1st hunt --- need advise [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st hunt --- need advise

mdj1
11-27-2003, 23:17
I'm going on my first hunt on Mon. (12/1). what should I take with me. I'm not going deep into the woods and if need be I'll be able to get my jeep to within 100 yrds or so nomatter where I'm at (private camp with trails for hay rides in summer)

Here's my list sofar
Winchester 94 in .44mag
clothing is not a problem -- coat, bib overalls, rubber boots
I'll be taking a wal-mart "camleback" for hydration
I still have yet to decide on a knife, will my "all-purpose" 3 1/2" folder work for basic feild dressing?

What else should I load my pockets, fanny pack, or backpack with?
Any thing else you could help a new hunter with?
Thanks
Matt

DWavs
11-28-2003, 00:02
If you have the following, take it with you:

1. Binoculars
2. Snacks...slim jims, granola bars, etc...
3. Toilet paper in a baggie
4. Hand/Feet warmers
5. Grunt call/Bleat call

Doesn't sound like you need a compass or GPS. Any knife will work for field dressing as long as it has a sharp edge on it. ;)

johndoe
11-28-2003, 07:17
Keep the wind in your face and dont move.Take your common sense and sense of humor.Good Luck!What about a deer drag,skining gloves and waterless hand cleaner and a length of string for your tag.After a couple of times out you'll know what you need and dont need.

357glocker
11-28-2003, 07:25
I always bring a small hatchet with me while deer hunting to split the pelvic bone on the deer. Some of the mature adult deer have some pretty tough bone that a knife just can't handle. If your not going to deep in the woods and don't mind carrying a small lawn chair or even a bucket I'd advise to do so. The ground and tree trunks can become uncomfortable and make you move around more than you should. Good luck.

Esox357
11-28-2003, 08:00
A flashlight just in case. Also for the deer tag I just slit the ear in the middle and run the tag through it. Esox357

Tommy Gun
11-30-2003, 20:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdj1
[B]I'm going on my first hunt on Mon. (12/1).[QUOTE]

Welcome to the sport! Relax and enjoy the outdoors. Don't take the first hunt too seriously. Learn from your experiences and the experiences of other hunters. It would be great if you could have someone mentor you. Join a club and mix with other hunters. Your off on a great lifetime adventure..... ;a

Glockerel
12-01-2003, 05:18
Matches, sunglasses and a fixed blade knife. Folding knives, even lockblades, can come back at you when dressing a deer.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-01-2003, 08:11
Well, your probably sitting out in the woods right now. But here's what you should have:

1. Gun :)
2. Clothing to stay warm and dry.
3. Knife, 3 1/2 to 5" blade is fine. Sharp. Don't need to split pelvis, you can cut loose inside of it and pull through.
4. Compass. Always have a compass. What if you hit one and track over the next few hills and forget how to get back?
5. Matches.
6. Whistle. For when you fall and can't get up. Human voice tires quickly.
7. Flashlight. Hey, you might have to track in the dark.
8. Rope. Can be used for pulling your gun up into a tree stand, or for dragging a deer, or emergencies.
9. Binoculars. Small. Might not ever use. But nice to have just in case you want to see something.
10. Food and water.

Glocktex
12-01-2003, 08:12
First and foremost be careful! Second, make damn sure you know where your gun is shooting and that it is accurate to the distances that you feel confident in shooting. When these two things are done combine them with the advice from above and you should have a wonderful trip.

Good Luck!

ithaca_deerslayer
12-01-2003, 08:28
As to the fannypack or backpack. Up to you. If I have a hunting vest with pockets, I put everything I mentioned in them.

In bow season, I tend not to wear a hunting vest, and so then I use a fanny pack. In bow season I'm also more likely to keep a rain poncho in my fanny pack (because it is typically warmer and might rain, and I'm not dressed with a heavy winter coat).

