The Allure of the 1911 Single Stack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Allure of the 1911 Single Stack

Alexii
10-08-2003, 20:52
This had to happen sooner rather than later. I love this gun. I don't care what the detractors say about it being a relic of the dinosaur era. I have been reading an ungodly amount of material about this gun for 6 years now plus an almost daily up close examination of a WWII G.I. sidearm of an ancestor. Had no problem taking it apart and putting it back together again several times just for the heck of it. It's a confidence builder when you know you can disassemble, clean, maintain, replace parts, and assemble your pistol yourself.

Problems? I've encountered problems that wouldn't have occurred in the first place had the correct magazine and ammo been used. I've also learned that the less you tinker with the gun, the better off you'll be. I know one guy who welded the grip safety in place to make it more "shootable". One night he was so drunk and was on his way home. He removed his gun from his waist prior to entering his pick-up, not noticing he accidentally wiped down the safety in doing so. With his finger on the trigger, he created a very nice hole on the floor of his Frontier, and a serious gash on his lower left leg. At this instance, the alcohol level on his body evaporated in an instant. It could've turned a hell of a lot worse. He probably violated almost all of the safety rules, but what concerns us here is the dangerous modification of equipment. John Moses Browning knew what he was doing when he put these safeties in place.

This gun also has a history with us Filipinos. It was first used against our Moro brothers in 1912. I'd warrant a guess that the 1911 was designed for us (though we're at the muzzle end;f ) when the Americans' .38s fail to stop these tenacious fighters.

I'm getting one as soon as the political scene stabilized (read: after the elections) and assuming we don't elect a President who's dumb enough to think that guns are bane to peace and order.

Your thoughts, gentlemen.

darwin25
10-08-2003, 21:47
I too would like to have a Single Stack 1911 for carry as I have previously owned one. Its a WWII Ithaca GI 1911.

I agree that the more one does modifications with his gun, the more dangerous it is. I think that one should only have a reliability work with his gun done by a good gunsmith. That's it. I have no problems owning factory stock pistol as long as it is completely reliable and have serviceable sights.

I like the Cocked and Locked carry offered by the 1911. Right now, I already earned enough money to buy me a new gun and seriously making a choice between a Tanfoglio .45(if I can find one or a mid-size SS 1911 Armscor or RIA. Whatever I get, I'll be carrying it only in C&L mode. But I'll be delaying my purchse untill the election has passed.

I would like to add that IMO, all single action pistols, 1911 included, all Selective DA/SA pistols without a decocker, CZs and clones included, should be carried Cocked and Locked. I do not approve of decocking these pistols by pressing the trigger while the thumb assists the hammer back to its uncocked position. One slip of the thumb is all it takes to have an AD. I have one experience of an AD doing just exactly that with my S&W Model 10. Bullet richocheted around the room 3 times.

Isn't it flattering that while the 1911 .45 ws concieved to use against us Filipinos, the martial arts, called Kali, used by our Moro brothers against US servicemen at that time is now considered the world's best real world martial art? A 1911 .45 and the martial art that has caused the need for such a pistol. Very good combination for self-defense, isn't it? ;f

Eye Cutter
10-08-2003, 23:40
sabi ko na nga ba nakuha ko rin kiliti ni Alexii, e!!!

I have a Para-Ord P16-40 and Bul M5 hi-cap .45 but I don't have a SS 1911 yet.

As they say, if it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy, so my first choice is a Colt Series 70. But since Colts are priced a lot higher than the other brands, I'd gladly settle for one. Probably a Norinco, Armscor or Imperial Defence (distributed ng PB Dionisio and I can get a good discount)! Magandang gawin project pistol 1911. Very easy to get all the accessories and parts. Like I said in the other thread, I want to build a SS 1911 similar to an Ed Brown Custom Classic, Springfield TRP or the Les Baer Concept pistols.

shoot safe and keep on packin'... but I won't trade in my beloved G22 just yet!

^c

Alexii
10-09-2003, 00:06
Hehehe-- gusto ko naman gayahin yung Thunder Ranch Pistol ni Les Baer based on the New Rollmark Colt Series 80. I read sometime in the past about Clint Smith's choice on parts and specifications and I mostly agree with choices he made. He even explained why particular parts are better for defense over some.

I still prefer the Series 70 over the 80 though.;)

Saruman
10-09-2003, 00:32
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
As they say, if it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy, so my first choice is a Colt Series 70. But since Colts are priced a lot higher than the other brands, I'd gladly settle for one. Probably a Norinco, Armscor or Imperial Defence (distributed ng PB Dionisio and I can get a good discount)! Magandang gawin project pistol 1911. Very easy to get all the accessories and parts. Like I said in the other thread, I want to build a SS 1911 similar to an Ed Brown Custom Classic, Springfield TRP or the Les Baer Concept pistols.

doc, ithaca ko di ba papasa sayo?? hehehe;f ;f

revo
10-09-2003, 01:12
I shoot my Glocks more than any of my other handguns
but the reality is that no other handgun (Glocks
included) can outshoot a well-tuned 1911 pistol.

