Glock Hunting? How's This for Proof?!?!? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Hunting? How's This for Proof?!?!?

10mmGuy
11-17-2003, 07:16
Got this big boy last night! I was using DT's 165gr GS. I'll give the whole story after season.

hcook
11-17-2003, 07:32
Nice buck!

What was the range?

Michigun
11-17-2003, 08:35
Beautiful!

f1b32oPTic
11-17-2003, 13:13
awesome buck!!! congrats

Claywms
11-17-2003, 23:00
Wow! Very nice!

What kind of sights are on your G20?

FESTUS
11-18-2003, 16:02
I must also Amen the statement... Nice Buck.... looks like it's time to prepare to start hunting deer again after a 6 year sebatical. I am also interested on your setup on your 10 mm .....can't wait to hear your specs. (I have a GSSF certificate coming and am thinking about a 10 mm).

TScottW99
11-19-2003, 02:11
Great Buck!!! Congrat's!! I've been thinking about the Glock 20 a lot lately and using it for hunting... you pic didn't help :( ;f

Glockerel
11-19-2003, 04:18
I was going to get a 10mm just for the same purpose.
Nice job!!
As soon as I saw the buck I knew you were from the Great White North. The deer folks shoot down south (NO disrespect intended, please) as so small. They look like german shepherds with a big rack.
I registered my deer in Vining, Mn where the big buck contest was happening. The monster that won was a 14 pt buck with a dressed weight of 310 lbs!!
Did you get a weight on yours?

noway
11-19-2003, 07:39
{They look like german shepherds with a big rack.}

(LOL) more like a great dane with a small rack

ithaca_deerslayer
11-19-2003, 07:45
That's one heck of a deer.

Is that an Optima 2000 scope?

Michigun
11-19-2003, 09:06
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Is that an Optima 2000 scope?

Has to be.

45acp4me
11-19-2003, 11:19
Great shot and a very nice buck. The 10mm is a very impressive round.

Regards,
Glen

vart
11-19-2003, 12:13
Deer hunting in Iowa (I'm moving there next month) is restricted to pistols, shotguns, and muzzleloaders.
I was thinking about getting a handgun for hunting deer, and was considering a single-action or revolver.
The idea of hunting with a G20 or G29 seems quite appealing...

ithaca_deerslayer
11-19-2003, 14:03
Originally posted by vart
Deer hunting in Iowa (I'm moving there next month) is restricted to pistols, shotguns, and muzzleloaders.
I was thinking about getting a handgun for hunting deer, and was considering a single-action or revolver.
The idea of hunting with a G20 or G29 seems quite appealing...

Hey, do they allow a 14" or 16" Thompson Contender/Encore in .30-30, .35rem, .308, etc? Scope one of those babies and you'll have a mini-rifle.

vart
11-19-2003, 20:20
I remember from the regs that they listed the specific "pistol" calibers that were allowed for deer, and I know for sure that .45-70 was one of them. I'll have to check the regs and see what else is allowed.

WalterGA
11-20-2003, 07:45
Originally posted by Glockerel
I was going to get a 10mm just for the same purpose.
Nice job!!
As soon as I saw the buck I knew you were from the Great White North. The deer folks shoot down south (NO disrespect intended, please) as so small. They look like german shepherds with a big rack.
I registered my deer in Vining, Mn where the big buck contest was happening. The monster that won was a 14 pt buck with a dressed weight of 310 lbs!!
Did you get a weight on yours?

So, you folks got 275# german shepherds up there in the white, barren, Gawd-forsaken Nawth?

10mmGuy
11-25-2003, 22:49
Here's (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199440) the link to an update on my hunt if anyone is interested. ;f

duncan
11-29-2003, 09:12
Excellent story.

Look, you bagged your deer and did it as efficiently as possible.

BTW - missing the mark happens a lot.

The key is put the animal down fast and harvest it!

DonD
11-29-2003, 22:57
Looks like a very healthy, well proportioned deer with a good rack. You obviously have a 6" or longer barrel, how does it chronograph with the DT loads? Don

ithaca_deerslayer
12-01-2003, 09:55
Originally posted by duncan
Excellent story.

Look, you bagged your deer and did it as efficiently as possible.

BTW - missing the mark happens a lot.

The key is put the animal down fast and harvest it!

I don't want to make the shooter feel bad, but perhaps we can discuss the shots taken and how it could be better in the future:

1. You shot with loads you didn't sight in ahead of time? Always sight in your hunting load so you know exactly where it hits, and the distance you can shoot.
2. You shot at 65 yards? That is a long ways for a handgun. Especially if you haven't sighted in with that specific load. It can be done, but as the distance increases then so does the risk. How good is the shooter? We all have to establish our limits. Here I just want to point out that most shooters reading this should not assume 65 yards is close enough for handgun hunting.
3. You worked well to get the deer you had initially shot. Waiting is good if the deer takes off out of your sight. But you have shown that if the deer is still there, then follow-up shots are a must to make sure you put down a wounded deer.
4. The non-fatal neck shot doesn't speak too well for the 10mm. Don't know if the .44 hollow points I use would have done better with that shot. What would a .30-06 soft point have done with that neck shot?

10mmGuy
12-01-2003, 22:29
ithaca
1. I acually did shoot about 20 rounds to determine if they hit in the same area as my standard deer hunting load (155gr Gold dot from GA). I would have liked to put a couple hundred rounds down range but couldn't find the time. The GS's actually grouped about 2" higher than the gold dots @ 50yds.

2. 65yds is a long ways but I am confidant out to that and beyond. A Fallow Deer at 83yds and an antelope at 90yds proves it. Both of these animals dropped in their tracks with one shot. I also dropped a whitetail doe at 65yds. Please don't misunderstand this as me trying to brag. As far as I'm concerned any hunter worth his salt should try to get much closer than this! Heck that's why I started handgun hunting! The thrill for me is not at seeing how far away I can hit a critter. It's how close I can get. Having said that, it's nice to know you CAN hit way out there if you NEED to. Now considering this particular load and lack of range time I had with it, yes perhaps I was over my yardage limit.

3. I agree as far as follow up shots are concerned. I don't care if you're using a .22 or a .50. Once hit you should shoot untill you're out of ammo or the critter is dead.

4. A neck shot as far as I'm concerned is marginal anyway. The only reason I took it is because as he was laying down it's all I could see. It instantly paralised him. It was a death dealing shot but as I came up to him I gave one more in the heart for insurance. Even if I ended is suffering a half a second earlier it was worth it. Ammo is cheap.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-02-2003, 06:42
Originally posted by 10mmGuy
ithaca
1. I acually did shoot about 20 rounds to determine if they hit in the same area as my standard deer hunting load (155gr Gold dot from GA). I would have liked to put a couple hundred rounds down range but couldn't find the time. The GS's actually grouped about 2" higher than the gold dots @ 50yds.

That part was important. My read from your details you linked to was that you didn't test that particular ammo. Glad you did. Sometimes the shots just don't land exactly where we planned.

On a brighter note. That is still one heck of a deer!