Safety while Fishing Solo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Safety while Fishing Solo

Lupine
11-15-2003, 14:10
Hi, folks! I'm a woman who loves to flyfish. Quite often, I can't take a buddy with me, so I go alone. (Rarely wade solo).

Using common sense, I try to go places where I can be aware of my surroundings--whether or not I'm alone. I also carry a wading staff, for it's intended purpose and as one method of personal protection.

That being said, I would like to ask if any of you can recommend a good carrying device (chest holster, etc, possibly water resisitant) for wearing with waders. If it matters, I'm pretty tall and fit--and flat-chested, so what's good for the gander's probably good for this goose, too.

Any other related discussion is welcome, i.e. the experiences of others who carry while fishing...

Thanks in advance!

tjpet
11-15-2003, 15:37
I like El Paso Saddlery's M1942 shoulder holster for the situation you describe. It's leather and a little expensive (around $80) but very usable and built for the long haul. Basically a copy of the US military's M1942 shoulder holster. I use mine when the handgun is not going to be the primary weapon used for the day or have need of my hands for other goings on. Go to http://www.epsaddlery.com for more info. Excellent design and materials go into all their rigs.

JohnDog
11-15-2003, 22:51
Check out the Safepacker holster from http://www.thewilderness.com/

You can rig it up with a shoulder strap, and cinch it up so it carries pretty high under your arm. It also will fit on your belt or the hip strap of a backpack, so you can use it for other activities. The best thing about it is that it doesn't look like a holster, it just looks like some pouch for outdoor gadgets, so you don't get grief from the granola crowd.

The closest fly fishing river for me has a major highway running along side it (US 50 along the Arkansas in Colorado), and over the years I have had a number of "strange" encounters while out there fishing. Having a G32 tucked under your arm gives your self confidence a fair boost when dealing with "strange", however.

Hope this helps - JohnDog

vafish
11-16-2003, 06:18
Lupine,

What gun are you carrying? (size would make different recomendations on type of holster)

And yes body type does matter, my wife is the exact opposite of you so her holster suggestions probably wouldn't work.

And what type of waders are you wearing? (Full chest waders, waist high or hip boots? ie is there a chance you can wear a regular hip holster or do we need to be looking for a shoulder/chest holster)

There are some nice Kydex/Synthetic sholder holsters. I think it's Ken Null that makes an upside down rig for small revolvers.

If nothing else the good old nylon fanny pack holster outside your waders should work well, and any unsuspecting moron trying to attack you out on the stream would just think it was your fishing gear. Of course having your gun hanging low would make it more likely to get wet.

Lupine
11-16-2003, 12:15
Thanks, folks...

By the way, they'd be chest waders (both neoprene and the baggy-butt stuff).

I'm still shopping for my carry handgun, but it looks like I'll most likely get a subcompact 9mm by Glock, Springfield or Kahr (still taking suggestions).

Has anybody had any experience with the chest holsters marketed toward joggers? Would be high-and-dry, and if loosely covered by the bib of my waders, wouldn't be obvious...

Lupine
11-16-2003, 12:17
...requires a password to shop. Can't even access their holster page. Thanks for the lead, anyway!

turq
11-16-2003, 16:53
Lupine; Try the site rstacticalgear.com Look under Tactical chest rigs then to the Blackhawk Sahara Stider black $48 It might be something you're looking for.

Your wise to use caution when wading, too easy to get pulled into a deep downstream pool.I grew up fly fishing the Metolius along time ago. When you fall into 40 degree water over your head you never forget that ice-cream headache.
Look at the Glock 27 [40S&W] Go to a store that has them and handle 'em so you have a better idea. Remember weight counts, bullets weigh alot and you'll want spare mag or two.

Tommy Gun
11-16-2003, 17:12
Originally posted by Lupine
...requires a password to shop. Can't even access their holster page. Thanks for the lead, anyway! http://thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/2

Lupine, try this link.. You should be able to search the site without a password. It will bring you to a page were you will see all the safepacker options. Click on the one that intrests you. I like my safepacker and I think you will to. I carry a glock 19 in the woods when I am concerned about "strange".

mudfootball
11-16-2003, 19:03
In the past year alone i have had a few interesting fishing encounters with "wildlife". First occasion, a bunch of wannabe gangsters followed me up a trail 100yds, and one told me, "hey thats a nice fishin pole yous gots." I said thanks. he asked if he could try it, being that he was on a bike and didnt appear friendly and the rod real combo ran 200 dollars plus, of course i said no. He told me a whole bunch of wonderful things i cant repeat, all amounting to i was rude! All I had on me was my smith & W SWAT knife. Well they eventuall turned around and left. Second occasion had my mom out fishing and some more punks sat 20 feet away fishing while me and my mom caught 40 trout between us in 1 1/2 hours. One walked down and talked a little bit, as he was leaving he reached down grabbed my moms stringer of fish and ran with it. I am a few months short of carry age. But my plan, regardless of gun is to try to incorporate a holster, pocket perhaps, into one of the velcro patches inside my vest. This way its out of waders and vest are easy to get into in a hurry. Can i ramble or what?
kt

11-17-2003, 00:24
mud,

Glad to hear you’re getting out to fish with your mom. Also glad to hear you’re considering exercising your right to carry and all of its responsibilities. I’m sure you understand the two situations you described—being called names by a bunch of punks and having your fish stolen—have no connection to displaying a gun. That said, carrying in both circumstances would have certainly brought peace of mind.

mudfootball
11-17-2003, 08:15
As soon as i entered the reply i thought what you thought. I realize that neither occasion would be cause to pull. I am happy both situations ended as they did. But it is the peice of mind you mentioned that i look for when walking out a trail after dark or should a situation escolate when my mom is with me. thanks
kt

f1b32oPTic
11-17-2003, 11:07
i used to carry my smith wesson m65 but now i carry my g22 exclusively
both are very water proof..i just like the fact the g22 weighs less and packs flatter