Would you keep it or sell it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would you keep it or sell it?

Texas T
12-07-2003, 22:14
"Keep or sell what" you ask...

Why the WACO UPF-7 that AOPA is giving away in the next couple of months. I would assume (hope) that most everyone here that flys or has an interest belongs to AOPA, just as those who have guns benefit from belonging to the NRA.

Anyhow, if you've been living under a rock and have no idea as to what I'm talking about, just look at this little beauty here...
http://www.rareaircraft.com/restoration/AOPAWaco03.jpg

So the question is, if you did win it, would you keep it or sell it?

My answer is that I'd sell it. While I would absolutely love to have this plane, the money it would bring would provide much more to me than the ability of that plane to warm the cockles of my heart. Your net after selling it and paying the taxes on it would be in the vicinity of $175,000. After paying off the house, college bills, other bills, and buying a couple of new cars, that would still leave a lot of cash on the table for flying lessons in something similar. :)

T

rwg_bt
12-07-2003, 22:20
Ceteris paribus I would keep it of course, but... in real life, I could simply not afford to do so, for all the obvious reasons.

Texas T
12-07-2003, 22:29
AOPA reported that when they did the initial survey, the results were about 50/50, but when they actually showed the airplance to the public and then asked, the answer was 100% that they would keep it.

My sister has taken the tour near Sedona in the Super Waco that AOPA has been using in their monthly giveaways and she really enjoyed it. Perhaps the next time I visit home I'll head that way and take a ride with them.

Here's a link to their site...
http://www.redrockbiplanetours.com/biplane.html

T

BillCola
12-07-2003, 23:12
I'd keep it. It would be a hardship, but I'd keep it.

Medpilot 2
12-08-2003, 03:34
Sell it and buy a used Lancair 4P. Then I'd wake up.:)

Bullman
12-08-2003, 18:09
I would love to keep it, I have a leather helmet and goggles that would go really well with that Waco. But.... seeing how I don't have a license, and I can't afford to pay attention at this point in my life, if I were to win that baby, I would sell it to one of those 50 percenters who wanted to win it but didn't.

Texas T
12-08-2003, 19:05
Originally posted by Bullman
I would love to keep it, I have a leather helmet and goggles that would go really well with that Waco. They provide the leather helmet and googles to go with the airplance. :)

T

Superfueler
12-09-2003, 07:39
I'd keep it as long as I can, then sell it. As they said in the article, you could buy a Cub and put gas in it for a year with the $100,000 or so profit you'd make from it.

ateamer
12-10-2003, 16:21
I don't have the money to pay the tax, and don't want to take a second on the house to do so, so I'd have to sell it. After getting the taildragger endorsement and as many hours as possible. I'd probably buy either a Super Cub, Cherokee 180/Archer or 172.

BillCola
12-10-2003, 17:46
It would be pretty easy to hang the title to pay the tax, you'd have very low payments, and rates are still good..:cool:

ateamer
12-10-2003, 19:14
Hmmm, maybe I can keep it after all. I am going to win, you know.;P

M2 Carbine
12-10-2003, 21:30
Keep it.

Ask friends to take care of my animals for a couple months and head West, or North, or.................

Skyhook
12-16-2003, 04:21
I'd have to sell it. There's just too few cow pastures and the mail routes are all pretty much taken.
I have flown behind a couple of radials and there's some real romance in that, IMHO. Memories.