An interesting hunt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : An interesting hunt

12-04-2003, 09:29
Well, I had a fairly interesting hunt yesterday. I was out in Columbus, Texas, on my Dads ranch, hunting deer. I was sitting on the ground, up against a tree with lots of cover. I had a S&W .44 Magnum revolver with 6 inch barrel on it. As I was sitting there, waiting, a squirrel was galavanting about the trees and ground nearby, apparently completely oblivious to my presence. After about 1 hour, a nice buck appeared, not huge since this is Texas, he had a good rack though, a nice 8 pointer. Well, I saw flashes of him headed my way, and I got ready, cocking my pistol and everything, waiting for him to get within 20 yards. He stepped into the clearing, I drew a bead on him, and thats when the squirrel decided to check me out. Close up! I heard him scampering down the trunk of the tree, and just as I was about to fire, he landed on my shoulder.
I knew it was just a squirrel, but I couldnt help it, I jumped up hollering and knocked him from my shoulder with teh barrel of the revolver. The buck naturally hightailed it out of there. I was so furious at the squirrel that I started firing at him with full power 300 grain loads. I think I reloaded twice before I finally nailed him.
So now here I am, with a darn squirrel in teh freezer rather than a nice buck! I hate squirrels!

ithaca_deerslayer
12-04-2003, 09:33
You lack concentration Grasshopper!

Shoot the buck, and I'll bet that squirrel will jump off your shoulder right quick!

12-04-2003, 09:40
Yeah yeah, I know, I know, but its hard to do that with a live squirrel chattering in your ear.;P

freepatriot
12-04-2003, 10:12
Hitting yourself in the shoulder with a cocked .44 doesn't sound like a good way to start.

noway
12-04-2003, 10:27
That was my thoughts also. It could have ended very bad in a "darwin" way

Hunter nails hisself in the head with own revolver

12-04-2003, 12:20
I took my finger off the trigger first! I reached up with the barrel, between my ear and the squirrel, and swatted him off like that.

Honestly now, what would you do in that circumstance? When a little rodent just plops hisself down on your shoulder, really, how long are YOU gonna sit there and think about it? ;)

I hear what your saying though, Im not saying what I did was smart, I just reacted.

noway
12-04-2003, 12:34
Honesty, I would have ignore the squirrel and drop the deer.

I haven't been bless with tree rats jumping out of trees and staying on my shoulder. Once, I did have 2 squirrels playin around on a branch fallout of a pecan tree and land on me. They didn't stick around.;f

12-04-2003, 12:45
Originally posted by noway
Honesty, I would have ignore the squirrel and drop the deer.

Sure sure, easy for you to say! ;) :) ;f

noway
12-04-2003, 14:36
Like I said "I haven't had any encounters w/squirrels up and close" and would be very surprise if a wild squirrel would even jump down from a tree on my shoulder nor would I waste shooting at it ( w/ revolver) and nor would I suspect any gray/fox squirrel (in my area) to stick around for 2 reloads and to be shoot at.;g

Roger C
12-04-2003, 15:41
You hit a squirrel with a full-power 300gr .44, and still had something left to put in the freezer?!? ;P

A friend of mine got a wild hair once and popped a rabbit with a .270 after giving up on a deer. Parts laying around everywhere...

;f

rfb45colt
12-04-2003, 18:40
I had a similar "close encounter" with a squirrel just last weekend. I was about 22' up in a big pine tree on a hang-on stand. I was deer hunting with a scoped Ruger Blackhawk. I had a backpack hanging on the side of the tree on a sawed off branch stub, about waist height. I heard a noise on the tree above me, but could not locate the source. I thought it was a bird of some kind. All of a sudden, I heard a "clinking" sound that came from my backback. Something was making the thermos inside my pack clank against my binoculars. As I turned to check it out, a red pine squirrel stuck his head up from inside the backpack, with one of my Reese's peanut butter cups (still in the wrapper) in his mouth. He ran back up the tree when he saw me looking at him, sat on a branch about 5' right over my head, and proceeded to chew through the wrapper and eat my last snack. I thought about blasting his tiny little thieving ass with a .45 Colt, 300gr hardcast handload, but I was afraid of the "debris" (blood, guts, bones, hair, squirrel poop, etc) that would fall on me. ;P

12-05-2003, 08:39
Originally posted by Roger C
You hit a squirrel with a full-power 300gr .44, and still had something left to put in the freezer?!? ;P

;f

It was really a bad shot, do you have any idea how hard it is to shoot a squirrel while he is running around ina tree? It was the only tree around, so he had no place to go, cause I wouldnt let him come down. It took off his back legs, and his tail, he mainly bled to death more than anything else.

All I am saying is this, when a squirrel (or a bird, or a rabbit, whatever) loses its mind and decides to check you out, be careful what you do. I realize now it wasnt exactly the smartest hting in the world to go wacking a squirrel with a cocked .44 magnum. This isnt the first time I have had little animals check me out, for example, I once had a small bird land on my knee, start cleaning his feathers, noticed me, and darted off lighting quick!
Also, another thing I learned from this, I am now going to take my little Ruger Single six .22 mag with me every time I hunt, to take care of little bushytailed thieves.