Favorite cooking show? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cooking show?

hwyhobo
11-25-2003, 00:00
For the ease of instruction and the overall "down-to-earthness" (is there such a word??) of the recipes, I like "Jacques Pepin's Kitchen: Cooking with Claudine" the most of all shows on TV (it's on PBS in my area). For the wildest ideas that I only occasionally attempt to reproduce but always enjoy watching I like "Iron Chef" the most.

Shows I can't stand: "Emeril Live" - it's all showmanship and no substance. His "The Essence of Emeril" is quite good, however.

What's your favorite cooking show?

MrsKitty
11-25-2003, 15:14
I like Emeril Live. I find him amusing but sometimes I really don't care for what he is fixing on there;g

Cooking Live is more pratical. I got to meet Sara Moulton at a book signing a few years ago. She is so tiny! Itty bitty!

I like the show with the guy who rescues your disaster meal that you can never get right but I cannot think of it's name right now;Q

I love pasta so Mario Batalli (sp?) is another favorite;f

kckndrgn
11-25-2003, 15:27
My favorite (and the wifes too) is Good Eats. Lots of information and is fun to watch. Never did like Emeril. But since we diconnect our cable for a few months no more food channel. <sigh>

Ryan

knuckle dragger
11-25-2003, 15:29
I like the show with Wolfgang Puck..

Shoeless
11-25-2003, 18:23
I like Tyler's Ultimate and Food 911 (also hosted by Tyler Florence). Ok, wait, maybe I just like that handsome Tyler... ;)

I also like The Naked Chef because his dishes are very simple to make and he's all about using good fresh food and simple ingredients.

One girl that really bugs me is that Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals and $40 A Day. Blecch, her personality is just too over the top for me.

I do like Emeril, I have to say. He seems fun and he obviously really loves to cook.

Shoeless

Zak3056
11-25-2003, 18:36
Favorite "cooking" show has GOT to be Iron Chef (Japanese, not American.)

My favorite shows that I actually try to learn something from are Great Chefs (I like the format--one apetizer, one main course, one desert--and the narrator has a great voice) Boy Meets Grill, and Good Eats.

Cinic
11-25-2003, 19:48
Originally posted by Shoeless
One girl that really bugs me is that Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals and $40 A Day. Blecch, her personality is just too over the top for me.

;m You keep talking about my future wife like that and I'll come to GA and kick your butt! ;f If anyone is annoying and over the top, it's Tyler. ;a

From what I hear/read, she's like that in person too...always happy and bubbly. And honestly, she has some really good, quick recipes on the 30 Minute Meals show.

Look up her salmon cakes. They're awesome.

norm357
11-25-2003, 20:13
Its a toss up between Emeril Live and Good Eats for recipes. For pure entertainment I love Iron Chef(Japanese).

Norm

hwyhobo
11-25-2003, 22:44
Shoeless wrote:One girl that really bugs me is that Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals and $40 A Day. Blecch, her personality is just too over the top for me. (...) I do like Emeril, I have to say. He seems fun and he obviously really loves to cook.You like Emeril, and you think Rachael is over the top? ;P :)

hwyhobo
11-25-2003, 22:46
Iron Chef (Japanese)I didn't even know there was any other version. Live and learn.

Eddie C.
11-25-2003, 22:49
.....One girl that really bugs me is that Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals and $40 A Day. Blecch, her personality is just too over the top for me....

Shoesie, I like Rachael Ray. I think she's adorable and has a great personality. I also like Emeril. ;f

J Sand
11-26-2003, 01:42
I also find the Iron Chef entertaining. I honestly don't know if I would ever eat anything on the show though.

SanduneCC
11-26-2003, 09:27
Rachael Ray is a cutie and knows her way around the kitchen - my fantasy girl! ;+

Zak3056
11-26-2003, 17:17
Originally posted by hwyhobo
I didn't even know there was any other version. Live and learn.

There is, unfortunately, an American version of Iron Chef.

To give you an idea of just how bad it is, it's hosted by William Shatner.

lethal tupperwa
11-27-2003, 17:11
The Urban Peasant-James Barber?

hwyhobo
11-27-2003, 23:06
Zak3056 wrote:To give you an idea of just how bad it is, it's hosted by William Shatner.;P

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I am glad I never saw it.

hwyhobo
11-27-2003, 23:14
lethal tupperwa wroteThe Urban Peasant-James Barber? Hm. Nope.

