The Mexican food thread!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Mexican food thread!!

WolfmanGK
11-24-2003, 20:01
Yay!

Your best Mexican recipes are appreciated greatly here!

Thank you!

blackopsglock
11-24-2003, 20:17
I have found that I can make Chicken Fajitas almost as good at home as they can as the rest rants.

Just get a package of Fajita mix from the store and mix in your favorite vegetables and ckin.

allanc
11-24-2003, 22:27
Take some chalupa shells, smear with canned refried beans, top with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, and bake in the oven until cheese melts. Add some shredded lettuce and tomato. Enjoy your chalupas. ;g

Patricia
11-25-2003, 10:13
Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas

2 packages flour tortillas (burrito size)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 cans diced green chilies

1 lb shredded monteray jack cheese

1 lb shredded cheddar cheese

1 pint sour cream

Mix soup, chilies, sour cream, and half of each cheese. Fill torillas with mixture and place in large greased baking dish (I use two 13 x 9 ones). Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Let cool a bit before serving.

JaviFL
11-25-2003, 10:26
Quick and Easy Dip

It only takes about 15 minutes to make this stuff. It is not authentic Mexican, but hey, eat it up, then Vaya con Dion, señor (or (señora.)

Fry up about a pound of ground beef. Melt some Velveeta (The spicy Mexican variety works good)in the microwave. Stir beef into the Velveeta. Pour some of your favorite salsa in there. Heat up some more, then stir until everything is mixed well. It is good just like that, but can go ahead and season to your taste. I use tabasco and Pickapeppa sauce.

MrsKitty
11-25-2003, 15:07
Originally posted by blackopsglock
I have found that I can make Chicken Fajitas almost as good at home as they can as the rest rants.

Just get a package of Fajita mix from the store and mix in your favorite vegetables and ckin.

Tell me, how do you get the tomatoes cooked like the Mexican places do? Mine always get mushy but still taste good. They just ain't purdy:(

allanc
11-25-2003, 15:10
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Tell me, how do you get the tomatoes cooked like the Mexican places do? Mine always get mushy but still taste good. They just ain't purdy:(

You need to use really firm tomatoes (even a little under ripe). Also, don't cook them for long and make sure the plancha or cast iron skillet (you do use one don't you ;)) is very hot.

blackopsglock
11-25-2003, 22:06
Originally posted by allanc
You need to use really firm tomatoes (even a little under ripe). Also, don't cook them for long and make sure the plancha or cast iron skillet (you do use one don't you ;)) is very hot.

ditto

MrsKitty
11-25-2003, 23:18
Aha!

Cast iron skillet!

(I knew that.....)

(Now why in world wasn't I doing that;Q)

f1b32oPTic
11-26-2003, 00:04
i make fried catfish tacos...they are a success with my friends and family...

i cut my catfish into 1" x 4" strips and i dip them in egg and then into seasoned cornmeal and fry until golden brown.

i always use soft corn tortillas which i wrap in aluminum foil and heat in the oven for about 15 minutes at 300 degrees.

next is the important part. get a cup of sourcream and add a teaspoon of finely ground cayenne pepper and mix well.

squeeze a little lime juice over the catfish fingers and make tacos.

add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and guacamole and you will never go back to ground beef.

put the catfish in the tortilla first and put a spoonful of the sourcream right on the fish and build your taco from there.
i like a hot habenero sauce too

Mild Bill
11-26-2003, 08:26
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
i make fried catfish tacos...they are a success with my friends and family...

i cut my catfish into 1" x 4" strips and i dip them in egg and then into seasoned cornmeal and fry until golden brown.

i always use soft corn tortillas which i wrap in aluminum foil and heat in the oven for about 15 minutes at 300 degrees.

next is the important part. get a cup of sourcream and add a teaspoon of finely ground cayenne pepper and mix well.

squeeze a little lime juice over the catfish fingers and make tacos.

add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and guacamole and you will never go back to ground beef.

put the catfish in the tortilla first and put a spoonful of the sourcream right on the fish and build your taco from there.
i like a hot habenero sauce too

Dude!
;c

slightlyabnorml
11-26-2003, 10:28
easy and delicious

1 can refried beans
8 oz container sour cream
1 pkt taco seasoning mix
1 1/2-2 c shredded cheese
3/4 c chopped tomatoes
small can chopped black olives
1/2 c chopped green onion

spread refried beans in bottom of dish, mix sour cream
and taco seasoning til well blended, spread over beans.
layer remaining ingerdients ovet beans and sour cream mixture.
serve with tortilla chips.

Cali-Glock
11-26-2003, 12:19
Corn Salsa

roast 3-5+ jalapeños and other peppers to your liking over an open flame chop up said jalapeños etc.

chop up 1 red onion, the roasted peppers, and several cloves of garlic - sauté in olive oil until the onions are translucent.

Chill the above items.

To the above mixture (now cooled) add
Several chopped roma tomatoes, a head of chopped fresh cilantro, a teaspoon (approx) oregano, and a can (drained) of corn.

Salt to taste.

Serve with chips, or mix with your favorite cheese to make quesadillas.

