Here's another - Sloppy Joes or Wimpies??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Here's another - Sloppy Joes or Wimpies???

Glock30 CCW
12-07-2003, 19:46
So what do you call 'em?

Up here - it's wimpies. But I cannot let go of my out-west upbringing and call them sloppy joes.

Gary in Pennsylvania

hidden_19
12-08-2003, 15:45
Man'wiches!! ;f ;c

MrsKitty
12-08-2003, 21:13
Originally posted by hidden_19
Man'wiches!! ;f ;c

Beat me to it;e

Zak3056
12-08-2003, 22:13
So who's got their own recipe?

The one I used to make as a kid had a pound of ground beef, an onion (diced), a pepper (diced), a small can of tomato sauce, a few tbs of ketchup and salt and pepper to taste.

Glock30 CCW
12-09-2003, 04:10
pound of ground beef, an onion (diced), a pepper (diced), a small can of tomato sauce, a few tbs of ketchup and salt and pepper to taste.

And always with a touch of Cayenne!

Gary in Pennsylvania

Cali-Glock
12-09-2003, 14:16
My wife calls them "Neat Sams" (some joke from her college days.)

I am was not a huge fan of the bun, and since my wife usually makes baked fries to go with her Neat Sams, I simply forgo the bun, and pour the Neat Sam stuff over my fries.

Mmmm good - I especially love the left overs for lunch.

noway
12-09-2003, 14:37
{pound of ground beef, }

a little bit of history:

Real sloppy Joes are made from the trimming left over from cut brisket and not from ground beef. The Meat markets in texas needed a way to sell the scrapes and thus Sloppy Joes was good alternative to throwin them away or feeding them to the dogs.

My mom's receipe is about 1-2 lbs of brisket trimmings ( you know the small pieces that falls off, when they slice it at the market )

1 can of tomatoe paste
2ea stew tomatoe
1lg dice/slice onions
1 green bell pepper
black ground pepper
1 crushed garlic
teaspoon of cayenne pepper to taste

Cooking this all together and placed it on a toasted hamburger buns and you have a TeXan Sloppy Joe.

USMCsilver
12-10-2003, 09:19
Sloppy Joe.

Belive it or not, I had never had one until about six months ago. My wife told me that was what we were having for dinner, and I asked, "What's wrong, are we broke?"

For some odd reason, I thought it was kinda like a poor person's food. Silly me -- that stuff is kinda yummy.

Toast some bread and spoon it over and then slap on a piece of provolone! YUMMY!

CaptDoug04
12-13-2003, 11:21
Originally posted by hidden_19
Man'wiches!! ;f ;c

Yup!!^7