I have a bunch of 1911 pistols and among them are
two Series 70 Colts. One of them, a Colt Combat
Commander. is such a joy to shoot and play with.

mc_oliver
10-09-2003, 01:45
Simple lang pangarap ko. Either Armscor o Norinco na 1911 SS, sana mahulog mula sa langit kahit tamaan ako sa ulo. ;f

I realized I didn't really need to sell my 1911 SS para makakuha ng Armscor widebody. Sayang. Next project ko 'to, pang-laro and carry.

doctabako
10-09-2003, 05:40
Guys, can you suggest a good gunsmith,preferably one that does good work without costing an arm and a leg. I do prefer my guns stock but ever since I succumbed to the allure of my polymer pistols(Glock 30 and USP45), my Norinco 1911 has been neglected and I've sort of decided to dress it up(the only part I've replaced is the cheap plastic grips). Its a very reliable piece and hasn't failed me, but you know how it is with us gun lovers:)

New_comer
10-09-2003, 06:07
If I were to get a keeper SS 1911, I'd choose the STI Trojan
over Colt

I've read a lot of flak about the latter, most were QC issues... ;g

But I can settle for the IDS Ranger if resources are tight. ;)

homogenizer
10-09-2003, 06:27
Aahh, the 1911 single stack, if my funds permits I like to get one next year, probably an Armscor brand. ;e "tangkilikin ang produktong Pinoy!"

Eye Cutter
10-09-2003, 08:51
Originally posted by doctabako
Guys, can you suggest a good gunsmith,preferably one that does good work without costing an arm and a leg. I do prefer my guns stock but ever since I succumbed to the allure of my polymer pistols(Glock 30 and USP45), my Norinco 1911 has been neglected and I've sort of decided to dress it up(the only part I've replaced is the cheap plastic grips). Its a very reliable piece and hasn't failed me, but you know how it is with us gun lovers:)

cosmetic upgrades, custom parts, one-off fabrications and general gunsmithing I go to Tony Pascual's shop. Slide-to-Frame and Barrel fitting kay Mang Delfin ng First Option sa West Ave.

doctabako
10-09-2003, 10:29
Eye Cutter,
I got to talk to Mr. Pascual last gun show and he does seem to know his craft, if I remember what he said correctly, his shop is near Welcome Rotonda right? Here in Batangas, I've heard some shooters talk about a certain gun smith (not sure how you spell it)named Metrillo? or Met Rillo or something that sounds like that who lives somewhere near Paranaque, is he any good? Thanks for the reply, will check them out one of these days:)

rhino465
10-09-2003, 12:09
Ah, finally!

If I'm awake and not in the shower, I have at least one 1911-pattern gun on my person. If I'm asleep, they are beside me.

John M. Browning was clearly a genius and the 1911 was his greatest work!

The Key Reasons Why 1911s Rule!

1. The trigger . . . easiest to shoot well
2. Can be adapted to just about any hand size
3. Rugged (I have one that had close to a 250K rounds
through it BEFORE I bought it ... a customized Colt)
4. Reliable . . . once you get one working, it will really run.
5. Inherent accuracy
6. Easy to carry and conceal because they are thin

I could go on!

Eye Cutter
10-09-2003, 16:56
Eye Cutter,
I got to talk to Mr. Pascual last gun show and he does seem to know his craft, if I remember what he said correctly, his shop is near Welcome Rotonda right? Here in Batangas, I've heard some shooters talk about a certain gun smith (not sure how you spell it)named Metrillo? or Met Rillo or something that sounds like that who lives somewhere near Paranaque, is he any good? Thanks for the reply, will check them out one of these days:)

From the Welcome Rotonda, turn at Mayon street and left at either P. Florentino or Dapitan. Baco st. is the 5th St. from Mayon.

I don't know where the shop of Mr. Metrillo is.

paltik45
10-09-2003, 18:45
Eye Cutter,

Before hand I would like to inform you that I AM NOT CONNECTED OR RELATED TO THIS SHOP. When I just a green apple in the shooting community I used to hang around outdoor shooting ranges back there in Laguna. Since I only got a very thin budget for this sport, it motivates me to do a lot of asking around specialy the TOP shooters. They pointed me to the METRILLO BROTHERS at Merville, Paranaque. They are customer oriented gunsmith and they priced their services pretty reasonably. I really missed their work specially the slide fitting and glides like a glass. ;f I learned a lot of things from them and I've been using it here in the USA on my own pistols. Custom pistol work here can couse you an ARM AND LEG plus your house.:)
One last word STAY AWAY FROM ART LANTIN hangang pang-display lang ang mga baril nya. But if you want your gun to be an expensive paper weight he is the right guy.;e

JuDGe
10-09-2003, 19:31
Originally posted by paltik45
One last word STAY AWAY FROM ART LANTIN hangang pang-display lang ang mga baril nya. But if you want your gun to be an expensive paper weight he is the right guy.;e

Grabe nga ang pricing sa Lantin.... OVER!;f

mc_oliver
10-09-2003, 20:12
I was suppose to try Metrillo din kasi mukhang okay yung trigger work nila sa FEG ng officemate ko. However, meron ako'ng kilala na isang open shooter na nagpagawa yata from the ground up (kilala rin ni Ivan 'to). Masama experience nya raw.

