We never talk about soup... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We never talk about soup...

ExxoticOne
11-24-2003, 11:51
I love soup...and it's getting cold here in Florida...60 degrees! What are some of your favorites...and feel free to post the recipe too:)

I love home-made soup...Lobster Bisque, Black Bean, Italian Wedding Soup, Pasta Fagioli, Tortilla Soup, even Gazpacho...that and a few glasses of wine and I'm set. Best thing, most of the time you can make it low-cal or low-fat.

Cali-Glock
11-24-2003, 15:55
Eric's Creamy Chicken Tomato soup

4-5 cloves garlic (more or less depending on your garlic tolerance)
12 ounce can condensed tomato soup
12 ounces milk/cream
12 ounces chicken broth
1 t olive oil
Chives

Slice the garlic cloves into THIN slivers
Heat olive oil in a pot, add the garlic slices, and gently sauté. (DON'T BURN)
Add chicken broth (I dump this in before the condensed soup or milk//cream as the broth won't scald/burn when dumped into the hot pan) Then add the condensed tomato soup and milk (or cream) mix thoroughly and heat.

Serve with some chopped chives sprinkled in the center of each bowl of soup.

When I make this soup, I don't actually measure the milk/cream or the chicken broth. Sometimes I use less milk/cream, and more broth, other times, less broth, more milk/cream. (Rarely will I actually use the chives, but it makes for a nice touch when serving to company.)

Delicious!!!

When I was a bachelor, this would be part of what I would serve to unexpected guests. In addition to the soup, I would serve a mixed salad, and some pasta with homemade cream sauce. (Usually used cheese tortellini or whatever premium frozen pasta I had purchased on sale!)

Whipping this little meal up for unexpected guests, always made a good impression.

edited to add: the other day I made a low cal/fat version the other day - using non-fat broth, and non-fat half and half - tasted just as rich and was low in Weight Watchers Points (R) - (I forget how many points.)

Patricia
11-24-2003, 17:53
I love soup! I save the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving and make turkey soup. I throw the entire carcass in a huge pot with water, add some chopped carrots and celery, and a couple of onions. I don't chop the onions, just throw them in halfed because they get taken out later. I cook that for a couple of hours, strain all the bones out, and then salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add potaotes, or dumplings. The remaining turkey meat from the bones falls off and is very tender.

blackopsglock
11-24-2003, 19:13
Sams sells some soup called Bear Creek chunky potato soup that is out of this world.

A lot like o charlies when you add some cheese to it.

Shoeless
11-24-2003, 19:26
I have discovered an easy way to make a fast and pretty healthy soup at the spur of the moment. It's not gourmet, but it is simple and not bad for me, and because it's so easy and fast, it has saved me many times from just grabbing something high-fat or sweet when I'm hungry.

I buy:

~Many cans of chicken stock at the store (get the ones with the pop-tops, they are so easy)

~Canned corn, carrots, beans, peas, potatoes, whatever I'm in the mood for.

~Fresh or frozen spinach

So when I want a fast healthy soup, I just open the can of stock, toss in the canned or frozen veggies that I want, and heat it to boiling on the stove. Presto, soup!

Shoeless

PatrolMom
11-24-2003, 20:22
1 pkg. Bear Creek Tortilla soup mix
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic...smashed
Sour cream
Green onions...chopped
Fresh tomato...chopped
Black olives...pitted and sliced
Corn tortillas...cut in strips and deep fried until crispy
Avocado...sliced
Chopped fresh cilantro

Make soup according to directions
Saute' garlic, olive oil and chicken until tender...slice
Add chicken meat to soup

Serve soup with a layer of chopped green onion, tomatoes, olives and crunch corn tortilla strips and avocado slices and cilantro

Betcha you don't eat just one bowl...;f

MrsKitty
11-24-2003, 21:04
Originally posted by blackopsglock
Sams sells some soup called Bear Creek chunky potato soup that is out of this world.

I know this stuff well;)

hidden_19
11-24-2003, 21:08
moms chicken noodle, sorry no recipe...its a family secret. ;)

Zak3056
11-24-2003, 21:53
I'm more partial to stews than soups, myself.

Zak's Beef Stew:

3lbs sirloin tip roast
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 medium onions
1 celery heart
1 1/2lbs baby carrots
6 medium-large potatoes
Veggies of choice (I use corn, peas, maybe some green beans.)
4 Cups beef stock/broth
1 cup red wine
1 small can tomato paste (optional)

Cut roast into 1" cubes, and dredge cubes in flour. Brown meat in olive oil in pot over medium-high heat. Remove meat and set aside.

