Bread Machines...who has one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bread Machines...who has one?

ExxoticOne
11-27-2003, 22:02
I gave mine away 2 years ago because I was consuming a 1 1/2 pound loaf everyday...chocolate chip bread one day, pumpernickel the next, asiago cheese bread on Wednesdays, garlic bread on Thursdays, etc. etc. For me, the more bread I ate...the more bread (carbs) I craved. I miss my bread machine but I love not having that "dough bloat". Yeah, the Pillsbury dough boy is cute...but not in a swimsuit.

I miss making pizza dough, bagels, honey-wheat bread...ugh;Q

MGomez81
11-27-2003, 22:05
I love bread... and boy I'd love to have a bread machine, but you're right, i'd probably dough myself to death. ;f

MrsKitty
11-27-2003, 22:18
I have one but I rarely use it.

I find it to be too much trouble to plan that far ahead and actually get the thing going;g

There is a place I cannot pass a few towns over without stopping in for a loaf of sourdough bread though...

ExxoticOne
11-27-2003, 22:26
Originally posted by misskitty5077
I find it to be too much trouble to plan that far ahead and actually get the thing going;g

I would dump all the ingredients in at bedtime...chocolate chips, pecans, flour, yeast, water...and when I would wake in the morning the whole kitchen would smell like fresh baked bread...I'd eat a big chunk standing at the counter and eat the rest during my commute...by the time I'd get to work I was practically in a dough-coma.

MGomez...is that you in your avatar? I likey:)

gibbons025
11-28-2003, 06:25
I got one, its nice to have for the 3 times I use it a year.

allanc
11-28-2003, 07:05
Originally posted by gibbons025
I got one, its nice to have for the 3 times I use it a year.

I'm glad you have self-control. I'm with Exxotic on this one, I would start looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy and then move up to looking like the Michellin Man. ;P

Ned Ludd
11-28-2003, 11:05
Evil. Evil. I have one. Used it at least once a week. Worked well. Too well. I'm on Atkins now and the machine is in the garage.

-NL

Nestor
11-29-2003, 15:31
Maybe stupid question, but how much you have to pay for new one?

MrsKitty
11-29-2003, 16:05
Originally posted by Nestor
Maybe stupid question, but how much you have to pay for new one?

Not stupid at all!

Depending on the make, model & features, I have saw machines as cheap as $40 at Wal-Mart up to $250 at high-end kitchen stores recently. Some even make jams and apple butter! You can get a good one for less than $100, I'm sure. Mine was a gift several years ago so I am not too sure about specifics on today's makes, models and pricing.

Nestor
11-29-2003, 16:37
Thank you for information misskitty5077, I see it's something for me.

MrsKitty
11-29-2003, 23:43
Nestor,

One more thing, always make sure your yeast is FRESH or your bread won't rise!!!

Forget this a couple times, and you won't ever again:(

Shoeless
11-30-2003, 20:28
I got a nice one for a wedding gift from my sister and in the year that I've had it, I've used it exactly twice. It sits on my counter and it's out of the way, so I don't mind, but I really don't use it much.

I love good bread, too, so I'm not sure why I never use it. I guess I'm just not in the habit.

Shoeless

Dragline
12-01-2003, 17:19
My wife and I were considering getting one of these.

How much do the ingredients cost to make a fairly standard loaf of bread in one of these machines?

Considering I could buy a fresh bread at a bakery for $2-3, would it be worth it to spend $100 on a machine, then have to purchase the stuff to make it each time?

I also wonder if it will suffer the same fate as our juicer.
It went from being used continuously, to sitting on the counter unused, to being shoved in some cabinet, to I have no idea where it even is now.^8

Shoeless
12-01-2003, 21:06
A bread machine is one of those pieces of equipment that I bet you could get cheap on Ebay because it is a novelty for a while, then for a lot of people (like Dragline) it just never gets used again. I'd check first for a used one rather than springing for a new one.

Shoeless

f1b32oPTic
12-01-2003, 22:35
ive got a great bread machine..

its a

girlfriend Version 2.1

pizzaaguy
12-02-2003, 09:17
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
ive got a great bread machine..

its a

girlfriend Version 2.1

Mine is called PUBLIX supermarket! ;f

Cali-Glock
12-02-2003, 14:21
We have two (my wife already had one & we received one as a wedding gift), but so far I am not impressed. My wife has only made bread a few times, and while the bread was very good, it did not knock my socks off. I love to cook, but have not tried making bread yet.

