Okay, I'll get the ball rolling. My Ten Item Cheesecake! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'll get the ball rolling. My Ten Item Cheesecake!

Eddie C.
11-23-2003, 17:29
This is a reprint from my thread for the ten item cheesecake.;f

My mother-in-law had a little old Jewish lady for a landlord in Brooklyn and it was said around Atlantic Ave. that she had a cheese cake that the Carnegie Deli would kill for. Well she NEVER gave the recipe to anyone and EVERYBODY wanted it. Well my mother-in-law took care of this lady for years and when she died everyone thought that the recipe was gone for good. Lo and Behold my mother-in-law received it from her will and she never shared it with anyone either. Then a few years ago she gave it to my wife. My wifes boss was a big wig with a major company who used to get cheese cakes shipped in from Chicago that he paid $50.00 for. My wife made him this cake one year and he stopped ordering the cake from Chicago as he said this was the BEST! Get ready to blow in everybodies doors. Remember you owe me. I want to know what your families think. This cake is from the 1940's around the time of World War II.

Ingredients:
2 8oz. packages of cream cheese softened at room temperature
16oz. cottage cheese (smooth and creamy is best)
1 3/4 cups of sugar
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbs. lemon juice
3 tbs. flour
3 tbs. corn starch
2 sticks of melted butter
1 pint of sour cream

Instructions: (Follow these to the letter)
Cream the cream cheese with an electric mixer. Rub cottage cheese through a sieve and add to cream cheese. Mix til creamy. Add sugar, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla while mixing. Next add flour and corn starch together to this mixture while still mixing. Add melted butter while still mixing. Finally add sour cream. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix til creamy. Pour batter into 8 or 9 inch Springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees until top rim rises to top of pan and turns light brown. Caution DO NOT overcook. It should be a light brown around rim not at center of cake. This usually takes from 50 to 60 minutes. Shut oven off and open door. Let cake sit in oven at least 3 hours with door ajar. It will fall back down (don't panic). Put in refrigerator and don't remove from Springform pan until fully chilled for a few hours before serving. To remove from pan run a butter knife around perimeter of cake between cake and pan to loosen. Remove outside ring of pan only, leave bottom. You may top with confectioners sugar, or any kind fruit (cherries, blueberries, strawberries etc.), or have it my favorite way- Just plain! This is called the TEN ITEM CHEESE CAKE. It is the best you will ever, ever eat. Believe me. Let me know how you like it. Eddie (Your gonna love this!)

Edited for spelling correction! Thanks Allan!;)

cocked@locked
11-23-2003, 18:56
SOUNDS GOOD you convinced me ill let you no how turns out;f ;f

groverglock
11-23-2003, 19:34
Eddie:

Did she put a bottom crust under it? Whatwere the ingredients?

Patricia
11-23-2003, 19:36
^7 ^7 I will be trying that Eddie. I got lazy and bought a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake from Sam's Club for Thanksgiving. I have a recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake that I'll have to dig up and post here. It is to die for. Your recipe has history though. That is such a cool story. :)

Eddie C.
11-23-2003, 20:04
Originally posted by groverglock
Eddie:

Did she put a bottom crust under it? Whatwere the ingredients?

No grover, no bottom crust at all. Just like it's written. Like I said you could throw strawberries, blueberries, or pineapple on top to suit your tastes. We like it just as it is. ;f

MrsKitty
11-23-2003, 20:10
Mmmm....that sounds good!

BrassInPocket
11-24-2003, 09:02
Originally posted by Eddie C.
Rub cottage cheese through a siv and add to cream cheese.

What is a siv?

I know it's going to be something so simple, I'm going to end up looking like an idiot!!

TEAK
11-24-2003, 09:11
eddie!!! I HATE YOU :( :(
you just had to post this when i am on a diet! i think i am going to blow it all just to try this. i remember reading the thread when you posted this orig. and everybody raved over it. you are an evil evil man;) but we all love ya anyhow;c ;c
ohh yeah, a siv is like a strainer. basically you want to get all the lumps out and make it a smooth paste, my guess would be like a ricotta consistency.

TomSplasky
11-24-2003, 11:34
Your my new best friend eddie ;f ;a ;f

Eddie C.
11-24-2003, 13:44
Originally posted by TEAK
.......ohh yeah, a siv is like a strainer. basically you want to get all the lumps out and make it a smooth paste, my guess would be like a ricotta consistency.

