Lots of frolicking deer!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lots of frolicking deer!!

WalterGA
11-13-2003, 20:43
Couple of days ago I was at the local post office and a friend of mine came in to see the postmaster (another friend and fellow shooter) The friend who came for the visit had his camcorder with him and he invited me and the postmaster to see what he'd shot (with the camcorder) the day before.

Looked like a scene from one of those hunting shows, but unlike anything that I've ever seen. Video guy was shooting from a treestand just inside a scope of woods that overlooked a pasture/feedplot. There must have been thirty or forty deer scampering around, including several nice bucks. He had young bucks playfully fighting, large bucks chasing does around, etc. We could also hear deer walking around under his tree stand.

Hey, you tree stand hunters can rationalize (as is going on in another thread) about how difficult deer "hunting" is, but you're just fooling yourselves. Sitting in that stand, the friend could have taken a deer at any time, with no effort. Several would have been easy handgun shots.

I don't have any moral conflicts about hunting, as I've hunted all my life, but deer "hunting" out of a stand just plain ain't hunting! If deer stand "hunting" were so difficult, 7-yr.old girls with SKS's wouldn't be bringing down those big bucks every year around here.

Gimmme a break! Maybe you feel "primitive" or "manly" or something, but there is little-to-no skill required to take a deer, shooting from a damn stand at the riduculously close distances that folks generally shoot deer from stands.

mudfootball
11-13-2003, 22:07
As a hunting buddy of mine tells me " i dont need a tree stand, deer dont climb trees." not sure what the point there is. You did say "like a hunting show" most real hunts dont quite work that way. few places i hunt would be absolutely impossible without a treestand. Even if only ten feet up what you see is a different world. Especially to the bowhunter. Now i'm not talking about those tree houses i see on Buckmasters, where you slide the little window open and stick the barrel out, while you sit next to a heater, thats not my style. But treestands are great, but not for every one.
kt

f1b32oPTic
11-13-2003, 22:19
lame....

f1b32oPTic
11-13-2003, 22:30
Originally posted by WalterGA

I've hunted all my life

sure you have;Q

vafish
11-14-2003, 06:39
I haven't deer hunted all my life, but I have deer hunted for 27 years.

Only time I've ever seen deer frolicking like that was in National Parks or on Private land where hunting wasn't allowed.

f1b32oPTic
11-14-2003, 08:02
Originally posted by vafish
I haven't deer hunted all my life, but I have deer hunted for 27 years.

Only time I've ever seen deer frolicking like that was in National Parks or on Private land where hunting wasn't allowed.

agreed....ive hunted every season for the past 16 years and the only time ive seen deer frolicking is at 2-4am on a food source on some farmers land....but never Never NEVER on public game lands.

weve definatley got an armchair hunter in our midsts.
oh i saw on tv once! PFFFFT! puuuuleeeeeze

WalterGA
11-14-2003, 08:28
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
lame....

Yeah, I agree! Pretty damn lame! "i could have killed two with my g22 yesterday, they were directly underneath my stand but i let them walk..."

Maybe we just have a much larger deer population here than where you guys hunt. The video I saw was made at a plantation in Baker County, GA, about 20 miles from my house. According to the videographer, the scenes I saw are pretty common there.

There was no anti-hunting intent to my post. I just don't see shooting deer @ 20-100 yds. with a scoped rifle, out of a stand as hunting. We're all entitled to our opinions, and that's mine.

I see a lot more of a challenge in shooting a crow @ 200 yds. than I do shooting a deer from a treestand.

And yes, little girls with crappy rifles do routinely take deer hereabouts.

bustedknee
11-14-2003, 08:29
HaHaHaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaThump LMBOWHFATS (Laugh my butt off while hunting from a tree stand)!

f1b32oPTic
11-14-2003, 08:54
Yeah, I agree! Pretty damn lame! "i could have killed two with my g22 yesterday, they were directly underneath my stand but i let them walk..."

Maybe we just have a much larger deer population here than where you guys hunt. The video I saw was made at a plantation in Baker County, GA, about 20 miles from my house. According to the videographer, the scenes I saw are pretty common there.

There was no anti-hunting intent to my post. I just don't see shooting deer @ 20-100 yds. with a scoped rifle, out of a stand as hunting. We're all entitled to our opinions, and that's mine.

I see a lot more of a challenge in shooting a crow @ 200 yds. than I do shooting a deer from a treestand.

And yes, little girls with crappy rifles do routinely take deer hereabouts.

1) the reason i could have killed two with my g22 the other day was because of great stand positioning..

2)georgia does have an awesome deer population, and i did think about that after i read your post..i wish we had populations like that, and with the average deer being that size...i have driven through Ga. many times and have seen deer standing on the dirt roads parrallel to I-85 in broad daylight, not to mention a few large bucks, that i thought were game warden mechanicals because of their size and the fact they were in open fields in broad daylight.

i am a meat hunter and whatever i kill does not go to waste...personallly i think venison smothered in gravy is tastier than crow.

