Deer hunting with dogs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting with dogs?

onemilmhz
12-08-2003, 23:47
I've been invited by my soon to be brother-in-law to go hunting over the holidays in southeast Georgia. I've never hunted deer with dogs before but my sister said it's a blast. She went for the first time a few weeks ago. I know basically how it works, get out, release the dogs and be ready for anything! Is there anything specific I should prepare for? I know we will be using shotguns so I'll need to get some buckshot. I have hunted deer for several years now but never like this. I'm used to sitting in the stand all morning and hoping something gives me a shot. I hear this is much more fast paced. My sis saw a huge buck when she went but wasn't ready for it. She told me you basically have to be on the alert the entire time and may even have to fire to protect yourself! Yikes! ;P Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

lwt210
12-09-2003, 16:17
I always hunted in stands or stalking.

But several of my high school buddies did the dog thing years ago in deep south Alabama.

Make sure that the bunch that you go with are ethical and don't run their dogs on other people's land and stuff like that. There used to be some that would drink beer, run over farmer's fences, litter, run their dogs all over the place, etc.

I do remember that the deer were sometimes shot up pretty bad at those "drunk red-neck" dog hunts. Not much quality meat left.

I did just fine in stands and miss those times.

But there are good and bad folks wherever you go. Let us know how it turns out.

ReAX222
12-09-2003, 17:23
Still hunting is fine, but dog hunting is the best. First rule is it does not matter if any body kills anything. You are there to hear the dogs and BS on camp grades. Second rule to dog hunting is in the name, you will spend a few hours a day hunt deer the rest is ketching dogs.

Dogs don't know property boundries, they will cross highways and fences like ditches. The trick is staying ahead of them. This sport is tough on trucks.

onemilmhz
12-09-2003, 20:56
Originally posted by lwt210
Make sure that the bunch that you go with are ethical and don't run their dogs on other people's land and stuff like that. There used to be some that would drink beer, run over farmer's fences, litter, run their dogs all over the place, etc.
The folks I'll be going with are definitely south Georgia rednecks, but all good people! I'm sure we'll drink our share of beer AFTER the hunting and back at camp. ;c;c;c His family owns thousands of acres and most of the surrounding landowners will be hunting with us anyway so no fear of treading where we're not wanted.
Originally posted by ReAX222
Still hunting is fine, but dog hunting is the best. First rule is it does not matter if any body kills anything. You are there to hear the dogs and BS on camp grades. Second rule to dog hunting is in the name, you will spend a few hours a day hunt deer the rest is ketching dogs.
I don't care if I we shoot, or even see anything. I'm looking forward to the hanging out and having a good time. From what I hear the dogs eventually come back to camp on their own. My sis was saying that about the time they got the grill going all the dogs would show back up!

lwt210
12-10-2003, 11:18
Yeah, with that much land, y'all won't be messing with anyone else's land.

The guys that I used to know would pull up to OTHER PEOPLE'S land and turn their dogs loose at the side of the road then shoot whatever came out on them.

But the dogs don't know the fences are usually boundaries and will keep on trucking. I do remember the guys whining about having to round their dogs up and how they used CB radios alot to keep up with them.

Happy hunting.

WalterGA
12-10-2003, 16:59
Nobody hunts deer with dogs here in S.W. Ga. There must be only a few counties in GA where it's legal, or maybe nobody around here cares to hunt that way.

Friend of mine is a member of a hunting club near Quincy, FL. They lease 5,000 acres from one of the paper companies and they hunt with dogs. They put radio collars on the dogs and use radio-direcitonal finding equpment and walkie-talkies to keep up with the dogs. I never went hunting with them, but those who hunt that way seem to really like it.

Most of the deer hunting around here is done with rifles.

micah
12-16-2003, 11:00
I always thought hunting deer with dogs was unethical, and IO always thought hunting deer with buckshot was unethical. Oh well, good luck and have fun.

water_daddy
12-16-2003, 12:46
I'm sure there respectable hunters that use hounds for deer, BUT I DON'T KNOW ANY. They tend to be jerks who don't mind trespassing, shooting at anything, and lack consideration for others around them. Big game dog hunting has done a real disservice to the hunting community here. Every year the antis get plenty of ammo from this group. Apoligies to the few who do exhibit good judgment respect game, property, and others.

DeLandSkyjumper
12-19-2003, 23:03
Look at it from a deers perspective:

1. You're on the run, you take a hit, because the the guy behind the gun did not use good judgement. He thought he could take you on the run, but instead maims you.

2. The dogs might catch you before you get shot. Real pretty scene. Amusement for the hunter at you're expense. (I'm leaning more to the already being sick/injured side.)

3. You've been run so long, you're heart explodes.

4. Or take a couple of pellets, (maybe in the "face", eye, nose, ear, throat, get my drift) infection starts to occur and now you're in real pain,and probably maimed. Why the hell did'nt he at least use a slug?

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against responsable hunting, but I have never/will never understand the sport of using dogs to run deer, or using shotguns on deer.

KB4IFS
12-20-2003, 12:46
Never thought much of hunting with dogs until I lived in NC. You have to see some of the terrain they hunt. It would be hard for a snake to get through. Deer tended to be smaller, but never saw one with a peppered face. Don't really believe in the exploded heart thought. Actually never saw a dog catch a deer at all. The deer were way ahead of them and there were plenty of deer let through. Similar to man driven hunts, but yes the dogs make it faster. Would this then make all hunting with dogs unethical since each one is dependent of an animal to make the job easier? Anyway, you'll find out they're good people and if you give them the chance, they even are friendly to Yankees. BTW, the South doesn't have a monapoly on bad hunters. Heck, you talk like being a Redneck is a bad thing.:)

DeLandSkyjumper
12-20-2003, 13:55
KB4IFS, very few still hunt clubs around here, most all run dogs. Yes the terrain around here isn't the greatest either, very wet and pretty tight. Over the years I've heard the stories that I mentioned from guys that I know who use dogs. As far as being peppered in the face, no I havn't heard of or seen it, but very easily can happen. Just takes a little thought. There is no way that any shot will hold as tight of a diameter as a slug or bullet after leaving a barrel, especially when taking a shot from 50-100 yrds out. Very easy to lead a little too much and only land a couple of pellets or for that fact just a bad shot and only leave the deer wounded, that was what I was getting at. I feel that there should be more responsibility and better judgement used from some when their intention is to take a life.

On the subject of terrain, I was talking with a buddy last week, he was telling me about a deer he shot several years back about around here about a mile and a half back off the road from where his truck was parked. He humped it out over his shoulders. Said it took him a while, but he got it out. FL size.

KB4IFS
12-20-2003, 14:21
I didn't say deer didn't get peppered, I just never saw it. The deer I saw that were run came out of the brush lopping along rather easily. Now I'm sure some elsewhere came out like they were on fire. Funny story. I was hunting at the WMA outside Cherry Point NC one day. I was walking to my portable stand and had a "scent" on my boots. Up I went about 15 feet, secured with a belt and pulled up the shotgun, unloaded of course. Was on stand about 30 minutes when I heard the faint sound of the "dawgs". Well about five minutes later I'm in the stand with four deer dogs barking like hell below the stand. Had to of been a funny sight no matter how you see it

KB4IFS
12-20-2003, 14:22
I didn't say deer didn't get peppered, I just never saw it. The deer I saw that were run came out of the brush lopping along rather easily. Now I'm sure some elsewhere came out like they were on fire. Funny story. I was hunting at the WMA outside Cherry Point NC one day. I was walking to my portable stand and had a "scent" on my boots. Up I went about 15 feet, secured with a belt and pulled up the shotgun, unloaded of course. Was on stand about 30 minutes when I heard the faint sound of the "dawgs". Well about five minutes later I'm in the stand with four deer dogs barking like hell below the stand. Had to of been a funny sight no matter how you see it^c

whizz
12-20-2003, 16:08
Here in Sweden almost all deer hunting is done with dogs. Regulations are pretty tough and you are only allowed to use slow dogs (short legged). The deer does not get especially stressed and just keeps around 200 yds between itself and the dog. It is very exciting as you can hear the dog barking and follow the tracking by listening. Usually I hunt with a rifle and not with a shotgun. Handguns are not allowed for hunting in sweden.

DeLandSkyjumper
12-20-2003, 17:27
Whizz, I just edited an earlier post. This topic kinda got me a little excited when I saw it and threw a quick reply back. I was leaning more towards a sick or injured deer being run and getting caught by the dogs.

KB4IFS- I liked your funny story.

KB4IFS
12-20-2003, 17:38
Glad you enjoyed the story;f Well there is no way to cull the sick and injured from the herd. Natural selection at work and it can be cruel. I hope if that was the case someone would in down quick.

vafish
12-20-2003, 18:47
I've hunted on property where the neighboring hunt club used dogs.

For the most part they used short legged beagles for the deer. The main reason was the dogs were slower and the deer would be moving relatively slow when they came by you.

The dogs worked real well for getting deer to move out of the thickets and hiding places.