Of old shows, I used to love Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet. It was recorded in Jeff's home town, Seattle. Anyone remembers this one? It had quite a following, but then Jeff retired and that was that. Recipes from that show are still abundant on the net.

23skidoo
11-28-2003, 07:23
I remember "The Frugal Gourmet" very well and it was far and away my favorite cooking show until "Good Eats" came along. Jeff Smith had some Michael Jackson style personal problems and PBS dropped him post haste. That was the reason behind his 'retirement'. Even if I didn't care for the food he was preparing that day I always enjoyed the history lesson that went along with it. Alton Brown is about the closest thing to Jeff Smith on the tube now, although Alton is much more technical than The Frug was. I truly love both shows.

fnfalman
11-28-2003, 12:11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the American Iron Chef cooking show only has two episodes? Those are the only two episodes that I've seen and I haven't heard any more about it.

Also the Nigella chick from England hosted a rather nice cooking show. She is drop dead gorgeous!!! A little bit thick, but I'd still hit it!

http://www.nigella.com/gallery.htm

Neal
11-30-2003, 20:18
Cajun guy named Justin Wilson. He may be deceased now, but it was a great show several years ago. Anyone else remember him ?

MrsKitty
11-30-2003, 20:29
I loved him! As much for HIM just being a good 'ol boy, as anything;)

norm357
11-30-2003, 20:32
lethal tupperwa wroteHm. Nope.

Of old shows, I used to love Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet. It was recorded in Jeff's home town, Seattle. Anyone remembers this one? It had quite a following, but then Jeff retired and that was that. Recipes from that show are still abundant on the net.

The Frug "retired" because he got caught diddling little boys.

Norm

Shoeless
11-30-2003, 20:57
Originally posted by norm357

Norm

Oohh really? Bummer for him.

Shoeless

norm357
11-30-2003, 21:36
Oohh really? Bummer for him.

Shoeless

Worse for the little boys.

ExxoticOne
12-01-2003, 09:36
Originally posted by norm357

Norm

His assistant, I think his name was Jeff...very hot.

To watch, my favorite show is the Iron Chef.

To actually use, Rachel Ray's show...she can whip up some good stuff in 30 minutes...I just made her pecan-crusted chicken breast salad...very good.

Eddie C.
12-01-2003, 09:48
I used to love the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith. Bought a couple of his cookbooks. Justin Wilson was great too. I think I liked him just as much for the stories he told.

My brother told me Jeff Smith started teaching classes and showing college kids how to cook frugally on a budget. He did it at one of the colleges out west (L.A. area?) Someone finally got smart and gave him a TV show. At least I recall my brother telling me that years ago when his show was on.

VinniefromNY
12-02-2003, 13:25
"Dutch Oven Country Cookin' with Cee Dub. I don't know if it's regional or what, but it's an old, salty guy with a southern accent cooking outside in front of a Conestoga wagon. He cooks your basic meat and potatoes stuff, nothing fancy, but he shows you how to cook fast and make it taste good. Easy recipes, especially for folks camping who don't want to carry a lot...

Cali-Glock
12-02-2003, 14:37
Rick Bayless (www.fronterakitchens.com/) - has an awesome Mexican cooking show on PBS.

^7 His cookbooks are on my Christmas wish list....

Corvette
12-03-2003, 06:06
Greetings,
My favorite cooking show was "Taste," hosted by David Rosengarten (sp).
I haven't been able to find it on lately, and my guess is that it didn't appeal to the masses as 'BAM-man Emeril does. What a piece of showmanship trash!
If Taste has been pulled from the air, its a shame. David's style and depth of culinary knowledge made him a great cooking instructor.
But hey, I really don't watch TV anyway, so no great loss...

Corvette

Alchemy
12-03-2003, 06:36
Unfortunately he liked his weenies uncooked & that was his
downfall...But I really liked his show though.

But I do like Emeril & the Japenese chefs.

I'd like Emeril to do a cook off one of these days with one of
those Japanese Chefs....So we could find out how good the guy
really is?

Zak3056
12-03-2003, 18:54
Originally posted by Alchemy 53
I'd like Emeril to do a cook off one of these days with one of
those Japanese Chefs....So we could find out how good the guy
really is?

Iron Chef ended its Japanese run in 1999. While a few new specials have been made since, I wouldn't count on something as expensive as a show with Emeril would likely be.