And since yung multi-awarded;f 1911 ko eh gawa ni Col Bayang, dun na rin uli ako kay Col nagpagawa for my recent widebody investment. Besides mas malapit pa sa akin.

;)

doctabako
10-09-2003, 23:52
Thanks a lot guys, as usual you've been a big help. My apologies to Alexii for this intrusion on his thread "nakisingit lang". :)

jasonub
10-10-2003, 02:12
i love my 1911, its the only pistol i have right now.

Ill rebuy an hk usp45 when we can carry pistols again.
My 1911 has a 1.5 pound pull or so:)

jasonub
10-10-2003, 02:16
ooopss i dont have a single stack:) :) :) my 1911 is double stacked and for competitions only

mc_oliver
10-10-2003, 02:30
Originally posted by jasonub
ooopss i dont have a single stack:) :) :) my 1911 is double stacked and for competitions only
Dude, what you have is an abomination of the original all-steel 1911 design. ;f;f A beautiful abomination I might add...;f

Good luck bukas.

Alexii
10-10-2003, 04:03
Thanks a lot guys, as usual you've been a big help. My apologies to Alexii for this intrusion on his thread "nakisingit lang". :)

Hey no problem, doc.;f Learned valuable info on your "intrusion". ;f

antediluvianist
10-10-2003, 23:23
1. I read in a book on the 1911's history that it was the U.S. Army, not John Moses Browning, who insisted on the grip safety. Note the other Browning-designed guns which do NOT have a grip safety.

2. The .45 round that the Americans switched to to combat our Moro brothers was actually the ".45 Long Colt", the revolver round. Previous to that, the U.S. army had been using the .38 Colt and it was that round which was found to be insufficient to stop the Moros. The .45 Long Colt was effective, and the U.S. army insisted on a .45 diameter round also for its official auto-loader, the eventual 1911. So ultimately, yes, the 1911's caliber was a result of the Moros' toughness.

3. I used to have an Armscor hi-cap 1911, and I have nothing against the 1911. Probably any collection of handguns should contain one. But it simply is not as reliable in terms of feeding and extraction as some of the more modern guns, which learned from the 1911's problems and changed their designs to eliminate those problems.
Note, for example, that a number of the higher-priced .45's have external extractors.

But, if a particular 1911 works well enough- and unfortunately that usually takes some gunsmithing - then let's count our blessings. as Jeff Cooper said , you use a 1911 for the cartridge, and you use
9mm. to get the guns that fire it. ;c

Mayor
10-11-2003, 01:59
I have a series 80 Gold Cup Trophy and a series 80 Gov't , both stainless. The Trophy is a veeery sweet gun to shoot. One of the best out-of-the-box guns. Ive just kept my Trophy in its box and am just waiting for my son to be old enough to shoot, so i can give it to him. I also carry my S80 Gov't , aside from my G17. The glock stays in the car, while i have my .45 almost wherever i can take it. With two guns always with me, i can be ready to shoot my .45 when i need accuracy and stopping power, while i have my glock 17 when i need the advantage of capacity and the spray-and-pray system:)

Single Stack
Colts do cost a lot nowadays. Series 70's(if you can still find one) go for as much as 80k-85k. Series 80's go for about 60k-70k. The 1991A1s would go for about 50k-55k. Colts are still one of the best guns around, but there are tons more manufacturers who rival, if not surpass a Colts performance:

(in no particular order)
Norinco
Armscor
Charles Daly
Springfield
Les Baer
Bul
Kimber
Rock Island
Wilson Combat
Llama
and recently, even Smith and Wesson has joined the fray

all these guns can perform very well, with or without the custom modification one desires. :)

For more 1911 info, just go to www.m1911.org

neil_croox
10-11-2003, 02:35
mayor

di gumagana yung link:)

Mayor
10-11-2003, 02:42
whoops, edited it. it's www.m1911.org

Allegra
10-11-2003, 07:14
Originally posted by Alexii
This had to happen sooner rather than later. I love this gun. I don't care what the detractors say about it being a relic of the dinosaur era. I have been reading an ungodly amount of material about this gun for 6 years now plus an almost daily up close examination of a WWII G.I. sidearm of an ancestor. Had no problem taking it apart and putting it back together again several times just for the heck of it. It's a confidence builder when you know you can disassemble, clean, maintain, replace parts, and assemble your pistol yourself.

