6MM Remington for deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 6MM Remington for deer

Munchkine
11-22-2003, 23:57
I am using Remington Core Lockt 100 grainers right now.

What ammo do you use?

Thanks

Munchkine

tjpet
11-23-2003, 04:32
Same.

CanyonMan
12-02-2003, 00:07
That was my very first deer gun, had a Remington model 788, they don't make that model anymore, but it was a real sweetheart!

Used 100gr. factory Remington, reloaded 105's.
I hate to hear folks say that 'ain't a good deer gun,' was for me. Made an awesome turkey gun as well.

But, as we all do, i ended up trading it to my cousin, (after he busted his nose on the scope), of a Ruger M77, in 7mm Mag. That is a good time to trade or buy, when i guy has stitches in him from his gun! :)

Enjoy it Hoss!
Try and keep it!
The ammo your using is plenty good for deer, with proper shot plaement!

Happy Holidays!
CanyonMan

paynter2
12-02-2003, 15:26
I use a 6mm for deer most of the time. Same bullets as you.

I used to have a stand on an open field - some long shooting was possible. I used 85gr SIERRA hollow point boat tails then. They were awesome.

The 6mm is plenty for deer. I've shot dozens of them with mine - a few weighed over 200# dressed. Bad medicine for deer and fun to shoot. Very accurate too.

Someday I'd like to get a 742 in 6mm. But, for now, I shoot a Ruger (tang saftey) and a M700 BDL.

ECVMatt
12-02-2003, 22:51
I use a hand load of H4831sc and sierra 100 BTSPs. I have shot this load for so long I forgot what factory ammo I used in the past. I think it was pretty much whatever was on the counter at the local general store.

Great cartridge.

Matt

mudfootball
12-03-2003, 09:01
A buddy of mine shoots 80 or 85 grain handloads. He likes to razz me because no matter how i shoot a deer with the 308 , heart/lungs, shoulder, neck they all run. He uses that little pea shooter and always puts them right down. Although he doesnt usually have an exit hole!

kt

Munchkine
12-04-2003, 07:02
My dad hand loads some softpoints for it but right now we are shooting the Remington stuff.

Great gun I agree- mine is a Remington!

Munchkine

paynter2
12-05-2003, 10:43
A buddy of mine shoots 80 or 85 grain handloads. He likes to razz me because no matter how i shoot a deer with the 308 , heart/lungs, shoulder, neck they all run. He uses that little pea shooter and always puts them right down. Although he doesnt usually have an exit hole

Exactly why I shoot a 6mm. When I was a kid, I had a .32special Win. When I hit a buck, the buck went down. I got a l ittle older and got a 30-06. Kill the deer just fine. But, they would usually run a ways before I'd get th em. The bullet was going out the far side and expending engergy into a nearby tree.

A friend, who was shooting a .243, told me to go to a smaller calibre. So, I went to a 6mm Rem - because my hunting partner had one. I've never gone back.

NOTE: The partner I mentioned above called me yesterday to say he shot a buck in northern WI last Saturday with a 20 inch inside spread, blade like brow tines and 9 inch g2s. Yes, he shot it with a 6mm Rem.

mudfootball
12-05-2003, 18:51
Might as well add this, his 6mm put an other one down in her tracks monday, tells me it was a necessity because in another 50 yds she would have been sited by another 2 hunters. Blizzard conditions tomorrow. If i brave it, the 308 better make some noise!
kt