Experience with semi-automatic slug guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Experience with semi-automatic slug guns?

kry226
11-16-2003, 11:47
I have a Remington 870 with a Hastings cantilever-mount rifled barrel that has seen better days. Looking at Benelli M1 Field, Browning Gold, Savage 210F bolt-action, and Ithaca Deerslayer Storm (pump) slug guns. Anyone have any experience with the autos, in particular, with regards to accuracy? I know they're reliable guns. I like the Gold for the fact that the scope mounts to the barrel, not the receiver. I have never shot or known anyone who has put a lot of slugs through a semi-auto. Curious if their groups are as consistant as the pump/bolt-actions. Thanks.

TJC
11-16-2003, 20:31
kry226,
Here in NJ all we can use for deer are shotguns. You can use slugs or buckshot.
I've been using an 11-87 Remington for years with a fully rifled barrel/cant. scope mount and sabot slugs. The accuracy is pretty good. I have it sighted in for 100 yds. and have shot deer out to 135 with it and have had no problems. Grouping runs between 3-4" at 100yds. Depends on the brand of slugs.
I shoot between 6 and 12 deer a year with this gun without problems.
One point I would make, don't go cheap on the scope. It makes all the difference in the world.

Hope this helps you making a decision.

noway
11-17-2003, 08:13
{I have a Remington 870 with a Hastings cantilever-mount rifled barrel that has seen better days.}

That's my current setup today. (870 w/Hasting barrel and 4x scope)

Nothing wrong with it & it is great for accuracy. The one thing about the semi-autos are less recoil with the slugs in most gas-operated guns and I 'm afraid the Benelli M1 would not offer less felt recoil than the 870 with slugs.

I pretty sure you can get a good semi-auto combo that offer good accuracy for shooting slugs. I just don't know that many hunters that use semi-autos in a full out sluggun.

(IMHO) The Deerslayer is great shotgun and affordable.

Michigun
11-17-2003, 10:00
I have a Beretta 390 12-gauge semi-auto with a Hastings cantilever fully rifled slug barrel. It loves 3” Federal Barn’s Expander 1oz sabot slugs… so mush so that it’ll touch’em @ 100 yards!

I took a deer with it at 160+ yards once & I’ve taken several other deer at the 100-yard mark with it. I don’t believe my semi-auto slug-gun is special with its accuracy. If you match the slug to the gun, I believe most slug-guns are capable of the same… the only thing a little odd about my set-up is it’s appetite for the 3” sabot… most slug-guns shoot 2-3/4” more accurately then the 3”.

At the distance a shotgun is made for, I’d don’t think you’ll notice an accuracy difference between semi-auto & pump/bolt guns…

I have a Leupold 3x9x40mm scope mounted to my slug-gun.

kry226
11-17-2003, 19:02
Thanks for the replies. I am fairly confident in the ability of the autos to be accurate, but the Benelli mounts its scope on the receiver, not a cantilever, and the barrel is not permanently fixed to the receiver. This worries me that the scope may not always be alligned with the barrel the same way from shot to shot the way a receiver with a fixed barrel or cantilever would. I know I'm talking about minute tolerances, but I am a perfectionist in that way, and I believe I owe it to the animal. I like to pick a hair and hit that hair. I also realize that I'm talking slugs and not a .308 WIN as far as accuracy goes, so I'm not looking for miracles, just reliable, reasonable accuracy. Any more opinions? Thanks again.

noway
11-18-2003, 00:08
{I also realize that I'm talking slugs and not a .308 WIN as far as accuracy goes, so I'm not looking for miracles, just reliable, reasonable accuracy. Any more opinions? Thanks again.}

I think you summed it up quite well, if you want accuracy and tack driver accuracy, get a rifle ( period)

all of the shotgun either semi or pump are pretty much reliable

kry226
11-18-2003, 06:40
Originally posted by noway
if you want accuracy and tack driver accuracy, get a rifle (period)

Very true. I have rifles, but in some places, you can only hunt with a slug gun.:cool:

sopdan
11-18-2003, 08:15
My dad has the Browning Gold Hunter with a 2-7x scope that he uses for deer hunting in the shotgun-only zone of the state. It has little recoil, decent accuracy, is reliable, and he has taken deer at about 150 yards with it. I myself just have the 870 w/ Hastings barrel, but its not too bad either (a little more recoil, though).

kry226
11-18-2003, 11:32
Thanks for the replies. I believe I have just about decided on the Browning Gold deer gun in Mossy Oak. I have a Gold goose gun so I know how reliable it is. Thanks again.

duncan
11-18-2003, 15:11
First shot should be fine but I still prefer pump action - I have the ocntrol instead of it being done for me.

Safer in the field.