Filled A Doe Tag Last Night… [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Filled A Doe Tag Last Night…

Michigun
11-26-2003, 05:55
Here's what ran into a 1oz 12-gauge slug…

Whitetail Stats:

Sex = Female (doe)
Weight = Unknown
Location = Behind My House
Weapon = Beretta 390 12-gauge W/Hasting Slug Barrel & 3x9x40mm Leupold scope
Ammo = Federal's 1oz Barn's Expander 3" Sabot-Slug

I took her right at dark around the 50-yard mark. She traveled 20 to 25 yards before expiration. I didn’t get to see her go down so a flashlight was needed to find a blood trail. The blood trail didn’t end up being hard to find at all… upon the field dress I found holes in both lungs & a massacred heart.

Oh yeah, she had a nice little (1-1/2 year old) buck in toe when she came in… he looked to be a nice 6-point or so. (It seems odd to have to look for deer without horns…) After the shot a few more does darted away from were these 2 came from.

This doe will be going to a needy family in the ‘thumb’ area.

RJ Schuknecht
11-26-2003, 16:07
Congratulations on the doe Michigun. It`s great that you have been so successful that you can give some of that tasty venison away. I hope to be so lucky some year. Maybe I can whack one this weekend.

trapfan
11-27-2003, 21:30
Well Michigun you are on a streak! I on the other hand have not been so lucky this season. Was up at the cabin on the 14th and came home for T-day. Was a slow season for me and all of my hunting buddies. The first six days of the season I sat from 6:05 am till 5:30 pm every day and was rewarded with the sight of only two small deer. I have a doe permit but the deer I have seen have much longer ears than snouts that tells me they are very SMALL. I just got a new .243 Win Tikka T3 to try out but it looks like it was not in the cards. Lord willing I will try to fill a tag with my T/C Encore during the muzzle loading season. Way to go providing a family with a deer to eat. More hunters should be like you and let others partake of your bounty.

Michigun
12-01-2003, 06:54
Thanks guys!

I delivered that doe to my brother-in-law’s house (He’s part of the ‘crew’ who process & distribute the deer.) Friday night & hunted his property on Saturday… ended up filling a doe tag late that afternoon as well.

As of Sunday (the close of regular firearms deer season) those guys have 75% of the needy families taken care of. I’m told they should have no problem taking care of the rest with late bow, muzzleloading & late firearm doe seasons still left. I’ll try & help out some more if I can.

RJ Schuknecht
12-21-2003, 17:55
Well I was finally able to get that doe.

I hunted 2 full days and 2 half days and had not seen a deer on my property. Went up for one last hunt this morning. Tracks were everywhere. It`s hard to believe it is the same property that a week ago had only three sets of tracks all weekend through the place.

Sat in the stand where I shot my 6 point during rifle season. About 9:10 this morning 4 does/fawns came in from the neighboring property to the south. I wasn`t worried about size. I was going to take a shot at the first deer that wasn`t a button buck that stepped into an open spot. I was lucky and the first deer to walk into an opening was a decent size doe. She field dressed at 100lbs. This is my first year muzzleloader hunting.

I have the new Winchester APEX. I am shooting a 295 grain PowerBelt bullet with two pellets of Triple7.

Michigun
12-22-2003, 08:09
Glad to hear that RJ Schuknecht... now go make some jerky! ;)

I actually only went a field once this muzzleloading (ended yesterday) season... & I didn't even take my muzzleloader with me, I took my bow. :)

(Did some work on my muzzleloader & hadn’t had the time to find the perfect load for it prior to the ML season.)

I’m planning to hit the late firearms doe season up in the Thumb these last few remaining weeks… I have a friend that has ‘put in an order’ for some venison at the last minute. His order was what I needed to hit it hard again without getting a lot of grief from the wife! ;) She thinks 5 whitetails are plenty for this season… ;Q

;f

RJ Schuknecht
12-23-2003, 13:35
Michigun, I took my doe to the DNR office/check station in Bay City today. I wanted the age for my records. This is what the biologist said after cutting back the cheek:

"WHOA-is she old.
Look at that.
She is at least 10.
You did good."

I never would have imagined she was that old. It sure makes for a great "trophy".

Michigun
12-24-2003, 04:32
WHAT? You shot Bambi’s grandma… how do you sleep at night? ;)

That one had to be getting close to passing from old age… yup, you did good.

RJ Schuknecht
12-25-2003, 13:08
I sleep just fine thanks. One less mouth to eat on an already over browsed winter food supply. Now that I have put the rifles away I will be getting the chainsaw out and work towards improving the winter browse. A chainsaw is a deer`s best friend.