3) the type of scenario that you described just doesnt occur on public game lands here in N.C.
and i work for my kills...i hike in, scout around, setup, and do it all while being silent and being consciensious about other hunters that might be hunting the same area.

ps. walter you have given me some good firearms advice in the past but man, if you think that stand hunting is not hunting and that shooting crows is, then i lol in your general direction...

WalterGA
11-14-2003, 09:02
Jezus! Don't you guys know when somebody's pulling your leg...big time???

f1b32oPTic: At least you'll have a nicely-tuned trigger on that Remmy 700 when you assasinate Bambi, as he's trying to climb that tree to see what that guy's doing rustling around in the leaves! :) hardehardeharharhar!

BTW, I have not been hunting all my life; just since I was four or five years old. Got my first shotgun when I was 6...nice Win. pump .410.

We didn't hunt deer here when I was growing up, because we didn't have any deer. The Dept. of Nat. Resoures introduced deer into this area several decades ago. I lived in the Metro-Atlanta area for about twenty years; returned to S. GA about 10 years ago. Now the deer population is at the "pest" stage. I believe the limit now is 12 deer, with does o.k. to shoot, but I could be wrong about that.

Many of my friends deer hunt, and they all hunt from stands. There is a bunch down around Quincy, FL, who run deer with dogs, using two-way radios, etc. I'm sure that's a challenging event! ;)

The only time I went deer hunting (about 15 or so years ago), I took a pistol; easily killed a deer and just never cared about doing it again.

f1b32oPTic
11-14-2003, 09:15

f1b32oPTic: At least you'll have a nicely-tuned trigger on that Remmy 700 when you assasinate Bambi

this much is true

freepatriot
11-14-2003, 09:35

Elmer Keith would have done that with his .44 Smith, Walter.

WalterGA
11-14-2003, 11:21
I've learned a lot from old Elmer! As a matter of fact, I have killed a crow with a .44 Magnum. Same piece with which I "harvested" (hardehardeharharhar! I love that term!) my one-and-only deer.

mpol777
11-14-2003, 11:32
Depends on your area. Sure on that field, no problem. But you could set up a stand out here and sit for 6 months and never see a deer.

Back in OH, where there is a huge deer population, we hunted in two ways. One for sport and one for meat. For meat we'd shoot the deer out of the garage window at my god-father's house. For sport we would go to places with a smaller concentration of deer and "work" for it.

It's getting harder and harder to find places with small deer populations in OH now. My uncle has been killing deer for 20+ years at an apple orchard under a pest control permit. He says the past two years have been the worst he's ever seen. A huge population, but very few decent sized deer. Still the owner of the orchard is losing his shirt. He goes out 2-3 times a week and always takes at least 1, and more often 2-3. Over 500,000 deer were taken in OH last year and they are still widely overpopulated.

Now out here in AZ I've seen 4 deer in 5 years. My dad in OH sees 10 deer on his way to work everyday. The challenge is in the population density.

Toml
11-14-2003, 12:03
Where I hunt the best deer stand in the middle of the road.

Is Baker County considered Red Hills, Walter? Land of milk and honey (and long fences).

Roger C
11-14-2003, 13:16
Jezus! Don't you guys know when somebody's pulling your leg...big time???

-- Classic Troll Tactic Number 1: If the heat gets too much for you, claim it was all "a joke." In this way you can excuse any and all deceit by claiming people just weren't smart enough to "get" the humor of it.

;)

RenegadeGlocker
11-14-2003, 14:07
Went to visit some family in Pennsylvania this past week. They have more deer than you can imagine. Dozens in their backyard.

I should have brought my rope, I could have lasso'ed these like they were calfs. Most scattered, but some didn't even bother to leave (or look up) when I stopped, got out of car and took pictures.

Driving to airport early one morning, we passed 3 dead that were hit over the night. The problem is out of control.

http://renegade.tgtech.com/Pix/deer1.jpg
http://renegade.tgtech.com/Pix/deer2.jpg
http://renegade.tgtech.com/Pix/deer3.jpg

WalterGA
11-14-2003, 16:30
RogerC: GFY! Are you smart enough to figure that out??

Dadburn
11-14-2003, 16:33
Sounds like Walter is trolling

vafish
11-14-2003, 18:55
I went hunting for a couple of hours after work this evening.

On the way to the private land I hunt on I drove through the Bull Run National Park. Saw 17 deer in the park that I could see from the main road. The private land I hunt is almost across the road from the NP. Saw 1 doe on the private land and didn't take a shot at her.

wanderinwalker
11-14-2003, 20:10
Jeez!! I gotta move outta New Hampshire to fill my deer tag! :)

Seriously, in the 3 seasons since I turned 16 and got my first hunting license, I have seen precisely 1 deer while hunting. Bumped a few more, for sure, but only seen the one. And from a range of 30 feet all I can tell you is that it was a deer. I could not see if it was a buck or doe. The hunters that fill their tags every year here have my respect (and likely a goodly dosage of luck and timing).