You got it TEAK! A Siv is a metal strainer where the holes are small(almost looks like a metal netting). You'll see Emerill use one when he strains something out of boiling water if he doesn't use a collander.;)

allanc
11-24-2003, 14:51
Eddie, don't you mean sieve?

http://www.cooking.speedera.net/c3aabbfb78ba8698202b8404cecb4e31/images/products/shprodde/103753.jpg

Eddie C.
11-24-2003, 15:04
Originally posted by allanc
Eddie, don't you mean sieve?

http://www.cooking.speedera.net/c3aabbfb78ba8698202b8404cecb4e31/images/products/shprodde/103753.jpg

Ya think?;i Oh man, this alzheimers is killing me. Thanks Allan.;f

allanc
11-24-2003, 15:31
Originally posted by Eddie C.
Ya think?;i Oh man, this alzheimers is killing me. Thanks Allan.;f

OK Eddie, back to grade school for you. Sometimes words are NOT spelled the way they sound. ;)

I'm not old enough for Alzheimers yet, I still just have Sometimers. ;g

WolfmanGK
11-24-2003, 20:40
Originally posted by cocked@locked
SOUNDS GOOD you convinced me ill let you no how turns out;f ;f

What is your opinion, sir?

Mild Bill
11-24-2003, 22:44
I've made this cheesecake three times and it's real good...
It's fluffy, creamy and flavorful...
I use Splenda so it's more Atkin's friendly, but I can taste the Splenda, so I wish I could
follow Eddie's recipe exactly, I know it would be better...

I bought the ingredients yesterday for another one.

Not that it needs to be improved, but I'm gonna tweak this next one a little, trying to get a denser,
creamy, flavorful result and less fluffy...
An extra package of cream cheese I'm thinking, with a little extra sugar and vanilla... We'll see...

;c

Eddie C.
11-25-2003, 06:59
Go for it Bill. Sounds great. I'm Italian, we are forever tweaking our food. Hahaha! Have a great holiday! Eddie C.;f

Mild Bill
11-27-2003, 14:03
I left it in a few seconds too long but it won't matter none...

I like the golden look...

Eddie C.
11-27-2003, 16:39
Good Job Bill! I like it on the well done side myself. Only the wife likes it light. She usually wins;U DARN! Hahahaha! Nice pic too Bill.

MarkCO
01-01-2004, 10:35
Eddie, made the Cheesecake the night of the 30th and ate it last night. Just FYI, at 5500 feet, the recipee worked great, baked for 62 minutes. I did add a thin graham cracker crust with some spices, really accented the cake well. Topped with strawberries, but it was great just as it is.

Also, did not have a sieve, so I just put the cottage cheese in the blender and ran it until smooth. Worked just fine, and probably less work.

You are right, it is the best cheesecake I have ever had and everyone raved about it. With elk tenderloins and my skin on mashed potatoes, my food was a hit at our party. THANKS!

Eddie C.
01-01-2004, 11:08
Mark, I'm glad you liked it. It's funny you said that about running the cottage cheese through a blender. This Christmas we ran it through the Cuisinart. Perfect! Isn't it great when we improvise and it works out great.;f It is great whether you top it off or eat it plain. This year my wife made a topping out of Raspberries and raspberry jam. Yummmm! Thanks buddy!;)

Mild Bill
01-02-2004, 16:22
I have a large 14 cup Cuisinart processor, and for one of the cheesecakes I made,
I tossed EVERYTHING into it and buzzed it for 10 or so seconds...
The ingredients barely fit!

I think it turned out just as good... Not great because I used Splenda...
The one in the photo was the only one made with sugar sugar, and was by far the best one...

I had to see what the recipe was SUPPOSED to taste like!

;c

Eddie C.
01-02-2004, 16:38
Bill, that's okay, it's good to try it once in a while with the good stuff! Glad you enjoyed it my friend. I hope everyone had a super holiday and have a wonderful New Year. Salute!;c

MrsKitty
04-10-2005, 09:40
I am just bumping a few of these I don't want to see get purged :)

MarkCO
04-11-2005, 12:13
Blueberry Sauce for Eddies Cake...

Take 1/2 cup sugar and mix with 2 tbs cornstarch in saucepan, add 2 tbs lemon juice 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 tsp pumkin pie spice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg mix), add 2 cups of frozen bluberries and stir over med-hi heat until thickens. Cool and serve over cake...Awesome!

nickg
04-11-2005, 13:28
my mom used to use ricotta cheese in her cheesecake and it was UNBELIEVEABLY YUMMY!!

a few weeks ago one of my wife's coworkers brought back a cheesecake that he got at a deli in NYC. my wife tasted it and said "oh my god, this taste just like my mother in law's cheescake".

so when i went to pick her up for lunch she brought some of it out with her and said "TASTE THIS CHEESCAKE". i took a bite and man oh man it tasted just like my mom used to make. i was in heaven!!! :) :) :)