Help!!!!!!!with my laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!with my laptop

APOLLO
09-11-2003, 06:41
My wife has a Dell Latitude laptop she has not used in about a year and she forgot her password to get in. Is there a way to by pass this and reset her computer. The computer store she bought it from is out of business so they can't help. Anybody have a solution. Thanks in advance.

donspag
09-11-2003, 06:42
What OS is it XP?

HerrGlock
09-11-2003, 06:46
There was another thread on this a while ago. We posted some programs that will change the password for the Admin to a blank password and the links were deleted. I tend to agree with that.

Do a search on http://groups.google.com/ and use "forgot windows admin password" and see what others have to say on this subject. There are many, many ways to skin this cat.

DanH

APOLLO
09-11-2003, 06:52
It is Windows 2000 Professional NT

donspag
09-11-2003, 06:55
Try loging in as administrator with a blank password or password as the password. Allot of times PCs are setup with a blank administrator password which really isn't to secure but comes in handy at a time like this.

If you can get in as administrator, you can reset your wifes password.

Don

APOLLO
09-11-2003, 07:07
Originally posted by donspag
Try loging in as administrator with a blank password or password as the password. Allot of times PCs are setup with a blank administrator password which really isn't to secure but comes in handy at a time like this.

If you can get in as administrator, you can reset your wifes password.

Don
No good Don it does not work thanks anyway.

donspag
09-11-2003, 08:05
Here is a link to a password recovery disk that may help:

http://www.devhood.com/tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=540

Don

DonL
09-11-2003, 22:29
If its a bios password, she needs to be hypnotized so she can remember...otherwise...its junk.

HerrGlock
09-12-2003, 02:30
If its a bios password, she needs to be hypnotized so she can remember...otherwise...its junk.

Nope. Take the CMOS battery out and go to dinner or to bed. In the morning, put it back in and boot. Everything, the size hard drive, RAM, and password, will be reset and you'll have all kinds of errors that will resolve when you get into setup.

DanH

DonL
09-12-2003, 05:42
Wow, just got schoooled,....thanks. Is that battery hard to access on a laptop??

HerrGlock
09-12-2003, 05:46
Is that battery hard to access on a laptop?

Sometimes. I know, poor answer but true. Some of them are soldered and those are a bear unless you're comfortable with soldering on a circuit board (thin solder gun, take your time.)

Some are plug in with the same battery type and plug as a cordless phone's battery, just unplug.

You'll have to take the thing apart, though. As with the rest, take your time and find all the screws before you start yanking. Take batteries out, and all the covers off that you can before you start, a lot of times they hide screws under covers and behind batteries.

DanH

Aeolus
09-12-2003, 15:48
I don't know about Dell laptops but on a Gateway the thing is in a battery clip on the underside of the MOBO which requires you to remove every single component from the laptop and then unscrew the mobo from the bottom of the now empty guts of the laptop. ;g There are BIOS programs out there that can be run from a floppy which will do the same thing as removing the battery without all the fuss of taking apart a laptop, one of the most unfun (that a word?) activities you will ever experience.

/edit: Are we talking BIOS password or are you getting to the Windows login screen?

Yar
09-12-2003, 16:13
quote from dell site

You must remove your Keyboard and then remove the screws holding the Palmrest/Touch Pad assembly. Then spring the Palmrest up enough to remove the CMOS Battery from under the Leftside. There is a pair of wires and a plug which plugs into the mainboard, just in front of the Connector for the Touchpad. The Battery pack is encased in green Plastic and is about 2.5" long . I suggest strongly that you download and print the Service Manual for the CP/CPi before you start.

link to thread on dell talk (http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_bios&message.id=7420)

donspag
09-12-2003, 16:42
Appolo must have abandoned his post. Seems to be posting all over the place elsewhere on GlockTalk.

It would have been nice to know the outcome of his problem and to whether or not it was the bios or win2k password that was the problem.

At least everyone now knows how to fix the problem whichever it was.

Don

MikeG22
09-12-2003, 19:51
if it is a bios password call dell and you will read them some numbers that you see as it boots up and then they will eventually tell you a one time login that will let you login and disable the password in the bios. Had to do that on a latitude once that a stupid professor set and promptly forgot.

If it's windows google for "ntpasswd" and that should get you to an amazing free program by some norwegian guy. It's saved a lot of time fixing client machines when you do something like remove them from the domain and no-one knows the admin password that the machine was origionally setup with.

David_G17
09-13-2003, 10:57
if it is a BIOS password, you can reset a jumper on the motherboard, and clear the password. this is true for all BIOS passwords by all manufacturers.

you can call Dell, take it to a computer repair shop, or use google to find specs for your motherboard.

APOLLO
09-15-2003, 07:15
Originally posted by Aeolus
I don't know about Dell laptops but on a Gateway the thing is in a battery clip on the underside of the MOBO which requires you to remove every single component from the laptop and then unscrew the mobo from the bottom of the now empty guts of the laptop. ;g There are BIOS programs out there that can be run from a floppy which will do the same thing as removing the battery without all the fuss of taking apart a laptop, one of the most unfun (that a word?) activities you will ever experience.

/edit: Are we talking BIOS password or are you getting to the Windows login screen?

Windows login screen.

APOLLO
09-15-2003, 07:18
Originally posted by donspag
Appolo must have abandoned his post. Seems to be posting all over the place elsewhere on GlockTalk.

It would have been nice to know the outcome of his problem and to whether or not it was the bios or win2k password that was the problem.

At least everyone now knows how to fix the problem whichever it was.

Don

Don I appriciate everyones help, but I been away. It is a windows login password. Thank guys for your help. I will keep you all posted.

fastvfr
09-15-2003, 16:24
I've done it with an XP boot disk.

Just go in and get a DOS prompt. Then delete the contents of the password file.

Just in case...you tried booting into Safe Mode yet?

Panday
08-18-2004, 21:43
Another good reason to make 2 partiotions in your HD. Put OS and all software in one drive, and all data/files in the other. When something screws up and you cant get in, just format the system drive and reinstall everything.

gudel
08-18-2004, 21:50
wow, this thread is almost a year old! ;f