Alex_Knight
11-26-2003, 12:53
Patricia's Ebonic Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas

Yo buss dis.

Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas 2 packages flour tortillas (burrito size)

2 cans cream uh chicken soup
2 cans diced green chilies
1 lb of da shredded monteray jack cheese
1 lb of da shredded cheddar cheese
1 pint sour cream

Mix soup, chilies, sour cream, an' half uh each cheese. Fill torillas wit mixtua an' place in large greased bakin dish (I use two 13 x 9 ones). Sprinkle wit remainin cheeses an' bake at 350 fuh 'bout30 minutes. Let cool a bit befo servin. Sheeit!

;f ;f ;f

gibbons025
11-29-2003, 00:59
Mexican Food enough said. Cant get enough^7

Garweh
12-12-2003, 07:52
See my replies on the "enchilada recipe" thread. Those recipes wil make you "Happy, Happy, Happy"!

noway
12-12-2003, 08:22
Carne Asada tacos

flank or skirt steak
3 tbsp garlic powder
alittle bit of canola oil
2 tbsp finely ground oregano ( optional )
1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
1 large white onion,
Hand full of chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
dozen steamed hot flour tortillas

Cut steak into small piece or chop. grill steak along with fresh squeeze juice ( limon or Lime ) add salt & pepper with chopped onions and cilantro.

Wrap mixture in double layer of thin flour tortilla.

For the salsa;

4-8 small tomatoes ( Tomatillos ) use green for green salsa or red for red.
2 sml Jalapeno
2 chopped fine garlic cloves
2 small yellow chop onions
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
optional ( chopped cilantro )

1 tbs crushed red peppers

Remove stems & husks from all tomatoes and peppers.

Cut the piece to fit a small blender and mix all items and blend slowly till you have the correct thickness.

HINT: You adjust heat of the salsa by adding or reducing peppers

{i make fried catfish tacos...they are a success with my friends and family...}

Seriously when did catfish tacos become mexican food? I guess next Taco Bell is mexican food?

;g

{Tell me, how do you get the tomatoes cooked like the Mexican places do? Mine always get mushy but still taste good. They just ain't purdy }

HINT: use semi-ripe Tomatillos, that's the correct tomatoe to use in most Tex-Mex food that is easier to cook with and more forgiving.Most Mexican dish in Mexico use this style tomatoes vrs the traditional vine ripen tomatoes that you see in most gringos stores. So take a trip to a Latino Market and pick a firm tomatillo that shows no physical damage and use them. If they are not ripe you can store them for longer periods prior to use. The husk also keeps them protected till use.

Glockerel
12-12-2003, 09:17
1 lb. jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded. Remove veins too if you can't take the heat.

Filling:
Combine in bowl

1 block cream cheese, softened
3/4 sup shredded cheddar cheese
5 gr. onions, sliced thinly
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
5 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
bread crumbs
cooking oil spray

Using a butter knife, fill the pepper cavities with enough filling so it just is over opening's height.
Press the filling side into the bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet.
Spray top of filled peppers with cooking spray.
Bake in a preheated 350f oven for about 20 minutes.
The longer you bake them, the softer and milder they are.
I like them still slightly crispy and HOT!

PatrolMom
12-16-2003, 10:14
Chili Rellenos:

Poblano chilis, remove seeds, but maintain a hollow chili pepper.
Monterey jack cheese
olive oil
egg yolks
Flour for dusting
fresh limes
egg whites
Green onion, chopped for garnish
Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl, marinate jack cheese in olive oil and lots of fresh limes. Toss the lime pieces into the bowl. Chill for several hours.

When you are ready to eat, stuff wedges of the marinated cheese into the hollowed out peppers.

Whip the (cold bowl and whites) egg whites until stiff peaks form. Roll stuffed peppers in egg yolks and dust with flour. Then, roll floured peppers into the egg whites and immediately drop into a frying pan with hot oil.

Fry a few at a time, until golden brown and remove quickly and place on paper towels.

Garnish with green onion and chopped cilantro and serve immediately. (Note: cheese should be melted inside peppers)

nickg
12-16-2003, 10:24
EVERY mexican dish consists of meat, vegetables, cheese and some sort of sauce with some sort of tortilla shell. ;f ;f ;f

noway
12-16-2003, 10:31
one more salsa mix that I have to add that goes well with grilled skirt steak or most meats is Salsa with Arbol

This is a common Mexican chile pepper that gets no recogintion.

2 arbol chile peppers dried and crush
2 tsp of olive oil
2-3 sml tomatillo dehusked and chopped )
1 sml stew tomatoe chopped
1 sml chopped fine onion ( yellow )
1 garlic clove chopped
salt and pepper to taste
handful of cilantro

Take the olive oil and heat in a small skillet and added onions and crush arbol peppers. Stir and cook this until the onions are soft.

In a small food blender add this mixture along with chopped garlic and tomatillos/tomatoes and blend to the correct thickness that you like ( thicker for chips and thinner for meats works great in my household )

add salt and pepper to you're taste and top with fine chop cilantro. Some people like to lightly boil the tomatoes but I pefer them uncook.

enjoy with a ice cold Negra Modelo

;c