Wow! I can't believe that there are places where the deer are like squirrels. ;g

G36's Rule
11-14-2003, 22:17
I've learned a lot from old Elmer! As a matter of fact, I have killed a crow with a .44 Magnum. Same piece with which I "harvested" (hardehardeharharhar! I love that term!) my one-and-only deer.

In other words, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

freepatriot
11-15-2003, 12:44

Did you ever get a chance to meet him, or did you just learn from him by reading his stuff? I was only about 12 when he died.

What do you think of Mr. Taffin? I kind of think of him as a modern day Elmer Keith.

Ignore these bozos on here, Walter. They don't know you like we know you. :)

DWavs
11-15-2003, 17:28
Ummm...isn't Georgia one of those states that gives you like 2 buck tags and 12 doe tags with your license? I agree...tree stand hunting in Georgia must not be a challenge. ;)

vafish
11-15-2003, 19:24
You want a real challenge for deer hunting.

Take my 10 year old and 7 year old sons along with you and see how many deer you get to see.

Toml
11-16-2003, 00:18
Even in Georgia deer don't just jump in your lap. They are after all wild animals. The most interesting perspective is eyeball to eyeball at ground level. They have a look in their eye from that angle that will make you hesitate.

Big Sexy Glock
11-16-2003, 01:43
Originally posted by Roger C
-- Classic Troll Tactic Number 1: If the heat gets too much for you, claim it was all "a joke." In this way you can excuse any and all deceit by claiming people just weren't smart enough to "get" the humor of it.
;)

I noticed that also Roger C. and I'm just some dumbas$ 'newbie' {or so I've been told}.

There was no humor to get.
WalterGA has extensive gun knowledege from what I've read on this board but it would appear he dont know Jack ***** about hunting.

wasnt there a song by Jackson Browne called 'the pretender' or ...??

;8

rfb45colt
11-16-2003, 23:01
I spent most of today sitting 20' up in a big white pine, in a 650,000 acre national forest, in northern Wisconsin, with a bow and some arrows. I saw one deer. It was a young buck that ambled by at 25yds, about 3:00pm. I heard him coming, had my bow ready, but decided not to take the shot because his antlers were not fully developed, nor was his body... he was just too young. I figured in another year or two, if he survives, he'd have a little more meat on him, and a bit more in the way of head-gear. I sat in the same tree-stand yesterday too, and I saw two deer... a mature doe, and her yearling fawn showed up just before the end of legal shooting time. They got a pass also... 50 yds was too far to try a shot in the rapidly fading light. They were mere shadows in the darkness, gliding in and out of the young balsam trees that are spaced less than 10 yds apart. Without the snow that covers the ground, I'd have never seen them at all.

The point is, my being in a tree-stand did not give me an opportunity to see lots of "frolicking deer" that were "easy" to shoot. In a little over 10 hours this weekend, I saw only three deer. Had I been on the ground (in this area of mature hardwoods with lots of young, 6-10' high balsam trees mixed in between the oaks, maples, and the few big white pines), a deer would have to be within 20 yds for me to even see it. Defeating a deer's senses, especially their nose, isn't likely at that close range, unless you can get your scent trail above their noses. Without getting above the undergrowth, you're wasting your time vision-wise, also. And even 20' up in a tree with full camo on, if you can see them, they certainly can see you too. You must not move a muscle, unless they are facing away from you. And then you must be dead silent as you aim... or they're gone in a flash. There's nothing "easy" about it.

There's a world of differance between hunting deer with a bow (or even a handgun) vs a long range rifle. But a lot depends on the terrain you're hunting in. A rifle doesn't do me much good where I hunt. Come gun season, I hunt from the same treestand... usually with a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, or my Dan Wesson .44. My effective range is doubled over my bow, but it's nowhere near what I'd have with a .30-06 in an open area... but my sight range is such that if I can see it, it's within range of my scoped pistols anyway. Maximum visibility, even 20' off the ground, is about 80 yds. Still not very "easy", timing your shot when a deer is in a very narrow opening between the trees. But out in the open (which is rare here to begin with) there are no deer to be found during daylight hours, so why hunt there. They're not stupid animals, and they stick to the thick stuff... so do I, and a tree-stand is a necessecity.

But the next time a crow flies by, within 200yds, up off the ground where it's visible, he's toast. ;) I just hope that my bullet (which is sure to go right on through a crow) doesn't land on anybody's head a mile away. ;P

Roger C
11-17-2003, 08:53
RogerC: GFY! Are you smart enough to figure that out??

-- Classic Troll Tactic Number 6: Have a tantrum. When all their other tricks are exhausted, Classic Trolls will become angry and start shouting. Often they revert to Vulgar Trolls when this happens.

;)

noway
11-17-2003, 11:02
{Take my 10 year old and 7 year old sons along with you and see how many deer you get to see.}

That's so funny.

freepatriot
11-17-2003, 13:23
By the way, there's a standing rule around here that anyone who calls WalterGA a troll gets to be the one to hold the crows at the next GT Outing.