Problems? I've encountered problems that wouldn't have occurred in the first place had the correct magazine and ammo been used. I've also learned that the less you tinker with the gun, the better off you'll be. I know one guy who welded the grip safety in place to make it more "shootable". One night he was so drunk and was on his way home. He removed his gun from his waist prior to entering his pick-up, not noticing he accidentally wiped down the safety in doing so. With his finger on the trigger, he created a very nice hole on the floor of his Frontier, and a serious gash on his lower left leg. At this instance, the alcohol level on his body evaporated in an instant. It could've turned a hell of a lot worse. He probably violated almost all of the safety rules, but what concerns us here is the dangerous modification of equipment. John Moses Browning knew what he was doing when he put these safeties in place.

This gun also has a history with us Filipinos. It was first used against our Moro brothers in 1912. I'd warrant a guess that the 1911 was designed for us (though we're at the muzzle end;f ) when the Americans' .38s fail to stop these tenacious fighters.

I'm getting one as soon as the political scene stabilized (read: after the elections) and assuming we don't elect a President who's dumb enough to think that guns are bane to peace and order.

Your thoughts, gentlemen.

Sayang pre
I sold my Colt Lihgt weight commander for just 25t nuon
That was the best carry gun I ever errr...carried
Mas gusto ko commander size kesa sa full size 1911
pareho lang splits, madali pa dalhin

Eye Cutter
10-11-2003, 07:23
Originally posted by antediluvianist

But it simply is not as reliable in terms of feeding and extraction as some of the more modern guns, which learned from the 1911's problems and changed their designs to eliminate those problems.
Note, for example, that a number of the higher-priced .45's have external extractors.

But, if a particular 1911 works well enough- and unfortunately that usually takes some gunsmithing - then let's count our blessings. as Jeff Cooper said , you use a 1911 for the cartridge, and you use
9mm. to get the guns that fire it. ;c

the problem, most of the time, is we can't leave a good thing alone! it is also very hard to find a competent gunsmith truly knowledgeable with Mr. Browning's design.

Ang dami ako na nakikita mga customized 1911's na super ganda cosmetically, but usually can't finish a stage without any kind of malfunction! :cool:

Allegra
10-11-2003, 07:30
Originally posted by paltik45
Before hand I would like to inform you that I AM NOT CONNECTED OR RELATED TO THIS SHOP. When I just a green apple in the shooting community I used to hang around outdoor shooting ranges back there in Laguna. Since I only got a very thin budget for this sport, it motivates me to do a lot of asking around specialy the TOP shooters. They pointed me to the METRILLO BROTHERS at Merville, Paranaque. They are customer oriented gunsmith and they priced their services pretty reasonably. I really missed their work specially the slide fitting and glides like a glass. ;f I learned a lot of things from them and I've been using it here in the USA on my own pistols. Custom pistol work here can couse you an ARM AND LEG plus your house.:)

Magaling si Metrillo 824-5637
Lalo na kung may imamachine. He's built a 1911 for me
No need to buy expensive parts, kasi kaya nya gayahin
Kung tune up, Jun Tuason
Lahat naman yan magagaling, kanya kanyang hiyang

batangueno
10-16-2003, 03:19
Who else is selling Norinco 1911's aside from Trust Trade? Maganda ba base gun yung Norinco for a 1911 project?

mc_oliver
10-16-2003, 03:36
Originally posted by batangueno
Who else is selling Norinco 1911's aside from Trust Trade? Maganda ba base gun yung Norinco for a 1911 project?
Sa presyo at quality nung bakal, sya ang da best. ;) If you can find the old models na GI even better. Ngayon kasi factory-dressed na halos. Medyo sloppy ang fit ng parts, dami butas at bitin na kanto.

Single Stacker
10-17-2003, 05:17
Hi Batangueno:

I am currently using a NORINCO 1911 SS .45. It is one of the first batch that came in and I recently had it dressed up a bit. Never had major problems with it except when I used a Wilson shock buff where I experienced cases failing to eject properly. Removed it ASAP per advise of eye cutter (during a recent match) and never had any malfunction afterwards. We joined the recent MARCHRIS competition and the gun worked flawlessly (cannot say the same for the shooter). Needless to say I am happy with the gun but would still want another 1911 a high cap .40 naman.

FAlvar
10-17-2003, 08:51
Wala na! Sinira na ng paalis na Gobernor Davis ng aming Republika Sosyalista ng Kalipornya ang 1911:(

Simula sa taong 2006, LAHAT ng bagong baril na parisukat eh kailangang may "magazine safety" at "loaded chamber indicator". Hindi ko halos maisip kung gaano kapangit ang pakiramdam ng kalabit ng mga 1911 sa RSK kapag isinagawa na ang batas na yun.