That said, there are two episodes featuring Bobby Flay (Boy Meets Grill, among other shows) as the challenger.

hwyhobo
12-03-2003, 21:25
Zak3056 wrote:That said, there are two episodes featuring Bobby Flay (Boy Meets Grill, among other shows) as the challenger.Better yet, there is an episode with a San Francisco chef Ron Siegel who defeated Hiroyuki Sakai in a lobster battle, and who DIDN'T behave like a total jackass.

LtTripMD
12-03-2003, 21:56
Another vote here for "Good Eats". hands down the most useful cooking show around. their website isn't bad either.

plus i'll add a shout out to Jeff Smith of "Frugal Gourmet".

trip.

hwyhobo
12-04-2003, 00:31
Okay, I'll ring in for Good Eats, too. Today's show on roast beef was very good. I know what I'll be eating this coming weekend. :)

The Pontificator
12-04-2003, 17:37
"Everyday Italian" is my recent fave. Giada De Laurentiis is a MAJOR BABE-A-LONIAN ;f. My friend Janet is jealous of her great body and refers to her as a "hussy", LOL.

Zak3056
12-04-2003, 17:41
Better yet, there is an episode with a San Francisco chef Ron Siegel who defeated Hiroyuki Sakai in a lobster battle, and who DIDN'T behave like a total jackass.

Yeah, I agree that Flay was a whiny little @#$%& on both of those episodes.

I've never seen the Siegel episode. It must have been something to see if he beat Sakai.

hwyhobo
12-04-2003, 18:53
Zak3056 wrote:I've never seen the Siegel episode. It must have been something to see if he beat Sakai. Not only did he beat him, he charmed the judges with the elegance of his presentation, and he behaved like a perfect gentleman throughout. That episode was definitely worth seeing.

Its The Truth
12-05-2003, 17:51
2 fat chicks....just kidding;P

Good eats is a good show, for the thinking person. The rachel ray show is ok, but she looks so freaked out shes gonna jump out of her skin. Her personna is too labored. Not sure which one it is, but the british guy with the squirrely lookin mouth, cant watch that one at all.

DaddyDett
12-05-2003, 18:33
The Naked Chef series, on the cable food network.
Jamie Oliver is the host.
A very down to earth young Englishman.
His recipes are workable even for kitchen impaired bachelors like me.
He also has a series of books, and a restaraunt in London, England.

http://www.jamieoliver.net/

DaddyDett

Jim Mayhugh
12-05-2003, 18:36
Good Eats has a braised pork rib recipe that very good.

Oliver's Twist has a fennel-crusted pork loin that's great, as well as a fresh fruit cobbler that's out of this world.

Alchemy
12-05-2003, 18:57
Like Bobby Flay alot......I also like that Brit kid Jamie Oliver.
I think that Jamie Oliver will be an up and coming commodity!

I still think that Emeril is the man though! Even though he has
really been commercialized. But can you blame him!

BOZWELL
12-05-2003, 20:05
Iron Chef

Yan Can Cook WOX!!!!

http://yancancook.asianconnections.com/

;b

rdsharp
12-10-2003, 14:24
My current favorite is America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's done by Cooks Illustrated magazine, and features one or two recipies, or a special meal in each show, with really good, detailed instructions. It also has features on tools and gadgets, cooking science, and taste tests. In other words, it follows the format of my favorite cooking magazine. No commercials either!

I also really like Good Eats. It's funny, and has good basic recipies. Iron Chef is fun, but it has no basis in reality. Most of the ingredients are unavailable, outrageously expensive, or both. And there's no instruction going on.

I loved Emeril until I OD'd on him. The same five or six jokes wear thin after a year or so. (I know the seats to the right of the island aren't cheap; I know about one sided tasting food; I know where you get your _______ they don't come seasoned; I know about BAM!, and the food may be happy, but I'm not any more.) The recipies are great Emeril, but get some new material.

I really like Julia and Jacques, too, although I've seen all the episodes several times, and have the cookbook. Same with Julia Cooks with Master Chefs. I find it amusing that most of these accomplished chefs and restaurant owners are intimidated by this old lady. They'd be crushed if she didn't like their dish. Jacques Pepin she treats as a equal, and he just laughs if she doesn't like something.

A couple of years ago PBS had a baking series featuring a Benedictine monk that was good. I haven't seen it in a while. I also wish PBS would bring back cooking Secrets of the CIA.

