Christmas Cookie Thread... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cookie Thread...

ExxoticOne
11-24-2003, 19:06
I make a ton of cookies over the holidays so I have to start early and buy all my sugar/chocolate in bulk.

First recipe:

Kitchen Sink Cookies

Yields about 4 dozen large cookies. The best way to eat them is warm with some vanilla ice cream between them...and some Baily's Irish Creme on the side.
Lots of ingredients but they’re simple to make.

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (The can with the ugly dude on it)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
1 cup raisins (I use Craisins cause I like cranberries, use what you like...or omit completely.)
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a very large bowl with a wooden spoon, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Stir in vanilla.

3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir into butter mixture until well blended. Add oats, chips, coconut, raisins (or Craisins), and walnuts, and stir until well blended.

4. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons or with a 1 ounce ice-cream scoop onto silpat about 2 inches apart. Press tops down with the bottom of a glass to flatten cookies evenly. Bake until golden, about 16 to 18 minutes. Cool on pan for 2 minutes. Remove from pan, and finish cooling completely on wire rack.

5. Eat one cookie for every one you plan on giving away:)

Glkster19
11-25-2003, 04:35
I think things may turn out better if you change Item 5. Should read something this "Eat 2-3 for every 1 you give away." Or maybe like this "Eat 2-3 scoops of dough for every cookie you plan on giving away.";f

pesticidal
11-25-2003, 06:36
Just a question-why use unsalted butter, then mix in salt in the batter?

;d

Cinic
11-25-2003, 07:46
Maybe 2 sticks of salted butter has more than 1/2 tsp of salt. Anyone know?

Edit to answer my own question.

http://www.ochef.com/553.htm

Patricia
11-25-2003, 09:29
Exxotic, ever make Snickerdoodles? Those are one of my favorite cookies. I'm sure you must have a kick-butt recipe. ;f ;f

allanc
11-25-2003, 10:38
Originally posted by Sidearmor
Exxotic, ever make Snickerdoodles? Those are one of my favorite cookies. I'm sure you must have a kick-butt recipe. ;f ;f

Well, I'm not Exxotic, but here is mine... ;f

Snickerdoodle Recipe

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400. Mix shortening, butter, sugar and eggs. Stir together flour, tartar, soda and salt. Blend into shortening/butter mixture. Form into 1" balls.

Roll them in a mixture of 2 Tbl sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.

Place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Enjoy!!!!!

Patricia
11-25-2003, 11:32
Yummy! Thanks! ;a

slightlyabnorml
11-26-2003, 10:07
I just had to post this recipie.

Peanut Butter cookies:

1 c peanut butter
1 c sugar
1 egg

Mix all ingredients well

drop by spoonfulls onto cookie sheet, press a fork into tops of balls
and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.

this is my dad's recipie,quick, easy and disappear fast.

also great with chocolate chips, taste like reeses candy.

As far as buying in bulk, our local amish community has a county store,so I buy all of my baking supplies, spices, fresh vegtables, dried fruit etc....there, They are so much friendlier, and a lot cheaper on everything than our local grocery store (hy-vee)

ExxoticOne
11-26-2003, 15:03
Originally posted by Sidearmor

I've never even heard of that...thanks for the recipe Allan...now I'm going to find my double boiler.

Pesticidal...you need unsalted butter because when you mix salted butter with the sugar you lose some flavor...the salt comes later when you're done mixing the soft ingredients. When baking, the unwritten rule is to use UNsalted butter all the time...it's a chemistry thing.

Looks like peanut butter cookies are going to be made this weekend - thanks Abnormal!

pesticidal
11-27-2003, 17:00
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
Pesticidal...you need unsalted butter because when you mix salted butter with the sugar you lose some flavor...the salt comes later when you're done mixing the soft ingredients. When baking, the unwritten rule is to use UNsalted butter all the time...it's a chemistry thing.

Hmmm. You learn something new everyday. Now that I've done that, I can coast for the rest of it...

;f ;f