For extreme cold, (sub-zero, for me), I might use a backpack that carries extra clothes or a blanket. There is no way to dress warm enough so that you can walk without overheating, and yet also withstand a 4 hour sit in sub-zero, so the extra clothes have to be put on when you get to the spot.

mdj1
12-02-2003, 12:52
well it wasn't a good first day. went out to my sisters, (she directs the private camp) 90 + acres of light woods. only 2 other guys and myself had premission to hunt there but the woods where full of people. I finaly found a spot that no one was in and settled in. I saw 1 doe (only have a buck tag) and about 2 doz. turkeys. I stayed out all day and when I got back to my car I relized I lost my tag somewhere in the woods. I went back to look for it but wound up getting a replacement tag after I got home. wasn't able to go today, I'm going with my gf's stepfather tomorrow. I hope I at least see something.

CanyonMan
12-02-2003, 13:22
mdj1,

(quote)....."well it wasn't a good first day."....... (end quote).

Hey, come on Hoss!, sure losing your tag, and being out there with half the county isn't really cool, but look at all the other stuff.

#1...You were out in the woods, not penned up in the house or office, not stuck in traffic, or breathing smog. You got to see a couple dozen turkeys milling around, watch a doe, and you probably learned a thing or two, and more than likely, you probably got a rush or two every now and then, from a critter running through the leaves, or whatever, even if it wasn't a buck.

Sounds like a good day to me!
Don't get the minset that "the kill," is the thrill.
It is just being out there, and "all the benifits," of being out there!

Sure you want to get your game, we all do... but do not 'loose perspective' of what this is really all about,(or should be at least). There is more to it, far more, than 'just the kill.'

Keep going, don't loose heart. Learn to really enjoy just 'being there.' ! If you have this mindset, then you will always have a good time, everytime you go, and when you do, 'get the buck,' it will just be an extra added bonus.

Good Luck!

CanyonMan

mdj1
12-02-2003, 15:07
don't get me wrong I enjoyed being out, I was just stressed by all the unauthorized in the woods. at least twice as I was looking thru my binocs I spotted others looking in my direction thru their scopes (not cool). one guy I spoke to denied being on private property. I was expecting to be alone and found myself more concerned with my safty than enjoying "being out". I talked to my sister afterwords and found out that they only have the road side posted, not the other 2 sides. I don't know if I'll go back there this year or if I'll wait till next year after they get it all posted in the spring.

Pistol Packin' Pete
12-02-2003, 15:12
I would add:

-A small survival kit (with matches, water purification, space blanket, etc).
-A butt pad. This really makes sitting dry and comfortable.
-A back-up knife.
-Compass/gps if you are in anything but known terrain (and maybe even if you aren't).
-Binoculars.
-A big handfull of paper towels for the call of nature and post field dressing clean-up.
-A small Surefire type light and spare batteries.
-A coyote call (fun when you aren't seeing deer).
-A length of rope foe a drag.
-A good attitude.

Pistol Packin' Pete
12-02-2003, 15:13
I would go back. Things tend to calm down quite a bit after opening weekend.

45acp4me
12-02-2003, 22:42
Originally posted by mdj1
don't get me wrong I enjoyed being out, I was just stressed by all the unauthorized in the woods. at least twice as I was looking thru my binocs I spotted others looking in my direction thru their scopes (not cool). one guy I spoke to denied being on private property. I was expecting to be alone and found myself more concerned with my safty than enjoying "being out". I talked to my sister afterwords and found out that they only have the road side posted, not the other 2 sides. I don't know if I'll go back there this year or if I'll wait till next year after they get it all posted in the spring.

Half the gun season hunters show up for the first one to three days, just go back, better than half of them will be gone.

BTW, just a reminder, that if you can see the eyes of the deer, it will see you move. Even if you are in a stand or a well covered blind, slow movements while they are looking away is the only way you'll get a shot off. I learned that one that hard way my first year out.

Have fun!
Glen

ithaca_deerslayer
12-03-2003, 07:35
Originally posted by 45acp4me
slow movements while they are looking away is the only way you'll get a shot off.

The other trick is to wait till they walk forward enough that their head is behind a tree.

Then raise and aim.

But watch out for their buddies, who might see your movements while you are concentrating on just the one.

