allanc
11-29-2003, 17:22
Larb Nua

1 pound ground beef
1 stalk lemongrass
2 cloves garlic
1 lime, juiced (or more)
3 Tbs Fish Sauce
1 tsp Chili Paste (more or less, to taste)
6-8 green onions, chopped
1/4 white onion, sliced
handful of mint leaves
*toasted and ground sticky rice

*Toast sticky rice in a dry, hot skillet. When golden, remove and allow to cool. Grind in a mortar and pestle or in a blender.

Brown ground beef, drain, return to skillet. Add all remaining ingredients except for toasted and ground sticky rice. Heat and stir for a few minutes. Serve over a bed of rice or on top of lettuce or cabbage.

Variations:
Larb Gai -- substitute ground chicken for ground beef
Larb Moo -- substitute ground pork for ground beef
Larb Ped -- substitute ground duck for ground beef
Larb Pla Mueck -- substitute ground squid for ground beef

Note that this is Atkins friendly and very quick to prepare and cook. Enjoy.

^c

SanduneCC
11-29-2003, 18:19
I enjoy this dish with chicken from my local Thai hole-in-the-wall. They call it Chicken with Mint Leaves. I thought for sure there were some soysauce (because the sauce looks dark) and some sugar. Didn't see these in your recipe?

SanduneCC
11-29-2003, 18:32
Hey allanc,
If you're a Thai recipe expert, I need help with a couple of dishes I like a lot. One is called Fried Glass Noodles with Pork - looks like it has vermicelli noodles, pork, cabbage, bean sprouts, tomatoes, green onions. The other is Chicken with Bamboo Shoots - chicken, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, in a mildly sweet sauce that looks like it has egg drops in it. Yummy!

11-29-2003, 20:43
I always get Gang Gai with chicken, as hot as they're willing to make it.

allanc
11-29-2003, 21:37
Originally posted by SanduneCC
Hey allanc,
If you're a Thai recipe expert, I need help with a couple of dishes I like a lot. One is called Fried Glass Noodles with Pork - looks like it has vermicelli noodles, pork, cabbage, bean sprouts, tomatoes, green onions. The other is Chicken with Bamboo Shoots - chicken, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, in a mildly sweet sauce that looks like it has egg drops in it. Yummy!

I know a few Thai dishes but I don't know how to prepare those.

MrsKitty
11-29-2003, 23:36
Originally posted by SanduneCC
Hey allanc,

Have you tried searching for each of these on yahoo or google?

Maybe start each of these thier own thread;)

Sorry, I can't be of more help, I have never heard of either...

spetsnaz777
11-30-2003, 17:35
I always get Pad Cha... My face Thai dish.;c

hcook
12-01-2003, 18:32
My favorite Thai dishes are Pad Thai and Pad Woon Sen. Although they're both noodle dishes, they're quite different from each other.

I really miss Thai Garden on Route 1 in Freeport, ME... ;1 ;1 ;1