coyote hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting

_The_Rev
11-12-2003, 20:34
I just bought a place with 40 acres and am looking forward to all the shooting I can do. I am interested in doing some coyote hunting. Has anyone used the CD's to call the coyotes? how do they work...any advice?

Thanks

mpol777
11-13-2003, 12:33
www.coyotegods.com will give you some good tips.

Mouth calls are a good place to start and are inexpensive compared to electronic calls. Closed reed calls are better than open reed when you are just starting out. Open reed calling is an art and take time to master whereas closed reed calls only need air. You don't need to be a master caller to get coyotes in. Anything that sounds close to a dying animal will get their attention.

Another difference between the two types of calls is how the coyotes come in. With mouth calls they tend to come in slow and steady. With electronic calls I've had them rush in at a dead sprint and pounce on the call!

Coyotes have good eyes and ears, so camo and proper cover is necessary. A facemask, gloves, camo garb and hat are good ideas. Think of a turkey hunting setup. Make sure you have something to your back that's thick. This not only helps break up your form, but keeps a coyote, or more importantly, a mountain lion from pouncing on you from behind. On that note, I always carry a big bore handgun with me. The calls you are using are predator calls, not just coyote calls. Even non-predator animals like deer, crows and cows will sometimes come in just to see what's going on. You do have to be ready in case a bear or mountain lion decides to show up.

If you plan on taking pelts, the lighter the caliber the better. .243 and .25-06 have varmint loads, but will wreck pelts. Even some of the .22 centerfires will make some good sized holes with "varmint" ammo. A good SP or match style HP will work better to keep the damage down. Sub calibers like .17 rem and wildcats like the .14's, .19's and .20's do almost no damage. Rimfire cartidges don't have enough oomph unless the shot is perfect. Even then they are a tad light.

allhowl
11-19-2003, 07:46
Howdy neighbor, I'm in OK also. I use the handcalls and electronic. Both have advantages. The handcalls are light and not any trouble setting up, but electronics draw their attention away from you. . Wanted to list a couple of links you might want to look at. Predator Masters http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ and then http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/ Congratulations on your land purchase wish you good hunting. Alan;)