interested in guns...until my hubby accidently shot off a 45 while i was sitting right next to him in the living room...it scared the crap out of me...not to mention i couldn't hear for a few minutes afterwards...now im a little timid when it comes to being around one...but my hubby collects guns so it's something i know im going to have to learn to deal with...im hoping this forum will help me feel more secure about handeling one

BoogerSnax
12-27-2003, 13:16
I'm jumping in without reading anything previous.
My wife really doesn't like having them around.
I THINK she will use the house gun if she has to.
but she is of the mind that we "shouldn't have to need" a gun.
I can respect that, but i know it's not the reality of the modern world.
I'm hoping that when she comes to the range and shoots for the first time that she will at least decide she's not scared of them. I'm hoping she will actually like them.

As for the husband who accidentally shot a .45 on the couch....
Um....HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU EVER EVER EVER LET SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN?1/!?!?!?!?

feetpiece
12-27-2003, 13:38
Originally posted by BoogerSnax
As for the husband who accidentally shot a .45 on the couch....
Um....HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU EVER EVER EVER LET SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN?1/!?!?!?!?

I was dropping the slide on my S/A TRP Operator when it slamfired. I had it pointed down and away from us when it happened. Not a pleasant experience to say the least but it reiterated to me the need for safe handeling of a firearm. I caught a .22 CCI stinger in the foot a couple of years back because my cousins friend was careless with a handgun.

MrsKitty
12-27-2003, 13:39
I am the only female I know that owns a firearm.

I can't get any of my female freinds to go shoot with me. But it is not because they are "afraid" of the big bad guns. They believe that they will never need to defend themselves??? Yeah, uh-huh. Ok. I hope they are all right, but you should always be prepared for everything you can prepare for too.

But the very few males who know that I own a Glock are really "curious" about my plastic pistol;f

Most of the females I know are damn good shots with rifles and shotguns, and handguns if daddy or a brother or uncle had one-growing up in this area learning to shoot is as much a part of growing up as learing to walk and learning to drive. However, shooting is mainly viewed as only necessary for hunting and then only during deer season;g

These people have no idea what fun they are missing:(

And they won't listen to me;t

MrsKitty
12-27-2003, 13:42
Originally posted by bit_o_sweets
i use to be really interested in guns...until my hubby accidently shot off a 45 while i was sitting right next to him in the living room...it scared the crap out of me...not to mention i couldn't hear for a few minutes afterwards...now im a little timid when it comes to being around one...but my hubby collects guns so it's something i know im going to have to learn to deal with...im hoping this forum will help me feel more secure about handeling one

One of my father's friends did this and sent a round into the coffee table right next to his wife;P

He missed her by less than six inches;g

If I was her (or you), I think I might have beat him with that gun;)

It wasn't the gun's fault--it was the carelessness of the person holding the gun. Don't blame the gun.

BoogerSnax
12-27-2003, 14:50
I'm sorry, But I just don't see the need to ever have one in the pipe, in the house, unless it's intended to be coming out of that pipe in very short order.
That's the part that gets me whenever I hear of someone accidentally shooting something in the home.

feetpiece
12-27-2003, 15:10
I'm sorry, But I just don't see the need to ever have one in the pipe, in the house, unless it's intended to be coming out of that pipe in very short order.
That's the part that gets me whenever I hear of someone accidentally shooting something in the home.

I was on my way out the door when it happend. I no longer keep a mag in or "one in the pipe" in the house. Mags and ammo are locked in a seperate case since that happened.

turbonatr
12-27-2003, 22:19
Forgive me for taking this thread off topic, but I would like to address the gun issue with pregnant women.

My girlfriend and I found out several months after she was pregnant that she WAS indeed with child. During that time, we went to the range very often and fired guns that ranged to .22s to my AR50 in 50BMG. Our range sessions were typically 5-6 hours of blasting. Needless to say, we were horrified when we found out she was pregnant. Not because we were having a baby, but how many thousands of rounds of lead we sent down range. Not only is the .50 tremendously loud, but the concussion from the blast is fierce enough to break windows if they are within 30 yards. We talked to the doctor about it and he said there was slim chance it had any effect on the baby. Of course, we were still very concerned. Besides, there was little chance the doctor knew how nasty the report from a 50BMG is.

As it turns out, Vincent is now 18 months old and is basically on a genius level, not to mention in perfect health. He was walking by 7 months and talking soon after. His vocabulary is 60+ words strong.

Now, I am not saying every pregnant woman out there should go buy a .50, a case of ammo and go nuts. Just something I thought you would find interesting.

Oh, BTW, my girlfriend is unquestionably Pro-Gun.;f

Aaron
12-27-2003, 23:42

I keep many loaded weapons in my house and when I carry concealed handguns they are always "ready to go". I hate to deviate from the original topic of this thread but I prefer to have my handguns loaded and ready to go at home or out in public.