Slice onions and celery heart, and add to pot along with chopped garlic. Add oil as needed to keep from drying out and sticking/burning. Saute until soft.

Return meat to pot, and add stock, wine, and tomato paste if desired. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming fat from surface.

Cube potatoes, and add to stew along with baby carrots and veggies. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Serve with garlic bread, biscuits, cornbread, dinner rolls, etc.

knuckle dragger
11-24-2003, 21:56
I love beef barley soup.

BillCola
11-24-2003, 21:58
Soup is the mark of a real chef. Soup is love. I love soup. Therefore I love love. ;3

SmartOne
11-24-2003, 22:13
~2 If you want to make any of the soup recipes here taste better, head on over to your local health foods store and pick up a container of, either, white or red MISO. Very good tasting and the natural bacteria it contains is, also, good for you! (Miso is an old oriental martial arts secret!) I like mine with Sidearmor's turkey stock soup - yummm! ;)

hwyhobo
11-24-2003, 22:39
Miso is great. Another paste that I like to use is Sour Shrimp Paste from NR Instant Products of Thailand. It's great as a base for one of my favorite soups, Tom Kha Gai.

However, one should be aware that both miso and sour shrimp paste are very salty, so make sure it agrees with your dietary requirements.

BTW, in my area miso is available at any Asian supermarket. I never even thought of looking for it at a health food store. Live and learn.

ExxoticOne
11-24-2003, 22:55
Tamarind base is also very good.

SanduneCC
11-24-2003, 22:58
You want soup, I got your soup right here!

Nothing like a bowl of PHO to make you feel loved all over.

http://www.pholist.org/images/pho_josh.jpg

hwyhobo
11-24-2003, 23:08
Oh, yeah... If you like seafood pho, and you're ever in San Jose, Pho Mai at the corner of Landess and Morrill (right on the border of Milpitas) makes the best one in this area.

pizzaaguy
11-25-2003, 08:22
I made a pot of this last weekend. GOOD STUFF!

Top Secret Recipes
version of
Chili's®
Southwestern Vegetable Soup

If you like a soup that's packed with veggies, that's low in fat, and has some of that Southwestern zing to it, this is the one for you. Just toss all the ingredients in a pot and simmer. Garnish with some shredded cheese and crumbled tortillas, and prepare to take the chill off.

6 cups chicken broth (Swanson is best)
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup water
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans, with liquid
1 cup frozen yellow cut corn
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
dash garlic powder

Garnish
1 cup grated cheddar/jack cheese blend
1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips

1. Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Be sure to mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup.
2. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved.
3. To serve soup ladle 1 1/2 cups into a bowl. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the grated cheddar/jack cheese blend over the top of the soup, and then a heaping tablespoon of crumbled corn tortilla chips over the cheese.

mhambi
11-25-2003, 08:37
Creamy chicken broccoli.

add 2 cups of chopped broccoli flowers to a skillet, almost cover with water. Add garlic salt to taste, cook until soft. Add chopped chicken (frozen, that hormel stuff, or a batch of fresh cooked), also about 2 cups.

In a large* pot add one gallon of milk and one lb of butter. Raise heat slowly. Stir often. When almost boiling add sifted flour with a whisk until it starts to boil and thicken. Careful not to burn (gas range a plus here). When the consistency of heavy cream remove from heat and add 5 cups of grated cheddar cheese, and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. You should end up with a very thick base. Add broccoli, chicken and enough of the cooking water to get the thickness you desire. Simmer on low- I've found that with this soup, the longer it simmers on low, the better it is. (at least 1-2 hours)

*I know this makes a lot of soup, I learned it at a particular eating establishment and had to cook enough to last through lunch...:)

I hear that this soup is very good for your arteries... ;f

mhambi
11-25-2003, 08:46
Oh yeah, Soup.

he used to post here, I remember him. ;f

hwyhobo
11-25-2003, 11:28
mhambiI hear that this soup is very good for your arteries... ;f Yes, it makes them strong and resistant to bending.

~1

MarkCO
11-25-2003, 14:50
For me, thick hearty soups only...

My Favorite 3: My Wild Elk Chili, Hearty Clam Chowder, Chicken & Butterballs (this is very good and a hearty filling alternative to chicken soup). My wife might let me post the recipee if I ask nice.