ExxoticOne
12-02-2003, 19:13
Originally posted by pizzaaguy
Mine is called PUBLIX supermarket! ;f

OH MAN...Publix makes this bread "CHICAGO BREAD"...when I do my grocery shopping I usually devour a whole loaf dipped in Nutella...so I usually DON'T go there.

Shoeless
12-02-2003, 20:42
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
OH MAN...Publix makes this bread "CHICAGO BREAD"...when I do my grocery shopping I usually devour a whole loaf dipped in Nutella...so I usually DON'T go there.

Hmmm Chicago Bread? Never heard of it, but we shop Publix so I'll look next time. Our Publix (and Kroger) make this round loaf called "White Mountain Bread". YUM-O-RAMA. It's white bread with the tiniest hit of sweetness to it. Hooooo-weeeee it's delish!

Shoeless

Wulfenite
12-05-2003, 19:19
I love mine and fortunately I'm such a piss poor planner that I forget to load it to have bread ready when I would want it.

Nothing like cutting a big fat slice off the top of a hot loaf and drowning it in butter.

DaleGribble
12-08-2003, 08:23
Me and the Mrs. got a brand new bread maker and a used pasta maker at a Hospice yard sale, we only paid ten bucks for each one, so we just said what the hell!

We used the bread maker for a few months, then the novelty wore off. Plus we were eating a lot of bread!! If you can practice restraint, they are pretty cool, but when the bread is that good, and it's piping hot, it's hard, very very hard!

Its The Truth
12-08-2003, 17:51
For most people, no you wont use it. Its just a little too much hassle, and I dont think its cost effective. The only case is if you really love to cook all the time, or if you can only have a certain bread, and you cant find it anywhere. I have so many appliances that I never use, its a shame. I got to have a sale one of these days.

Weaps
12-08-2003, 20:58
I have a little one that my parents got me (by request) last Christmas. It's a Westbend "Just for dinner" 1lb deal. It makes okay bread, but not very much. I used it about 4 times after I got it then it went into a cabinet for about six months.

Where it did recently come in handy, however, is with our most recent snowstorm. My wife wanted to make a sandwich but we didn't have any bread. It was snowing a lot so I didn't want to go out to buy some. So then I remembered that we still had some bread machine mix and yeast left over from the last time I used it awhile back. Dug out the instructions, dumped the ingredients into the machine, turned it on, and 45 minutes later she had bread for her sandwich!

Got me thinking that a good way of storing food for emergencies would be in the form of the ingredients plus a bread machine.

Of course my idea of a "bread machine" would be some baking pans, an oven, and a KitchenAid mixer, but I'm working on that.

cmzneb
12-10-2003, 10:32
I have one, but don't use the thing, because I always screw up the bread.

My wife (who is not much of a cook) uses the thing just fine, and she laughs at me because I am a professional Chef who graduated from Culinary school.

Oh Well!!!!!

lfk
12-13-2003, 09:01
Mrs lfk here--we have a bread machine and absolutely fell in love with the thing. It just takes a bit getting used to and is sooooo fast and the bread was delicious. A year ago we went on Atkins and put the machine away. Now I have found recipes for lo carb bread to make in the machine and plan to take it back out. Once you learn how to use the thing you wouldn't ever give it up.

Lone Wolff
01-08-2004, 22:51
I actually use it more for mixing up dough than I do for baking bread, but ours works great for both. Makes great fresh garlic bread for those Italian meals.

hispeedlodrag
01-09-2004, 00:03
I find a stand mixer easier to use/clean (Kitchen Aid). The only place I have found that makes bread comparable to home-made is Great Harvest Bread Co.

cannoneer
01-09-2004, 02:20
Yes my wife and i bought one and i almost shoot it.
She set it up that night and set the timer but did not tell me around 0300 it turned on and i thought some one was comming through the back kitchen door i jumped out of the bed picked up the glock and flash light that is when i found the bread maker doing it's thing mixing the bread. the bread was good that morning with coffie

jason10mm
01-14-2004, 12:30
I use mine whenever I plan ahead far enough (which isn't often of late :( ). I usually use the packaged mixes, that Hawaiian sweet bread is AWESOME! I have one of the upright ones, so the bread it makes tends to have a thick crust to support its own weight. I'm running about a 80% success rate and I have found some good banana bread recipies that work well, but sometimes it is just more practical to buy from a store rather than risk making it myself. Nothing beats the smell of fresh bread though!