How do you make Kimchee? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you make Kimchee?


kentley
12-05-2003, 07:19
I want to know.

allanc
12-05-2003, 07:28
I had a roommate who used to make Kimchee fairly regularly. It was pretty good stuff. I've never made it but this is the recipe that he used.

KIMCHEE


6 lb Napa cabbage
3/4 c Korean pickling salt or Kosher salt
8 Scallions, finely chopped
1 1/2 c Carrot, shredded
2 T Fresh ginger, grated
2 T Garlic, finely chopped
2 T Candied ginger
2 t Sugar
1/2 c Korean red pepper flakes
1 T Salt


Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise,
then cut across the quarters into 1 1/2 inch-wide pieces. Put the cabbage
in a very large bowl and add the pickling salt. Toss so the salt coats the
cabbage evenly. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a couple
of times during that time. Rinse the cabbage with cold water and drain.
Toss with the remaining ingredients and pack into a large crock or covered
pottery casserole. Add water to cover, about 3 cups. Allow to sit on the
counter for 1 to 2 days. Store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock
or in individual glass jars.
Serve as a relish with any Korean dinner or use in cooking meat or soup
dishes.

allanc
12-05-2003, 07:31
You can buy Kimchee base in some Oriental grocery stores. I have made some dishes with it and it works out pretty well.

Kimchee Shrimp

Place cold, cooked and peeled shirmp in a container and add prepared Kimchee shrimp. Mix, refrigerate, and serve. Very tasty.


Kimchee Cucumbers

Place sliced cucumbers in a dish and add Kimchee base. Mix, refrigerate, and serve.

kentley
12-05-2003, 07:35
Any idea on how to make it more spicy? Just add a couple Hot peppers?

allanc
12-05-2003, 07:37
Originally posted by kentley
Any idea on how to make it more spicy? Just add a couple Hot peppers?

There are a couple of ways to make it spicier. You can add more red pepper flakes is the most obvious. You can also add minced jalapenos, serranos, or habaneros. The recipe, as is, comes out pretty spicy. :)

kentley
12-05-2003, 07:39
Thank you sir.

MrsKitty
12-05-2003, 07:51
I had never heard of Kimchee until this week.

But man does it sound good.

Especially those cucumbers;f

kentley
12-05-2003, 07:57
Just be sure to take your been-o before you eat it.

allanc
12-05-2003, 07:58
Kimchee is good stuff.

I did some searching around and found a hotter recipe just for kentley. ;)


FLAMING ORANGE HABANERO KIMCHEE

1 lg Head Napa cabbage
1-2 t Salt
Water
5 Habanero peppers
4 Garlic cloves
4 Green onions
1 sliver Fresh ginger (1/2" thick)
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Cut cabbage into 1-inch slices. Dissolve about 1-2 tablespoons salt
in enough water to cover cabbage slices in a non-reactive container.
Leave cabbage to soak in salted water for 12 to 24 hours at room
temperature.
Rinse cabbage well, drain, and set aside.
Chop peppers (with seeds), green onions, garlic, ginger and ginger,
and mix with 1 tablespoon salt and cayenne pepper. Pack cabbage in a
non-reactive container, cover with water and gently stir in chopped
pepper mixture. Refrigerate for several days before serving. Keeps
quite a while if stored in refrigerator. Remove kimchee from liquid
before serving.

allanc
12-05-2003, 08:02
Kim Chee Dip

2 cups Kim Chee
12 oz cream cheese
3 to 4 peeled, minced garlic cloves
juice for kim chee

In a small bowl, cream kim chee liquid with cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Pour into serving bowl and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with chips or crackers.

kentley
12-05-2003, 08:03
Originally posted by allanc
Kimchee is good stuff.

I did some searching around and found a hotter recipe just for kentley. ;)


FLAMING ORANGE HABANERO KIMCHEE

1 lg Head Napa cabbage
1-2 t Salt
Water
5 Habanero peppers
4 Garlic cloves
4 Green onions
1 sliver Fresh ginger (1/2" thick)
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Cut cabbage into 1-inch slices. Dissolve about 1-2 tablespoons salt
in enough water to cover cabbage slices in a non-reactive container.
Leave cabbage to soak in salted water for 12 to 24 hours at room
temperature.
Rinse cabbage well, drain, and set aside.
Chop peppers (with seeds), green onions, garlic, ginger and ginger,
and mix with 1 tablespoon salt and cayenne pepper. Pack cabbage in a
non-reactive container, cover with water and gently stir in chopped
pepper mixture. Refrigerate for several days before serving. Keeps
quite a while if stored in refrigerator. Remove kimchee from liquid
before serving.

That's what I'm talking about http://www.glocksunlocked.com/forums/html/emoticons/smiley_smartass.gif

allanc
12-05-2003, 08:07
Originally posted by kentley
That's what I'm talking about http://www.glocksunlocked.com/forums/html/emoticons/smiley_smartass.gif

When you finish eating the kim chee, you can use the liquid to strip paint from the walls. ;f

Shinichi
12-05-2003, 15:12
Ok, as the resident half korean on GT I have to put my size 12 foot down!