I make mistakes like the rest of the human race but I prefer handguns ready to be fired so as to minimize the things that can go wrong when I least need them to go wrong. (Long guns are a different matter..) Some people do not like to handle certain guns (e.g. single action auto's like the Browning Hi-Power in "Condition One") and the simplicity of a revolver would be a good alternative choice to a semi-auto. (I love my revolvers!)

But since 99.99% of the preparation we, as gun owners, do to envision how/when/where we might actually (God forbid) have to use our guns is purely hypothesis, why would anyone place another obstacle in front of themselves for using their firearm in a defensive manner? Stated another way, why risk a jam, misfed round, or some other operational malfunction "in the heat of the moment" when you need your gun to work rather than having it (already) "good to go"?

Negligent discharges do happen and if you are around guns long enough (11 years of shooting for me), you may get lax on violating safe gun handling rules one single time. I'm not proud, but I did one time and launched a 125-grain .357 magnum bullet into my wall. ;J I was home alone and made the mistake of not visually-inspecting the cylinder before dry-firing. Five out of the six rounds fell out and I didn't count my rounds. Lazy? Stupid? Careless? Yes, Yes and Yes. ;L

(Just for your curious types, it was a 125 Federal JHP traveling at 1450 fps and it did NOT penetrate the wall because it entered at about a 35-40 angle. And YES it was very very very loud. ;T)

I learned my lesson and after sharing my story of stupidity with pro-gun cops, shooting instuctors, and other gun owners, I have found that I am in good company. I got lucky because I was pointing the gun in a safe direction and the bullet lodged in the wall. (Thankfully, I wasn't pointing at my foot ;Q and I don't do dry-firing when I'm not alone..)

Hopefully, every gun owner practices safe habits but Bit_O_Sweets, don't let someone else's accident discourage you from taking up a noble hobby such as firearms. Almost every "accidental discharge" occurs because some rule of gun safety was violated. Following the rules prevents injuries in the event that somebody does something stupid.

--Aaron

P.S. Welcome to the shooting sports Bit_O_Sweets!

Melissa Ann
12-30-2003, 14:29
Welcome to the forum Bit-o-Sweets!

If a gun went off next to me, and I wasn't expecting it, it would most certainly scare the crap out of me as well. ;G I think it would any one. Having said that, I also know that it happens to LOTS of people. I know at least a few LEO/former LEO and firearms instructors who've had similar things happen to them. There's a saying out there... "There are those shooters who have had an ND, and those who haven't - yet." or something to that affect. Don't let a mistake like that turn you from guns, shooting sports and the defense of your self and your loved ones. Be thankful that no one was hurt. Learn from it and move on.

As far as not keeping one in the chamber... if it hits the fan, I want my gun to be ready NOW. I highly doubt that a bad guy will listen to me when I tell him, "Can you hold on a second while I insert a magazine and rack the slide so I can shoot you before you rape me or snatch up my child, or kill me for the $1.58 in my purse?" Not gonna happen. If the gun's not ready to go, why bother carrying it at all? Unless you don't think of guns as a means of self-defense, but rather just a "toy" you take to the range to play with.

Sorry for the tone there, but I currently live in NJ and am unable to carry a gun to protect myself. I'm moving to PA in 2-3 weeks to change that. I hear so many people talk about their guns like they're toys, and while I play IDPA too, that gun is primarily a tool to protect myself and my loved ones from predators out there. After I move, I will carry a fully loaded gun, at all times. I refuse to be part of the flock. baaaaaaa. I refuse to be food.

Soap box mode off...
Melissa ;g

dgg9
12-30-2003, 14:33
Originally posted by Melissa Ann
I refuse to be food.

Then good thing you're exiting the refrigerator-for-predators in a few weeks.

BoogerSnax
12-30-2003, 14:39
Let me push your buttons a bit Melissa.
We were talking about having one in the chamber, in the house.
And even more so, while sitting on the couch.
But, the way I see it, if you're going to have to grab it in the home, you have time to pull the slide back.
Carry is different.
But hey, you're from Jersey, and we all know how jersey braods are. So feel free to snap your gum, swivel your head around, and flame me.

heh
heh.

Melissa Ann
12-30-2003, 14:50

But, B.S.,

If all guns are always loaded, AND the muzzle never covers anything i'm not completely willing to destroy AND I keep my finger off the trigger until my sights are on my target AND I am sure of my target (and what's beyond my target), then there should be no problem. Right? ;)

And even if I break one of those rules, it should be relatively ok. However, breaking two or more of those rules at the same time can be tragic.