Sa aking panananaw, lahat ng mamamaril ay kailangang magkaroon ng isang 1911.

Parang hindi ka siyento por siyentong Pinoy kung wala kang karaoke sa bahay.

riddler
10-17-2003, 09:37
Originally posted by FAlvar
Parang hindi ka siyento por siyentong Pinoy kung wala kang karaoke sa bahay.

Yipppppppeeeeee, siyento por siyentong Pinoy akoooooooooo!;f ;f

Walang biro mga kababayan, malaki talaga ang tulong ng Magic Singalong ko sa pagbaba ng aking cholesterol. Ewan ko ba, siguro dahil malaking stress reliever.

Ewan ko lang kung baka tumaas ang sa aking mga kapitbahay!(buti may insulation at saka malayong kunti ang pagitan sa mga bahay dito sa aming subdivision. baka matagal na akong ni-report sa pulis for disturbing the peace)^1

Hermo Gut
10-18-2003, 05:28
Kabayang Batangueno, doon sa Hahn Manila (Megamall) napuntahan mo na ba ? They are selling the Rincos for 18T (Blue finish with beaver tail )& 16T yung two tone . Before I left last Sept.23 nakadisplay pa.

As base gun okey yung Rinco. I have several friends na mayroong customized Rincos and they are all happy with it. Gusto ko ring bumili this coming December pag-uwi ko ( to line up with my P14Ltd.SS, 1991A1 & WWII Colt).

Hermo Gut:)

batangueno
10-19-2003, 20:03
Gusto ko sana yung bare at pinaka-basic model na Norinco. Susubukan ko kasing ako mismo ang mag-customize. Kapag nagkasira-sira saka ko na lang dadalhin sa gunsmith...hehe ;f

Salamat SS at Hermo Gut, titingin rin ako sa Hahn. :)

FALvar at riddler, dapat pala eh mapadalhan kayo ng mga VCD para sa karaoke. ;a

mc_oliver
10-19-2003, 20:12
Gusto ko sana yung bare at pinaka-basic model na Norinco. Susubukan ko kasing ako mismo ang mag-customize. Kapag nagkasira-sira saka ko na lang dadalhin sa gunsmith...hehe ;f

Siguraduhin mo lang na wala'ng sakit sa puso yung smith. ;f

riddler
10-19-2003, 21:49
FALvar at riddler, dapat pala eh mapadalhan kayo ng mga VCD para sa karaoke. ;a

batangueno,

Chip lang yung sa akin.;f ;f

Seriously, do you guys know if there is a new chip for the Magic Singalong that recently came out? Thank so much sir!

Saruman
10-19-2003, 23:20
Originally posted by riddler
Seriously, do you guys know if there is a new chip for the Magic Singalong that recently came out? Thank so much sir!

i think meron.. my relatives in the states bought them also.. pag nag init pala yan nag iiba tempo o tono?? what chips do you have na? i'll ask kung anong bagong labas..:) :)

pinoy
10-19-2003, 23:56
Originally posted by FAlvar
Wala na! Sinira na ng paalis na Gobernor Davis ng aming Republika Sosyalista ng Kalipornya ang 1911:(

Simula sa taong 2006, LAHAT ng bagong baril na parisukat eh kailangang may "magazine safety" at "loaded chamber indicator". Hindi ko halos maisip kung gaano kapangit ang pakiramdam ng kalabit ng mga 1911 sa RSK kapag isinagawa na ang batas na yun.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think there's a misunderstanding here...

SB 489 (Scott - D) Chamber Load Indicators and Magazine Disconnect Mechanisms.

On September 24th Governor Gray Davis signed this bill into law even though it had significant opposition from law enforcement officials throughout California. The bill goes into effect in 2006, requiring all "newly designed" semi-auto handguns to have a chamber loaded indicator OR a magazine disconnect. In 2007, all newly introduced models will have to have both features.

don't make it happen a year early! hehe

jasonub
10-20-2003, 01:16
Norinco guns have very tough steel. The smiths here will heat the steel before cutting it for bomars, fitting etc.

So the steel will lose its constant temper. Better get an armscor na lang. Or tell the smith that you will pay for the bits that they lose cutting your gun.

You may be charged for it but will never know if they really just heated your norinco. unless you watch;Q

deepblued
10-20-2003, 01:23
Norinco guns have very tough steel. The smiths here will heat the steel before cutting it for bomars, fitting etc.

So the steel will lose its constant temper. Better get an armscor na lang. Or tell the smith that you will pay for the bits that they lose cutting your gun.

