Because you're all my friends...Nana's Cheesecake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Because you're all my friends...Nana's Cheesecake

PatrolMom
12-05-2003, 16:23
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
10" Spring form pan (very lightly buttered sides...not bottom)

1) 18 oz cream cheese (room temp)
2) 1.5 cups sour cream (room temp)
3) 6 eggs (yolks) separated (whites into the freezer during construction + 2 tbl sugar)
4) 3 tbl flour (sift)
5) 1.5 cups sugar (sift)
6) pinch of salt (sift)

Cream together first three ingredients. Add to that, the next three ingredients, sifted together. Fold.

Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form and add 2 tbl sugar to the egg whites. These should remain cold.

Fold egg whites/sugar into the batter. Don't over mix. Note: when flour is over-mixed, it breaks down the gluten and your cake will not rise to its full potential...so no over-mixing. Blend, blend, blend.;f

Crust:
1 pkg. graham crackers
1 large plastic zip baggie
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbl sugar
2 tbl melted butter

Crush crackers in baggie with cinnamon and sugar, until crumbs are fine. Pour cracker/cinnamon/sugar crumbs into the bottom of a 10" spring form pan. Add melted butter and by hand, press into the bottom of pan, allowing crumbs to creep up the sides to about 1". Very lightly have the sides of the pan buttered. Not too much...just a bit to prevent sides from sticking to cheesecake, after baking.

Pour batter into pan and bake at 300 degrees for exactly one hour. Do not open the oven, for any reason...unless of course your house is on fire. Leave the cake alone! As soon as the time rings, turn the oven off, immediately...and do not open the oven. Let the cheesecake rest for another hour. Don't open the door!

When the cheesecake has rested, put it on a cooling rack and let completely cool. Put cake UNCOVERED!!! in the refrigerator and serve after 24 hours. The cake gets better and will set properly if you make this a day ahead of time.

Cheesecake is an exact science...so no fudging on the ingredients or the measurements. If you follow the directions explicitly, you will have a cheesecake the resembles the best cheesecakes you will find in any restaurant. I guarantee it! Enjoy...;f

P.S. When the cake is ready to serve, do not remove it from the pan bottom. Remove the sides of the pan and place the cake and pan bottom, onto a decorative platter.

MrsKitty
04-10-2005, 09:38
I am just bumping a few of these I don't want to see get purged :)

chip00
04-12-2005, 08:02
Thanks PM.
I am going to copy and print same.

S2nd
04-12-2005, 10:45
BLAAARG! Separate the whites from the yolks and don't over-beat! That's why mine have been rising funny!

Thanks PatrolMom!