Southern Fried Turkey [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Southern Fried Turkey

whiskey_moodz
11-23-2003, 22:25
This is how I am doing this years turkey ...

Southern Fried Turkey

Recipe Summary
Prep Time : 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Inactive Prep Time 12 minutes Yield: 6 to 8 servings

8 ounces unsalted butter
2 1/2 ounces red pepper sauce
1/2 cup water
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
12 to 13 pound turkey
Approximately 6 gallons peanut oil
Combine butter, red pepper sauce, water, garlic, and bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil the sauce for 10 minutes to reduce. As it cooks, the color will deepen. Allow the sauce to cool before injecting it into the turkey. It is best to inject the turkey with the sauce at least 12 hours before frying.
Set up a 40-quart deep fryer with burner base and propane tank according to manufacturer's directions. As a safety precaution, measure the amount of oil needed to fry by filling the pot first with water and covering the turkey by 1-inch. You may want to put the turkey in a plastic bag for ease. Remove the turkey and mark the water level on the side of the pot ? this insures no spill over when working with hot oil. Pour out the water, dry the pot and turkey thoroughly.
Fill the pot with oil and heat to 350 degrees F. Have a deep fry thermometer attached to the pot. Put the turkey on the fry stand and attach to the metal hanger that comes with the fry kit. Slowly ease the turkey into the hot oil, long oven mitts and an apron are essential.
Keep a close eye as the oil bubbles up. Turkey cooks 4 minutes per pound so check it at 45 minutes. The internal temperature of the bird should read on a thermometer between 170 and 180 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the oil as carefully as it went in.
Set the turkey stand on a roasting pan to drain the excess oil. Let the turkey rest for 15 minutes so the juices settle before removing and carving.

Whiskey Moodz

MrsKitty
11-23-2003, 23:41
We will deep fry our turkey this year too.

Last year I gave my next-door neighbors one for Christmas as they had never had one. They LOVED it!

Chickens are good deep fried too;)

Patricia
11-24-2003, 10:37
I've had one of those turkey fryers for a couple of years and still haven't used it for turkey. My problem is, a 12 to 13 pound turkey is never enough for us for Thanksgiving AND to have leftovers. Maybe I'll try cooking two small ones some time.

hidden_19
11-24-2003, 19:48
test frying a chicken tomorrow, just to get the idea of what to expect. will be my first time deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving.

whiskey_moodz
12-17-2003, 21:11
I had forgot to ask but how did everyone turkeys' turn out here is a picture of mine

Whiskey Moodz

hidden_19
12-17-2003, 22:56
i dont have a pic of mine but it turned out bangin!! i Will never have anothe turkey day w/o my fried turkey!! ;c ;c

starglocks
12-19-2003, 06:42
Be careful!
I heard on the radio (and that means it must be true, right? (LOL))a that lots of folks burn their house down frying turkeys. Seems they do it in a location that is inside their house or garage/carport. It goes like this -

Get the fryer FULL of hot oil
Dunk the turkey for frying
Shazam! Lots of oil spills over the fryer onto the hot propane flame
Fire!

I'm sure you all know to not do that, but be sure to tell others that may not know how to fry the bird.

Cajun
12-20-2003, 10:17
Originally posted by hidden_19
test frying a chicken tomorrow, just to get the idea of what to expect. will be my first time deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Please note that deep frying a chicken takes 9 minutes per pound, as the chest cavity is much smaller. A turkey frys as much from the inside as from the outside, not so with a chicken. I had to work for turkey day but the family has me frying 2 of them for christmas.

P.S. deep fried 22 chickens for a family reunion 2 years ago, and every one loved it! and still took less time than preparing and frying it the old fashioned way.