You may be charged for it but will never know if they really just heated your norinco. unless you watch;Q

Won't heating the steel destroy the finnish?

jasonub
10-20-2003, 01:29
Originally posted by deepblued
Won't heating the steel destroy the finnish?

yes until they finish it again. Besides, if you cut bomars or cut new serrations, etc, you will have to refinish it

mc_oliver
10-20-2003, 01:48
Dude, I think the good Col is now using carbide (or something extremely hard) bits and cutters. Kaya siguro nagagawa na niya yung mga weird type serrations and custom-shape rear sights. Yung custom Norinco na display sa Trust Trade, sa kanya yun. Notice mo yung fine cut sa slide (serrated na serrations)? ;)

jasonub
10-20-2003, 03:01
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Dude, I think the good Col is now using carbide (or something extremely hard) bits and cutters. Kaya siguro nagagawa na niya yung mga weird type serrations and custom-shape rear sights. Yung custom Norinco na display sa Trust Trade, sa kanya yun. Notice mo yung fine cut sa slide (serrated na serrations)? ;)

It was the people of col bayang who told me what they do, (rene) it should be heated or its hard on the bit, including carbides. Asked metrillo too. Same answer, they heat it.

As for the fine cuts, its finished by sanding or sand blasting.

riddler
10-20-2003, 11:08
Originally posted by Saruman
i think meron.. my relatives in the states bought them also.. pag nag init pala yan nag iiba tempo o tono?? what chips do you have na? i'll ask kung anong bagong labas..:) :)

Teng,

I already sourced out the chip here in the States and I know that it is more expensive here. This said, I think that I will get it there since I bought my unit and accessories there. Please ask your relatives as to whether there are new chips that just came out. The songs that I currently have are the ones the are built into the unit (8000-8790) and those that came with the additional chip (7000+range).

Like any other electronic devices, the part that generates heat the most is the Power Supply. Since the P/S is external to the unit, I honestly don't know (or have felt) any heat from the mic itself. If your relatives have experienced degradation of performance on their units, ask them if the P/S that they have is rated high enough to supply the mic.

Since I bought my unit there, I had to junk the P/S that came with it and purchased one that is 110V. The common mistake of most people is that they only look at the AC input and the DC output as their buying criteria. What they often fail to consider is the amperage that you can continuously draw out of the P/S. This is what causes the heat and sometimes even failure of the unit.

I personally did not find a P/S for the unit that has the exact plug so I bought a P/S that has a higher Amp rating and just soldered the original plug with respect to its polarity.

I hope that this will help your relatives out.

Thanks!

riddler
10-20-2003, 11:16
Teng,

Also have them check their cable. The cable I think has a:

- GND
- Video
- Left Audio
- Right Audio
- Power +
- Power -

If the cable has seen a lot of usage, there might be an intermittent short in it which causes the P/S to heat up.

riddler
10-20-2003, 15:25
The smiths here will heat the steel before cutting it for bomars, fitting etc.

If they do it like this, have someone else work on it.

Hermo Gut
10-21-2003, 04:03
Wilson combat uses Norinco guns ,1911 style, (before the importation ban of the said gun in the US ) as base gun for customization. That tells it all ....

However , I would like mine as stock as possible or maybe just replace some internal parts (sear, disconnector, slide stop etc.), the gun shoots fine out of the box (so they say).

If you really want to customize then try Colt 1991A1 or a Springfield MilSpec (just be careful ...). If somebody will show you a customized Springfield and a customized Norinco (all works being equal) which will you choose ???? Probably the difference in amount will be a little bit higher but the pride of ownership will be worth it. Opinyon ko lang ito pards. Kung saan ka maligaya...it's up to you.

Hermo Gut

Alexii
10-03-2004, 06:30
I am ressurecting this thread as I've sensed it contains a lot of useful info for our newbies.

Right now I have my sights focused on a blued NRM Colt 1991A1 Government Model come November. Di na ko makatulog!;f

julianz
10-03-2004, 08:12
too many boomers ^8 got to get me one of that , got to get me one of this..man its like drugs ..the minute you got hooked you always want more..got to find me more funds;K

mikol
10-03-2004, 08:38
I am ressurecting this thread as I've sensed it contains a lot of useful info for our newbies.

Right now I have my sights focused on a blued NRM Colt 1991A1 Government Model come November. Di na ko makatulog!;f

hi alexii, thanks for bring up this topic back. i am one of those newbie's longing to have my 1st 1911 pistola. Since i am on a limited budget, I was thinking of just getting either of this models mentioned below for a starter 1911 platform gun.(those high ends will follow later)

1. RIA or Armscor Practical Series (cal..45)
2. Norinco M1911A1 (cal..45)
3. SAM Elite(cal..45)

hope i can see & handle physically these units this coming December so that i can decide which of the above mentioned is the best for a starter 1911 pistol. :cool:

mikol
10-03-2004, 08:49
Originally posted by julianz
too many boomers ^8 got to get me one of that , got to get me one of this..man its like drugs ..the minute you got hooked you always want more..got to find me more funds;K

hi julianz, kiaf halak sadik! kung si alexii di na makatulog, ako naman uwing-uwi narin. ;f hope i can get a good unit out of the box this coming december.:) julianz how's the wheather in Riyadh, here in jeddah is very-very hot. Maybe around 48-50 deg.cent.;Q ingat lagi dyan pare.

