CCWs and General Aviation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCWs and General Aviation

C150J
12-09-2003, 01:18
Here's a very fitting question for this forum. Keep in mind that I have no experience with CCWs, as I'm 20 and live in NYS.

Is there anything that precludes a private plane owner from CCWing in their aircraft? I haven't consulted the FARs on this matter, but recall that it is routine in AK for pilots to carry long-arms in their aircraft. Obviously, some airports prohibit firearms, but what about the run-of-the-mill GA field?

Blue Skies!
J.

BillCola
12-10-2003, 17:52
To the best of my knowledge...it isn't even addressed. I ask you...with the world seemingly focused of GA security, or apparent lack therof, what is the wise thing to do?

Ahab's gettin' clipped if he tries for my plane!

Further, I have no intention of overflying or landing in any state that won't recognize at least one of the CCW's in my little collection. Pee on 'em. :cool:

CDM
12-10-2003, 21:17
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the FAR's that prohibit it for GA.

At least in TX, the state only prohibits CCW in the secured area of the terminal, and the wording in the law is very specific. Every FBO I've ever been to doesn't fall under the definition.

I thought about asking the San Antonio Intl Airport training officer about it when I got my security badge/ramp pass, but I decided to just leave well-enough alone.

I believe there was a thread on this at packing.org some time ago and the concensus was that there were no FAR's prohibiting it, so it would depend on state regs.

Skyhook
12-16-2003, 04:28
Imagine geting 'made' at the local apron when, unbeknownst to you, the security guys are messin' 'bout cause some Big Muky-Muk is coming in or leaving. That might liven' up your day.
This is a neat question especially for those of us who often fly over stretches of wild territory. I do remember one local pilot who almost always flew armed.. he said it was for the event of him getting trapped in the burning cockpit. Grizzly, eh?

GooseGestapo
12-22-2003, 14:21
Seems every airplane should have at least one !!!

Seems back in 'Ought one'; I heard about two that got flown into some real tall buildings, 'cause they didn't have any guns.

My Cessna 172 and a friends '64-"D" Aztec had as many as 6 or more on numerous occasions. Seldom fewer than two!

I thought Airplanes were to take people and guns to "happy hunting grounds".

Airplanes without guns ????

I guess Alaska would have to shut down !!!

flygirl
12-28-2003, 06:40
As far as I know small aircraft using the Anchorage International rwys would not allow it as you are in a secure tarmak. But as far as the Merrill field departures I would have to guess the same would apply. We also have the lake Hood water way, and using that I don't think that it would apply. We have many hunting charter flights comming and going from Anchorage, and they would pack in their own weapons for the hunt. In that case if they were stored in a locked case then they would be as cargo. CCW carry is questionable though.
I do know some small aircraft pilots that are never without. But I think that they also carry open. The FARS don't realy say anything about it as far as I recall. Correct me if I'm wrong.