Hand & Face mask (ducks) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hand & Face mask (ducks)

noway
11-24-2003, 12:45
Can somebody reccommend a good glove that provides adequate grip for holding you're shotgun?

Also what do you do with you're face? Mask,scarf,or paints?

I whent duck hunting this weekend and couldn't get a duck to even thinking about slowing down to look at my decoy spread. I felt my face was masked pretty well but my hands wheren't.

Every duck that slow down for a second sped off or just plain wheren't interested. I hit one duck, that was wounded and flew off about 70-90yrds and landed in bunch of Cattails, but that was all she wrote. Other than having Coots landing everywhere around me and accidently mistaking & shooting one, this trip out was pretty lame.

mpol777
11-24-2003, 13:45
Masks are the easiest and most confortable way to go. They come in all sorts of materials. I have two. One that's a very light mesh for hot weather and a thicker cotton one for colder weather. I'm about 3 shades darker than an albino, so my pale white face sticks out like a sore thumb in dawn light and the mask really helps. ;f

BTW - if you find somebody who ties flies, they may be interested in some of those coot feathers. Other than that they're useless.

noway
11-24-2003, 13:55
{ BTW - if you find somebody who ties flies, they may be interested in some of those coot feathers. Other than that they're useless.}

Nice information to know. Too bad the coot -feathers from the one I took home is pretty much in the garbage.

If you want feathers, I'll just give them to you. I have no use for them, you will have to tell me what feathers. I would assume the ones on the neck and head area.

It's kinda a stupid bird and you got to laugh at it's legs.;f

mpol777
11-24-2003, 14:14
Thanks for the offer. I don't tie flies myself and I'm not even sure which feathers are useful. My dad used to tie his own and this info comes from him.

They're the type of bird that makes you wonder about evolution. ;f

D25
11-24-2003, 14:24
I use basic, el-cheapo neoprine gloves with the trigger finger cut off. They keep you warm, even when wet, provide a good grip on the Wingmaster, and are nice when it's time to pick up the decoys.

noway
11-24-2003, 15:00
D25, any particular colors or brands?

I whent to a local outdoor shop down here and they had some gloves like what you describe but fingerless and mainly used for surf boarders and PWC folks. I passed since they wherewith out all 5 fingers and cost way to much.

The cloth gloves I have are nice for outdoor work but leaves alot to desire on getting a good grip with wet hands on the hard plastic forearm, and quite frankly they feel strange.

{They're the type of bird that makes you wonder about evolution.}

agreed, I call them the half-duck and half "whatever it is" bird. Funny little creatures when swimming or trying to take off and quite noisy ( vocal wise) but not as vocal as the Gallinules.

D25
11-24-2003, 15:05
Originally posted by noway
D25, any particular colors or brands?

They are just regular black neoprine gloves. I think I bought them at Wallyworld for less than $10.

LawRand
11-24-2003, 20:31
I bought these gloves. I like them. Don't use a face mask but have several turkey hunting masks if I did.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=49167&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=14&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

Chupy
11-24-2003, 21:29
I have the same ones as LawRand. Love them. Nice tight fit and keep my hands warm.

Michigun
11-25-2003, 07:53
Originally posted by noway
... you will have to tell me what feathers. I would assume the ones on the neck and head area.

Originally posted by mpol777
... I'm not even sure which feathers are useful.

I don’t tie flies myself or even fish for that matter, but understand that the feathers “fly tiers” want are located (see attached picture) at the ‘wing pit’ of the duck... They’re located on the side of the duck & not on the wing itself. There aren’t very many, maybe 5 to 10 on each side is all. The feathers are fairly small, (an 1” or so) very, very soft, fluffy & light.

noway
11-25-2003, 08:40
Thanks for the information. That's very interesting. I also recall the very small rear-end tail feathers are very soft and seem to be suitable for flies.

Michigun
11-25-2003, 10:19
The only reason I know is because I get to do some duck hunting with a friend every now & then that retrieves these feathers off of every wood duck we shoot. He’s not a “fly tier” either, but has a friend in Michigan’s UP that does. He uses the flies himself, but makes them mostly to sell. I guess he gets $5 for every fly that has one of those wood duck feathers in it… he only seems to be interested in the wood duck feathers though. Maybe not all duck species feathers are created equal?

mudfootball
11-25-2003, 10:23
there are days were that sun is coming up and man you just know your white face is being seen, saturday was one of them, had guys 300yds from us and i could count there faces in the hedgerow. For gloves i like those wool jobs wallyworld has with no finger tips and rubber stubble on the palms. I like something dark, because i realized when i call mallards i move my calling hand alot, and when on the goose flute, both hands move like crazy. The problem with a face mask that i have found, and i know they have them to accomoadte this problem is getting an airtight seal on the call with my mouth. Oh and in january's 10 degree temps there is nothing quite like the soggy facy mask touching your face after you breath through it a few hours.
My solution a big brimmed hat!
kt