Since ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded, there is no messing around with them. They do not cover ANYTHING or ANYONE unless I'm in fear of my life. Even when dryfiring - don't aim at the family pet, TV or light switch (I know experienced and respected shooters who have shot each of those during dryfire exercises. I know one gentleman who shot his light switch, went out replaced it, and promptly did it again!).

If someone breaks into my home, I will be needing that chambered round, in very short order. I don't want to have to fumble with racking the slide, inserting magazines, FINDING magazines, or worst case scenario... making my way to the safe, trying to get the combination right under pressure, opening the safe, fumbling for the keys to the trigger lock, unlocking the lock box with the magazines adn ammo, loading the magazine, inserting it, racking the slide, and oh... sorry, I'm dead now because my gun was "safe." Unfortunately for me, the gun was safe, but I wasn't. Nor were my now mutilated spouse who was forced to watch the bad guys rape and slaughter my children. It's not only my right to bear arms for my protection, it's my duty to protect my family. I'll keep that round chambered. You do what's right for you.

Off my soap box... again. ;)
Melissa

Amelia
12-30-2003, 14:56

If and when you ever need it, you'll want it "coming out of the pipe in very short order." That's true whether the emergency is inside your house or elsewhere. Period.

Melissa Ann
12-30-2003, 15:03
Let me push your buttons a bit Melissa.
We were talking about having one in the chamber, in the house.
And even more so, while sitting on the couch.
But, the way I see it, if you're going to have to grab it in the home, you have time to pull the slide back.
Carry is different.
But hey, you're from Jersey, and we all know how jersey braods are. So feel free to snap your gum, swivel your head around, and flame me.

heh
heh.

Push away. ;f

When I move to PA, I will get my carry permit, buy a gun and I will carry it. Even in my home. If it's not within very close reach, it's not very much use to me. When I'm sitting on the couch, I will be very comforted knowing that my 1911 is right there with me, or a J-frame in my pocket. It might not be very comfortable at first, but I'll get used to it. Besides, it's supposed to comforting, not comfortable, right. ;)

And... I'm an Air Force brat - not a Jersey broad. Born in Denver, lived in Montana, Michigan and North Dakota. Jokingly, I adopted the nickname "Joysee Goyel" a while back for email, but I'm far from your typical Jersey Girl. I don't have big hair, I don't snap my gum, and I don't swivel my head like a bobble-head doll. I moved here a long time ago to be near family. I now have a job in PA and have been anxiously awaiting the time when I'd be ready and able to move out of NJ. The time has come. yay!

Melissa :)

BoogerSnax
12-30-2003, 15:04
You don't have any kids do you?
If you're going to keep one chambered, great.
In fact, I would too.
But I've got a 3 year old now.
So, for the time being, it remains loaded, up high, easy to get to, and not chambered.
I can't see working a safe under pressure, unless it's one of those thumbprint ones.

I dryfire at the TV all the time. I could keep one chambered if it weren't for the 3 year old.
However, what kind of idjit puts one into the coffee table next to his wife? Someone's "playing" with their gun if that happens.
It seems that many people shouldn't be allowed to have one if they do something like shooting out the light switch.

Melissa Ann
12-30-2003, 15:22
No, I have not been blessed with children. I have 6 nieces and nephews. And at Christmas, we were all at my parent's house. I know Dad locked most of his guns in a gun case, and then locked the room the gun case is in. I also know he kept 1 pistol out, and loaded, and holstered, on him. Safely tucked away and concealed.

When there are children in the house, curious children, I understand things change. And that's ok. Sounds like you've got a plan, and a good one. And that's better than a lot of people, I think. And if I ever have children in the house, I may, and probably will, re-evaluate how things are (or will be) in my house.

Re: people dryfiring and shooting things in the house, it happens. It shouldn't but it does. The one fella who shot the light switch once, holstered his carry gun, went to the depot or wherever to buy materials to make the repairs, came home, repaired it, and forgot he was loaded up, and commenced to dryfiring again. It happens. One fella was dryfiring at his TV. A friend came over, to show him his new gun - identical to the first guy's. After a few minutes of gun fondling, picked one up, failed to check the chamber, took careful aim at the TV and went to dryfire. Bang! An expensive lesson learned the hard way.

I've not had it happen to me. I imagine it will someday. I hope not, but it probably will. I think the only way for me to guarantee that it doesn't happen is for me to never dryfire again. ;) Just so you know... I'm pretty careful about it - I unload the gun and leave the ammo in the safe, fill a magazine or two with orange snap caps. Go to the family room. Find a spot on the wall, practice reloads and such for a while, then back to the safe I go. If I get up during the dryfire session for some reason, I make sure to do a chamber check when I get back, even if the gun's not been out of my sight and I know that I know that I know no one's touched it.