CanyonMan
12-03-2003, 15:41
mdj1,

I feel for you my friend, but i have never had the problem of having to hunt on 'public land,' or, 'where there are any other hunters', period, except for those i was guiding, and then , i knew where they were at all times etc.

A couple of guys here on this post have encouraged you to 'go back,' and try again. This is not a bad idea, perhaps later on in the season, when you may have more confidence that, 'they (the other hunters), are not out there anymore.'

Also, let me humbly suggest to you, that 'mid-day,' is a great time to hunt, and most always you will find yourself alone, (on a crowded place such as the one you mentioned). Most everyone thinks they need to 'go to lunch.' Actually , this can be a wonderfully prductive time for harvesting a buck.

Don't forget though, that on a active, or crowded hunting area, it can have an effect on the 'regular habits' of the deer.....

The "screwy paradox" here is this:

That could 'ruin' your chances, because of the 'break in habits', and spooked deer, and sometimes, that 'can work' in your favor, pushing screwy minded deer with no real direction, to wonder in your direction.

For the years i have guided hunts, some of the best times were mid-day. Like between 11:00- 4:00. We would find bucks going to check scrapes, or following a sent. This is 'not just done at night,' as we have always been taught. So, if you "must go back," to the place you went in your post, try 'late season', and 'stay for the duration!'

"BUT," if at all possible, try and get out of there, and find a less likely place to be in a crosshair! :)

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

mdj1
12-04-2003, 10:04
"BUT," if at all possible, try and get out of there, and find a less likely place to be in a crosshair!

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

I found that place. A farm with a few thousand acres. my gf's stepdad knows the guys well and he took my there wed. I missed a 8 point by 5 min. I set up in a patch of woods (late day) and was working my way out, within 5 min of me leaving that spot a guy up the hill saw the buck leave the woods 20 yrds from where I did. he took the shot.
I'm going back out there this afternoon. So far they have got a 7, 6, & 8 point bucks and several does. they say theres a 12 point that is there also.
thanks for the advise and encouragement.
Matt

CanyonMan
12-04-2003, 17:13
Matt,

That sounds great man! I can hear the excitment in ya from here.
We all just want to see ya have a good time, and get ya a buck!

Let us know what happens either way!

Becareful, and good hunting Hoss!

CanyonMan

rfb45colt
12-04-2003, 19:04
Originally posted by CanyonMan

... Also, let me humbly suggest to you, that 'mid-day,' is a great time to hunt, and most always you will find yourself alone, (on a crowded place such as the one you mentioned). Most everyone thinks they need to 'go to lunch.' Actually , this can be a wonderfully prductive time for harvesting a buck.

Don't forget though, that on a active, or crowded hunting area, it can have an effect on the 'regular habits' of the deer.....

The "screwy paradox" here is this:

That could 'ruin' your chances, because of the 'break in habits', and spooked deer, and sometimes, that 'can work' in your favor, pushing screwy minded deer with no real direction, to wonder in your direction.

For the years i have guided hunts, some of the best times were mid-day. Like between 11:00- 4:00. We would find bucks going to check scrapes, or following a sent. This is 'not just done at night,' as we have always been taught. So, if you "must go back," to the place you went in your post, try 'late season', and 'stay for the duration!'...

A big AMEN to that! Early morning (crack of dawn) is no doubt a good opportunity for harvesting a deer, especially on opening day before they realize the season has opened, but after the first day and the deer realize the crowds have arrived, they'll be safely bedded down before legal shooting light, for the forseeable future. But.... just as they have grown to realize the woods are full of danger when the sun comes up, I firmly believe they have grown to know that the woods are usually mostly empty during the middle of the day. Generations of deer hunters have "trained" generations of deer. I hunt ALL day, and I see more deer between 11:00am and 2:00pm than any other time of day. I used to be one of those "two-hour-in-the-morning" and "two-hour-in-the-afternoon" type hunters, but now, if I had to choose which of three times to hunt - morning, mid-day, or late afternoon - I'll take the mid-day time period everytime... especially on heavily hunted private or public land.

CanyonMan
12-05-2003, 14:04
rfb45colt,

You got it ! Well said.

CanyonMan