A watched Yan Can Cook quite often, but that was several years ago. His knife (cleaver actually) work is unreal. I can do garnishes like his carrot butterflies, and apple swan, but I use a paring knife, not a chinese cleaver!

I remember watching Graham Kerr as the Galloping Gourmet, when I was a teenager. It was a great show, and the first cooking show I'd ever seen. Everything was cooked with clarified butter (I'd never heard of it), and he was hilarious (possibly because of taking a "short slurp" of wine every time he cut to commercial). Now it's all low fat stuff, and his humor is largely limited to his suspenders.

I'd pay big money for tapes or DVD's of Julia Child's original series The French Chef. It was THE original cooking show -- the one on which all the ohers are based. I cannot fathom why PBS doesn't bring it back, or sell the rights to the Food Network.

groverglock
12-10-2003, 21:09
Two Fat Ladies.

They cooked GOOD. They were not afraid to cook for flavor. Damn the calories, good taste ahead!

Many good ideas and great info. Sorry for the passing of a great lady.

Glockerel
12-11-2003, 07:10
I agree with shoeless-
Rachel Ray is annoying as heck. It must be a character flaw within the profession. Bobby Flay is an arrogant a-hole. I love it when people cook for him him. He tastes their dish, turns his head to the side and says "That's actually good". Oh, thank you your assholiness!!
The king of all weenies has to be Mario Battalia. "Molto" Mario is so unbelieveably condescending to people! His 95 mph monologues where he makes people feel stupid for even being there are hilarious.

"Good Eats" is the most informative show IMHO. The host explains things fully, answers any question you could have, and takes a very common sense approach to every aspect of a particular food or preparation method.

Roland-G23
12-12-2003, 17:29
My wife and I like to watch Good Eats. Not only is the show informative, Alton Brown is pretty funny.

We also like to watch Top 5 and Unwrapped. Granted they aren't cooking shows, but very interesting.

CaptDoug04
12-12-2003, 20:22
Good Eats is excellent, I like watching Emeril and have a lot of his spices and seasonings. But for pure downhome eatin' I want to be invited to Paula Deen's for ANY meal!!! She has southern comfort food down to a science!!!:hearts: :hugs:

Glenn E. Meyer
12-15-2003, 15:38
For the Ray fans out there:
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/241/

As far as shows:

Good Eats
Iron Chief
Ming Tsai - when he was on

nickg
12-16-2003, 10:16
Originally posted by Cinic
;m You keep talking about my future wife like that and I'll come to GA and kick your butt! ;f If anyone is annoying and over the top, it's Tyler. ;a

From what I hear/read, she's like that in person too...always happy and bubbly. And honestly, she has some really good, quick recipes on the 30 Minute Meals show.

i'd love to look up Rachel's cakes!! ;f she's as yummy as the stuff she prepares.

me and my wife love "Emeril Live". someone said "no substance". i would highly suggest you eat at one of his restaurants -- PHENOMENAL!!

i like bobby flay, tyler florence, jamie oliver shows too.

"the best of..." shows some great restaurants across the country.

i also like the show (can't remember the name) with "Tony" (can't remember his last name either ;Q ) where he tries some totally different dishes and cuisines from around the world. the STRANGEST thing i ever saw was when he ate pulsating cobra hearts and did a shot of cobra bile when he was like in some country like Thailand or something. ;P ;P ;P strange indeed!!!

iron chef is interesting sometimes as well.

"Everyday Italian" with Giada De Laurentis? oh yeah baby!! good cook, good looks!! :)

hwyhobo
12-16-2003, 12:32
me and my wife love "Emeril Live". someone said "no substance". i would highly suggest you eat at one of his restaurants -- PHENOMENAL!!In his restaurants he doesn't sell the cr*& he cooks on his show. Neither does he run around the tables shouting obnoxiously. His "BAM!" and "ANOTHER NOTCH!" were funny the first few times, now they are just annoying. By now it is about as entertaining as slapping on the back and burping.

As to the food he cooks, how much overspiced pig fat can one consume in a week?

nickg
12-16-2003, 12:51
In his restaurants he doesn't sell the cr*& he cooks on his show. Neither does he run around the tables shouting obnoxiously. His "BAM!" and "ANOTHER NOTCH!" were funny the first few times, now they are just annoying. By now it is about as entertaining as slapping on the back and burping.

