Any good recipes for pigeon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any good recipes for pigeon?

VTDefender
12-01-2003, 10:35
I shot 23 of the suckers on saturday but the landowner took them home with him.

I'm going again this saturday to tap a bunch more of them. These aren't NYC garbage eating pigeons mind you (figured I'd say so before you all thought I was nuts) but nice big rural corn eaters. ;f

Anyone have any ideas on how to prepare the little buggers?> I'm not much of a game cook yet but I'm going to learn one way or another.

I took them all with a .22 so there aren't any errant pellets to worry about busting a tooth on.

Thanks!!

hcook
12-01-2003, 17:24
Pigeon is very tasty, but don't be surprised when it doesn't look or taste like chicken.

Even the breast meat is dark, and I found the flavor to be surprisingly similar to beef. It doesn't taste like steak, mind you, but isn't your normal avian flavor. It's a meat that would go better with beer or red wine rather than white zinfandel.

When I shot some and cooked them, I pan fried the breasts in butter. Pretty tasty! I'm sure if you worked at it you could bake them like Cornish game hens or pheasant.

Hope that helps.

General Sherman
12-06-2003, 01:51
Recipe for Rock Dove:

Get out your .410 shootgun...
bang, bang, bang...
and leave them for the racoons.

VTDefender
12-06-2003, 05:23
Originally posted by hcook
Pigeon is very tasty, but don't be surprised when it doesn't look or taste like chicken.

Even the breast meat is dark, and I found the flavor to be surprisingly similar to beef. It doesn't taste like steak, mind you, but isn't your normal avian flavor. It's a meat that would go better with beer or red wine rather than white zinfandel.

When I shot some and cooked them, I pan fried the breasts in butter. Pretty tasty! I'm sure if you worked at it you could bake them like Cornish game hens or pheasant.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Hcook!!

That was very helpful!

I'm heading out in half an hour or so to see how many of them I can plug today. I'm hoping for thirty :)

I'll be frying some up in the morning;a

hcook
12-06-2003, 06:46
Not only do they taste good, they're also good practice for duck and dove season.

VTDefender
12-06-2003, 06:54
No shotguns for these pigeons....I'm going Carlos Hathcock on them with a Marlin Papoose ;)

http://freesites.pshift.net/~vtdefender/images/70pss2.jpg
;f

noway
12-08-2003, 12:18
here's what I do with doves ( same family of a pigeon )

Since the bird is so small, just cut out the breast, alot of way todo it but the easiest less messing way is to ,pull most of the feathers off the breast and cut the skin from the throat to the tail. the make a cut on top and around the side and pop the breast with breast bone off the bird. The remaining parts goes to the garbage, coons or cat.

Next wash the breast and I like to let my sit in cool refrig water for about 10 hrs with red wine. Take the breast out and wrap them in a layer or prosciutto ham and garlic after you season the meat with salt and pepper. I also add one final wrap of bacon and pin the whole thing together with a "el cheapo" toothpick. Once you get all of the breast wrapped, heat the oven at 350degs and bake for about 30-40mins until the bacon is done and most it's juice have ran free.

This make a good size mouthfull appetizer.

Enjoy with Uncle Bens wild Long grain rice and a nice Negra Modelo Beer. ;c

hcook
12-09-2003, 07:44
So how'd you do, VTDefender?