Alrighty, question for the ladies.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty, question for the ladies..

Dog Off Leash
08-15-2003, 04:43
Ok gals, this is kinda one of those relationship-type questions. It's something that's been kicking my behind for a few years now.

What is the deal with women and the answers "You're like a brother to me", or "we're such good friends" when you decide to ask a gal out on a date?

Is it some sort of cop-out or what??

I mean, hell, if we're such good friends, wouldn't that be a *good* thing?

Just kinda sorta REALLY confused
Phil

BikerGoddess
08-15-2003, 08:59
Sounds like a men's issue to me...

I can only speak for myself, but I know within about 5 minutes of meeting a guy if he's going to 'get anywhere' or not. There are a lot of really nice guys out that that make great friends, but not great boyfriends.

So, while I've never said anything like that, I'm guessing that anyone who does is trying to tactfully say she's not physically attracted to you.

Personally, I want it all. The comraderie and the fireworks. I've dated some guys that were exactly what I wanted in a mate, except there was no chemistry. I couldn't live like that, so they're gone.

One other thing, it sounds like you're waiting WAY too long to ask someone out...

Laura

P.S. It's not a good thing if I tell a guy he's like a brother to me ;)

Gary F
08-16-2003, 00:34
;Q ".... you are like a brother to me, or is it that you are like my best gay male friend?? you are such a good friend. i feel very safe with you. if you promise to pretend that you don't want to jump my bones, i'd love to talk to you at length, and in nauseating detail, about my latest sociopathic boyfriend & how hot i get when he mistreats me ..."
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT IT'S A MALE ISSUE! WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SAY THAT??? LMAO .... ;B
peace, gary

BikerGoddess
08-16-2003, 05:49
Originally posted by Gary F
;Q ".... you are like a brother to me, or is it that you are like my best gay male friend?? you are such a good friend. i feel very safe with you. if you promise to pretend that you don't want to jump my bones, i'd love to talk to you at length, and in nauseating detail, about my latest sociopathic boyfriend & how hot i get when he mistreats me ..."
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT IT'S A MALE ISSUE! WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SAY THAT??? LMAO .... ;B
peace, gary Well, because I'm a woman and I've never had that problem.

Besides, you guys are the ones who put up with it.

Laura

08-19-2003, 03:39

confused
08-21-2003, 01:05
Originally posted by Dog Off Leash
What is the deal with women and the answers "You're like a brother to me" If she is from Arkansas then it means that she wants to get married, or at least sleep with you. If she is not from Arkansas, you can claim that you are and that is how you interpret it. Lets see how she reacts.

On a more serious note, when I get that, I agree with the woman and then stop putting any effort into the friendship. If she was honest about her feelings, she will put in the effort to keep up the friendship. If she does not, it means she lied to you and you are better off without her in your life.

In all my years, only one woman has actually put in the effort to maintain and develop the friendship at that point. Years later we are great friends and routinely talk to each other to debrief on our dates etc. And the truth which I now know but was unwilling to accept in the begining is that we would have never lasted in a dating relationship.

GirlWithAGlock
08-22-2003, 19:16
I guess it's true what they say...men can never be just friends with a woman.;) ;f

Rhonda
08-23-2003, 20:47
Sounds like a "I'm not interested" answer to me. ;g

SIGlock
08-28-2003, 22:13
Originally posted by Dog Off Leash
Is it some sort of cop-out or what??

No. It's just a nice way to tell you to GET LOST !;f

Blue Nunn
09-03-2003, 18:32
If I were to tell a male counterpart that, "He was like a brother to me," most assuredly I do not have anything but a "platonic" relationship in mind!

The same goes for, "We're good friends," the reason most women take this tact is because the fellow in question may be "pushing" to hard to start a spark where there's none!

I've No Problem speaking my mind and being straight forward to tell some one, " I'm flattered that you've asked! I'm not interested in a ralationship right now." Or "I honestly don't see you and I in a relationship."

stiletto raggio
09-06-2003, 21:32
Stick to guns: they are cheaper, more reliable, low-maintenence, always ready to rock and are quiet unless you want them to make noise. Plus you can have as many as you want without any of them getting jealous.

Seriously, I concur. Move on.

S2nd
09-08-2003, 01:38
I think it's just her way of politely saying she's not interested. In my time on this planet, I have been turned down softly and I have been put down hard, and believe me that it feels better when she's polite. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, try again elsewhere.

Side note, a really funny comedian I heard talked about this:
"You know what really kills me? When a woman says, 'I really like you... as a friend.' You know what that's like? That's like going into a job interview and having them say, 'Wow! This is a really great resume! You've got the right credentials, you've got the experience we're looking for, we love your attitude, you're perfect for this job! And you know what? We're not going to hire you! No, no. We'll probably hire someone less qualified, who shows up late, and has a drinking problem. Now, we're not going to hire you, but is it okay if we call you from time to time to complain about the person we do hire?' " ;a