As to the food he cooks, how much overspiced pig fat can one consume in a week?

gee...i don't recall us eating any "overspiced pig fat" there. in fact we didn't eat any pork at all. ;Q

besides, if you DON'T change things on your menu occasionally to avoid people complaining about the same ol' thing then you aren't always going to cook on tv what's on the menu. that would be pretty limited wouldn't it? how many times could ronald mcdonald put together a big mac if he was on tv?

not to mention many of his restaurants are different. you may not see the same items in orlando that you would see in las vegas or new orleans.

his "schtick" is one reason so many people like him. yeah, i get tired of the same old lines too, but he puts fun and excitement into his show. i think his show is responsible for a lot more people tuning in to cooking shows these days. me and my wife very seldom watched them until we started watching him. now we watch a LOT of them. sure beats watching stoic dry martha stewart type shows where you fall asleep before the appetizer.

hwyhobo
12-16-2003, 14:59
nickg wrote:gee...i don't recall us eating any "overspiced pig fat" there. in fact we didn't eat any pork at all.That's exactly what I said in my previous post. He sells good food in his restaurants, but it's not what he pushes on his show.yeah, i get tired of the same old lines too, but he puts fun and excitement into his show.Well, we'll just have to disagree on the definition of "excitement", then.sure beats watching stoic dry martha stewart type shows where you fall asleep before the appetizer.There are lots of other shows, both informative and with some class at the same time. If you choose to watch just the two extremes, it is for your own reasons, not because there is nothing else on TV.

Texas T
12-19-2003, 22:14
I remember coming home from Jr High School to watch the Galloping Gourmet... good show.

Justin Wilson was always such a hoot. Ah garrrantee it.

Yan Can Cook was always fun to watch. Saw him perform live in Pleasanton Ca one year. Good entertainer as well as a good cook.

T

kels
12-20-2003, 16:34
Emeril is fun to watch, even if I WOULDNT eat 99% of what
he makes.

Justin Wilson was also fun, But all that red pepper in the
cajin (SP?) cooking would do me in. HOOWHEE. He also used to have
comedy records before he started doing the chef thing.

Father Dominic's Breaking Bread on PBS was good. Since I like
good bread, I would volunteer for food tester if PBS brings back his show.

Fungunner
12-26-2003, 18:41
Good Eats gets my vote. Not only useful information, the recipes are good and the show, with its changing story lines and humor are quite entertaining.

Shoeless
12-26-2003, 21:07
Originally posted by Cinic

My man Tyler Florence is sooooo not over the top, mister!!

I'm sure Rachel is a nice girl, but there is just something "forced" about her personality or something... I just can't put my finger on it but it bugs the hell out of me. (she does do some good recipes, though)

OH one other thing... Rachel is a horrible tipper! (Did I already post that before?) On $40 A Day, she is always showing the check and she leaves like ten percent!! Come on, Rachel, fork it over babe. You're making yourself look bad to all the restaurant people who watch your shows!

Anyway, seems a lot of folks here like Good Eats, which is tremendously informative (and I love to learn) but man, could Alton Brown BE any more of a dork? Eek.

Shoeless

mudfootball
12-27-2003, 14:39
Emeril's alright, Racheal Ray is the cutest thing on food television, but Good Eats with Alton Brown is my favorite. He explains why things happen. "Why jello giggles and what makes swiss cheese have hole" yeah trivial, but i like it
kt

SELFDEFENSE
10-07-2006, 19:22
America's Test Kitchen. More factual and scientific than any other.

lethal tupperwa
10-09-2006, 12:59
Originally posted by Neal
Cajun guy named Justin Wilson. He may be deceased now, but it was a great show several years ago. Anyone else remember him ?

one of his sayings, "Just like eating lettuce, nothing to it."

Mild Bill
10-09-2006, 15:44
Originally posted by kels
Emeril is fun to watch, even if I WOULDNT eat 99% of what
he makes.

:supergrin: And I'm just the opposite...
I'd go to one of his restaurants, but I don't want to see him there, or hear his voice!

I'd wanna see if he lives up to the hype...

And as for Rachael Ray---once you notice that each three words requires its own unnatural hand gesture,
you can't watch her any more...
I used to think she was cute, but found her to be 100% unfeminine, which breaks the deal...

God bless all these people tho, who are out there making things happen...

:thumbsup:

Zak3056
10-09-2006, 16:51
Holy resurrected threads, Batman!

MrsKitty
10-09-2006, 17:42
Originally posted by Texas T

Justin Wilson was always such a hoot. Ah garrrantee it.

Ooooohhh Weeeeeeeeee!