Squirrel for dinner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel for dinner

49+hudson
11-16-2003, 14:07
Took 2 bushey tails underneath the pecan tree in the back yard.
Used an old single shot .22 and super colibri.
The 1st was taken at about 15 yrs. The hit to the left shoulder went through and through.
The 2nd. was taken at more like 20 yrds. Hit in the left shoulder[almost identical to no. 1], the 20 grain bullet was recovered underneath the hide tnfront of the right shoulder. No deformation to the bullet; just scratches from hitting bone.

pinhead
11-16-2003, 17:23
What does Sqirrel taste like ? I see them thought of shooting them. But I hate to kill something I will not eat.

49+hudson
11-16-2003, 18:00
To my taste, the finest eating of all small game.
Better than rabbit, better than pheasant.Maybe on a par with quail.

mudfootball
11-16-2003, 20:08
What is that ammo you are shooting, i have never had one stay in a squirrel, are they shorts? CCI small game bullet is a great tree rat killer. Flat tipped bullet. Stingers will just about eliminate any possibility of a cripple. I cant bring myself to eat them. Had a neighbor that i used to give them to who told me i was crazy for that. Many describe it as better than rabbit.
kt

pinhead
11-16-2003, 22:44
Mudfootball,
I hear ya, I see them and "Great meal" does not come to mind.
I will stick to shooting pigs :-D
someone else can eat my share of the Squirrels.

_The_Rev
11-16-2003, 22:47
tastes like chicken. ;g

..........couldn't resist

noway
11-17-2003, 08:01
[Better than rabbit, better than pheasant.Maybe on a par with quail.}

Rabbit is 10x more better than squirrel and nowhere close to being in the same category of Pheasant or quail. Also rabbits are more easier to clean and alot more meat most of the time.

sarge
11-19-2003, 12:45
Nothing like squirrel, bisquits and gravy, mashed 'taters and corn on the cob. Good enough to make your tounge reach up and slap your forhead!! ;f

Morning...
http://photos.imageevent.com/brobert/bobdeer2002/websize/before2.jpg

Evening...
http://photos.imageevent.com/brobert/bobdeer2002/websize/after2.jpg

mudfootball
11-19-2003, 15:14
i must admit that second pic does look tasty!
kt

Tvov
11-19-2003, 16:18
sarge, what is your recipe for the squirrel meat?

Looks like a great dinner, by the way.

45acp4me
11-19-2003, 18:03
How do you clean them?

Regards,
Glen

f1b32oPTic
11-19-2003, 20:01
Originally posted by 45acp4me
How do you clean them?

Regards,
Glen

like a reeeeaaaalllly tiny deer!;f

jk,
you gut them, cut their heads and feet off, cut from under the base of the tail toward the neck about 2" enough to get a grip and peel that sucker.

or you can gut them cut their feet and tail off, make a slit shoulder to shoulder across their back skin and rip the two halves of skin away like taking off a shirt, then cut the head off.

kind of like with rabbits.

sarge
11-19-2003, 22:22
TV,

The way I cook 'em is: cut 'em up (rear legs, front legs and back), roll them in flour that is seasoned (salt & pepper, seasonings, etc), put some oil in a skillet, brown them for a few minutes, take the meat out, pour out the oil but leave the little "crispies" in the skillet. Then I put the meat back in the skillet and just cover the meat with water. Simmer on low for 2-2.5 hours, and you have the best squirrel that you can have. No matter how tough he was, the meat will fall off the bone cooked like this.

The way I clean them is to lay the squirrel on it's belly, make a small cut at the base of the tail, between the base and the vent. Then I start the cut down each leg just a little. Hold him by his back legs, stand on the tail and pull up. The skin will peel off from aroun the belly, over the front legs, and off the head. Then, pull the remaining skin off the rear legs. Cut the front and rear feet off, cut the head off, slit from the vent up to the neck and remove the entrails. Cleaned squirrel in less than 2 minutes. Now understand, I try to head shoot all of my squirrels with rimfires. This method doesn't work real well with shotgun shot squirrels.

mzenzer
11-19-2003, 22:58
Yum! Squirrel!

Here's a simple but tasty recipe. Take several whole squirrels, place in crock pot with your favorite barbecue sauce and cook until the meat starts falling off the bones.

Their good on the grill too. Flavor with lemon pepper or anything else you like, and keep very moist with melted butter.

11-20-2003, 16:19
Ive been thinking about squirrel all day! Later today im gonna take my 10/22 and bring me home a few!^7 ;I

duncan
11-22-2003, 09:58
Originally posted by mudfootball
i must admit that second pic does look tasty!
kt

Now I am hungry!

jhokie
07-01-2005, 02:19
I am so tempted to go hunt squirrels with my glock now...

bustedknee
07-01-2005, 08:26
Headshots!

You don't want to ruin any of that wonderful meat.

El Dave
07-01-2005, 19:04
Mmmmmmmm Squirrel. Just don't try to fry the old ones, or you WILL be dissapointed.

My grandad used to fry the heads and crack them open to get at the brains. I understand that's not recomended anymore because of some neurological disease that can be contracted that way.

;c ;c ;c

bigdaddycool
07-02-2005, 20:20
tree rat = good eatin

Short Cut
07-02-2005, 21:23
Mmmm, sounds good. The only little critter I like better than squirrel is cotton tail rabbit.

Cicero
07-04-2005, 11:06
Originally posted by pinhead
What does Sqirrel taste like ? I see them thought of shooting them. But I hate to kill something I will not eat.

It truly depends on the age and sex of the squirrel. Young squirrel taste like a more flavorful rabbit. Tender, a lot of flavor. Older females (does?) also taste pretty good. But if you get a large older male squirrel, it is ok for stew but not for anything else.

That said, I love squirrel. A lot of the time, I'll just wash them, quarter them and then dump them in BBQ sauce for a little while and then toss them on the grill. My wife makes a really neat squirrel and kidney bean stew, and chili is good too. The hunting part is great too - they're not easy to hunt, you need to be a good shot, but you can call them and there's time to chat with your hunting buddies while moving from place to place. It's like golf, but with blood and guns.

Tvov
07-04-2005, 11:57
Originally posted by Cicero
It's like golf, but with blood and guns.

Pretty much the perfect sport? :cool: