Anybody use a FoodSaver?????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a FoodSaver??????

DaleGribble
12-08-2003, 08:14
Anybody use a FoodSaver vacumn sealer??

If so, how do you like it, and do you really save money buying in bulk, since your not throwing away wasted food? I've been contemplating buying one and buying my groceries in bulk for the cash savings and all that, and I'm wondering if they work as good as the infoolmercials claim. At least that's what I have told Mrs. Gribble. I really want it so I can vacumn seal my ammo stash! ^c ^c ^c

hcook
12-08-2003, 08:50
We have a FoodSaver Vac 1050 (http://foodsaver.com/foodsaver_vac1050.cfm), and have found it to be very useful. Foods seem to freeze and thaw quicker when they're vacuum packed (note: I've not timed this, based solely on observation...), and food definitely stays fresh longer.

It does take a little bit of time to do it, and you do need to be careful with any food that has a high liquid content or that is powdered.

Has it saved us money? Perhaps a little. Does it keep food fresher longer? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.

Bill D
12-08-2003, 16:17
I bought the #800, I think, at Bass Pro Shops for $160(you don't have to hold down the entire vacuum period). I went to Costco and spent $100 on boneless chicken breasts and beef filet.
Next the instructions said to pre freeze for 1-2 hours before bagging. Don't let the food touch the inside of the bag where the seal will be made- half of my many bags were full of ice crystals(air) the next morning. Yes there is a learning curve here!
Next, reality hit me. I'm single, 57, and will live in an RV- motor home in the near future- no room for a large freezer. I took it back after I sealed my ammo, etc.!
If you have a freezer and a family, definately buy one.

MarkCO
12-08-2003, 19:34
Yes, they work great. Cabela's has one for about $120 and Sportman's guide has one even cheaper. Ours is a Tilia. It is the onyl thing I have ever bought off of an infomercial and I could not be happier. We save about $250 a year with it based on bulk sales. It is GREAT for fish. If you roll up a paper towel and stick it just inside the sealing area it keeps the liquid from coming out, but better is to get a case of mason jars and use the sealing lids for liquids, soups etc. It makes food last a LOT longer and taste better. A friend of mine vacuum packed his whole elk with it this year. Some things NOT to do...Don't vacuum pack fresh veggies, especially potatoes (unless you like Vodka bombs). For cakes and stuff, you have to pre-freeze it or it will crush it. Never have had to pre-freeze meats. The bags can be bought in rolls and cut to size which we found is the best and most economical way. For things like cheese, which we buy in 10 pounds bricks, we make the bag about 2 times bigger than necessary. Each time you open it, you cut off about a half an inch so by the time you are done, you have a small bag that can be re-used for smaller items. It is also wonderful for marinades. We take a 9x13 baking dish, put the meat and marinade in and slide it in a bag. Then vacuum pack it. The flavor penetrates all the way through and the time drops for 6 hours to 30 minutes.

DaleGribble
12-09-2003, 06:22
Thanks for the replies fellas, that's just the kind of info I was looking for. I think I am gonna go ahead and buy one. I'll probably be vacumn sealing everything in sight!

I'm might even try to vacumn seal an SKS, corrosion protection ya know! ;f ;f ;f

BikerGoddess
12-09-2003, 13:15
I don't really buy in bulk, per se, but I do use it on those things that don't typically last long in the fridge and I can't eat by myself, such as cheese and coffee.

I bought a case each of the different size wide mouth jars and put things like the coffee in it. Works well for cereal or chips, too (when I used to eat those). Doesn't work so well for flour and the brown sugar still gets hard, though.

Oh, and strawberries, while they still *look* good, taste awful. It does something to them that makes them funky.

Meat does last up to a year in a freezer ;J and I'll let you know about the two years as soon as my friend makes up the pork chops ;)

One neat thing is that you can put clothing in a bag and squish it down really flat. I've thought about doing that for packing, but I've never figured out how I would get home with everything ;Q

Mine was worth the $300 purchase price several years ago. And if you did buy in bulk, you'd probably realize savings quicker.

Laura

Skyhook
12-09-2003, 13:53
Bought one for the Bride two years ago, she uses it all the time. The fresh garden produce is stacked in the freezer and finishes up delicious! It was one of my better purchases.
PS: Don't try tomatoes or soups!!;f

Wadely
12-10-2003, 14:42
Originally posted by MarkCO
Don't vacuum pack fresh veggies, especially potatoes (unless you like Vodka bombs).

I'm not getting it. Why not fresh veggies in general? I would think that things like corn and green beans would vacuum and freeze wery well.

I don't know as I would want to try freezing raw potatoes, considering how cheap and fresh they are year-roud... but what in the world is a vodka bomb and how would it make one? One wouldn't (I presume) vacuum pack potatoes and then leave them thawed, so how could they ferment? I just don't get it?

Or is that your point? Don't vacuum pack fresh veggies and then neglect to freeze them?

Now I've gotten myself even more confused!;4

BikerGoddess
12-10-2003, 15:28
Some veggies release gasses. I had a package of carrots explode on me...

Laura

Leigh
12-10-2003, 16:07
We have one in the local restaurant where I bartend....one thing I do suggest, stay with the Foodsaver brand replacement rolls of plastic as opposed to the 3M (I think that's the other brand I've seen at WallyWorld)....the 2 bucks you save is not worth it as far as storage/durability goes.

MarkCO
12-10-2003, 16:19
Originally posted by Wadely
Or is that your point? Don't vacuum pack fresh veggies and then neglect to freeze them?

Exactly my point. Freeze quick, no worries. Refridgerate and you will get a klabooey, as opposed to KB ;a ;a ;a ;h ;h ;h

My wife made vodka with about 8 pounds of potatoes. She VP'd them and put them in the cupboard. About a week later, I saw the cupboard door open, pushed it shut and it popped open. I of course investigated to find a VERY expanded bag about 3 feet long and 2 feet in diameter full of a soopy brown liquid. She had no idea, which of course I did not appreciate :)