I love and eat kimchee almost daily. And am quite suprised and happy to hear of so many enjoying it.

But damnit AllanC, I must draw the friggin' line at kimchee cheese dip!!! No way. My halmony,(grandmother) would be spinning in her grave over that. Its just so unnatural. ;Q
:)

Kentley, don't you live in the greater Atlanta area? If so, I can give you the two places were I and family go for our kimchee fix. Just let me know.
;c ;c ;a

noway
12-05-2003, 15:36
I personally think the winter Kimchee is better than the regular kimchee ( salt/pickled soaked cabbage). The kimchee stored for the cold winters ( and yes it gets cold in Korea ) has a better favor. The Daikon and Cuccumber they use along with the garlic gives it a very warm flavor.

kentley
12-05-2003, 15:37
Originally posted by Shinichi
Kentley, don't you live in the greater Atlanta area? If so, I can give you the two places were I and family go for our kimchee fix. Just let me know.
;c ;c ;a

That would be great! Thanks ;f

Penman
12-05-2003, 16:25
Don't forget a big bowl of hot rice to go with the kim chee!

AAshooter
12-05-2003, 16:55
Originally posted by Shinichi
Ok, as the resident half korean on GT I have to put my size 12 foot down!

I love and eat kimchee almost daily. And am quite suprised and happy to hear of so many enjoying it.

But damnit AllanC, I must draw the friggin' line at kimchee cheese dip!!! No way. My halmony,(grandmother) would be spinning in her grave over that. Its just so unnatural. ;Q
:)

Kentley, don't you live in the greater Atlanta area? If so, I can give you the two places were I and family go for our kimchee fix. Just let me know.
;c ;c ;a

I was hoping for the secret family recipe so we could make authentic Kim Chee;f ;f ;f

Shinichi
12-06-2003, 12:16
Just like american foods, for kimchee, every ajima (kind of like older lady/aunt) will make it slightly different.
My family recipe** went with my halmony a couple of years ago.

And do yourself a favor and get some good korean/japanes rice. they use the same grain. Chinese, thai, and the others us a diff rice that sucks in comparo. I had never tried american style rice till about 20 yrs old. That **** sucks, no wonder rice is not a big part of american food culture, if i had to eat that crap i would invent fried everything too!

In Atlanta, on Buford Hwy in the Chamblee area,(some people jokingly call Chambodia ;f ) right @I-285 & Buford Hwy is a Farmers Market. It is korean owned and operated. In the back left, they have an area where the ajima's make fresh kimchee, goctoogee?, changhachee? and other stuff. Really good ****, made by koreans for the very picky korean customer. But the place is def friendly for all you gaijin(jap word for barbarian=You) as well, they also have latino foods so pack a cooler and buy up!

Up I-85 at Steve Reynolds Blvd, near Gwinnett Place Mall, is a korean grocery store, Hang Gang. There kimchee is also good and closer to me up north.

Kimchee, as a fermented veggie product, goes through a aging process/lifecycle not disimiliar to fine wine. Albeit at an exaggerated pace. (like when Capt. Kirk landed on that planet where the 'grumps' all age and die quickly) So it will taste remarkebly diff when it is two days old than when it is 3 weeks old. Goes from mild/fresh tasting to milspec degreaser/radiation spill treatment in short order. So try and enjoy.

When your stomachs are brave, you should try and make (or go to restaurant) kimchee soup. It probably is also a paint thinner in some markets but delicious.

At home, kimchee soup served with rice and good ole' fried porkchops is a combo you don't wanna miss.


Sorry for my longest post in history, but food is my friend.
;a ;a ;c

norm357
12-06-2003, 17:08
Shinichi, thanks for your very detailed post. Looks like I'm gonna be driving up north on Monday!

Norm

f1b32oPTic
12-06-2003, 17:08
nega kimchi cheegae jal manduruyo

MrsKitty
12-06-2003, 17:24
HUH;d

SanduneCC
12-06-2003, 18:55
Oh man, I love Korean barbeque, rice and kimchee! ;f ;f ;f

ExxoticOne
12-07-2003, 09:26
Kent - I wish I could come up with a fool-proof way to ship you some of my Christmas Kimchee...I'm afraid if I send it to you in a metal bullet thermos marked fragile, etc. it might get mistaken for a bomb!

seanmac45
12-15-2003, 14:41
What do the Japanese and Chinese call their versions of Kimchee? All of the restaurants here in NYC that are Japanese and Chinese serve some version of this dish, I was wondering what they call it.

fnfalman
12-16-2003, 10:10
The Japanese, the Chinese and the Vietnamese also have their own versions of fermented plants and vegetables. They are called by various names, just like the Korean ones. Kimchee is the fermented cabbage, and is used as a generic name for fermented/vinegared munchies.

Those dishes are great year round, but the best during summer when light dishes fare very well.