julianz
10-04-2004, 01:22
Originally posted by mikol
hi julianz, kiaf halak sadik! kung si alexii di na makatulog, ako naman uwing-uwi narin. ;f hope i can get a good unit out of the box this coming december.:) julianz how's the wheather in Riyadh, here in jeddah is very-very hot. Maybe around 48-50 deg.cent.;Q ingat lagi dyan pare.

its getting cooler here na lalu na sa gabe ..getting into practical shooting makes me more homesick than before ..ngayon whenever i arrange for my staff vacation schedule , i need to consider kung may gun show o may competition . kung meron kailangan ako muna magbabakasyon ..nakakaadict talaga sadik;f

Vault Keeper
10-04-2004, 03:10
Sabi ng nila, no matter what you shoot you will always come back to a single stock 1911;a I think his right...

Kaya nga nung may nag-alok sa akin ng Colt GC, kinuha ko na! (Hiding it kay misis siyempre;f )

Baka ihain sa akin for dinner eh;f

aztig
10-04-2004, 03:59
My wife grandfather left a 1911 Remington after he died, but I noticed it has the colt barrel. This is his service side arm during worldwar II. Still in good condition, I test fired some cartridge with 42 marking (yr 1942) that came along with the FA and it fired. What can you say about this folks?

9MX
10-04-2004, 04:21
Originally posted by aztig
My wife grandfather left a 1911 Remington after he died, but I noticed it has the colt barrel. This is his service side arm during worldwar II. Still in good condition, I test fired some cartridge with 42 marking (yr 1942) that came along with the FA and it fired. What can you say about this folks?

ang lufet!;z

Mayor
10-04-2004, 05:36
Originally posted by aztig

i'd say, lucky you ;)

ogiebb
10-04-2004, 05:58
they can say STI or sv 's are the best shooting and looking 1911's around....but there is still something about a singlestack Colt Gold cup or a caspian that still gives me the Shivers and butterflies in my stomach:cool:

Alexii
10-04-2004, 19:56
Originally posted by ogiebb
they can say STI or sv 's are the best shooting and looking 1911's around....but there is still something about a singlestack Colt Gold cup or a caspian that still gives me the Shivers and butterflies in my stomach:cool:

Reminds me of that mantra over at the 1911 forum-- if it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911. ;f

aztig
10-05-2004, 03:42
Thanks 9MX and Mayor

jjserv
10-06-2004, 14:59

Hi Alexei,

Do they still sell NRM Colt 1991A1 here? Been asking around seems only two shops sell Colts. Where do you plan to buy? Kinda in the look out too for a 1911. Thanks. :) :)

mbclubph
10-06-2004, 15:29
look for jane nashe mcs 8111881 or magda last time i inquired about the unit colt 1991a1 blue around 45k nlang asking nila 53k pero pwede naman tumawad kasi marami pa silang stock

IF IT'S NOT A COLT IT'S A COPY:) :) :)

Alexii
10-06-2004, 18:58
Originally posted by jjserv
Do they still sell NRM Colt 1991A1 here? Been asking around seems only two shops sell Colts. Where do you plan to buy? Kinda in the look out too for a 1911. Thanks. :) :)

Yup, they still sell the NRM Colt here. I plan to get it from PB Dionisio or Nashe or whoever can provide a better deal. I'm afraid this is just the start of the 1911 bug for me. I've been warned that I won't stop at one.;f

Eye Cutter
10-06-2004, 19:41
jjserv: ask around for a 2nd hand colt, but there are a lot of fakes also. tignan mo din yung STI Trojan. Or go the full custom route and build yourself a pistol with your own specs and parts.

alexii: totoo yan. you can never have enough of the 1911. i now have a 1911 STI Trojan clone .45 cal single stack, a Para P16-40 .40 cal and Para P18-9 LDA 9mm. Next project is a widebody in .38 super! ;f

ang gastos!!!

9MX
10-06-2004, 20:05
makabili na nga kay nashe, i guess its time to experience their vaunted customer service.............not!;z

glockomolly
10-07-2004, 21:19
Yup, they still sell the NRM Colt here. I plan to get it from PB Dionisio or Nashe or whoever can provide a better deal. I'm afraid this is just the start of the 1911 bug for me. I've been warned that I won't stop at one.;f

Question lang po... what is NRM?? ;g syensya na po; newbie lang ;f

batangueno
10-07-2004, 21:30
Originally posted by glockomolly
Question lang po... what is NRM?? ;g syensya na po; newbie lang ;f New RollMark. I think it's the new brand/model mark on the Colt slide.

jjserv
10-07-2004, 21:47
BOGs:

I would like to inquire about True Weight's landline. Re STI Trojan, meron kaya sila?