Best wishes to all for a safe, happy and healthy new year!
Melissa :)

bachchoy
12-30-2003, 15:27
;g

BoogerSnax
12-30-2003, 15:33
Actually, my wife is still scared of the house gun.
I figure if she's scared, let's keep the G30 instead of the G17.

She knows how to push the magazine in, and how to dry fire. She's never chambered a round, nor fired. And I think she might not be able to use it if I'm not home and it's needed.
Hopefully, a promised trip to the range will change how she feels about it all.

Melissa Ann
12-30-2003, 15:38
Bachchoy - way cool and yes you did. :)

Boogersnax - I wish you and your family well. Good luck with the range trip. I hope that goes well too. There IS hope. The first time I ever held a handgun as an adult was in May 2001. Now I'm hooked!! It could happen to her too. ;)

Take care,
melissa

randomaxsurplus
12-31-2003, 20:41
I love guns myself. I think every Female should learn how to defend herself with a gun or any other means. I have a couple and I was raised around guns. They have been a part of my life since I was born. I am all for them.

Smiles007
01-12-2004, 22:21
I am a single guy, but have several close female friends. One of them will probably get her CHL soon and all of the others ask if I have my pistol with me whenever we go out somewhere. As for potential marriage partners, being at least tolerant of my gun hobby and carrying is a must. Assuming I get married I would of course prefer that she carry as well. After all, the "white knight" can't be everywhere at once and it would be nice to know that we could back each other up if need be.

jrad38
01-15-2004, 06:10
My wife grew up with her dad,s guns in a display case full of guns. she knew i collected guns before we were married,I own lots of guns (all kinds) I hunt, just took my son on his first hunt this year (he killed a buck and a doe), she shoots a ruger sp 101 with full magnum loads,she shoots my 1911, and today she'll shoot my glock 27.we grew up in Texas, where guns are a part of our states history of freedom, and she believes in freedom of gun ownership, All in All, shes a pretty good girl.;? p.s. when i called her from the lease and told her about our sons first buck........she cried for him, she was so happy

c-mama
01-18-2004, 16:56
My dad had guns while I was growing up but I never shot them. I almost went deer hunting with him, but chickened out at the last minute. I never thought anything about the guns one way or another.

My husband got interested in guns when he inherited one from his grandfather a few years ago I again didn't think much of it one way or another. He's been collecting them slowly ever since. I still have not been out shooting.

But on Thursday we had some free time with only one kid with us and we went to the gun shop to see if some transfer papers came in for his trade. I was looking at the guns there and I believe I was bit by the bug. I spent all night on GlockTalk and all weekend as well. Since I'm pregnant, I'll hold off going to the range, however, the gun show is coming in March (I'm due in April) and he and I are planning on going and I'll apply for my CCW there. And have lots of fun looking around. I'm really very excited about it.

As for my friends, I don't talk about it with them. I think they probably wouldn't understand my new interest. If asked, I'll talk about it, but right now I've got GlockTalk and hubby Scott. ;Q

Lilo9mm
01-20-2004, 23:53
I have never had the desire to carry a gun much less own one up until I married my husband. He has taught me about gun safety and he has taught me how to fire a gun and everything else that goes along with the responsibilities of owning/carrying a firearm.

It's funny because when my parents found out that I purchased a gun (Springfield XD9mm)they had a fit. It was mainly my mom because she was so against me owning one. She practically disowned me because of it. She is kind of a hypocrit because my dad owns guns gallore.Being an ex LEO, he did not really have the problem. He was sticking to my mom's side just to avoid a fight. He was more concerned about me knowing about gun safety and how to use it(I have completed the gun safety course, wanting to expand my horizons though if you know what I mean.....). I would like to take more safety courses on rifles and shotguns. I am still leary about firing a shotgun. I figure if I am going to own one I need to get over that fear. My main fear is the kick.

Anyways, it is too bad that some of you have the misfortune of having to deal with someone that is totally against guns. I have decided to start my collection with a WaltherP99. It is totally comfortable and easy to take apart and I was told it is a very reliable gun. It conceals easilly also. Just my 2 cents in case someone was interested.... ;Q

seb
01-25-2004, 20:56
Hope you don't mind me responding to this one, being a female and all. Went to lunch today with 3 girlfriends, topic of conversation was ohio's laws on carrying guns. They were totally against it, their main concern was that it would drawl out more violence.I informed the other females at the table that they need more knowledge about guns and that being able not to carry, would'nt help with the problems we have with the nuts who decide to abuse the our rights as citizens of America. Having a friend who has allowed me to enjoy pistol shooting with him and my 3 sons who also enjoy hunting, I believe it is our every right to carry if we see fit to do so.