Your best Enchilada recipes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your best Enchilada recipes

WolfmanGK
11-24-2003, 19:59
I want to hear everyone's favorite Enchilada recipes. My favorite Mexican food, and thusly my favorite food, is the Cheese Enchilada. I realize due to the lack of complex ingredient mixtures used to fabricate such a dish, that it leaves little room for experimentation, however, I am hoping possibly someone has used a radical ingrediant that will prove to be worth the bandwidth this thread will consume, if any.

Thank you!

blackopsglock
11-24-2003, 20:11
When you find out let me know.

I have been trying to duplicate those good ole enchiladas that are at all of the Cancun style resturants for years and cannot come close.

I have tried white cheddar that I love but cannot come up with a good sause.I tried all of the canned stuff out there but nothing comes close.

WolfmanGK
11-24-2003, 20:35
I feel your pain!! My friend, it's all in the sauce! At LaCapilla, the best Mexican restaurant in the world, (Only the one in huntington beach though) the sauce is so good, I have to ask for another container of it.

Garweh
12-06-2003, 13:34
The best enchilada sauce is HOMEMADE and easy to do!

Recipe:
15 to 20 dried New Mexican Red Chiles, stems removed
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 medium onion, peeled
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano

Method:
Remove stems from chiles and place chiles in large bowl. Heat chicken stock and water to a boil, pour over chiles in bowl, cover and let steep for 1 hour. After chiles have steeped, remove them from the liquid (reserve the liquid) and place them in a food processor or blender (you may need to do this in batches) with enough reserved soaking liquid to cover. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano. Process or blend until pureed. Strain the puree through a fine sieve into a saucepot. Cook the chile sauce over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. It is now ready for use as a base for chile, for a sauce for enchiladas, or as a braising sauce for carne adovada. The sauce freezes well.
The degree of spice to the red sauce will vary due natural variations in the chile. This is a relatively mild sauce and any "heat" can be tamed by slitting the dried chiles open and removing the seeds/veins prior to soaking.

For New Mexican style enchiladas:
New Mexican style enchiladas are LAYERED (like lasagna) and not rolled. This makes for a much easier preparation. Heat a saute pan over medium high heat, soften corn tortillas by heating for about 15 seconds per side in the hot pan. Dip the softened tortilla in warm red sauce and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the tortilla with grated cheese (queso fresco is best, but jack and cheddar work well) and chopped oven, cover with more red sauce, repeat this for a total of three layers. Pour red sauce over to cover (or to taste, we like LOTS of sauce) and heat covered in an 350 degree oven until bubbly. Serve immediately with a fried egg on top, if desired.
Cooked, shredded, marinated chicken or skirt steak may also be added. Just layer on top of tortillas with the cheese and the onions and continue as above.

If anyone wants recipes for carne adovada (pork marinated and braised in red chile sauce)or green chile stew, just ask and I will post them.

allanc
12-06-2003, 13:49
Originally posted by Garweh
If anyone wants recipes for carne adovada (pork marinated and braised in red chile sauce)or green chile stew, just ask and I will post them.

Of course, post them. ;f

mzenzer
12-06-2003, 14:11
ˇBien!, ˇtengo hambre ahora para los enchiladas! ;f

Garweh
12-06-2003, 18:11
Hi all. Recipes for GREEN CHILE STEW and CARNE ADOVADA follow. Sorry, but this is a long post!

GREEN CHILE STEW
Ingredients:

2 pounds pork, trimmed of visible fat and cubed (loin works well)
4 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped OR 6 canned tomatoes, crushed
1 large onion, diced
8 to 10 green chiles, peeled/seeded/chopped (see note below)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
2 dried red chiles, stemmed and crushed
5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

Method:

Heat the oil in Dutch oven until hot over medium high heat. Brown the pork well on all sides (do this in small batches). Remove the pork from the Dutch oven and sauté the onion until brown. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the pork and all the ingredients EXCEPT the potatoes. Add water (or chicken broth) to ALMOST cover the ingredients in the pot and bring to a simmer on the stove. Place lid on Dutch oven and transfer to a preheated 350 degree oven and braise for 2 ˝ hour, covered.

Add the potatoes and continue to braise until meat and potatoes are tender (about 45 minutes).

Serves 4 to 6

NOTE: Fresh or frozen fire-roasted green chiles that have been thawed (if frozen), peeled, seeded, and chopped are the chiles of choice for this dish. Varieties of green chiles include; Big Jim (medium), Sandia (hot), and Barker’s (extra hot). They are available from The New Mexican Connection (nmcchile.com). Fresh poblano chiles (available in most supermarkets) may also be used. Poblanos should be roasted until the skin is blackened and then placed in a bag to steam the skins loose. The skins are then removed along with the stems and seeds. The poblanos are chopped and used as above. DO NOT use canned green chiles; they do not have the correct flavor!!!

CARNE ADOVADA
Ingredients:

4 pounds pork loin (bone-in or boneless)
2 tsp. kosher salt
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 to 3 tsp. oregano
1 qt. red chile sauce

Method:

Heat Dutch oven over medium high heat until hot. Sprinkle meat with the salt. Brown the meat on all sides in Dutch oven. Add garlic and oregano to the red chile sauce. Pour sauce over meat, turn to coat, cover Dutch oven, and marinate meat in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours (sauce should come half way, or so, up the side of the meat).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove Dutch oven from refrigerator and bring meat/sauce to a simmer on the stove. After meat/sauce comes to a simmer, place covered Dutch oven in the 350 degree oven and braise the pork until tender (2 to 3 hours), turning pork once. Remove from oven, remove meat from pot and allow meat to cool. While the meat is cooling, defat the sauce (sauce will have a nice “porky” flavor without the greasiness from the fat). When the meat is cool, shred it and add to the sauce. This is a great filling for burritos and is also good served with rice and beans or just with flour tortillas.

RED CHILE SAUCE
Ingredients:

15 to 20 dried New Mexican Red Chiles, stems removed
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 medium onion, peeled
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano

Method:
Remove stems from chiles and place chiles in large bowl. Heat chicken stock and water to a boil, pour over chiles in bowl, cover and let steep for 1 hour. After chiles have steeped, remove them from the liquid (reserve the liquid) and place them in a food processor or blender (you may need to do this in batches) with enough reserved soaking liquid to cover. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano. Process or blend until pureed. Strain the puree through a fine sieve into a saucepot. Cook the chile sauce over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. It is now ready for use as a base for chile, for a sauce for enchiladas, or as a braising sauce for carne adovada. The sauce freezes well.
The degree of spice to the red sauce will vary due natural variations in the chile. This is a relatively mild sauce and any "heat" can be tamed by slitting the dried chiles open and removing the seeds/veins prior to soaking.