Thanks.

:) :) :)

batangueno
10-07-2004, 21:53
BOGs:

I would like to inquire about True Weight's landline. Re STI Trojan, meron kaya sila?

Thanks.

:) :) :) Tel# 7122529. Pero naubos na yata ni jmy lahat ng STI Trojans doon. ;f

jjserv
10-07-2004, 23:03
Tel# 7122529. Pero naubos na yata ni jmy lahat ng STI Trojans doon. ;f

Thanks pre. Meron daw. 85K + 5.

jjserv
10-07-2004, 23:16
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
jjserv: ask around for a 2nd hand colt, but there are a lot of fakes also. tignan mo din yung STI Trojan. Or go the full custom route and build yourself a pistol with your own specs and parts.

alexii: totoo yan. you can never have enough of the 1911. i now have a 1911 STI Trojan clone .45 cal single stack, a Para P16-40 .40 cal and Para P18-9 LDA 9mm. Next project is a widebody in .38 super! ;f

ang gastos!!!

BOGs: According to a local gunsmith, the Series 80 Safety feature of the Colt is difficult to copy for local forgers. Do you agree?

It would be great if you could share your "Tips in Identifying Fake Kimbers, Colts, STIs." I have had offers of a lot of NICELY Priced 2nd Hand SS 1911's recently. Kinda difficult to tell. ;Q :) :) :)

batangueno
10-08-2004, 00:58
Thanks pre. Meron daw. 85K + 5. 6in long slide yang nasa picture mo ah, yan ba gusto mo? Sinabi mo ba na friend ka ni jmy, baka bigyan ka pa ng discount. ;f

jjserv
10-08-2004, 01:40
6in long slide yang nasa picture mo ah, yan ba gusto mo? Sinabi mo ba na friend ka ni jmy, baka bigyan ka pa ng discount. ;f

Wala na daw eh. According to them its "Old Price." Picture I got from the STI website. I like the form but w/ a 5" barrel. ;b

Alexii
10-08-2004, 09:14
New RollMark. I think it's the new brand/model mark on the Colt slide.

Correct. The New Roll Mark is actually the old Roll Mark (don't be confused) prior to the so called billboard rollmark. It's just new compared to the unattractive old "billboard rollmark" COLT1991A1 engraved on older series 80 1911s.

glockomolly
10-10-2004, 06:57
I see... so yung may logo ng colt (standing horse) yung newer models? right?;Q

Alam nyo ba guys kung san meron ng Colt series 70 & how much? Most of the models sa gunstores are series 80.

Alexii
10-10-2004, 21:17
Originally posted by glockomolly
Alam nyo ba guys kung san meron ng Colt series 70 & how much? Most of the models sa gunstores are series 80.

IIRC, para'ng Gemini yung nag offer ng series 70 last gun show. Mga around 70k+ yung presyo pero di ko sure.

mc_oliver
10-10-2004, 21:20
Talked to a friend yesterday. He mentioned knowing somebody selling some brand new Colt NRM for 37K. Not sure kung ano'ng series or finish.

jjserv
10-10-2004, 22:28
Talked to a friend yesterday. He mentioned knowing somebody selling some brand new Colt NRM for 37K. Not sure kung ano'ng series or finish.

Nice price for a project gun. How can I get in touch with your friend? ;Q :)

jundeleon
10-10-2004, 22:53
Is the trigger feel of the series 70 really that much better compared to the series 80?

Is this due to the firing pin block of the series 80 or is it something else?

How would you describe the difference?

mc_oliver
10-10-2004, 23:04
Nice price for a project gun. How can I get in touch with your friend? ;Q :)
PM mo si jasonub, dre. Mas kilala niya si Boy. ;)

jasonub
10-11-2004, 20:45
ask oliver again i gave info to oliver

glockomolly
10-13-2004, 19:48
Originally posted by jundeleon
Is the trigger feel of the series 70 really that much better compared to the series 80?

Is this due to the firing pin block of the series 80 or is it something else?

How would you describe the difference?

Ive heard about the comparison between series 80 & 70- mas Ok nga daw ang trigger feel ng 70 - although I've never used a series 70 before, Im very satisfied with the trigger feel of my series 80 compared to armscor 1911's. But for me mas ok yung shape ng series 70:cool:

Eye Cutter
10-13-2004, 22:28
tanggalin niyo lang yung firing pin block sa series 80, series 70 na yan. wala namang kaso yun. mas maganit lang trigger pull, but for a carry pistol, that is no issue.

but before you start carrying a 1911 platform, dapat bihasa ka na sa manual of arms nito. otherwise, think of carrying another pistol type instead or a revolver.

jjserv
10-14-2004, 08:09

So who among us actually & finally bought this piece? Very nice price! ;Q :)

mc_oliver
10-14-2004, 19:53
Alexii talked to the guy. Old rollmark naman pala daw eh...;Q